2018 Seattle Mariners Thread

MC Fresh Breath

So the news ticker on the local channel this morning said that a bald eagle sunk its talons into James Paxton.  Of course it wasn't that bad, but it's still pretty funny.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23043275/eagle-lands-shoulder-seattle-mariners-pitcher-james-paxton

MINNEAPOLIS -- The biggest challenge for Seattle left-hander James Paxton at Minnesota's home opener came even before he started pitching on the 38-degree afternoon.

Paxton was standing alone in left field at Target Field, taking a break from his warm-up throws for the pregame ceremony Thursday. That's when a bald eagle brought in for a flight over the playing field before the national anthem apparently became confused.

Rather than soaring to the mound to reach his summoning handlers, the bird flew toward Paxton, causing the pitcher to jerk his body backward to avoid being grazed.

"I'm not gonna outrun an eagle, so just thought, we'll see what happens," Paxton said after the game.

Then the eagle, named Challenger, landed in the grass before circling back to find a perch on Paxton's right shoulder. One of the trainers hustled out to lure the bird safely away.

"It was coming right for me and I was like, 'All right, the guy is over there. And I'm not the eagle guy,'" Paxton said. "But I guess this eagle was just confused, apparently the first time ever. I was just standing there trying not to panic."

Paxton, a Canadian, is nicknamed Big Maple and does a local commercial that features the pitcher taking care of a nest of eggs in his hat.

"I guess the eagle knew I was Canadian," Paxton said. "I don't know. But it came for me."

"I kind of ducked it so it wouldn't fly into my face. It was, I think, trying to stand on my back,'' Paxton said. "And then I thought, `OK, if I can stand up slowly, maybe it'll just rest on my shoulder. But as I stood up, he kind of fell off my back a little bit and was kind of clawing to try to get back up on my shoulder. But then as I stood straight up, it fell back onto the ground.''

Seattle Mariners first baseman Ryon Healy might join several other starters on the disabled list after twisting his right ankle in a postgame workout Saturday.

With Sunday's game against the Twins postponed because of bad weather, Healy showed up to the clubhouse with his right foot in a walking boot and using crutches.

"I don't have all the details on it yet, but he twisted his ankle pretty bad in the workout," manager Scott Servais told the Seattle Times. "It was nothing more than some plyometric work, back and forth. He rolled his ankle. I don't know how severe it is yet, but I did get the report that he was on crutches. I haven't talked to Ryon yet."

Servais said Healy is scheduled for an MRI and is not expected to be available in the coming days. If Healy goes on the DL, he would join DH Nelson Cruz (sprained ankle), catcher Mike Zunino (strained oblique) and outfielder Ben Gamel (strained oblique).