I told all of you this would happen. LHN killed the program

Fat Bastard

This is simply not true. It hurts all of those teams, lately more than it hurts Texas. TCU and Baylor have both been left out of playoff discussions, because of our shitty conference. OU is the outlier, but that may change this year with how bad this conference is top to bottom. The LHN is not why we lost games, and it is not why we currently suck, but it is certainly not helping us.

The title of this post included “the LHN killed the program”, it has nothing to do with the state of the program. If Texas had Saban and a Khalil Tate or Jake Fromm at QB this team would win.

Texas has missed on OL and QBs for a decade now that is why the program is in current state, not the LHN.

As far as the conference, I’m not a fan, but that also has nothing to do with Texas current state of malaise. If Texas was really good, they wouldn’t be left out of a playoff because of the Big 12.

The Big 12 isn’t keeping Texas from getting quality recruits, they just haven’t recruited quality OL and QBs. Their coaching has been substandard as well, neither has anything to do with the conference nor the LHN.

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

True or false?

If the Big XII shared revenue equally and created a conference network then no one would have left and they'd be a stronger conference than they are now. 

Hard to tell. Nebraska and A&M both benefited from the previous way revenue was shared and they left.

The conference network might have required everybody being locked into place though.

Edited by Valmy77

31 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

This is simply not true. It hurts all of those teams, lately more than it hurts Texas. TCU and Baylor have both been left out of playoff discussions, because of our shitty conference. OU is the outlier, but that may change this year with how bad this conference is top to bottom. The LHN is not why we lost games, and it is not why we currently suck, but it is certainly not helping us.

The big XII is better than the ACC this year.  You think OU will have a problem?  No.  Just like Texas would be just fine if they were winning.  You have the mindset of Baylor/TCU.  Don’t do that.  

3 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

I agree that the LHN is not our main issue, but when you add it to bad coaching, greedy leadership, and a weak conference, you get the shit salad we are currently serving.

I don't see what the other schools have to do with anything. If the other nine Big 12 schools were better we would be better? How do you figure? TCU kicking our ass has not improved things much. So if we just had MORE schools dominating us on a regular basis we would be better?

As for leadership greed, we have changed leadership three times in five years. And I doubt any of those leaders are especially greedy compared to other schools ADs...well ok maybe Patterson.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

The big XII is better than the ACC this year.  You think OU will have a problem?  No.  Just like Texas would be just fine if they were winning.  You have the mindset of Baylor/TCU.  Don’t do that.  

Besides, Baylor and TCU got left out because they choked away golden opportunities. Pretty sure that would sink anybody.

12 hours ago, Mileslong said:

For the last fucking time, being in the big 12 has nothing to with us sucking. Doesn’t seem to hurt OU, OSU, TCU or even Baylor when they had Briles.

It’s coaching and lack of a good QB period. The LHN has nothing to do with us not hitting on a QB or coaching hire so just staup

Part of the problem is shows like all access that stick cameras in the kid's faces and make them feel like they're reality TV stars. That just reinforces this "all about me" generation of humans who already are major attention whores on social media. The LHN is fine but they needs to do away with all access and get the cameras out of players faces except maybe one day a week at practice to get some clips. I'd do away with all of the coaching shows except 1 and limit that exposure as well. Maybe try again to push for having HS games air on the network and see if that can work now that no one feels threatened by the network. 

6 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

That’s a separate argument, this is about whether the LHN has killed the Texas program

I think they're connected. The LHN wouldn't exist if there was a B12N.

This is all media driven. The success of BTN led to the SEC and Pac-10 starting their own networks. Why didn't the Big XII?

7 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Part of the problem is shows like all access that stick cameras in the kid's faces and make them feel like they're reality TV stars. That just reinforces this "all about me" generation of humans who already are major attention whores on social media. The LHN is fine but they needs to do away with all access and get the cameras out of players faces except maybe one day a week at practice to get some clips. I'd do away with all of the coaching shows except 1 and limit that exposure as well. Maybe try again to push for having HS games air on the network and see if that can work now that no one feels threatened by the network. 

There is probably something to this, but it may not be LHN per se.

One thing that does seem to have systematically shifted in regard to Texas Football, and  other Texas sports, is the "millenial shift."  Certain generations of coaches probably are not well cut out to deal with it, like Mack and Charlie. Other programs may be dealing with it better, either naturally, or (Bama) by focusing their sports shrink consultants on the affected parties (coaches and players) to bridge that gap.  To the extent that is a problem, LHN may magnify it, as you state.

12 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

A&M has 'The Pulse'  and Bama just did an entire 'Hardknocks' type show.  Don't feed me this bullshit.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Deej said:

Blaming the LHN for the failures of our football program is pretty fucking aggy. The LHN is not responsible for the stench coming from Belmont and the rot that has taken over our football team.

Yeah, it's at worst a symptom of something else.

Plus, fuck you if you want to take away my baseball.  And volleyball too.

3 hours ago, slorch said:

What is so Appalachian or Midwestern?

The Hank Hill Tongue-Swallowing accent seems to trace back to the eastern hill country, based on my ethnological studies (ie, Stopping in a gas station in Gadsden Alabama.)

But other than that, probably not much.

I think in all this regional realignment talk, we have the usual gaping blind spot. 8 states border Texas, not 4. Ocho. I say it's time for Texas to return to its ancient roots, and wreck the CONADEIP.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Texas is the mariner and the LHN is the albatross that's hung around our neck to remind us that we cursed our program due to our own greed. 

Are the other schools not greedy? 

I don't get the 'winning football is a measure of how morally you great you are' thing. Is Ohio State a charitable glorious institution because it wins games? No sins there, no sir.

Edited by Valmy77

15 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I think they're connected. The LHN wouldn't exist if there was a B12N.

This is all media driven. The success of BTN led to the SEC and Pac-10 starting their own networks. Why didn't the Big XII?

Let's not forget that Texas, along with Oklahoma/ Nebraska and A&M, all voted against a conference network in the 1st place:

The Big 12 Conference should have listened to Kevin Weiberg

Sep 2, 2014 - The rich — Texas, OU, Nebraska and Texas A&M — figured they ... to pat Weiberg onthe head and tell him to forget about a Big 12 Network. ... If the Big 12 had voted to install a network, perhaps it would have rankled Texas.

And, let's not forget that Nebraska was having talks with the B1G for months before the XII looked shaky, not in just a few mere days during XII meetings:

The Big Ten Decision-Omaha World Herald | Orange Power

www.orangepower.com › Oklahoma State University › OSU Sports Forum
Sep 1, 2010 - 3 posts - ‎2 authors

After a secret meeting with Delany on May 25 — the first major exchange .... Though Nebraska would rank at the bottom of the Big Ten on most ...

"Perlman first reached out to the Big Ten this January after a tipster warned him that even an elite football school like Nebraska could be left standing on the sidelines in a major conference shake-up that appeared to be brewing. 

• The future stability and academic prestige offered by the Big Ten would grow on NU officials. After a secret meeting with Delany on May 25 — the first major exchange between the two sides — Perlman was leaning in favor of the Big Ten. 

• The attraction was becoming mutual. Delany says Nebraska's stock rose significantly during that May 25 meeting. His parting words convinced Perlman that Nebraska was now a serious candidate. "

http://www.orangepower.com/threads/the-big-ten-decision-omaha-world-herald.97761/

The Untold Story of Nebraska to the Big Ten | mgoblog

Jul 14, 2014 - I hope I didn't just give away the ending Sit down kids and let me you a little story about the real reason Nebraska is a Big Ten team.

"Forget conference numerical accuracy, that already went out the door with Penn St, forget the cool logo with the 11 in the white space, the Big Ten had found their soul mate. It didn’t even matter when they were kicked out of the AAU shortly later. Nebraska had proven that they were the one. The one the Big Ten would be willing to sell all of its possessions to have.

Within three months the Big Ten put out a coy statement about reviewing expansion but the decision had been made. Nebraska must be ours, and within six months she was. Our perfect punting bride."

https://mgoblog.com/diaries/untold-story-nebraska-big-ten

• Like 1

Blaming LHN for all the faults in the country is easy but LHN probably isn't something conceived by the devil. Over the course of time I don't think it is still a net positive for UT sports at all. The money is great but we always have money. At this point, give me some debt in exchange for some playoff berths.

15 hours ago, Mileslong said:

For the last fucking time, being in the big 12 has nothing to with us sucking. Doesn’t seem to hurt OU, OSU, TCU or even Baylor when they had Briles.

It’s coaching and lack of a good QB period. The LHN has nothing to do with us not hitting on a QB or coaching hire so just staup

You think that  - with this crowd - you won’t have to explain it a few hundred more times. For the last time... pfft. 

22 hours ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

The LHN only has tier 3 rights. The university still has its tier 1 and tier 2 rights in with the conference's TV deal. The LHN didn't do shit to cause the past decade of turmoil. That's entirely on apathetic coaching and mailing it in on the recruiting trail by Mack. I love the guy, but he just wasn't the same after the loss to Alabama.

This. If Colt hadn't gotten hurt, we would have beaten Bama. Then Mack would have retired with dignity and not spent the next four years chasing that last title. He just didn't have the drive anymore, and it was clear with the product on the field. That's what originally fucked the program, and the last two coaching hires haven't fixed it.

That said, fuck the LHN. The content is shit and it's a massive distraction.

10 minutes ago, Drew80 said:

This. If Colt hadn't gotten hurt, we would have beaten Bama. Then Mack would have retired with dignity and not spent the next four years chasing that last title. He just didn't have the drive anymore, and it was clear with the product on the field. That's what originally fucked the program, and the last two coaching hires haven't fixed it.

That said, fuck the LHN. The content is shit and it's a massive distraction.

If the school would incorporate programming from the academic side, maybe even the performing arts as well, it would help with getting better content on the channel. Express student life on campus and really portray how/whyt he university is leading in so many facets of the scholastic world. It's important for the success of the channel to be able to provide an Avenue that no other channel is able to. That is how it will really be able to lost the moniker of being an anchor to the football program.

Laughable, man.

Have you ever seen the documentary on the 05 rose bowl team? Cameras were everywhere and they didn't seem to have a negative impact.