Clemson @ Aggy - ESPN

Hugo Stiglitz

Hyper focused on the scoreboard and blind to something exciting. Clemson didn't beat the Ags, the Ags beat the Ags (with a little help from the refs). 2nd game in Jimbo's tenure and all but made the Ags play championship level football in less than 4 hours. Make no mistake, noone likes losing, but what you saw tonight was legit. It's not hype... it's real. Believe in it and stop being myopic. I honestly believe this team will challenge Bama for the West if we can stay healthy. The things that lost that game are in A&Ms control... that's effing exciting. Clean it up and this team can beat anyone.

Damn fine game.

29 minutes ago, bigcigar said:

No, I read it correctly. That said, while certainly benefiting from questionable decisions, aggy looked much better than expected. The roller coaster is on track, but I think you’re downplaying what they showed a bit too much. You could have the same circumstances with Sumlin and the outcome would be much more closely aligned with expectations.

Look, if you want me to say that aggy looked well coached and well prepared, I have no problem doing so. They did. Mond looks like a totally different player - as someone else said, he's a metric fuck-ton better than anyone we have. They played a very good game and limited mistakes. They also did a great job taking advantage of the soft spots in Venables' D (which I said above). That doesn't make them world beaters by any means. 

If you want me to say that we looked like shit, I really, really, really have no problem with that either. I hope Tom Herman is fired tonight on the fucking 50 yard line or the lawn in front of the LBJ Building or wherever. Unfortunately, that's not realistic and I see a 3 to 4 win season right now. aggy looks infinitely better than we do. Our recruiting is going to suffer and we will probably lose someone like Shepherd to aggy (among others. Probably lots). 

That doesn't change the fact that Clemson also looked like shit or that aggy held the fuck out of the Clemson DL or that Kellen Mond does not avoid hits like Manziel and is going to get killed at some point. Most importantly, it doesn't change the fact that fucking up is what aggy has done best for as long as they have existed.

I think we basically agree on most things here. I'm just saying that it's a little too early to start fellating Jimbo yet. Remember when Charlie Strong beat an OU team that wound up in the playoffs that season and Jay Norvell looked like a genuis? I guess we'll see.  

Edited by campcrunk
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, campcrunk said:I think we basically agree on most things here. I'm just saying that it's a little too early to start fellating Jimbo yet.

Fair enough. Jimbo is likely better than Sumlin. He will fail to live up to the expectations he created tonight. I’ve been pumping up my aggy buddies to prep for the crash.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

Mond looks like a totally different player - as someone else said, he's a metric fuck-ton better than anyone we have.

Mond is interesting. He made some great play, but also was very fortunate that some horrible decisions that he made turned out alright. All three touchdown passes were bad decisions. The first two, he had wide open receivers for a touchdown but through risky balls into coverage that required great plays from the receivers and the last one obviously should have been picked. It's hard to say if he'll continue improving on that or if he'll keep attempting those same plays that won't always work out.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

Mond is interesting. He made some great play, but also was very fortunate that some horrible decisions that he made turned out alright. All three touchdown passes were bad decisions. The first two, he had wide open receivers for a touchdown but through risky balls into coverage that required great plays from the receivers and the last one obviously should have been picked. It's hard to say if he'll continue improving on that or if he'll keep attempting those same plays that won't always work out.

What concerns me most about Mond isn't what he is now - it's what he could become with the right coaching. Frankly, since we're never not going to be competing with aggy for recruits, the possibility of them having a QB like that scares the hell out of me. 

I do see one potential upshot. I'm pretty hopeful that the people who contribute real money to the program and actually get a say in and/or make decisions aren't going to stand for aggy having a coach that's this much better than what we've got at the moment. Especially given the utter shit-show he's rolled out there the last two weeks. Maybe it's false hope, I don't know. But I am fairly certain that big the money guys aren't that much different than us in that possibility of aggy kicking our asses in recruiting and national perception makes their blood boil.  

I guess we'll see.

2 hours ago, cabowabo said:

Congrats to Aggy for playing big boy football while we rolled around in our own shit against a terrible football team.

I'm just not convinced that Herman knows what he's doing.  Does he sit down with his other coaches to discuss after looking at film?  You are supposed to improve from game to game.  Same old line play, just like the past 7 years.  I'm no coach, but damn, this ain't right.

3 hours ago, UTEX_ME said:
Hyper focused on the scoreboard and blind to something exciting. Clemson didn't beat the Ags, the Ags beat the Ags (with a little help from the refs). 2nd game in Jimbo's tenure and all but made the Ags play championship level football in less than 4 hours. Make no mistake, noone likes losing, but what you saw tonight was legit. It's not hype... it's real. Believe in it and stop being myopic. I honestly believe this team will challenge Bama for the West if we can stay healthy. The things that lost that game are in A&Ms control... that's effing exciting. Clean it up and this team can beat anyone.

Damn fine game.

Let's see what the response is after the Alabama game... Granted, it might be better than most of us thought, how will Jimbo attack Tua on defense..?

This game reminds me of when #2 ranked Texas with VY play at Pyle. Aggy put up a good effort and Texas went on to win it all. Aggy giz jars filled and busted their nuts in this game vs Clemson. That will be aggys best game. Bama gonna bama them along with other sec teams. 

Edited by TexasGolf
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, hookem48 said:

I just saw the highlights myself and Mond got away with throwing prayers up all over the place. aggy looked a hell of a lot better than us but come on, those prayers go the other way and that game is a blowout.

Thought the same. And hand fulls of oline holding. 

The biggest change in aggy from Sumlin and Jimbo is they didn’t quit and fold when it looked as if the game was about to get out of hand.

What really helped aggy was Dabo having to live up to his promise of giving the rookie meaningful playing time. Had they stayed with their starter aggy never gets back in the game. And why with the game in the line he stopped that dumb ass shit.

Strangely it looked very much the same as Saban’s experiment/game against Louisville using two QB’s. Except Bama never fell asleep on defense while their coach was trying some shit out.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, UTEX_ME said:

Damn fine game.

Preview5.png

Got damn. I hate Aggie success as much as anyone, but you idiots throwing shade on their play tonight need to get a fucking clue. They played their asses off on national tv, and we struggled with fucking Tulsa. And

Fuck off aggy boy. Y'all choked. Same as it ever was. Overpaid midget couldn't beat ACC teams at Free Shoes U and can't beat em at aggy. Poor aggy.

35d1ef46b01599df4c1409de20fa87da.jpg230a619cb4fa1536f58b41fba4d384e2.jpgcdc49976251eb18e2b46b7bcd1e29d81.jpg16cb203ee5ee47aec4fcadc092d75d79.jpga1672cdfc8b0b2e94af77ad4342a8803.giff399d42e3b57db1b3ff1be9ad94282a0.jpg34872e2904bd5fb693c7e261f3f050ed.gif