Apathy

Tailleur17

2 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I can get over this year and team. 

What's hard for me be apathetic about is the fact that I see falling further and further into a hole that will take years to dig out of. 

I love the cfb season. Look forward to it all year. But absolutely can't bring myself to enjoy it when we're awful.  I just watch other teams...EVERY other team these days, and wonder why they execute the must basic of football shit while we can't. 

I can get past this year, it's already thrown away, but I care deeply about what we're doing to fix this before the next ten years go by. 

Want to go into a bigger funk? Think about how little equity/buy-in the next coach is going to have from every portion of the fan base.

I'm as close to apathy as I've ever been, but I just can't completely tune out. I have been going to fewer and fewer games since 2010, though, whereas I almost never used to miss them, and hated it if I did. I still have season tickets. Didn't watch the Maryland game as I was dove hunting and had no TV. Didn't go last night and glad I didn't. I'll be at the USC game because I have family coming into town for it. But I'm not excited about it, and that sucks ass.

Edited by Art Vandelay

1 hour ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

This. Having a shitty team sucks donkey balls. However, that misery makes the ecstasy of having a dominant team that much better. Don't be a fairweather fuckoff. Just be a realist about what is going on at present and know that it won't last forever.

I keep saying it won't last forever, but it sure seems like it.

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

I’ve seasob tickets and didn’t go. After having gone to Maryland and seen that shitshow in person last week I just didn’t give a crap to see it in person. 

Having watched on tv last night I’m glad I didn’t. Same shit new week. 

ditto.

27 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

The Dabo talk is just so fucking embarrassing. The “my only problem with dabo coming here” talk is on a level in which the English language doesn’t have a word to accurately describe it.

Yep. My only problem with having sex with Penelope Cruz and Marissa Miller on a pile of cocaine at a villa on the Mediterranean in the south of France is that I forgot the charging cord for my cell phone.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stork642 said:

This is the sadomasochist in me but there is something satisfying about knowing we are at or near rock bottom.  Must mean things will get better soon/at some point.  Right?

Not sure, Yale won a bunch of national championships but not since 1927. It appears that they have hit rock bottom for over 90 years. 

1 hour ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

The only problem I have with dabo is the prospect that he might try to bring venables with him if he came to be his DC. I don't think he would want to keep Orlando, though he might.

We got a hell of a lot more issues to address than Dabo bringing in Venables. 

5 minutes ago, US183 said:

Not sure, Yale won a bunch of national championships but not since 1927. It appears that they have hit rock bottom for over 90 years. 

“Rock bottom?”

Come on, IVY LEAGUE championships carry some weight...right?

Conference championships are hard to come by, just ask ol’ butter teeth, and he’ll let you know.

FML. 

34 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Yep. My only problem with having sex with Penelope Cruz and Marissa Miller on a pile of cocaine at a villa on the Mediterranean in the south of France is that I forgot the charging cord for my cell phone.  

I read this first as marissa mayer and was pretty perplexed.  Carry on, you yahoos. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

The Dabo talk is just so fucking embarrassing. The “my only problem with dabo coming here” talk is on a level in which the English language doesn’t have a word to accurately describe it.

This is 100% correct. Texas fans who think it's even in the realm of possibility are simply torturing themselves.

36 minutes ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

Money talks, bullshit walks. Texas has more money than anyone else and could make him an offer he can't refuse.

im-gonna-make-him-an-offer-he-cant-refus

What is the amount of money you expect the Texas Board of Regents would be willing to pay to lure Dabo Swinney from Clemson?

Keeping in mind that he currently makes around $7 million a year at a school where he is already a legend and has one national championship under his belt. 

What would it take to make him leave that to come to this clusterfuck of a shark tank?

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

What is the amount of money you expect the Texas Board of Regents would be willing to pay to lure Dabo Swinney from Clemson?

Keeping in mind that he currently makes around $7 million a year at a school where he is already a legend and has one national championship under his belt. 

What would it take to make him leave that to come to this clusterfuck of a shark tank?

Idk, but when Texas was trying to get Saban word on the street was the BoR was leaning towards $10M a year. So that's probably about where the negotiations start. He has a coaching acumen established enough to be able to garner the timeline necessary from the fans and boosters so he would be able to get shit established.

4 minutes ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

Idk, but when Texas was trying to get Saban word on the street was the BoR was leaning towards $10M a year. So that's probably about where the negotiations start. He has a coaching acumen established enough to be able to garner the timeline necessary from the fans and boosters so he would be able to get shit established.

That won't get Dabo Swinney to leave Clemson.

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Want to go into a bigger funk? Think about how little equity/buy-in the next coach is going to have from every portion of the fan base.

Yup. This is going to be a huge issue once Herman is forced out. It will probably make or break CDC’s job. I’m not completely sold on CDC at all yet, but that’s where he’ll earn his paycheck. 

Interesting.

2010 (Dabo's 2nd full season)

In 2010, Swinney led Clemson to a 6–6 (4–4 in ACC) regular season. Of the 6 losses in the 2010 season, 5 were by less than 10 points and 4 were by 6 points or less. The season included close losses to Cam Newton and the eventual national champion Auburn Tigers (27–24 on the road in OT), and the eventual division champion Florida State Seminoles (16–13 on a 55-yard, time-expiring field goal on the road). After the conclusion of the regular season, many fans called for the firing of both Swinney and athletic director Terry Don Phillips.[11] Swinney would say years later he expected to be fired after the regular season ended with a loss to South Carolina.[14] Don Phillips instead gave Swiney a vote of confidence and allowed him to return for the 2011 season.[15] Discontent with Swinney grew even more after a bowl loss to South Florida made Clemson's final record 6-7, Clemson's first losing season since 1998. Swinney, who was 19-15, entered the 2011 season widely considered to be a coach on the hot seat.[16] Despite a disappointing 6–7 record, the 2010 team featured one of the nation's top defenses and the Bronko Nagurski and Ted Hendricks award winner, Da'Quan Bowers.

I haven’t been to a game since we lost to Iowa State in 2010.

I still watch, and I’ll start putting in game attendance effort again when we stop being terrible in all aspects of the product.

I've only been to a few since then. Watching that game at the stadium and seeing how the players and Mack just didn't give a damn really pissed me off.

This isn't supporting your kid's middle school team at all cost. This is big time expensive entertainment. We are paying the coaches millions of dollars. When they suck there should be consequences. We need to run through coaches more than every 3 years or we will suck for quite a while.
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

At least we wouldn’t be the Texas school with the coach with most redneck-sounding name. 

23 minutes ago, HouTex said:

I've only been to a few since then. Watching that game at the stadium and seeing how the players and Mack just didn't give a damn really pissed me off.

This isn't supporting your kid's middle school team at all cost. This is big time expensive entertainment. We are paying the coaches millions of dollars. When they suck there should be consequences. We need to run through coaches more than every 3 years or we will suck for quite a while.

Gonna have to second the notion we should excuse the "aww shucks, better luck next year" mentality that has gripped some fans/supporters. We are talking about millions of dollars at stake and results should be expected; not hoped and wished for. 

I have said this before and I'll say it again, I'm more than glad to support a program that ensures the success of its athletes and provides a quality representation of the University. At the same time, I will not support mediocrity or simply excess and wasted resources (exhibit a: the 5 million dollar man). 

If we want to be UCLA or Berkeley, that's cool, but we sure as shit shouldn't be paying 5 mil/year to sit by and watch as we make these dipshits generationally wealthy. What we do with this additional money? I don't know, but I sure as shit cannot stand seeing another one of these guys get paid out the ass and fail miserably at their jobs. It's a disgrace. 

• Like 2

I can't say I'm actually apathetic but I'm kind of dazed like those Okies you see on TV sitting outside their trailer park that just got trashed by a tornado. 

They're like ,"I live in Oklahoma, in a trailer, I just got hit by a tornado, and I now can't find my meth.  Can it get much worse?"

Yeah.  It's kind of like that.

• Like 1

Lol if right after the National Championship game against Bama I got stranded on an island for 8 years and never got to see Texas football, I would think we’ve had at least six 10 win seasons, a couple of Heisman candidates, a couple of conf championships, and possibly a National Championship.

If someone told me during that time period we’d have 4 losing seasons, fire Mack Brown, miss a bowl game 3 of those years, lose 24-0 against ISU, lose to a 1-win team), lose to Cal, Maryland, BYU all in consecutive seasons, and be in a dogfight with Tulsa at DKR, I would just laugh and tell you stop f*ckin with me

I took my son to see the Oregon Ducks destroy Portland State at Autzen yesterday.  (We got free tickets.)  It was refreshing to watch a decent football team thoroughly dominate an opponent that they should have thoroughly dominated.  I know the Ducks still have some issues as a team, but Cristobal is a quality coach who will probably have that team playing in a high-profile bowl game way sooner than Herman ever will.

The worst part was, I had no idea when the Texas game even kicked off yesterday.  I have reached that level of apathy.  Where I once planned my Saturdays around Texas football, now it is simply just a sad side note.  When I checked the score late yesterday and saw that Texas had barely squeaked by Tulsa, I wasn't even all that surprised.

I can see aggy, Zero U, LSU, and TCU all beating us out for recruits in the next few years unless something drastically changes.  Feels like we are in for some very dark times ahead.  Makes me sad.

6 hours ago, Tonesky said:

I was sure that football season would help boost my post count into NSAA, but it will not and I don't give a fuck.

I was pissed when I realized I am going to be at an out of town Bat Mitzvah during the OUsux game, but I'm over it.

Probably more fun asking a mohel at the Mitzvah to perform a circumcision on you.

7 hours ago, AtticusFinch said:

Had a conversation about this yesterday.  To take the family up to Austin for a game is roughly a $1500-2000 weekend.  I've got a 70" TV at home I can turn off when disgusted at this shit show.  Ive got free cocktails, no crowds, no heat, comfortable chairs, etc.  Of course, I cant really turn it off because it's like turning off coverage of a natural disaster but at least I have the choice and I dont have to deal with the unhappy fans and traffic.   

A game like last night is more fun in a tiny window on a pirated stream. The random six second skips add to the pleasure.

I love this thread!!

After Maryland game, I started to worry if maybe my apathy could be due to me being an old, being a Horn and Cowboy fan, plus years of losing and disappointment.

But after my gut laughs from some of these posts, I see that others suffer too.....makes me feel better about my own sports misery.

😎

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blanton said:

“Rock bottom?”

Come on, IVY LEAGUE championships carry some weight...right?

Conference championships are hard to come by, just ask ol’ butter teeth, and he’ll let you know.

FML. 

It wasn’t the IVY league then (est 1954). It was national championships ....