Dallas officer kills man after mistaking apartment for her own, police say

'stache

https://www.waterton.com/news/waterton-acquires-288-unit-apartment-community-dallas

Smart home technology, which was installed in some units prior to Waterton’s acquisition, will be introduced by Waterton into the remaining apartments. This technology provides residents with keyless entry and the ability to control in‐unit lighting and temperature from their smartphones.

Don't know what the hallway looks like, but I can envision someone absorbed in thinking about something else accidentally going to the wrong door, maybe even swiping their card/fob and if the door had been left unlocked then opening the door without noticing the green open light didn't activate.  Victim could have been already close to the door and hearing a noise and seeing it upon start moving toward it.  Cop is startled seeing someone unexpected within feet of her approaching reflexively draws and fires.  Doesn't excuse the decision to shoot first and retreat/think later.

How long has she lived there?  Can the doors be left unlocked?  Did she know the neighbor?  How far apart were their doors?  Was she on the wrong floor?  Took the stairs or hit the wrong button on the elevator? 

Regardless of circumstance, she killed someone while she was trespassing and was not responding to a distress call.  So why was she not arrested, or at least detained until interviewed?

Have studies been done on if female officers are more likely to reflexively shoot earlier in certain situations?  Because of the more frequent size disadvantage are they, on average, more likely to innately escalate to using their weapon?   I'd be curious how she scored on personality testing:  is her first instinct to make decisions based on logic or emotion?  For 2/3rds of females and 1/3rd of males it is emotion, which can be overcome by awareness/training, but it is how we are born. 

Edited by clapclapclap

People probably ought to hang wreaths on their doors to differentiate the apartments. And change them out for the seasons. For instance, it’s September and you could put out a Pumpkin Spice themed wreath. That way, you walk into your apartment with the smell of autumn in the air and just maybe you won’t get shot by a tired L.E.O..

Just a suggestion.

• Like 1

If charged, I'm sure the officer will raise the Castle Doctrine because she "reasonably thought" she was in her own apartment.  Wonder if that defense has been successfully used in this context - mistakenly thinking you're in your own dwelling and defending yourself.

I'd say there's no chance, but affluenza worked, so who knows.

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

"The officer was not injured in the shooting"

Good thing they cleared that up. 

Just another way of saying that there was no sign of an altercation prior to the shooting. That fact actually makes it harder for her to claim self defense. It is someone pertinent to the story. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

https://www.waterton.com/news/waterton-acquires-288-unit-apartment-community-dallas

Don't know what the hallway looks like, but I can envision someone absorbed in thinking about something else accidentally going to the wrong door, maybe even swiping their card/fob and if the door had been left unlocked then opening the door without noticing the green open light didn't activate.  Victim could have been already close to the door and hearing a noise and seeing it upon start moving toward it.  Cop is startled seeing someone unexpected within feet of her approaching reflexively draws and fires.  Doesn't excuse the decision to shoot first and retreat/think later.

How long has she lived there?  Can the doors be left unlocked?  Did she know the neighbor?  How far apart were their doors?  Was she on the wrong floor?  Took the stairs or hit the wrong button on the elevator? 

Regardless of circumstance, she killed someone while she was trespassing and was not responding to a distress call.  So why was she not arrested, or at least detained until interviewed?

Have studies been done on if female officers are more likely to reflexively shoot earlier in certain situations?  Because of the more frequent size disadvantage are they, on average, more likely to innately escalate to using their weapon?   I'd be curious how she scored on personality testing:  is her first instinct to make decisions based on logic or emotion?  For 2/3rds of females and 1/3rd of males it is emotion, which can be overcome by awareness/training, but it is how we are born. 

That's a lot of unnecessary questions.  Did you not see that she just finished working a full shift?

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

"I won't go into that information right now," Dallas police spokesman Sgt. Warren Mitchell said. "I mean, we have not interviewed her, and like I said this is just a preliminary statement. We still have a lot to do in this investigation. ... This is all we can give you at this time."

Until a couple years ago DPD had a policy of allowing officers involved in a shooting up to 72 hours before they had to give a statement.  They also had permission to view all video tape before making their statement.  After growing protests, they ended that policy and were going to treat officers the same as everyone else with respect to giving statements.   The fact that they hadn't interviewed her seems to indicate that is not actually the cases.

This is why people hate the police.

I can't image a scenario where a joe-public goes in a wrong apartment, shoots and kills someone , and isn't arrested on the spot.

There are 2 types of cops: 

• Those that commit crimes
  • Those that allow criminal cops to commit crimes

She's in the first group, but how many dozens of cops are covering her ass, probably letting her sober up, helping her craft a story, not asking key questions, etc.

Edited by 0xdeadbeef
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Until a couple years ago DPD had a policy of allowing officers involved in a shooting up to 72 hours before they had to give a statement.  They also had permission to view all video tape before making their statement.  After growing protests, they ended that policy and were going to treat officers the same as everyone else with respect to giving statements.   The fact that they hadn't interviewed her seems to indicate that is not actually the cases.

This is why people hate the police.

I can't image a scenario where a joe-public goes in a wrong apartment, shoots and kills someone , and isn't arrested on the spot.

She's in the first group, but how many dozens of cops are covering her ass, probably letting her sober up, helping her craft a story, not asking key questions, etc.

Generalize much?

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 4

If any of us did this (guilty or not); we’d at minimum be sitting in jail waiting for a bail hearing.  A cop does it and they go home without questioning and continue to collect a pay check...

Edited by SDG
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Dallas police spokesman Sgt. Warren Mitchell said. "I mean, we have not interviewed her,

This.  This remains jaw-dropping.

Any other person walks into another person's apartment and shoots the occupant dead.....you're goddamned right they have been interviewed, right away.

This is special treatment, plaint and simple.  And it's utterly disgusting and incompatible with a society that claims to be one of Rule of Law.  It reveals that we are actually a Rule of Badge society, and Badge trumps Law.  Cops are above the law.  And don't you forget it.

Read an article about the guy written by Harding Univ, his alma mater, seemed like a great person /nosarcasm. Damn shame and waste 

ok maybe not written by Harding, but here's the article

https://christianchronicle.org/fatal-mistake-harding-graduate-known-for-his-beautiful-singing-voice-killed/

Edited by bluto

48 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

46 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Generalize much?

He did leave off the third group, those few cops that are either run off, or killed, by the other cops.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DigDug said:

I am finding her version a little difficult to believe.

This.  Unless drunk, how often would you walk up to the door other than your own, thinking it was your house or apartment?  And how often would that door be unlocked?  

Mitchell said that after the officer reported Jean was wounded, other police officers who responded administered first aid to him.

So, she realizes she has shot a man in his own home (not her home) but never renders any aid to the dying victim?

Edited by pacman

Just now, pacman said:

So, she realizes she has shot a man in his own home (not her home) but never renders any aid to the dying victim?

I'm guessing she shot him. Figured it out and took off home.

Y'all are missing the most important point. The (soon to be released) news that this guy was a drug dealer/had unpaid parking tickets/beats his dog/worked at Subway.

Time for the full-on character assault spin.

• Like 1