Game Atmosphere

blacklab

Agreed.  The overall atmosphere was much better last night.  Moving the student sections and the band helped, plus Godzillatron was much less invasive.  CDC seems to actually give a shit about fan feedback.

So we have a better atmosphere to watch our team suck at football.  I guess that's progress.

I feel really good about CDC and his ability to look at a situation and make it better. He said as much on the broadcast last night. He is here to support the coaches and help them succeed. I'm truly glad he addressed the game day atmosphere as it has been terrible. Winning helps but having gone to other college campuses and seeing what they put into gameday, we can do much better. 

Here's to CDC and his eventual ass-kicking of Herman to get his product in order. Hook 'Em!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, blacklab said:

...during commercial breaks there was a count down clock in the bottom right of the godzillatron to let you know how much time is left in the break...

That's genius.  I hate having to watch the redcap and figure out what his various hand signals mean.

The fireworks at 90, 60, and 30 minutes were interesting. Didn’t mind it.

stadium stampede was much improved. Bevo Blvd seems like a success. 

Student section was amazing. Really the biggest improvement imo. You could actually hear “make em eat shit”

i was actually surprised at the atmosphere and turn out. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

Ahh so that’s what that sound was.  Thought it was just random smoky practice.

I though I heard Smokey go off several times at incorrect/unusual times.  Defensive 3rd down stop in the red zone; 4th down stop; far end of field play that might have looked like a td. 

It was a much better experience without the stupid in game jumbotron crap.  impressed the students showed up, not sure how he got that done.

bevo blvd and the music on LBJ lawn was very good.  only gripe is they need more food trucks/beer vendors/portapottis on Bevo Blvd.  especially for USC.

just need a coach.

27 minutes ago, Droopy said:

I feel really good about CDC and his ability to look at a situation and make it better. He said as much on the broadcast last night. He is here to support the coaches and help them succeed. I'm truly glad he addressed the game day atmosphere as it has been terrible. Winning helps but having gone to other college campuses and seeing what they put into gameday, we can do much better. 

Here's to CDC and his eventual ass-kicking of Herman to get his product in order. Hook 'Em!

I think Del Conte will get the "Coaching issues" resolved soon enough, if not during the season, expect a few changes on the offseason suggested...

I really liked Bevo Boulevard before the game. We were walking by the alumni center and I looked over and said "Holy Crap, there are all the players walking in."

The free outdoor music stage is also genius. 

I do think they overdid the crowd reaction stuff on the screens a bit, but overall the improvement was huge.

We were in the NEZ touchdown club for the game.. "competition brisket" my ass. Otherwise, the club was awesome too.  

• Like 1

the whole experience was a huge upgrade from previous years. big, big props to the students for showing up and filling their sections. when the game started, they mentioned that there was a new "tradition." i totally missed what that was, unless it was the kids rushing the field (which was cool).

my only minor gripe is that they missed a lot of replay opportunities. very rarely did they replay a great play or a questionable call.

so glad that they got rid of the gotdam weather guy. jfc those segments were painful.

25 minutes ago, millhouse said:

I don't Twitter so I don't know the answer, but I hope this type of feedback is getting to CDC. If the garbage on the field gets corrected we may actually be back to the rocking DKR from 10-15 years ago. 

He's been replying to both the positive and negative comments from the gameday stuff today

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

oh yeah, forgot about the student sections. They were packed before the game, such a huge change.

Also before the team came out they put smoke in the tunnel, and bevo led the team out.

bevo_entrance_smoke_tulsa_p1801.jpg

for a split second I really thought Bevo was getting loose

My take on this a little different than most since I was actually in the student section. The General Admission was terrible. Essentially there was just people stuck in the tunnel trying to pile into the stand. There were no seats and no where to go. We were told we needed to find seats but we couldn't move and no one would actually direct us to where there were seats. Eventually we found some seats near the aisle. Throughout the whole game, people were climbing over each other since no one found seats and just stood in the walkway. You couldn't leave to go to the restroom or people would steal your seat (it happened dozens of times around me). At halftime, people sat down but you still weren't able to leave or you lost your seat. Students became very angry that they couldn't find seats so they started to throw the fans. Then throwing the fans became a thing to do when we blew a 21 point lead. In general, the atmosphere was better but they need to do something about the general admission. They tried to turn around the students in the tunnels but no one would move so they gave up. USC is only going to be worse because people didnt even want to go to the Tulsa game because it could have rained and it was Tulsa. That's just my take

I ate dinner for under $10. That was awesoe. And i was comped a beer at the silver bullet bar while i watched aggy almost embarrass our program from 100 miles away.

I have student season tix this year since my wife is going back to school and those GA sections were completely full long before gametime. I think they filtered the spillover into the crappy south endzone because that was full shortly after gametime too. I just snuck into a different section but USC should be a shitshow and probably at student capacity by 6pm.

Bob Fucking Cole's new "... AND HERE ... WE .... GO" catchphrase before each kickoff was fucking brutal. Man, fuck that guy. My only real complaint of the night other than Eligher and TH's terrible offense.

Edited by Bottlecap

My brother works under CDC handling all the new gameday atmosphere with the ACL music and Bevo Blvd festivities so glad to hear the positive feedback. That was definitely the bright spot yesterday. Product on the field not so much. 
I haven't heard anything bad yet, almost makes me wish I'd bought USC tix now..

of course the product on the field hasn't gotten better since I made that decision.

As far as the crowd shots, for the first time I can remember in the last 20+ years, they had mobile cameramen in the west side upper deck sections. That got lots of kids and women excited to be on the godzillatron for the first time ever. He would point his camera at kids or women dancing and then a few seconds of footage would show up on the 'tron. They did get one shot of an older guy with a horns tattoo on his arm, he was flexing (thought it could have been Phlegm, but he's in FL, right?)

Also, when they led Bevo out of the smoke, he was a bit rambunctious. I bet there were a couple of photographers near the goalpost, that maybe shit their pants a little. I know they moved away quickly when they thought he might break loose.

The running of the Herd (kids under 12) was kinda cool, the little fat kid had a hard time, but he did run all the way across. He also stopped to make sure that one kid who fell was ok.

Yeah, the camerman hung out on our row for a good 10 minutes focused on the 12yo girl next to us who was dancing the whole time, but she never got on the big screen.

If anyone knows how to sign your kids up for the running of the herd please let me know.

1 hour ago, Bottlecap said:

I ate dinner for under $10. That was awesoe. And i was comped a beer at the silver bullet bar while i watched aggy almost embarrass our program from 100 miles away.

I have student season tix this year since my wife is going back to school and those GA sections were completely full long before gametime. I think they filtered the spillover into the crappy south endzone because that was full shortly after gametime too. I just snuck into a different section but USC should be a shitshow and probably at student capacity by 6pm.

Bob Fucking Cole's new "... AND HERE ... WE .... GO" catchphrase before each kickoff was fucking brutal. Man, fuck that guy. My only real complaint of the night other than Eligher and TH's terrible offense.

you must have been eating when the defense was on the field

My whole family used to be addicted to Zoo Tycoon. This was back in the early part of the millennium, when games came on CD-ROMs. Anyway, we'd build a great zoo, everyone loved it, the game was going great... so we'd block off the entrance, remove all the bathrooms and restaurants, and turn the animals loose to eat all the guests.
The guest approval rating, even when they were being murdered like that, never dropped below 34%. There will always be people who are satisfied with the status quo, no matter what.
That game was amazing. Except for markhors, fuck those things. I was at the game as well and was very impressed with fan turnout given last week and our opponent. Much better atmosphere than it's been the last half decade or so for sure