Dallas officer kills man after mistaking apartment for her own, police say

'stache

Wait wait, I've always wanted to be one of the prison-isn't-bad-enough Surly posters. Perfect timing. 

Hope that fucking bitch is ready to get raped everyday in the shower and brutally assaulted by the guards. If you ask me, prison is too good for her and she shouldn't even have gotten a trial and they should have just executed her. 

• Like 2

Just now, hopkinsnhorns said:

Brother of Botham just says that he personally wished she didn't have to go to jail and could just do as his brother would have wanted, and give her life over to Christ.  Now he's hugging her.

Although it's a lot to ask of someone in his position, that is a truly Christian reaction.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
10 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
I'm just taking the win.  It's not everything I think she deserved, but it's a lot better than I expected.

This is in no way a win. At all. Cop gets away yet again with this shit. Walking into an innocent man's home and shooting him dead and gets off light. 10 years is nothing. Especially with the possibility of parole.

She's a convicted felon, can never be a cop again, and gets to spend the next 5-7 years in prison.  We all thought she was walking.  How is that not a win?

She should be going away for 20+.  No argument there.  But to say this is not a win is absolutely wrong.

10 years and she may serve 7?

That's the way it should be, imo. There's way too much "lock 'em up for life" bullshit going on today. Imo, of course. And yes, at times I'm one of those "lock 'em up for along time" people.

We need to follow the Scandihoovian method of penal management. Again, just imo.

She fucked up. Big Time. This is not an unreasonable sentence. It's not Aaron Persky/Brock Turner. 

Edited by Asithappens
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

Brother of Botham just says that he personally wished she didn't have to go to jail and could just do as his brother would have wanted, and give her life over to Christ.  Now he's hugging her.

Christianity needed this. 

Good example. Very Christ-like.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, NowThis said:

i'm not interested in fucking 'starting points'. Do something of substance.  What a loser mentality I'm seeing here. Go for the gusto bitches!  Damn, i feel so bad for the victim family now, it's a big F Y to them. Bitch will be out in 5-6 years.  White Females get very soft sentences all the time, does Surly want to fight?

Then you're not interested in real change.  Because real change happens incrementally.  It doesn't happen overnight.  10+ years ago, she walks on this.  So I'd say that's progress.

And yes, the sentences women get (especially when it comes to teachers fucking their students) is absurd compared to what happens to men.

3 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

10 years and she may serve 7?

That's the way it should be, imo. There's way too much "lock 'em up for life" bullshit going on today. Imo, of course. 

We need to follow the Scandihoovian method of penal management. Again, just imo.

She fucked up. Big Time. This is not an unreasonable sentence. It's not Aaron Persky/Brock Turner. 

Gagreed.  35-40 years is tantamount to a life sentence.  It certainly takes the good part and with prison conditions and healthcare, probably all of it.  And we hand those out like candy, especially at the federal level for offenses where no one got killed.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

10 years is nothing to sneeze at.  It's plenty.  Most sentences are too damned long anyway.
If the Balch Springs guy got 15, 10 is appropriate here.
She won't do the 10. That's one issue. The other issue is you specifically mentioned another cop. 2 cops who shot to kill when it was not necessary. So then cops play by different rules. That precedent still remains. Cop kills innocent black man and a slap on the wrist relative to the crime. Still in play. It will never change. Justice system at it's finest.

7 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
8 minutes ago, hookem17 said:
Yes. Yes. 

I would not budge at all of anything less than 25. What happens then if someone refuses to give in. Can you hang a jury at sentencing?

Yes, it does happen. A new jury gets picked to re-hear the punishment portion of the trial. 

I’ve served as a juror once in a criminal case.  It took us less than 5 minutes to make a unanimous decision on sentencing (life, which was the max).  It was such a terrifying and disgusting case with evidence that left no doubt whatsoever as to guilt, no one really considered anything else.  I would imagine there was a pretty big spread on what each juror thought was right on this one.

4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
12 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

10 years is nothing to sneeze at.  It's plenty.  Most sentences are too damned long anyway.

She won't do the 10. That's one issue. The other issue is you specifically mentioned another cop. 2 cops who shot to kill when it was not necessary. So then cops play by different rules. That precedent still remains. Cop kills innocent black man and a slap on the wrist relative to the crime. Still in play. It will never change. Justice system at it's finest.

Do you not see a difference between this and the Balch Springs deal?  If you don't then you are not capable of rational thought.

I freely admit that I believe the range of sentences in our justice system needs a serious overhaul and recalibration.

And if I am going to support that notion, I'm going to support it when it comes to sentencing cops, white collars, and gang-banger drug dealers, Paul Manafort and Donald fuckin Trump.

Edited by TwiceHorn

This is as best as I could have hoped.  This is how the justice system is supposed to work.  These are some strong steps that should help her in her rehabilitation.  Having the brother of the man you murdered wishing you the best, offering you a hug, and asking you to turn your life over to Christ is absolutely incredible.  If there is a shred of humanity in Amber, I hope she let's this momentum turn her life around and bring some good into the world.

Edited by hopkinsnhorns
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:
9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

You're right, of course, but it reminds me of a line in The Big Lebowski: "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an ...."

Look, if you're looking for a perfect system of logic and completely "fair" (however that's defined) treatment of everybody in the criminal justice system you're naive. And you can ALWAYS play the "yeah, but look at that" card. This was a good trial (imo) and a fair sentence. Yeah, the world is still unfair. This trial didn't change that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Then you're not interested in real change.  Because real change happens incrementally.  It doesn't happen overnight.  10+ years ago, she walks on this.  So I'd say that's progress.

And yes, the sentences women get (especially when it comes to teachers fucking their students) is absurd compared to what happens to men.

Real change means a bigger sentence. They missed a slam dunk and you (and others) have a loser mentality.  Rise up, F the system hard, nothing soft.  You are too soft.

a climax of a perfect verdict with the deep disappointment of the soft sentence.

also, put "white" women vs. "black women" for the disparity. I'm sure it's huge as well.

If you want to commit murder in America, best to be a middle class or richer,  young white female. It's completely unacceptable.

3 minutes ago, msudawg said:

The judge is hugging Amber now.. wow. 

Yall can bitch about the years.. but something special is going on here. 

I wish our criminal justice system had more of this going on. 

Don't discard people. Amber made a terrible mistake. Forgiveness is a powerful thing.

• Like 5

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

The solution is not to ratchet up everyone's sentence, it's to ratchet them all down.

exactly.

too many people just want to completely ruin another person's life. 10 years feels about right to me. that's a fucking decade. that's a significant amount of a person's time on earth.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Asithappens said:

I wish our criminal justice system had more of this going on. 

Don't discard people. Amber made a terrible mistake. Forgiveness is a powerful thing.

We have completely lost sight of this.  Granted, there are some awful people in the justice system, but it treats them all like they're awful and irredeemable.

• Like 1

She got time and the family seems to be forgiving her. She is paying a price, rightfully so, even though it is clearly not how much some of the board wanted. At the end of the day, my first sentence is all that matters. No reason to be upset with the outcome, because the family sure doesn’t seem to be. They are the ones that matter, not anyone one of our hot takes.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The solution is not to ratchet up everyone's sentence, it's to ratchet them all down.

This crime deserves more, but it would be more palatable if the others were “ratcheted down.” But that’s the entire problem, if this is the right punishment, we should be emptying our prisons right now at light speed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Capn81 said:

She got time and the family seems to be forgiving her. She is paying a price, rightfully so, even though it is clearly not how much some of the board wanted. At the end of the day, my first sentence is all that matters. No reason to be upset with the outcome, because the family sure doesn’t seem to be. They are the ones that matter, not anyone one of our hot takes.

Well, yes and no.

The justice system doesn't actually serve the victims.  It serves society.

For a long time, the justice system ignored victims, and that was wrong.  But it's gone too far the other way, particularly when the victims become vengefully bloodthirsty, as they sometimes do.

To me, it's gratifying that the Jeans are acting out their faith.  That means that they are going to well and truly move past this, to the maximum extent possible.  Those victims that put their entire faith and  in the justice system ultimately will hold an empty bag.

About all the justice system can do for victims is money, "closure," and vengeance, and over the long haul, those are all pretty empty things.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Don't ratchet up sentence's plus actually turn jails into something that rehabs people and not just chews them up..spits them out.. if they get out... and then are worthless to society and not up to date socially. 

Amazing moment after Guyger sentencing. Botham Jean’s little brother Brandt tells Guyger he loves her, forgives her, and wishes she didn’t have to go to prison. He also says Botham would feel the same. Then asks, “can I hug you?” Wow!
We can learn a thing or 2 from him.

596add1c63006f85a4f52f1b14a197f6.jpg

And then the judge went back into her office and came back into the courtroom and gave Amber her personal bible. And they talked and hugged. Huge emotion for everyone involved.
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

The jury has made two incredibly tough decisions: convicting her of murder, and showing some form of compassion by not sentencing her to life.  I can't imagine being in that room.  I commend them for their open-mindedness 

I'm sorry, were you under the impression there was any chance in hell she'd get life in prison? 

1 minute ago, cattail said:

There are bleks sitting in prison longer for having a big bag of weed....

everyone knew better, right?

sorry, i wanted this bitch to get a much tougher sentence, and I can agree with the inconsistencies in the 'corrections' for these crimes.

Simple solution is to not possess the weed, though.

Edited by Iceman
  • Fuck You 1

For those of you who think this should be 20-40 years, what fact pattern that constitutes murder would you think justifies the lower end of the spectrum of the punishment range?

Also, how much money would someone have to pay you to accept a 10 year prison sentence starting today?

It's just funny because I leaned very heavily to the state's favor in this case, but I think putting her in prison for a quarter century would be insane, counterproductive, and pointless.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, cattail said:

There are bleks sitting in prison longer for having a big bag of weed....

And I don't think you would find one person in this thread that believes there is justice in those sentences.  Blame Nixon's war on drugs.  Blame Reagan and Clinton for amping up that war and mandatory minimums.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

And I don't think you would find one person in this thread that believes there is justice in those sentences.  Blame Nixon's war on drugs.  Blame Reagan and Clinton for amping up that war and mandatory minimums.

Anytime and everytime any politician tries to curry political favor with some new crime or punishment or crime policy, view that politician with extreme jaundice.  

Even if it's well-meaning now, or seems appropriate in view of the latest atrocity, it's bound to have dire unintended consequences.

• Like 1