Washer/Dryer recs. Top load washer vs front load?

Stunns38

Hello fellas,

We’re researching new washers and dryers and have come upon tons of info. What’s your experience and/or recs on brands and your opinion on top load vs. front load? We’ve had front load for years and never had any issues but our W/D room will be upstairs(New house)and the wife is worried about possible leaks from the front load doors. Plus her mom highly recommends top load and she always listens to mom.

Thanks!

Bought a new washer and dryer when I moved two years ago - whatever Whirlpool's top of the line is.  If I had it to do over again, I would have opted for the good old Speed Queen washer and dryer.  Man, fuck this hour to hour and twenty minute wash cycle followed up by an hour dryer cycle vs. the Speed Queen 30 minute cycle for each.

Yeah, we had front load W/D for the last 9 years in nyc and never had any leaks. Plus our W/D will be a tight fit so the surface area on top is a good idea. Any noticeable differences regarding the cleaning quality? I’ve read that front load cleans better than top load but I can’t notice any difference.
Thanks for your replies so far

I use'm but Mrs Fairway is the one who gets to choose'm

We've had a top loading washer for at least 10 years, and she says the next one will be back to a top loader. We've had to replace the door gasket a couple of times, and those gaskets seem to retain water which leads to a very musty smell (mold will do that I'm told) and also the washer drum doesn't seem to fully drain.
Having the front loaders, with pedestals is nice - but in all honesty it is just more locations for her to store crap that I'm almost certain we don't need, but I could be wrong as I don't ever use any of 3 or 4 different stain pretreatments or other crap the fill the space available.
We have plenty of space for sorting and folding as these devices are located someplace that is very rare in Texas. It is called the basement, and it has some advantages, especially in winter (which can be a major disadvantage in itself)

For something upstairs you want something that doesn't vibrate too much. I had an old pos front loader that vibrated like crazy, I thought the house was going to fall apart. Replaced it with a Samsung that used to be very smooth and quiet but now needs to be rebalanced I guess

The fewer features and electronics the better.  It's just more shit that can break.  I also think you need a washer that has an agitator in it.  The just seem to do a better job of cleaning.  Not a fan of the ones that use almost no water.  I'd rather have cleaner clothes over saving a few cents on water use.

6 hours ago, Stunns38 said:

I’ve read that front load cleans better than top load but I can’t notice any difference.

Just visited my sister (no pics) for the holiday and she has the top of the line Samsung front load machine. Uses less water but she swears it doesn't clean as well as her old top loader. Plus instead of a buzzer at end of wash it plays some MIDI song from Donkey Kong. That's all I got.

i thought top load was basically dead.

conceptually top load doesnt even make sense anymore.  tumbling action is better obviously with front load.  i've never had one leak.  theres always a little bit of residue on the rubber seal of the door but you leave the door open after a wash and thats fine.

Seems like a major part of the decision how many loads of clothes you wash per week.  I think I average about 3.  Top loading washer works great for me and it's going on Year 13 now.  I had to replace one internal plastic part that sprang a leak about 3 years ago.  I think it cost me about $15 and an hour of my time.  

47 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

i thought top load was basically dead.

conceptually top load doesnt even make sense anymore.  tumbling action is better obviously with front load.  i've never had one leak.  theres always a little bit of residue on the rubber seal of the door but you leave the door open after a wash and thats fine.

Nope, still make them and they still have fewer problems.

On 9/10/2018 at 7:26 AM, Stunns38 said:

Hello fellas,

We’re researching new washers and dryers and have come upon tons of info. What’s your experience and/or recs on brands and your opinion on top load vs. front load? We’ve had front load for years and never had any issues but our W/D room will be upstairs(New house)and the wife is worried about possible leaks from the front load doors. Plus her mom highly recommends top load and she always listens to mom.

Thanks!

Why are you wasting your time figuring out what to get? It’s been decided. 

15 hours ago, luke duke said:

Why are you wasting your time figuring out what to get? It’s been decided. 

Lol, true. I guess I’m reduced to researching a top-load brand. I heard that LG and Samsung has a lot of electrical problems too. I’ll probably look into GE and Kenmore Elite.

Find yourself a good refurb business that sells reconditioned units. In 2004, I bought s whirlpool top loader and dryer. Paid 125.00 for the set. Wash got clean, no problems.Was still running until Harvey. Just bought a new set here in Houston, whirlpool again, paid 250.00 for the set. Works as good as the new ones.

2 minutes ago, Dances with Dachshunds said:

Find yourself a good refurb business that sells reconditioned units. In 2004, I bought s whirlpool top loader and dryer. Paid 125.00 for the set. Wash got clean, no problems.Was still running until Harvey. Just bought a new set here in Houston, whirlpool again, paid 250.00 for the set. Works as good as the new ones.

So yer the one killing the durable goods economy....

We have Samsung front loaders, probably middle-of-the-line ones. No issues with the front load mechanism or smells (we leave the door open all the time), but Samsung as a brand sucks ass. Cleans fine but they are maintenance nightmares. The dryer in particular has been nothing but trouble.

And whoever said that they play a song instead of just buzzing, yeah ours do that too. Who cares but it's kinda weird/funny. The song is about 5 times as long as it needs to be, it just keeps going and going.

We have the top end LG front loaders. I would go Speed Queen top load next. No real mechanical issues with the LG but with large loads, it’s not uncommon for some clothes to come out of the washer completely dry and dirty. Also, 90+ minute wash cycles are ridiculous. It may say 55 minutes but often the last 10 minutes on the clock take 20-30 minutes.

6 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

That's cool, robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Not robbing anybody. If the appliance manufacturers put out a better product, it wouldn't be an issue. They also are ignoring a good secondary revenue stream. If you work for a "durable goods" manufacturer, instead of whining about people like me that wont spend a lot of money to buy crappy products, maybe you should be bitching at your company for putting profits over quality goods at a fair price.

7 hours ago, Dances with Dachshunds said:

Im going to go check this out for front loaders. I likely have to buy the pedestals separately tho but those are a must with my tall ass

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Im going to go check this out for front loaders. I likely have to buy the pedestals separately tho but those are a must with my tall ass

A lot of the refurb guys have both top loaders and front loaders. Just do your research. Some are more reputable than others. If you want the number of the guy I used, PM me.

Not robbing anybody. If the appliance manufacturers put out a better product, it wouldn't be an issue. They also are ignoring a good secondary revenue stream. If you work for a "durable goods" manufacturer, instead of whining about people like me that wont spend a lot of money to buy crappy products, maybe you should be bitching at your company for putting profits over quality goods at a fair price.
I assume his comment was in jest. If not, well, not even sure what to say.

1 minute ago, Dances with Dachshunds said:

A lot of the refurb guys have both top loaders and front loaders. Just do your research. Some are more reputable than others. If you want the number of the guy I used, PM me.

Well I likely live 6 states away but I saw on Facetron the other day about a place in town that has these kinds of good deals on washer dryer sets

19 minutes ago, Dances with Dachshunds said:

No, don't work for Maytag.  Check yer sarcasm meter, it needs some calibration.  I was just kidding with you about buying the second hand stuff 2x. Our dryer is a local  e bay purchase.  Stop sniffing the dryer sheets, they make some people paranoid.