Dallas officer kills man after mistaking apartment for her own, police say

'stache

Just a few weeks ago, I heard somebody put a key in my door and try to enter.  Door was locked, so no dice.  I looked through the peep hole and saw some chick who lives in my building walking away with her dog.  She probably lives in the same unit right above me.

It happens.  But pulling out a gun and putting a cap in someone's ass who is in the right apartment is so far out in left field that we are missing a lot of stuff, that hopefully comes out.

35 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Just a few weeks ago, I heard somebody put a key in my door and try to enter.  Door was locked, so no dice.  I looked through the peep hole and saw some chick who lives in my building walking away with her dog.  She probably lives in the same unit right above me.

It happens.  But pulling out a gun and putting a cap in someone's ass who is in the right apartment is so far out in left field that we are missing a lot of stuff, that hopefully comes out.

I guess I can see that.  A lot of those apartment complex, the units are completely the same and I can see someone tired forgetting if they walked up 2 or three flights.  Doesn't excuse a "trained" officer thinking that shooting first is your best option.

It much have been a bad feeling when she walked in and saw someone else's furniture and realized she was in the wrong apartment.  Obvious he felt worse about it than she did.   

Edited by Lhorn

50 minutes ago, woohorn said:

No point in speculating at this point, so totally unrelated q...

Think any police force in the country permits officers to drink in uniform? Just seems like a no-no.

Is it allowed off-base in the military?

Depended on the port of call. Sometimes they wanted us to be inconspicuous, other times in dress whites/blues. Nothing prettier than a shit load of shit faced sailors staggering back to the ship in dress whites after an evening of debauchery. Missing hats, ties, bloody knees... stupidest thing I ever saw was sending a bunch of 20 somethings into a town dressed that way.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Depended on the port of call. Sometimes they wanted us to be inconspicuous, other times in dress whites/blues. Nothing prettier than a shit load of shit faced sailors staggering back to the ship in dress whites after an evening of debauchery. Missing hats, ties, bloody knees... stupidest thing I ever saw was sending a bunch of 20 somethings into a town dressed that way.

huh. i thought it was usually the sailors getting the BJs. 

I used to live in a big complex.  I've tried to go in the wrong apartment a couple of times.  Even when hammered, if the key didn't work, my first reaction was to look at the apartment number and see if I''m at the right door.  
You mean you didn't bang on the door to get someone to open up and then murder them?

3 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I used to live in a big complex.  I've tried to go in the wrong apartment a couple of times.  Even when hammered, if the key didn't work, my first reaction was to look at the apartment number and see if I''m at the right door.  

In fairness, you're probably not female. 

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2018/09/06/shooting-reported-cedars-near-dallas-police-headquarters

Police intend to seek a manslaughter charge against a Dallas officer who shot and killed a 26-year-old man Thursday night when she entered his apartment near downtown, apparently mistaking it for her own.

"This is a very unique situation," Police Chief U. Renee Hall said at an afternoon news conference. "We have ceased handling it under our normal protocol as an officer-involved shooting."

Hall said that police are obtaining a warrant charging the officer, whom the chief declined to name until she is formally charged.

The chief said the officer's blood was drawn to test for alcohol and drugs, and the Texas Rangers have been called in to conduct an independent investigation...

Mitchell said that after the officer reported Jean was wounded, other police officers who responded administered first aid to him. He was taken to Baylor University Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead...

...It was unclear how the officer got into the wrong apartment, where residents said they can access their units with a regular key or through a keypad code.

Police didn't indicate that anyone else had witnessed the shooting, but two women who live on the second floor near where the shooting happened said they heard a lot of noise late Thursday.

"It was, like, police talk: 'Open up! Open up!'" 20-year-old Caitlin Simpson said.

Yazmine Hernandez, 20, was studying with Simpson when they heard the commotion.

"We heard cops yelling," she said, "but otherwise had no idea what was going on...."

https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/news/dallas-chief-charges-coming-for-officer-who-fatally-shot-man-in-his-own-home/287-591760228

The officer who is a five year veteran, according to sources was going home after a 12- hour shift when she walked into the wrong apartment and shot the man inside.

The officer was in full uniform when the shooting happened just after 10 p.m. Thursday....

What time did her 12-hour shift end?

Edited by clapclapclap
BTW, that damn Dallas Morning News website jams in a million unstoppable video commercials.

I saw a movie one time where this female corrections officer was letting pretty much the entire incarcerated population bang her, sometimes more than one at a time.  So at the end of her shift she was like completely exhausted. So I'm wondering if maybe something similar happened here.....you know, with the guys in jail there in Dallas doing, you know, the banging.

Just a thought..

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

I saw a movie one time where this female corrections officer was letting pretty much the entire incarcerated population bang her, sometimes more than one at a time.  So at the end of her shift she was like completely exhausted. So I'm wondering if maybe something similar happened here.....you know, with the guys in jail there in Dallas doing, you know, the banging.

Just a thought..

Sounds like a documentary.  Very academic and scientific.

10 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

The article also makes a point of saying she was still in full uniform. She will skate completely free. Dallas taxpayers will be picking up the bill in the civil trial.

Eh, not so sure about that.  Dallas has a black police chief and a black DA, both of whom are sensitive to "community issues."  And a Dallas County jury just convicted a cop of murder. 

That's going to depend on the facts, though.

Moreover, since she was off duty, I don't see how the City gets tagged with anything in a civil suit.

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Eh, not so sure about that.  Dallas has a black police chief and a black DA, both of whom are sensitive to "community issues."  And a Dallas County jury just convicted a cop of murder. 

Moreover, since she was off duty, I don't see how the City gets tagged with anything in a civil suit.

Well, all LEOs in Texas become "on duty" the instant they see a crime being committed.  Seriously, that's the law -- or at least it used to be. It's intended to protect cops - "I was acting as an officer of the law, and therefore I have immunity."

If she identified or otherwise acted as an officer, that may be a fact question.

Oh, and I'm betting heavy money on either 1) she was sleeping with the dude, or 2) she was seriously shithammered, or the exacta -- BOTH.

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Maybe. She was in uniform and shot him with her service weapon while believing he was committing a crime.  

Had she witnessed an actual crime, say in the hallway, and intervened, she would not be considered off duty for her actions during intervention or arrest. She would have been considered back on duty and would have clocked her time afterward. 

The really sad thing is that had she accidentally walked into a white guy's apartment, its likely that no death would have occurred. 

6 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Maybe. She was in uniform and shot him with her service weapon while believing he was committing a crime.  

Had she witnessed an actual crime, say in the hallway, and intervened, she would not be considered off duty for her actions during intervention or arrest. She would have been considered back on duty and would have clocked her time afterward. 

The really sad thing is that had she accidentally walked into a white guy's apartment, its likely that no death would have occurred. 

She apparently will be charged with manslaughter.  https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/dallas/article218001020.html

And, even if she was "under color of law," a Monell claim is going to be very hard to make.  I don't really see the City eating much of this.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Also, in the course of scanning for this, I did discover something that answered a question I have posed here and at the old place, which is, notwithstanding qualified immunity and the lack of respondeat superior in civil rights claims, do municipalities have/provide insurance coverage to cops.  And the answer, in Texas, seems to be yes, via the Texas Municipal League.  https://www.tmlirp.org/newsletters/mm-09-13.pdf