Big 12 Happenings

texasstrong12

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

We did better than them this season, when they weren't in total disarray.

I know. But even if they're in total disarray next year, I'm not sure I see us as clearly better. Sure hope we are, but lots of work to be done. Krueger has a good bit more experience at rounding random parts into a team than Shaka does.   

Guest davidtcch5
1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

I know. But even if they're in total disarray next year, I'm not sure I see us as clearly better. Sure hope we are, but lots of work to be done. Krueger has a good bit more experience at rounding random parts into a team than Shaka does.   

what? how do you not see us clearly better? we are returning everyone with the exception of Bamba, Young, and maybe eric davis, Jones could be back next year, sims and coleman will both be elite talents next year. we have good freshman talent coming in. we will have more depth than them have Naz long coming in. we are stronger at every position on the roster...

10 minutes ago, Guest davidtcch5 said:

what? how do you not see us clearly better? we are returning everyone with the exception of Bamba, Young, and maybe eric davis, Jones could be back next year, sims and coleman will both be elite talents next year. we have good freshman talent coming in. we will have more depth than them have Naz long coming in. we are stronger at every position on the roster...

Still have Shaka coaching.

2 hours ago, taybo20 said:

We did this year. I’d expect us to next year also

As noted, I sure hope we do but would like to see more sign of progress. We’re losing arguably as much as OU, and we don’t have what I’d call a coaching edge. We’ll see. 

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

As noted, I sure hope we do but would like to see more sign of progress. We’re losing arguably as much as OU, and we don’t have what I’d call a coaching edge. We’ll see. 

In terms of what that kid did for ousux, I think they lose more. Which is why I expect is to finish ahead of them.

but if you are looking for progress, finishing ahead of ousux is setting the bar too low imo

2 hours ago, slorch said:

Why wouldn't he?

Go get paid.

Come back and finish in his own time.

He's not ready to play in the NBA, and he knows it.  I know lots of guys are tempted by the money - and I don't know what his family background is money wise - but after another year of college, where he'll be the star of the team, he'll be a lot better player.  We'll see, but lots of people are saying that behind the scenes he's telling people he's staying.

11 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

He's not ready to play in the NBA, and he knows it.  I know lots of guys are tempted by the money - and I don't know what his family background is money wise - but after another year of college, where he'll be the star of the team, he'll be a lot better player.  We'll see, but lots of people are saying that behind the scenes he's telling people he's staying.

that same argument could be made for 95% of the guys who leave after a year.

59 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

that same argument could be made for 95% of the guys who leave after a year.

That's true.  Again, I know a big part of his decision will be how bad he needs the money.  These young guys have to be noticing, though, that a lot of past "one and done" players don't ultimately make it in the NBA.  So, do you want one rookie contract and that's it, or do you want to prepare to have a long career?

Edited by Dirk X West

4 hours ago, Dirk X West said:

That's true.  Again, I know a big part of his decision will be how bad he needs the money.  These young guys have to be noticing, though, that a lot of past "one and done" players don't ultimately make it in the NBA.  So, do you want one rookie contract and that's it, or do you want to prepare to have a long career?

i don't have the numbers on it or anything, but i'd guess that the vast majority of 1 and done guys who have been picked in the first round got a 2nd nba contract.  

10 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

i don't have the numbers on it or anything, but i'd guess that the vast majority of 1 and done guys who have been picked in the first round got a 2nd nba contract.  

Yeah, it's an interesting question.  I tried searching a little bit to see if anyone's put together some data along these lines, but I couldn't find anything with concrete numbers, just opinions.  And, of course, like anything, there are lots of different people who have a financial stake in pushing the narrative that one path to the pros is better than the other. 

I guess my perception is that, leaving aside transcendent talents who either skipped college or were a one-and-done (like Kobe Bryant or Kevin Durant), who were likely going to be great regardless, most of the others didn't amount to much, but that could just as well be true of guys who did two years or more of college.  

If you're a shoo-in to be drafted, the only reasons to stay in school are:

• improve your draft stock for the following year and thus earn a fatter contract or
  • you love the college life and realize--with apologies to Frank the Tank--it ain't gonna come around again.

Not sure if  Zhaire is lottery material, but it's conceivable that he could crack the top half of the first round with a super sophomore season. Dude's a stud.

11 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

If you're a shoo-in to be drafted, the only reasons to stay in school are:

• improve your draft stock for the following year and thus earn a fatter contract or
  • you love the college life and realize--with apologies to Frank the Tank--it ain't gonna come around again.

Not sure if  Zhaire is lottery material, but it's conceivable that he could crack the top half of the first round with a super sophomore season. Dude's a stud.

If I was Zhaire, I would wait to see what other underclassmen declare. This could be a pretty deep draft if all the bigs declare.

Brandon Averette (backup point guard who played lots of minutes) is transferring from OSU.  Has two years eligibility left.  We have two grad transfers coming in and are pushing hard for a 4 star PG recruit.  He had some strengths, but a lot of weaknesses.  I think he'll be a good player, but was likely to be a backup the rest of his OSU career.  I hope he has a lot of success wherever he goes.

Brandon Averette (backup point guard who played lots of minutes) is transferring from OSU.  Has two years eligibility left.  We have two grad transfers coming in and are pushing hard for a 4 star PG recruit.  He had some strengths, but a lot of weaknesses.  I think he'll be a good player, but was likely to be a backup the rest of his OSU career.  I hope he has a lot of success wherever he goes.

I loved his hustle and heart, but how many times did we see leads evaporating faster than a Shaggy exodus when he was in the game?

Mike Boynton signs a contract extension with OSU.  Six years $11.5 mil.  Salary will be $1.6 next year.  Sounds about right.  Tons of potential, many big time wins, but glad we didn't drop our skirts like we did for Travis Ford.  I hope he sticks around and succeeds.

1 minute ago, bularry said:

outside of Kansas, entire conference looks down a bit next year.  as that right or just me?

K-State returns everyone, and Iowa State should be better (because they can't get any worse). But yes, next season should be less of a meat-grinder in the league.

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

Depending on how graduate transfers and recruits pan out, and if Zhaire Smith stays, Tech could legitimately go 12-deep next year and be an even better team. It could also go the opposite way and have a lot of growing pains. Probably somewhere in the middle.

So you're saying they'll either be really good or really bad, or somewhere in the middle.  Where do I send my $9.95?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

https://twitter.com/JHoyNBA/status/981337245348134912

"Texas Tech freshman guard Zhaire Smith will declare for the 2018 NBA draft, according to a source. He will not sign with an agent at this time. Smith averaged 11.3 points and 5 rebounds per game and impressed scouts with his athleticism and high-level defense."

Edited by Dirk X West

If Smith is a projected first rounder he should take the money while he can. Robert Williams this past year is a perfect example of not cashing in on upside/freakish athleticism while you can. Williams will still go in the first round but he cost himself a lot of money by returning. 

NBA teams want to see some development in year 2 for college players. Take the money while you can. 

Edited by texasstrong12

http://www.nbadraft.net/2018mock_draft

Smith is projected #19 here

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/04/03/nba-mock-draft-2018-ncaa-tournament-prospects-60-picks

#22 here

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2767853-2018-nba-mock-draft-predicting-1st-round-results-post-ncaa-tournament

#26 here

The thing about Smith is he's going to test through the roof at the combine. I'll be shocked if Smith returns at this point. 

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

6’5 guys who can jump out of the gym aren’t a rarity at the NBA level.  Usually it makes sense to take the money and start your pro career once you’re draftable, but Smith probably should wait until he develops more of an offensive game.  I doubt he is a first round lock, and even if he does get drafted this year he would probably just pigeonhole himself into some Andre Roberson type role that he may never shake.

I'm biased but if he stays, doesn't get hurt, and develops a good offensive game he's a lottery pick. As it stands, his offensive game is nonexistent aside from dunks off basket cuts and putbacks, and decent spot up 3 point shooting. He really needs to develop some weapons to make it in the NBA, otherwise he gets chewed up and spit out because 6'5" guys with personal trampolines are a dime a dozen, as you said.

35 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

his offensive game is nonexistent aside from dunks off basket cuts and putbacks

that's why he should take the money. 

Smith is raw as hell and development could go either way. NBA teams see upside because of athleticism which is why his value may never be this high if he doesn't develop. 

Some guys simply don't develop or improve. That's why when NBA teams are willing to take a player in the 1st round because of raw athleticism, you better take the money while you can. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Top 20 scorers in the Big 12
Young (Gone)
Evans (Gone)
Graham (Gone)
Carter (Gone)
Wigginton (Returning)
Lecomte (Gone)
Wade (likely testing waters)
Brown (testing waters)
Carroll (Gone)
Jackson (Gone)