Norm Macdonald - Netflix

BNB

Did Norm suffer some major negative consequences for his comments that I'm not aware of?   One cancelled Fallon appearance the day it all came out isn't that big a deal.   His line about the victims went too far, he sincerely apologized, and life goes on.   His Netflix show has still been released and he's been making other media appearances.   Seems like an appropriate resolution to the situation. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Did Norm suffer some major negative consequences for his comments that I'm not aware of?   One cancelled Fallon appearance the day it all came out isn't that big a deal.   His line about the victims went too far, he sincerely apologized, and life goes on.   His Netflix show has still been released and he's been making other media appearances.   Seems like an appropriate resolution to the situation. 

There was a big controversy.  People freaked out.  And there was talk of Netflix canceling his show.  All of that is enough to cause a chilling effect.

Think of it this way.  At work, you make what you believe to be an innocuous political comment in response to a colleague’s question.  People start freaking out.  Memos go out via email referring to a “recent incident” and advising employees that it is inappropriate to discuss controversial, hurtful political topics in the office.  You are asked not to attend a staff meeting because “some employees are distressed” by your mere appearance at the meeting.  They’re actually crying at the thought that you might show up in the room.  Your boss calls you into his office and lets you know that many employees have asked that you be fired, but he’s letting you off with a warning this time.

Think that episode won’t rattle you and affect your behavior going forward?  

Norm’s humor pushes the envelope.  I fear that this overreaction will cause him to question every joke in his act.  He’ll start pulling punches and softening edges.  His comedy will suffer, and that’s a bad outcome.

On 9/15/2018 at 7:48 AM, Mojo Hand said:

este.  I haven't followed the "controversy" really close - there were elements of his comment that were dumb but Norm is Norm, sticks and stones, who gives a shit.

His show is ok....some funny moments, but overall its a clusterfuck like Norm.  The Letterman one was almost unwatchable to me because of the interrupting jokes/stories and lack of substance.  Thought the Chevy Chase one was better.    I'll keep watching because it is entertaining enough and I enjoy Norm for the most part.  His dumbass sidekick though can kick rocks.  

Yeah, I'm not sure what the sidekick adds.  He has spoken maybe 3 times through three episodes.  It's a little slow at times, but I genuinely enjoy the mix of Norm's comedy and some genuine discussion from the guests.  I doubt this will go more than a season but I'll enjoy it for what it is.

I did Spade and Drew Barrymore and am only halfway through Judge Judy, but so far it is pretty meh.  It is the same format as his podcast (which I liked a great deal), but somehow seems worse.  I don't know if it is the higher expectations of being on Netflix instead of some dinky youtube thing or what, but I'm not loving it.  Some things are notably different, like the prepared jokes at the end.  With the podcast, that segment was always a highlight as you got to be amused as the guest had to struggle through the embarrassment of saying a series of offensive/terrible material and fight with Norm over it.  Now there is just one or two jokes so you don't have the time to get the full effect.  

My guess is that the show goes as the guest goes.  Love Spade, liked the show.  Barrymore is fine; Barrymore's show was fine (although I decided she is the type of girl that would say eye-roll stuff like "I'm not religious but I'm very spiritual").  Don't care about Judy, didn't really care about the show.  Look forward to Letterman.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...