The Blues

Blanton

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I think Freddie King may be my all-time favorite. 

Died way too young.

"Nearly constant touring took its toll on King—he was on the road almost 300 days out of the year. In 1976 he began suffering from stomach ulcers. His health quickly deteriorated, and he died on December 28 of complications of this illness and acute pancreatitis, at the age of 42.

According to those who knew him, King's untimely death was due to stress, a legendary "hard-partying lifestyle",[17] and poor diet (he was in the habit of consuming Bloody Marys rather than solid food so as not to waste time when setting up shows)."

Edited by Deej

• 4 weeks later...

I've been listening to Otis Gibbs catalog of podcasts and he mentioned this man as being in his 'top five most listened to' on Spotify. How did I get this far in life without knowing Scrapper Blackwell?

And then last week I got around to hearing Otis talk about Blind Willie Johnson. He didn't call himself a bluesman. He was a street preacher who died in Beaumont. That's a podcast I'll review again. This is his song that is on Voyager to be played among the other offerings of music to the universe. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/7/2018 at 3:48 PM, mbtex said:

A truly great Texas guitarslinger. Note, also, the loping bass of Tommy Shannon, later of SRV and Double Trouble, absolutely carries this track. If anybody wants to learn how to play bass, this is as good as anywhere to start. The studio version of this track on Winter's eponymous first album is firmly ensconced in my list of all-time top ten blues songs. (BTW, so far I've got 83 on that list. And it's growing.)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
15 hours ago, BoomMF said:

Visited the Mississippi Delta again and stopped by Dockery Farms. They still play early blues from speakers throughout the property, so you hear this haunting music as you walk around this abandoned plantation and it really sets you on edge. It's eerie as all get out. I recognized Charley Patton's Spoonful Blues, appropriate since this is where he worked while doing his part (and perhaps the single greatest part) to create the blues artform. Son House made an appearance too.

20230402_163034.thumb.jpg.2859c4f66723d74499766a6ef36d98e4.jpg

Heres the loading docks, where the workers also took breaks and played their instruments, working out the rudiments of a whole new musical language.

Just sitting there, where Patton, and later Howlin Wolf, might've sat, looking out over the remnants of a plantation listening 1930s blues, was a powerful moment.

20230402_162243.thumb.jpg.35343690460ee4aad600fe7f66a1c521.jpg

The Dockery cotton gin was in remarkable condition, all things considered...

20230402_160048.thumb.jpg.eef5dbebfd490c38109191c291ed127d.jpg

Dig these names and countries of origins in the sign-in book.

20230402_155540.thumb.jpg.b74d209b57bb2ba61f1405f8462e351f.jpg

Since I was in the area, I also stopped by Greenwood, Mississippi to visit the man, the myth, the legend at what I think is his most probable final resting place:

20230402_171604.thumb.jpg.c4d035a1c96cfd1c20749ac42bf74b0c.jpg

I was eventually able to find the grave of Rosie Eskridge, the lady who witnessed her husband burying Robert Johnson near the tree his marker currently resides under at Little Zion.

20230402_172544.thumb.jpg.b0125f35bb79927322a1df862c697a65.jpg

Outstanding. Thanks for sharing

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, BoomMF said:

Visited the Mississippi Delta again and stopped by Dockery Farms. They still play early blues from speakers throughout the property, so you hear this haunting music as you walk around this abandoned plantation and it really sets you on edge. It's eerie as all get out. I recognized Charley Patton's Spoonful Blues, appropriate since this is where he worked while doing his part (and perhaps the single greatest part) to create the blues artform. Son House made an appearance too.

20230402_163034.thumb.jpg.2859c4f66723d74499766a6ef36d98e4.jpg

Heres the loading docks, where the workers also took breaks and played their instruments, working out the rudiments of a whole new musical language.

Just sitting there, where Patton, and later Howlin Wolf, might've sat, looking out over the remnants of a plantation listening 1930s blues, was a powerful moment.

20230402_162243.thumb.jpg.35343690460ee4aad600fe7f66a1c521.jpg

The Dockery cotton gin was in remarkable condition, all things considered...

20230402_160048.thumb.jpg.eef5dbebfd490c38109191c291ed127d.jpg

Dig these names and countries of origins in the sign-in book.

20230402_155540.thumb.jpg.b74d209b57bb2ba61f1405f8462e351f.jpg

Since I was in the area, I also stopped by Greenwood, Mississippi to visit the man, the myth, the legend at what I think is his most probable final resting place:

20230402_171604.thumb.jpg.c4d035a1c96cfd1c20749ac42bf74b0c.jpg

I was eventually able to find the grave of Rosie Eskridge, the lady who witnessed her husband burying Robert Johnson near the tree his marker currently resides under at Little Zion.

20230402_172544.thumb.jpg.b0125f35bb79927322a1df862c697a65.jpg

Love it when you take your road trips and post pics.  Thanks!

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 months later...

Anyone gotten his book yet? Or the box set?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/playing-for-the-man-at-the-door-review-mack-mccormicks-musical-discoveries-cc304817

His riveting prose on his search for Johnson, carefully edited, was released earlier this year when the Smithsonian published a version of his book “Biography of a Phantom.” But that was hardly McCormick’s only area of obsessive pursuit and artifact hoarding. A fascinating collection of 66 of the field recordings he captured in Texas and nearby locations has just been released as a 3-CD boxed set, “Playing for the Man at the Door: Field Recordings From the Collection of Mack McCormick 1958-1971,” which includes a lavish and informative 128-page book spelling out who the largely unknown artists he found were and McCormick’s recording adventures that led to the tracks. (A 6-LP version will follow next month.) The set reveals much about what the obsessive self-made folklorist was hunting for, and lets loose hours of exciting, previously unheard music.

More on McCormick

And I had the evidence in my hands: a secret manuscript about Johnson’s life found in the archive of Houston folklorist and record producer Robert “Mack” McCormick. This wasn’t just any archive. At the time, it was one of the most sought-after collections in the country—the Library of Congress wanted it, and so did the Smithsonian and the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Rock star Jack White was interested in it, as were Austin’s Dolph Briscoe Center and San Marcos’s Wittliff Collections. The archive had once filled almost every corner of Mack’s home—dozens of file drawers and boxes crammed with tens of thousands of documents, photos, and recordings. Mack’s computer was full of still more files—manuscripts, plays, interviews. The archive was so vast that Mack gave it a name: the Monster. 

https://www.texasmonthly.com/arts-entertainment/mack-mccormick-quest-to-find-real-robert-johnson/

Edited by cactusflinthead

3 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Anyone gotten his book yet? Or the box set?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/playing-for-the-man-at-the-door-review-mack-mccormicks-musical-discoveries-cc304817

His riveting prose on his search for Johnson, carefully edited, was released earlier this year when the Smithsonian published a version of his book “Biography of a Phantom.” But that was hardly McCormick’s only area of obsessive pursuit and artifact hoarding. A fascinating collection of 66 of the field recordings he captured in Texas and nearby locations has just been released as a 3-CD boxed set, “Playing for the Man at the Door: Field Recordings From the Collection of Mack McCormick 1958-1971,” which includes a lavish and informative 128-page book spelling out who the largely unknown artists he found were and McCormick’s recording adventures that led to the tracks. (A 6-LP version will follow next month.) The set reveals much about what the obsessive self-made folklorist was hunting for, and lets loose hours of exciting, previously unheard music.

More on McCormick

And I had the evidence in my hands: a secret manuscript about Johnson’s life found in the archive of Houston folklorist and record producer Robert “Mack” McCormick. This wasn’t just any archive. At the time, it was one of the most sought-after collections in the country—the Library of Congress wanted it, and so did the Smithsonian and the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Rock star Jack White was interested in it, as were Austin’s Dolph Briscoe Center and San Marcos’s Wittliff Collections. The archive had once filled almost every corner of Mack’s home—dozens of file drawers and boxes crammed with tens of thousands of documents, photos, and recordings. Mack’s computer was full of still more files—manuscripts, plays, interviews. The archive was so vast that Mack gave it a name: the Monster. 

https://www.texasmonthly.com/arts-entertainment/mack-mccormick-quest-to-find-real-robert-johnson/

That TM article was quite a read.