2018 Seattle Mariners Thread

MC Fresh Breath

He gone. 

The Mariners have released infielder/outfielder Dustin Ackley from his minor league contract, per a club announcement. Ackley, who returned to the Mariners on a minor league deal back in January, had been in camp and appeared in 11 games with Seattle this spring, though he’d only tallied a total of 18 plate appearances. In that time, Ackley collected a trio of singles and drew six walks against three strikeouts.

Well, I mean ST itself is such a blast it was hard to get too critical.  You get so close the players at BP and other situations.  The hotels are full of people who are, like yourself, only there for baseball, so just easy discussions and friendly folks everywhere.  Really a blast.  I recommend that experience, fully.  And I guess we got lucky with the weather, as it appears to have been bad on alternating weeks.

Now, as to the Mariners, well, I thought some of the SP looked good.  Marco looked pretty good at moments, but then would get hit as the game wore on.  Justus Sheffield, who apparently did not make the travel roster, looked really good the day I saw him.  Look forward to his late season call up.  Kikuchi looks raw/work in progress.  Tommy Milone looked god awful, so a bit surprising he made the roster.  I didn't see Felix pitch live, but on the broadcast he looks really bad.  So down to LeBlanc and Leake, make of that what you will.

Bullpen will be an adventure.  Among the new names I saw live, I liked Rosscup and Breenan and at times Rumbelow (lots of fun names this year).  Altavilla did not look good at all when I saw him, but apparently looks better since then(?) 

Keep in mind I didn't really see these guys much against another A-team full of all starters. 

Spring Training sure showed how infield defense (or lack of it) can make a difference, and looking at this:

Tim Beckham, No. 1, R/R

Edwin Encarnacion, No. 10, R/R

Dee Gordon, No. 9, L/R

Ryon Healy, No. 27, R/R

Dylan Moore, No. 25, R/R

Daniel Vogelbach, No. 20, L/

Uh, pepper your angus and get ready for some Bad News Bears action.    

Offense--I saw Santana smack the hell out of the ball when he connected.  Vogelbach had yet another really good ST, man I hope he quits teasing and pans out this year.  He needs way more at bats, I believe.  Jay Bruce was productive,  in person at least.  Slimmed down Seager (he seriously lost a lot of weight) looked great, but now he's out 10-12 weeks at least.  Enjoy every Hanniger at bat, because those are fun.

Ichiro, well, I got to get really close during various times, so that was cool.  But you know, after Japan we won't see him.

I haven't watched any games since I came back, but really, this team will be lucky to hit 70 wins.  Will have to take small moments of pleasure in either some kid developing or Hanniger doing something ridiculous.   

• Like 1

https://www.mlb.com/news/ken-griffey-jr-excited-for-japan-celebration

kna2vms7hpuoj2vpd1sl

TOKYO -- When Major League Baseball asked Ken Griffey Jr. if he would be willing to take part in the ceremonial first pitch at the Opening Series between the Mariners and A’s, he didn’t have to think twice. With his old pal Ichiro Suzuki taking what well could be his final swings, Griffey wasn’t about to miss it.

“Especially to have Opening Day, possibly his last one, happen here, that’s awesome,” Griffey said. “To be part of that? Even if they hadn’t asked me, I’d probably have come here just to see it. I’d have made up an excuse to get over here. This is huge. The country that raised him and his adopted family that took care of him over in the U.S. all being here in the same city is perfect.”

Griffey will be part of the first pitch ceremonies prior to Thursday’s second game of the series. For Wednesday’s opener, a battery of former Mariners -- closer Kazuhiro Sasaki and catcher Kenji Johjima -- will throw out the first pitch, while long-time A’s star Rickey Henderson stands in the batter’s box.

That script will be flipped before Thursday’s game, with two former A’s -- pitcher Keiichi Yabu throwing to infielder Akinori Iwamura -- while Griffey stands in the box.

Griffey would have happily volunteered to stand in both days with Henderson, a fellow first-ballot Hall of Famer.

“Rickey is right-handed and I’m left-handed, so it could have worked,” he said with a smile.

Griffey won’t limit himself to standing in the box one day, however. He's taking his baseball ambassador role to heart, answering questions from a group of Japanese Little League players, participating in a Fair Play Challenge that stresses good sportsmanship with another group of youngsters, doing interviews and talking baseball.

When Griffey arrived at the Haneda Airport on Friday night, he was repeatedly swarmed by groups of fans looking to take selfies and get autographs as he walked through the concourse. While Ichiro may be the main attraction in Tokyo, Griffey remains an icon as well.

He said he’s been to Japan dozens of times, including two tours as a player in the 1990 and ’92 All-Star Series, and has grown fond of the country’s love for baseball and the way fans express themselves with loud chanting and singing in support of their home teams.

“The first time I was here, they had the battle of the bands. I was in the outfield and Jesse Barfield was in right and Barry [Bonds] is in left,” he said. “We just looked at each other and said, ‘What the heck?’ But it was awesome.

“One thing you see is the passion of the fans other countries show, the energy and commitment these guys have. I’m not saying the U.S. doesn’t have it, but it’s the difference of showing it. It’s fun to see fans show excitement when they play. It’s going to be loud. Loud and fun.”

As a player, Griffey had a history of coming up with big performances on Opening Day. Now he’s going to player a smaller role, but a significant one.

“It’s just fun. We have an opportunity to be part of the celebration of baseball and I think that’s the most important thing,” he said. “Opening Day is always big. It’s one of the biggest days of the year. To be here with these guys, it means a lot.”

Greg Johns has covered the Mariners since 1997, and for MLB.com since 2011. Follow him on Twitter @GregJohnsMLB.

• Like 1