Game Atmosphere

blacklab

23 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

Two drunk dudes started throwing haymakers at each other in section 27.  It looked like NFL going goon.  

I was wondering what the commotion was about and figured it was a fight. The camera panned on the embarrassing Longhorn Hellraisers and their fat, ugly “honeys” too much for me taste, especially when they were eating slices of apples. Very happy with the game atmosphere otherwise and grateful that CDC is in charge.

Just now, phdhorn said:

Better idea!  Giant bedsheet showing weekly movies at DKR!!!!!  Airplane! up first!!!

There's an old theater (broadway type, not movie) in Tyler and they would show old movies on a projection screen. Was pretty cool. Saw Airplane! and Young Frankenstein there. GF enjoyed it cause we were sitting in the balcony seats, go figure. 

Band and students are directly across from me (I'm in 103).  What a nice change to 1) to actually have the band playing and 2) having a full student section.

Was really encouraged by 1st half stadium experience.....2nd half we seemed to go back to some of the old, bad habits (and I'm not talking about the football team)....jumbotron blasting endless noise, and the ads came back (they just could help themselves).

2 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Such a waste of money. Fuckin Steve Patterson....

It still blows my mind that people think UT paid for the jetpack guy.  I don't even know how anyone gets near that assumption.

Fuck him and Steve Patterson though.

It just "grinds my gears" that people think UT paid jetpack guy $, so that Mighty Fine could use jetpack guy in a "commercial" before games.

29 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Yes, the 28 year old missing person announcement was weird.  She might have found a date and left during the third quarter shit show.  

They put up another announcement at the end with her pic on the big screen. She was obviously a special needs. 

50 minutes ago, scottsins said:

It still blows my mind that people think UT paid for the jetpack guy.  I don't even know how anyone gets near that assumption.

Fuck him and Steve Patterson though.

It just "grinds my gears" that people think UT paid jetpack guy $, so that Mighty Fine could use jetpack guy in a "commercial" before games.

Not all promotions are 100% paid for by the sponsor

On 9/9/2018 at 3:29 PM, Brothahorn said:
On 9/9/2018 at 2:52 PM, blacklab said:
oh yeah, forgot about the student sections. They were packed before the game, such a huge change.
Also before the team came out they put smoke in the tunnel, and bevo led the team out.
bevo_entrance_smoke_tulsa_p1801.jpg

Bevo was ready play. I loved seeing him swanging and banging.

I suspect it’s a frame pulled from the video feed...but I think that’s still the single greatest Bevo photo of all time. 

Edited by Gut Wagon
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

I suspect it’s a frame pulled from the video feed...but I think that’s still the single greatest Bevo photo of all time. 

I don't know if that's the case of not but it's hard to imagine a better one.  He was ready.  

He's one handsome SOB

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:20 AM, Intercourse With Gray said:

The main issue I had is the lack of communication of where to go. IDGAF if the seats are taken. Show me where I need to go to get a seat. General admission doesn't work when you just let everyone in with no direction.

Weird. Every single time in my life I have bought GA tickets to any kind of event, I have walked in, found the GA section, and sat down in an open seat. That's what GA is. Not sure how fucking retarded people must be to not be able to handle that.

If you want reserved seats in a specific section, buy them. Rocket science, I realize.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/10/2018 at 11:20 AM, Intercourse With Gray said:

The main issue I had is the lack of communication of where to go. IDGAF if the seats are taken. Show me where I need to go to get a seat. General admission doesn't work when you just let everyone in with no direction. One girl was pushed down the stairs because people were trying to climb up. They seriously had to send medical personnel out because she busted her nose and was bleeding from the forehead.  A chick 3 rows up just pissed where where was sitting because she didn't want to lose her seat to go to the restroom. What's different now then in 95 or 05 is the ability for students to buy alcohol in the stadium. You could always smuggle it in but there was always the chance of getting caught and you couldn't smuggle in a lot. Now no one gives a fuck which makes the student section drunker and more stupid than ever.

When you combine the ability to buy alcohol with a lack of coordination, shit goes down. The student section started hurling shit at the field. I don't know you, but that is not the fan base that I want. They were even throwing stuff onto the field even after the refs warned us that if we keep doing it that it would cost Texas a penalty. They will almost certainly throw stuff onto the field against USC and it could cost us the game. 

Never attended a concert in the pit?  There's a price to pay for having a spot on the rail and only those completely serious about the event get there.  That's the point.  Get there early, make friends with your neighbors (so they hold your spot if you need a bathroom break or concession run) and police yourself.  There's always going to be a level of frustration with those around you in this type of situation, but that's the price to be paid for getting up close and personal with the game.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stampeder said:

Never attended a concert in the pit?  There's a price to pay for having a spot on the rail and only those completely serious about the event get there.  That's the point.  Get there early, make friends with your neighbors (so they hold your spot if you need a bathroom break or concession run) and police yourself.  There's always going to be a level of frustration with those around you in this type of situation, but that's the price to be paid for getting up close and personal with the game.  

tumblr_oku6g682601rgos3ko1_400.gif

• Like 1

The band didn't do their usual march in either. They basically came fucking running out of the tunnel. 

Apparently the band changing their pregame to that shit show pushed the flag out of the picture. I’m trying to get more details from APO friends. No more Eyes of Texas giant Texas flag waving if the band director has his way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Apparently the band changing their pregame to that shit show pushed the flag out of the picture. I’m trying to get more details from APO friends. No more Eyes of Texas giant Texas flag waving if the band director has his way.

Ugh. Fuck that. Guess they were bound to fuck at least something up.
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

The main issue I had is the lack of communication of where to go. IDGAF if the seats are taken. Show me where I need to go to get a seat. General admission doesn't work when you just let everyone in with no direction. One girl was pushed down the stairs because people were trying to climb up. They seriously had to send medical personnel out because she busted her nose and was bleeding from the forehead.  A chick 3 rows up just pissed where where was sitting because she didn't want to lose her seat to go to the restroom. What's different now then in 95 or 05 is the ability for students to buy alcohol in the stadium. You could always smuggle it in but there was always the chance of getting caught and you couldn't smuggle in a lot. Now no one gives a fuck which makes the student section drunker and more stupid than ever.
When you combine the ability to buy alcohol with a lack of coordination, shit goes down. The student section started hurling shit at the field. I don't know you, but that is not the fan base that I want. They were even throwing stuff onto the field even after the refs warned us that if we keep doing it that it would cost Texas a penalty. They will almost certainly throw stuff onto the field against USC and it could cost us the game. 

This lame shit just makes me sad. Really sad.

Back in 95-97 we would drink like fucking champs before a game. Crazy drink. And I’m not sure how they pulled it off, but man we used to have handle bars of Jim Beam in the student section. Along with those plastic bottles of that cheap ass vodka. Big fucking bottles. Not travelers. It was a way more intense drunk for a bunch of 18-22 yr olds than buying any overpriced beer would bring. You always brought in flasks as well, but damn there was no shortage of legit big bottle booze around.

And throwing shit on the field?? Lol. Cups and shit always went flying in the student section. Go back and look at the Sugar Bowl in 96 against V Tech. The end zone got peppered with bottles and cups. This is nothing new.

The student GA needs to be handled differently if most of that is true. Basically they need to handle the admission and hand out tickets on a first come first serve basis when they open the gates. You don't just head down in a horde, but you are filtered through an admission point and the tickets are prepared and in order with best tickets on top and handed out like that. So then you have a ticket and can get back to your seat if you need to use the restroom, etc. And it prevents overcrowding to keep the fire marshal happy (if you run out of tickets then nobody else gets in to the GA area).

He’s pre med.

2 hours ago, Ldogg53 said:

Back in 95-97 we would drink like fucking champs before a game. Crazy drink. And I’m not sure how they pulled it off, but man we used to have handle bars of Jim Beam in the student section. Along with those plastic bottles of that cheap ass vodka. Big fucking bottles. Not travelers. It was a way more intense drunk for a bunch of 18-22 yr olds than buying any overpriced beer would bring. You always brought in flasks as well, but damn there was no shortage of legit big bottle booze around.

And throwing shit on the field?? Lol. Cups and shit always went flying in the student section. Go back and look at the Sugar Bowl in 96 against V Tech. The end zone got peppered with bottles and cups. This is nothing new.

I was an undergrad at the same time. I remember one of my friends brought a big plastic flask of vodka to the 1996 Texas vs Missouri opener.  Huge thunderstorm at halftime, we got drenched.  During the break, one of my buddies pulled out the flask and a naive friend of ours asked if he could take a drink... He then started drinking the vodka like it was water.... because he thought it was water (and was thirsty).  He spit it out like a champ.

I haven't snuck in a flask in forever though.  A buddy of mine used to sneak in a bunch of airplane Crown Royals back in the day which was not something I complained about. No need anymore with the beer sales.

Good to sse you 95-97er's were keepin up the good work we did from 71-75.

and yeah there were always big bottles of beam and jack layin around empty after the game, beam and jack got square bottles won't roll down the steps under the seat. Buy 1 coke, brown top it and keep refilling with booze, by the 3rd q it's straight booze. And piss? Piss before ya go to yer seat. Then hold it. What ya got a thimble sized bladder? Pussy.

• Like 2

Some great changes. My biggest gripes are the band’s entrance and lack of flag and the stupid animated Bevo that screamed on the screen.

All in all, I thought it was good.

And Clarissa:

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/ut-police-looking-for-missing-person-at-longhorns-game/1428281634

Please let Del Conte know about the Flag. Ad@athletics.utexas.edu

Trying to prove to the AD team that people actually care about the flag.

18 hours ago, 4th_and_18 said:

Any video on this? Can't seem to find the pregame show on youtube

18 hours ago, Ldogg53 said:

Seems appropriate:

6:00 Arise, play the Eyes of Texas and Texas Fight at full-freaking blast

6:20 Get in car, drive to New Braunfels

7:30 Tee off (me and a buddy were the FIRST tee-time of the morning)

8:50 Turn 9 (crack open first beer)

8:53 Crack open second beer

8:58 Crack open...(you get the idea)

10:30 Finish 18 (holes, as well as beers), sign scorecard for smoooooth 95

10:35 Headed for San Antonio (Alamodome - Nebraska vs Texas)

10:50 Buy three 18-packs for pre- and post-game festivities

11:10 We decide we don't have enough booze, so we double-back to a liquor store and buy the good ol' 750 ml plastic bottle "Traveler" Jim Beam

11:50 Arrive at the tailgate spot. Awesome day. Not a single cloud in the sky. About 70 degrees.

11:55 I decide that we're going to kick the ********** out of Nebraska.

11:56 I tell my first Nebraska fan to go f!!k himself.

12:15 The UT band walks by on the way to the Alamodome. We're on the second floor of a two-story parking garage on the corner (a couple hundred of us). We're hooting and hollering like wildmen. The band doubles back to the street right below us and serenades us with Texas Fight and The Eyes of Texas. AWESOME MOMENT.

12:25 In the post-serenade serendipity, 50-100 grown men are bumping chests with one another, each and every one of them now secure and certain of the fact that we are going to kick the ********** out of Nebraska.

11:00 The Nebraska band walks by on the way to the Alamodome. Again, we hoot and holler like wildmen. Again, the band doubles back and stops right below us to serenade us, this time, however, with the Nebraska fight songs. Although somewhat impressed by their spirit and verve, we remain convinced that we are going to kick the ********** out of Nebraska.

1:30 I begin the walk to the Alamodome, somehow managing to stuff the "Traveler" and 11 cans of beer into my pants.

1:47 I am in line surrounded by Nebraska fans. They are taunting me. I am taunting back, still certain that we are going to kick the ********** out of Nebraska. I decide to challenge a particularly vocal Nebraska fan to play what I now call and will forever be remembered as "Cell-Phone Flop Out." Remember flop out for a dollar? The rules are similar. I tell this Nebraska jackass that if he's so confident in his team, he should "flop out" his cell phone RIGHT NOW and make plane reservations to Phoenix for the Fiesta Bowl. And then I spoke these memorable words: "And not those damn refundable tickets, either! You request those non-refundable, non-transferrable sons-of-b!tches!" He backs down. He is unworthy. I call Southwest Airlines and buy two tickets to Phoenix, non-refundable and non-transferrable. Price: $712. He is humbled. He lowers his head in shame. I raise my cell phone in triumph to the cheers of hundreds of Texas fans. I am KING and these are my subjects. I distribute the 11 beers in my pants to the cheering masses. I RULE the pre-game kingdom.

2:34 Kickoff. Brimming with confidence, I open the Traveler and pour my first stiffy.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 4th_and_18 said:

LHB Alum here. The LHB director, Scott Hanna, is a politician of a director. He's completely out of touch with what a good gameday experience is and thinks that playing the chest thump thing a dozen times in a row, ala boomer sooner, constitutes good UT football gameday music. He write shit marching shows that are all squiggly bullshit that look like nothing and he builds the student leadership of LHB to be a bunch of "yes" men and women validating every ill-thought out idea he has. He was the one of the least fun parts of being in LHB for 5 years, and the band has only gotten stodgier and more boring since he became the head director a couple years ago.

And since he plays the politics game so much he's not going anywhere. It's infuriating to see him turn what should a be a loud, fun, energetic group into a repetitive, demure, clapping section. Anything and all the chants the bad does that are "problematic" like "make em eat shit" and "OU sucks" or "Lubbock sucks" and some of the more raunchy chants all had the kibosh put on them under threat of docking grade points.

• Like 2

Update on giant Texas flag: Flag waving during eyes of Texas has been eliminated indefinitely as part of pregame changes. Band and cheer are going to try and squeeze in the flag while the team is running out which sounds like a terrible fucking idea. Should be a corner open similar to OU game. It’s a cool open but also really easy to fuck up and end up opening in a bow tie. So there’s something to watch for today pregame.

LHB Alum here. The LHB director, Scott Hanna, is a politician of a director. He's completely out of touch with what a good gameday experience is and thinks that playing the chest thump thing a dozen times in a row, ala boomer sooner, constitutes good UT football gameday music. He write shit marching shows that are all squiggly bullshit that look like nothing and he builds the student leadership of LHB to be a bunch of "yes" men and women validating every ill-thought out idea he has. He was the one of the least fun parts of being in LHB for 5 years, and the band has only gotten stodgier and more boring since he became the head director a couple years ago.
And since he plays the politics game so much he's not going anywhere. It's infuriating to see him turn what should a be a loud, fun, energetic group into a repetitive, demure, clapping section. Anything and all the chants the bad does that are "problematic" like "make em eat shit" and "OU sucks" or "Lubbock sucks" and some of the more raunchy chants all had the kibosh put on them under threat of docking grade points.
No raunchy chants from lhb?

What

The

Fuck?

Fuck that guy. Fuck him in his goat ass.
  • Like 1