Dallas officer kills man after mistaking apartment for her own, police say

'stache

20 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Eh, not so sure about that.  Dallas has a black police chief and a black DA, both of whom are sensitive to "community issues."  And a Dallas County jury just convicted a cop of murder. 

That's going to depend on the facts, though.

Moreover, since she was off duty, I don't see how the City gets tagged with anything in a civil suit.

The facts are she was trying to forcibly enter his apartment and shot him. She shouldn't have a leg to stand on.

7 minutes ago, Deej said:

The facts are she was trying to forcibly enter his apartment and shot him. She shouldn't have a leg to stand on.

She looks like shes going down under the circumstances. The real question is whether the department or the city are going to be on the hook for damages in a civil suit. 

I think they should be since she intervened in what she thought was a crime. The PD is treating it as fully off duty though, but that's probably a CYA more than anything else. I guess we will find out once civil charges are filed.

6 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

I think they should be since she intervened in what she thought was a crime.

How do we know this?  Not trying to be a dick.

And even if she was "on duty." there's no respondeat superior in a Bivens claim and the Tort Claims Act is going to limit his family to $250k.  And apparently that's going to be covered by a TML policy.

Edited by TwiceHorn

25 minutes ago, naija said:

ummm, if its a White scorned ex, it will still get racial... from both sides

I think if there's a clear motive that has absolutely nothing to do with DPD, they can just punish her.

It will look way better for DPD than what it looks like now. Which is that its officers cant even go home right without murdering innocent black men, and pretty much getting away with it.

Edited by cmontexas
Terrible runon and grammer

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Eh, not so sure about that.  Dallas has a black police chief and a black DA, both of whom are sensitive to "community issues."  And a Dallas County jury just convicted a cop of murder. 

That's going to depend on the facts, though.

Moreover, since she was off duty, I don't see how the City gets tagged with anything in a civil suit.

By thier own admission “uniform”.

Edited by SDG

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

How do we know this?  Not trying to be a dick.

And even if she was "on duty." there's no respondeat superior in a Bivens claim and the Tort Claims Act is going to limit his family to $250k.  And apparently that's going to be covered by a TML policy.

That's right.  Tort Claims Act.  I forgot yall fuck plaintiffs hard in Texas.  He has as much chance of justice as if he was killed by a Sheikh in Riyadh.  She will probably even still get to vest in and keep her whole pension.  She should have killed all his heirs for the price of one since yall allow it.  Nobody to file a claim at all then.

I guess shes lucky that he doesnt have any kids yet who would care about real justice.  Cuz they would probably price it at a few million but if they cant get that, they could probably buy it for less than 100k at a Texas women's prison. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

But even Tort Claims Act is 500k for bodily injury, no?  Which I assume includes death. Still probably not enough justice for an offspring heir but much better than 250k.

And I'm not from such a backwards state, so tell me how this law works. If I make 600k a year and you unlawfully kill me, my kids are capped at 500k on a wrongful death suit?

29 minutes ago, Hanrahan said:

So why don’t you post a link to it?

Because I'm waiting to see it posted from a credible source instead of Internet sleuths like jim bob, Supastar J. Kwik!, BeholdAluminati and Priestess Moonfire. Those are some of the actual Twitter accounts that have posted her name and pics. 

If you search Twitter for #BothamJean, you'll see them. 

7 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

But even Tort Claims Act is 500k for bodily injury, no?  Which I assume includes death. Still probably not enough justice for an offspring heir but much better than 250k.

And I'm not from such a backwards state, so tell me how this law works. If I make 600k a year and you unlawfully kill me, my kids are capped at 500k on a wrongful death suit?

It's the Texas Tort Claims Act.  The waiver of sovereign immunity.  Limits personal injury damages, including death, to $250k per person, $500k per incident.  It only applies to the state, county and municipal entities.

Has nothing to do with individual or other non-governmental entities.

8 hours ago, SDG said:

By thier own admission “uniform”.

Here's the deal with that.  If off-duty and working security, and doing security things, they are employed by the security company.  If doing personal things, they are not within the scope of their employment by the Department.  If, however, they are making an arrest (Texas cops have jurisdiction to make arrests for a few crimes that they witness), then they are within the scope of their employment, on- or off-duty.  Uniform or no uniform.

But, a federal civil rights claim has a different type of immunity, hard to punch through at times, but no caps on liability. However, unless the employing department had a policy or practice of doing what is complained of, there's no liability for the governmental employer.

the guy that posted that has already put several disclaimers that its not verified information, he doesn't know who ANYONE in the picture is, just saw it somewhere and wanted to repost.

social media is the Devil's work at times

Most of the time.

All the time

However, I don't think anyone will be shocked if this turns out to have been a scorned ex gone crazy.

Only thing worse than a crazy ex, is a crazy ex with a gun.

This.  This remains jaw-dropping.
Any other person walks into another person's apartment and shoots the occupant dead.....you're goddamned right they have been interviewed, right away.
This is special treatment, plaint and simple.  And it's utterly disgusting and incompatible with a society that claims to be one of Rule of Law.  It reveals that we are actually a Rule of Badge society, and Badge trumps Law.  Cops are above the law.  And don't you forget it.

No doubt. It’s somewhat common practice for PDs to give officers the necessary time to form/fabricate the best possible story.

She wasn’t drunk or on drugs. PDs have policies against drinking in uniforms. She just got off a shift. And a full one at that. 

She’s a woman who got lost in her own apartment building. How hard is that to believe?

She can’t work her electronic key. How hard is that to believe? Surprised she even had her keys.

The door won’t open, clearly, this is the door’s fault, or her husband’s fault.

So brother Botham is in his crib, studying some Bible passages, when there is a commotion at his door.

He goes to the door in inquire, and she-cop-who-cannot-be-wrong-but-is-deathly-scared-of-African-American-males pops a cap,in his ass.

• Like 2