Game Atmosphere

blacklab

A few notes from the game last inght...

getting into the stadium was tough after 630, highly recommend getting in early next week if you don’t want to miss the pageantry/kickoff. 

The jumbo torn stepped all over the band during the first quarter and as usual during TEXAS FIGHT. 

Don’t Stop Believing was played before halftime kickoff which was made it less special as to how many people were not in their seats. 

No comment on can ncessions as I didn’t partake but I did hear complaints that it was tough to get food if sitting in lower bowl north end zone. 

Oh, the director for the Jumbotron had ADD, a mess of short crowd shots. 

Edited by CrownKing

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

So?  Student sections are supposed to be a shitshow....unless you want to go back to pure assigned seating.  Cram em in, pump em up, get em all pissed off.  

And I'm going to go with people not knowing about something being people's fault in this day and age...

I agree to a point. They were blocking aisles, jumping railings into club section, one chick passed out etc etc. 

All while the replacement student section was wide open and empty. 

11 hours ago, RexWilson said:

This person was complaining that the Hall of Fame took over the concession and sitting area. The HOF was so bad ass and is a great addition.

Pam is a fucking retard who needs to have her season tickets revoked. The people that designed and executed that project all deserve huge kudos. What an awesome display.

Seriously wtf is wrong with her?

• Like 2

Neg away bitches. I rolled my eyes when "Don't Stop Believing" came on and people (almost) instinctively got their phones out. The first time was organic and a bit awe-inducing. Now it's just an Instagram moment that will get less intense each time we do it. 

Not to be a hipster about it, but forcing it takes away the coolness. We don't need a Neil Diamond moment every game. 

• Like 5

I noticed post-game on LHN that band still plays The Eyes of Texas way too fucking fast.  This band director sucks.   How was the pregame this season?  Thought entire presentation was a little rushed last year with Texas Flag only being out for a couple of minutes, etc.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Player said:

Cole’s apparent exuberance at LaTech first downs was baffling. Maybe it’s just a weird “I’m Ron Burgundy?” intonation thing, but it was annoying.

I don’t think there was a single series where he didn’t incorrectly call down and distance at least once.

He's the only person I've ever heard say that a punt/kick returner "made the reception and return."  It's fucking annoying and has been going on for years now.

12 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

Neg away bitches. I rolled my eyes when "Don't Stop Believing" came on and people (almost) instinctively got their phones out. The first time was organic and a bit awe-inducing. Now it's just an Instagram moment that will get less intense each time we do it. 

Not to be a hipster about it, but forcing it takes away the coolness. We don't need a Neil Diamond moment every game. 

I'll one up you and say the only music I want to hear is from the band

• Like 4

The guy giving away ACL wristbands in the end zone went long and stepped on the beginning of the next play a bit.  Which is an improvement from a few years back when it seemed like commercial break shenanigans were fucking with the game constantly.

I think it was in this thread where I got shit on for wondering if people in the non student section stand on their seats.  They do not, but apart from a sooner dipshit and some disinterested people there for instagram photos, it seemed like medium to decent energy in the upper middle zone of section 2. 

That Pharoahe Monch song was great, and I was reminded again how exceptional RATM was.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

The guy giving away ACL wristbands in the end zone went long and stepped on the beginning of the next play a bit.  Which is an improvement from a few years back when it seemed like commercial break shenanigans were fucking with the game constantly.

I think it was in this thread where I got shit on for wondering if people in the non student section stand on their seats.  They do not, but apart from a sooner dipshit and some disinterested people there for instagram photos, it seemed like medium to decent energy in the upper middle zone of section 2. 

That Pharoahe Monch song was great, and I was reminded again how exceptional RATM was.

Yup. 

Announcer: its 3rrrrrrd dowwwwnnnnn!!!

(song lyrics: “GET THE FUCK UP! Simon says GET THE FUCK UP! Put your hands in the sky!!!!”)

48 minutes ago, miguelito said:

I love the LHB, I really do.  But they don't have to play something after every single down.  And it's kind of bush league when they play a riff, and then hold the last note for 20 seconds, as if to disrupt the opposing offense. 

I'll go yell at clouds now if I need to.

Agreed about that noisy shit they play when the opponent breaks huddle up until a couple of seconds before they snap the ball.

That is classless bush league bullshit. Let the crowd make the noise, and don’t pump up the godzillatron “music”  either. It’s just like piped in laughter on a shitty TV sitcom. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

Unfortunately...Bob Cole is alive and (un)well, growling and grrrrrrrrrring and being a fucking buffoon. Game day atmosphere will always be less than 100% as long as this assclown has access to a microphoy

1 hour ago, Player said:

Cole’s apparent exuberance at LaTech first downs was baffling. Maybe it’s just a weird “I’m Ron Burgundy?” intonation thing, but it was annoying.

I don’t think there was a single series where he didn’t incorrectly call down and distance at least once.

Bob Cole motivated me to choose my username back in the Hornfans days. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BurdineBandit said:

THIS....exactly this.   It felt gross watching it.  Spot on.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Feels like the young/student crowd eats up those Don't Stop Believing "moments", and that's the demographic that they're trying to appeal to and retain.

Maybe my demographic needs to explain to them how lame Neal Diamond was and is. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

1 minute ago, Surly Bevo said:

Maybe but guarantee old Neil has made more panties drop than all of Surly combined

All the hotties I knew in the late 70s-80s thought he was absolutely lame. One guy in our Chicago office was a big fan, and all the younger women ridiculed him behind his back. Different strokes, I guess. I’m sure he had plenty of groupies. 

Last night was the first time I've been to a game in several years.

Took the shuttle from the mall and it was well worth the $10 spent.

I really liked what they've done outside the stadium and as previously mentioned the HOF was well done. 

I wish they'd find a way to include more local beers (Over 50 breweries in Austin area), but still happy they had beer.

Number 1 complaint: When did we start yelling OU Sucks during Texas Fight at home games? I didn't even know it existed until my first Tex-OU game. I've heard it during the waning moments of the game before Tex-OU but not every fucking time. Look I get it, the delicate sensibilities of some people are offended by "Make 'Em Eat Shit" and "Go Horns Go" lacks pizazz but you cannot resort to "OU Sucks". I compromised with the wife when we had kids and yell "Make 'Em Eat IT " at home, and y'all can resort to whatever stupid shit you want, but you simply can't just throw out "OU Sucks". It rightfully should be reserved for only when those cock suckers north of the Red River can hear it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Texas007 said:

Last night was the first time I've been to a game in several years.

Took the shuttle from the mall and it was well worth the $10 spent.

I really liked what they've done outside the stadium and as previously mentioned the HOF was well done. 

I wish they'd find a way to include more local beers (Over 50 breweries in Austin area), but still happy they had beer.

Number 1 complaint: When did we start yelling OU Sucks during Texas Fight at home games? I didn't even know it existed until my first Tex-OU game. I've heard it during the waning moments of the game before Tex-OU but not every fucking time. Look I get it, the delicate sensibilities of some people are offended by "Make 'Em Eat Shit" and "Go Horns Go" lacks pizazz but you cannot resort to "OU Sucks". I compromised with the wife when we had kids and yell "Make 'Em Eat IT " at home, and y'all can resort to whatever stupid shit you want, but you simply can't just throw out "OU Sucks". It rightfully should be reserved for only when those cock suckers north of the Red River can hear it.

OU Sucks

First time at DKR in a few years. Brought my LA colleague with me. I truly love what Del Conte has done. I was a bit worried how I’d burn through 5 hours before game time getting to parking at 2 pm but aside from all the tremendously friendly tail gates we hit and the stampede and parade at the stadium with food and beer I’ve converted another to the burnt orange