How Much Patience Does CDC Have?

Spur08

During the broadcast last night, “Right now, I understand what Tom’s trying to do and I like what we’re seeing as long as we’re winning.”  Clearly a shot across the bow for Mensa.  How much time does he give Herman to fix this mess?  Has CDC gone into previous programs (obviously not TCU) and implemented a coaching change fairly quickly?

He's the only reason I have hope.  I don't see him firing Herman without a guy locked up.  It may take 2-3 years to get the right guy but I see him making calls behind closed doors to gauge interest of what it will take.  When he gets his guy, he will fire Herman.  I assume he's going to spend the next year raising money for Herman's contract and raising money for a big name guy.  Unless we win 10 games next year, I don't see him keeping Herman.  I don't think he's come here to win 8-9 games.  That guys wants us competing for championships.  He didn't leave good money and good success at TCU to come here to fail.

Edited by victory88
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, victory88 said:

He's the only reason I have hope.  I don't see him firing Herman without a guy locked up.  It may take 2-3 years to get the right guy but I see him making calls behind closed doors to gauge interest of what it will take.  When he gets his guy, he will fire Herman.  I assume he's going to spend the next year raising money for Herman's contract and raising money for a big name guy.  Unless we win 10 games next year, I don't see him keeping Herman.  I don't think he's come here to win 8-9 games.  That guys wants us competing for championships.  He didn't leave good money and good success at TCU to come here to fail.

As long as it doesn't get to the point of Del Conte not returning fans tweets who complain in sly comments about the team underperforming, Herman is ok...
I think you are right on CDC looking for a potential certified replacement, but at this point, I think if Herman had a capable qb, things are quite different for UT...

He may have a capable quarterback in Rising, Thompson, or an early enrollment away with Johnson.  Mensa putting his early career in the hand of a kid that will not improve to the level necessary to keep him afloat.  CDC sounded concerned in that booth as Tulsa aired it out on that two play drive.

16 minutes ago, CobbInLimbo said:

He may have a capable quarterback in Rising, Thompson, or an early enrollment away with Johnson.  Mensa putting his early career in the hand of a kid that will not improve to the level necessary to keep him afloat.  CDC sounded concerned in that booth as Tulsa aired it out on that two play drive.

Yea, I  found it quite hilarious that as soon as he made that statement, Tulsa started making their run.

I really thought over that comment as well.....it really struck me as "start winning sooner than later", but who knows

reading it again now I think "well that makes two of you that understand what tom is trying to do" (Del and tom) because no one else including the team or any of the fans seem to know what the fuck he is trying to do

24 minutes ago, Spur08 said:

Also, if you haven't heard the open mic comment from Lowell Galindo after "The Eyes.." was played - it's pretty hilarious.

"We can both agree this sucked, right?"

Could be worse:

Well, at least they didn't say "turn it over to the Clemson @ A&M game right now"...

16 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Lol just rewound it and yep, hilarious

it wasnt galindo tho, i think it was shipley

I don’t think Galindo has enough good bullshit in him to even think of something like that 

I didn’t read anything into CDCs comments. I was as annoyed at his jacket as I was on our pathetic pass D and lack of pass rush. If it was a shot across the bow, then good for CDC. Herman needs to know this shit ain’t acceptable and now. He needs to know he looked like a mental patient at his post game presser and that shit needs to stop too. 

CDC's history of hiring coaches is pretty limited (at least, for football).

At Rice, from 2006 through 2009, he hired:  David Bailiff (replacement for Todd Graham). Seems to me hanging our hats on that resume is a lot like hiring a coach from Louisville or U of H. And there's no way a proud program like UT would ever do something like that, right?

Maybe CDC will save us from ourselves, but any evidence of that consists of liking the way he presents himself when he speaks, and the fact that he's been active in the other areas of his job. But whether he will make the right personnel decisions or not...? That is a complete unknown.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

He's going to raise money and call it "locker room re-do".  

And hermans going to be like "didn't we just do the locker rooms?  I took a sledgehammer to the old ones.  Maybe we tried too hard to have good lackerrooms last time? ". But his arrogance won't see it coming.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

CDC's history of hiring coaches is pretty limited (at least, for football).

At Rice, from 2006 through 2009, he hired:  David Bailiff (replacement for Todd Graham). Seems to me hanging our hats on that resume is a lot like hiring a coach from Louisville or U of H. And there's no way a proud program like UT would ever do something like that, right?

Maybe CDC will save us from ourselves, but any evidence of that consists of liking the way he presents himself when he speaks, and the fact that he's been active in the other areas of his job. But whether he will make the right personnel decisions or not...? That is a complete unknown.

As a RIce grad I can say that his pool of talent from which to choose for Rice was markedly different from what he will have to choose from for UT.  Bailiff was about the best he could do at the time, especially after Graham left unexpectedly after saying he was staying.  CDC should (assuming he has the $$$) be able to step up.

15 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

I don’t think Galindo has enough good bullshit in him to even think of something like that 

I didn’t read anything into CDCs comments. I was as annoyed at his jacket as I was on our pathetic pass D and lack of pass rush. If it was a shot across the bow, then good for CDC. Herman needs to know this shit ain’t acceptable and now. He needs to know he looked like a mental patient at his post game presser and that shit needs to stop too. 

Does Herman get a labotomy and a pillow in the end?  Who is the Indian who finally escapes, Orlando?  

Showing my age, but I still want to know how this movie ends.  

So does CDC consider asking Herman to hire an experienced Coaching Analyst to help this staff like Saban does??

Maybe an older former Coach that can observe, consult,  provide quality control evaluation for the team and assist in video review and scouting.

Edited by LTtxfan

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

So does CDC consider asking Herman to hire an experienced Coaching Analyst to help this staff like Saban does??

Maybe an older former Coach that can observe, consult,  provide quality control evaluation for the team and assist in video review and scouting.

Forgot to add......

Any names come to mind for this possible analyst position ??

I do not believe he gets three years no matter what. It’s an entirely different situation than Strong. Expectations were much higher with so many upperclassmen in the two deep. We have a new AD trying to quickly raise money. A&M and Oklahoma have a bright future with their current coaching situation.  Strong was certainly more likeable and had most people wanting him to succeed. If he tanks this season it’s not out of the question he gets fired. 

It’s not as simple as Strong got three so Herman automatically gets three. There is context for sure. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

I don’t know what you are referring to as far as “quickly“ but he did force Patterson to change the offense to the one run by Cumbie.

This is how I think it will go here.  If things don't improve over the next few games, he'll force Herman to start dumping assistants.  Or at least sideline them and bring in "consultants" to do their jobs.  It's really the only hope I have left right now.

Edited by TriStone
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

As someone up thread said, if the wheels fall of and we limp to 4-5 wins, he has an incredibly difficult decision to make.

If CDC can somehow make chicken salad out of this over the next few years, he'll deserve a very large bump in salary because he's gunna earn it from here on out.

56 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

I don’t know what you are referring to as far as “quickly“ but he did force Patterson to change the offense to the one run by Cumbie.

Interesting how Stoops & Fatterson's programs recovered from poor results simply  by adding Riley & Cumbie/Meacham

13 minutes ago, TriStone said:

This is how I think it will go here.  If things don't improve over the next few games, he'll force Herman to start dumping assistants.  Or at least sideline them and bring in "consultants" to do their jobs.  It's really the only hope I have left right now.

This makes the most sense to me. If we go 4-8 or 5-7, CDC will have to do something, but I doubt even that would result in his firing TH. Then, in year three, if there's not substantial improvement, say 9-3 with a win over blow-u (maybe LSU might do it), then he's gone for sure.

Is it possible CDC fires TH after this year? I guess, but a lot will depend on the character of this year's losses, the amount of monetary underwriting he can secure from the BMD's for the change, the candidate(s) who are available (and willing) at the end of this year, etc.

• Like 1

I don't disagree that he could get fired following this year depending on the outcome of the season.  I would say, if he doesn't learn how to not be a total cockmunch and humble himself during pressers, then he's certainly not buying himself any extra length on that rope.

Edited by Spur08
  • Like 1

We must remember that Aggy  screwed over the entire cfb landscape with their jimbo contract.   They re set the bar for a "top tier" coach. If herman shits the bed completely this season and is fired, Are texas big money guys ready to pay off his remaining 3 years,  plus a jimbo level contract to a new guy?  

I think herman gets at least 3 years, just like charlie.  

14 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

We must remember that Aggy  screwed over the entire cfb landscape with their jimbo contract.   They re set the bar for a "top tier" coach. If herman shits the bed completely this season and is fired, Are texas big money guys ready to pay off his remaining 3 years,  plus a jimbo level contract to a new guy?  

I think herman gets at least 3 years, just like charlie.  

7.5M is about the going rate for a 10 win coach with a MNC.  The 10 year deal was just aggy attorneys thinking they are clever, the could have got him for 5.  But that's why they are aggy, they will gloat for 3-4 years then wonder what went wrong in about year 5. 

19 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

7.5M is about the going rate for a 10 win coach with a MNC.  The 10 year deal was just aggy attorneys thinking they are clever, the could have got him for 5.  But that's why they are aggy, they will gloat for 3-4 years then wonder what went wrong in about year 5. 

The Jimbo thing is nothing new for aggy. In 1982, they made Jackie Sherrill the highest paid university employee in the country.

I think that Herman gets the rest of this year and all of next year to get his shit together, with some strong suggestions on how he needs to improve at the end of this season.  Meanwhile, I hope that CDC is already starting to gather information on potential replacements and laying the groundwork for an organized and orderly search for Herman's replacement.

CDC didn’t hire Herman so I don’t think he’s as married to him as everyone thinks. He wants shit turned around now not later, so he has this year to prove he can show massive improvement game to game and win a few games we aren’t favored in as well.

start with usc and look halfway decent in doing it then continue to get better but if we shit the bed to 4/5 wins I don’t see how he isn’t looking to make a change.

This loyalty to Beck and Ehlinger seems unwarranted and CDC won't put up with it much longer. Too many other teams have QB's who even if they are developing, are effective. Sam looks like a high school QB and it's hard to see him getting better. Makes a few plays here and there but really only playing adequate for 1-2 quarters a game.  Can't believe no other QB got reps against Tulsa.

Herman isn't going anywhere...he has Beck as his hold card for another year to get this thing going.

I did like Gallindo saying "that won't make these Texas fans happy" while CDC was in the booth....that is the first and probably last time I have something nice to say about Lowell, so I will go ahead and get that out of the way. 

CDC gets it....I am confident of that.