Scott Wilson attended 500 consecutive Texas football games...

Bernard

....and still counting. 

Nice to see him honored on the Adzillitron during the game. He also has an insane baseball streak going. Hoops too I think. Not to mention other sports. Dude has gone full fanatic. Makes me seem so much more normal. 

Bernard

Edited by Bernard

....and still counting. 

Nice to see him honored on the Adzillitron during the game. He also has an insane baseball streak going. Hoops too I think. Not to mention other sports. Dude has gone full fanatic. Makes me seem so much more normal. 

Bernard

His baseball record is astounding as well. He goes to everything.

37 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

He goes to everything.

‘Everything” is right

I sat next to him at a football game in Manhattan, Kansas several years ago. He told me on his drive from Austin to Kansas that he crossed a river where Texas Crew was involved in a boat race vs one or more other schools. He stopped his car along the I-35 bridge that crossed the river hosting the race just so he could cheer on the rowers as they rowed their boat under he bridge. Then he jumped back in his car and resumed his drive  to Kansas. 

Bernard

• Like 1

Just now, taybo20 said:

It’s incredible nothing has caused him to miss a game. 

It's an impressive streak, I wonder what sacrifices in other parts of his life he's made to achieve that record.  Unless he's single, and has no family, he's definitely pissed off people in his life if he's always picked games over other life events.

• Like 1

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

It's an impressive streak, I wonder what sacrifices in other parts of his life he's made to achieve that record.  Unless he's single, and has no family, he's definitely pissed off people in his life if he's always picked games over other life events.

My thinking too. 

I was at the game with a few buddies (in the Tulsa section) and we couldn’t stop talking about this guy. The cost to travel to every game, the time commitment, how could he pull that off? Was it really that enjoyable every game? No regrets missing things? Now your telling me he has a similar streak for baseball and basketball too? Does that include road games? At least football is on weekends. How does this guy make money? Surely a basketball and football game overlapped and he had to miss one or the other (probably basketball). Fascinating for sure.

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I was at the game with a few buddies (in the Tulsa section) and we couldn’t stop talking about this guy. The cost to travel to every game, the time commitment, how could he pull that off? Was it really that enjoyable every game? No regrets missing things? Now your telling me he has a similar streak for baseball and basketball too? Does that include road games? At least football is on weekends. How does this guy make money? Surely a basketball and football game overlapped and he had to miss one or the other (probably basketball). Fascinating for sure.

Not only that, but the last 80 football games must have been an absolute beating to sit through after all that trouble. I would demand a refund for the past 8 years. 

37 minutes ago, 'stache said:

they said it included road games , and a quick google says he's a retired lawyer.   and has been to Omaha every summer since 1980

5b255a90aaef5.image.jpg?resize=1200,800 

Edited by Dennis Taylor

58 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

All that time wasted. Such a tragedy. 

I assume this is a joke about Texas' recent struggles, but my friends and I thought it was kind of sad in some ways to devote that much time to anything sports related.  As much as I love sports and my alma mater, I can't imagine devoting that much time to it.  I have season tickets and make every home game I can justify, but things come up, and I've missed quite a few in the last several years for work things, family and kid things, etc.  I prioritize them over football.   But if it truly makes him happy, then more power to him.  I just wonder if at any point it became an obsessive thing to keep the streak going.  My guess is he genuinely derives joy out of this, so good for him.  It's not for me, but to each their own. 

Knowing many people who tailgate with him, get invited to his parties, etc., I suspect it is just as much the joys of camaraderie and fellowship amongst longhorn fans as it is the teams playing the game. Especially during epic droughts like we are going through now...it has to be the only thing to keep it joyful. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I don’t know about that. I mentioned his streaks to my wife, and she said she’d like to meet this guy, Scott Wilson. 

More on Scott.    Scott is one of the most congenial persons I have met.   Treats everyone with respect and never forgets your name.    iirc,  he retired about 4-5 years ago from a position as an attorney for a health insurance company in Austin.      He told me the company worked with him on his work schedule to be able to attend games.    Great guy !

Scott’s streak: Texas fan Scott Wilson was recognized in the second quarter for attending his 500th straight Longhorns game. The 500-game streak takes the Austin resident back to a 30-14 win at SMU … in 1977.

As dedicated as Wilson has been to the football team, this 500-game streak may not be his most impressive run with one of UT’s athletic programs. Wilson has attended every baseball game Texas has played since April 8, 2000. He will enter this spring with a 1,175-game streak.

https://www.hookem.com/story/texas-tulsa-notebook-new-punter-ryan-bujcevski-struggles-ut-better-job-protecting/

I sat next to him in Oxford back in 2012 and then again in Waco the next year at the Floyd Casey ice bowl game. I thought he was a really good guy both times, so props to him for doing what he loves.

Not sure how he keeps that up though. I had a 86-game home streak from 97-12, if I counted correctly, and it was only an obsessive sense of obligation that got me to a few of those. 

6 hours ago, 'stache said:

I assume this is a joke about Texas' recent struggles, but my friends and I thought it was kind of sad in some ways to devote that much time to anything sports related.  As much as I love sports and my alma mater, I can't imagine devoting that much time to it.  I have season tickets and make every home game I can justify, but things come up, and I've missed quite a few in the last several years for work things, family and kid things, etc.  I prioritize them over football.   But if it truly makes him happy, then more power to him.  I just wonder if at any point it became an obsessive thing to keep the streak going.  My guess is he genuinely derives joy out of this, so good for him.  It's not for me, but to each their own. 

I vacillate along these lines. On one hand, the whole concept of what this guy has done makes me kind of sad. Not just sad because how pathetic the teams have been at times during this streak of his. Just sad thinking about all the things he missed out on by committing to this. That a contribution could have been made somewhere else in the world by a man of this conviction, and what a shame. But then I realize that's my own bullshit. He's a free man making free choices and apparently endearing himself to others along the way, making their experiences better in the process. This is a man committed to his "craft" in ways that I can admire, I guess. When I think about through that lens, I'm happy for the dude and hope he's able to make 500 more.