Goal Line Offense

SilasCoade

Texas had 2nd and goal from the 1 yard line. They lined up with I think Eagles or LJH wide to the short side of the field. He was singled up with a corner giving up 5 inches to him. Why not throw the quick fade there automatically? Same scenario on the 3rd down play. Same question. Especially if you think you would be going for it on 4th down anyway.

19 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Texas had 2nd and goal from the 1 yard line. They lined up with I think Eagles or LJH wide to the short side of the field. He was singled up with a corner giving up 5 inches to him. Why not throw the quick fade there automatically? Same scenario on the 3rd down play. Same question. Especially if you think you would be going for it on 4th down anyway.

Didn't we score on second down but the refs missed it?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Llogg said:

no-thats-just-what-theyll-be-expecting-u

• Haha 1

Because our staff thinks it’s a lot more clever than it is, is bad at situational playcalling and tends to ignore the obvious thing in favor of their less than clever solution. 

Example, our Herman proclaimed goal line back doesn’t see the field on short and goal to go. That’s the obvious solution. H back, TE and two WR mountains outside. It screams that we’re gonna pound the ball in and or use our big bodies outside on a sweep or something. 

It also means that some clever things are available off PA because of what our personnel selection is screaming. 

That’s also a good time for LJH to run his QB lead play as long as we’re fleshing out natural add ons  in practice for other opponents. 

Orrrrr...we could keep our small back in the game and run the world’s slowest, ugliest read option. 

Btw, anyone good and completely tired of our boot out against the grain pass ply selection on critical downs?

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

That series told me all I need to know about our offensive coaching.  Think they are too smart to do the obvious and just score, it has to be a trick.

This. Everyone in my section was screaming run the damn ball. Big boy ball. We can't even do that. I have no confidence Sam makes the fade throw to LJH in the endzone to be frank. This is simple shit and our coaching staff is just clueless. 

40 minutes ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

Yep. On Adzillatron they even showed the replay officials reviewing shit at which point it turned into the heman meme above to me.

nope, just watched it again, they didn't review that for shit, Texas even hurried up and ran the next play.

1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Btw, anyone good and completely tired of our boot out against the grain pass ply selection on critical downs?

What I don't get is how limited the receiver options are when they do that. I mean, it's a bad idea anyway, but the limited number of options we give Sam make it a virtual certainty that even if he manages not to get sacked for a loss, there's practically no way in hell for even a perfect throw to be completed.

22 minutes ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

Then I must be thinking of a different play, I was at the game so my memory is kinda fuzzy as far as remembering exactly which play it was the replay happened on.

what really sucks is from the goal line camera opposite the ref that made the call it was easily reversible, that was a TD.

22 minutes ago, Scholz said:

I thought Lil was supposed to be our GL back.

What did he average from the wildcat yesterday?  No one is convincing me they would have stopped him from getting that yard.  Terribly called goalline series, and honestly scarier that we had to put any thought into it at all vs Tulsa.

Anyone think we would have held them out for three plays at the one?  I'm not so sure. 

• Like 1

there was a spot on a Watson run late in the game that was horrible and not reviewed.  was that crew from Tulsa's conference?  They were fucking horrible and screwing us at every turn.  that said, our biggest problem is our coach not crappy refs against Tulsa.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

What I don't get is how limited the receiver options are when they do that. I mean, it's a bad idea anyway, but the limited number of options we give Sam make it a virtual certainty that even if he manages not to get sacked for a loss, there's practically no way in hell for even a perfect throw to be completed.

Because the defense is supposed to be snookered by our boot play with only two WR’s. And they might be if we bothered to try and sell the defense the run with personnel and formation.

But this is the staff that thinks splitting a TE and RB out in the empty set is some really enlightened football s**t. 

The absolute first thing I’d prep my defense for on a third or fourth down in the red zone against Texas would be the boot pass to the left. And doubly so if UT is on the near hash. I guess our staff thinks that’s so dumb as to be unexpected, but I’ve learned that other staffs film study to look for tendencies and stuff. 

As mentioned above, it would have been a TD with ease with a review but either we were so adamant to go tempo on next play Herman didn't care or one of our 5+ coaches/analysis in the box inexplicably didn't relay that we should challenge in.   Just threw away points.