Herman Projecting

RomaVicta

They're trying too hard. They're trying to be perfect. They're weren't having fun.

In watching the offense last night, I began to wonder if these comments are projections rather than an observations.

Our most successful effort against Maryland was up tempo where we just ran the play with a pre-snap read by the QB. We go. We go. We go.

The rest of the time, we linger at the line. Clap. Look at the bench. Clap...Clap go. In this case who is trying to be too perfect? The offensive committee on the sideline and on headset are applying their united wisdom to read the defense and call the perfect play. They're not very good at it judging by results. Maybe the coaches are exerting too much control on the flow of the offense.

The offensive committee should perhaps bend their approach and change from extensive pre-snap diagnosis to allowing the players to make one of two plays work (I believe I've been told that in up-tempo the QB has the original play and an audible option when he comes to the line).  Just let the players get after it. 

It worked the one time you tried it.  Maybe stick with it.

This makes me wonder how much else Herman may be projecting when he talks about the players. They're sensitive. They're just trying too hard, dog gone it. They're better than what you are looking at. Hmmmm.

Maybe I erred in making a new thread. I thought a thread about this strange psychology aspect of Herman's explanation might deserve its own thread. I prefer it not become another platform for repeating oneself. But, every thread has its own life.

7 minutes ago, Hooky Hornstein said:

You have a coach who can't answer a question without hemming and hawing and drinking from a water bottle and he wonders why his team over-analyzes things instead of just reacting quickly.

Yep.  It's such a mystery.

These questions make him thirsty.

5 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

They're trying too hard. They're trying to be perfect. They're weren't having fun.

In watching the offense last night, I began to wonder if these comments are projections rather than an observations.

Our most successful effort against Maryland was up tempo where we just ran the play with a pre-snap read by the QB. We go. We go. We go.

The rest of the time, we linger at the line. Clap. Look at the bench. Clap...Clap go. In this case who is trying to be too perfect? The offensive committee on the sideline and on headset are applying their united wisdom to read the defense and call the perfect play. They're not very good at it judging by results. Maybe the coaches are exerting too much control on the flow of the offense.

The offensive committee should perhaps bend their approach and change from extensive pre-snap diagnosis to allowing the players to make one of two plays work (I believe I've been told that in up-tempo the QB has the original play and an audible option when he comes to the line).  Just let the players get after it. 

It worked the one time you tried it.  Maybe stick with it.

This makes me wonder how much else Herman may be projecting when he talks about the players. They're sensitive. They're just trying too hard, dog gone it. They're better than what you are looking at. Hmmmm.

Maybe I erred in making a new thread. I thought a thread about this strange psychology aspect of Herman's explanation might deserve its own thread. I prefer it not become another platform for repeating oneself. But, every thread has its own life.

what college offense doesn't look at the sidelines for a call these days?