Washer/Dryer recs. Top load washer vs front load?

Stunns38

We've had our LG front-load washer and dryer for 10+ years.  Never had any issues until last weekend, the dryer started making a God-awful noise.  One of the drum support rollers seized up, I ordered a new set of them on Amazon for $60, replaced them in a couple of hours.  Probably could have gotten away with just replacing one of them for $15, but went ahead and replaced all since I had it cracked open.  Running like a champ again.

tl, dr;  No idea the best brand/type to buy today, but except for a recent minor repair we've been pleased with our 10 year old LGs.

• 1 year later...

I did this homework project last year and came to the conclusion that I needed a Speed Queen TC5000WN. Then I never pulled the trigger. Look into that one and see if they made any updates/improvements for the 2020 models.

Edit: please post your findings.

Edited by Bill Clay

bump after 18 months anyone with new opinions please....
looking for a top-load, made in the USA, no fancy electronics, just knobs, settings and cycles.

Bought a Maytag top loader and dryer from Lowe’s about 6 months ago. Both the wash and dry cycles take about half the time of our old LG front loaders. Clothes are also much cleaner now. Didn’t realize what a poor job the front load washer did until we switched.

5 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Bought a Maytag top loader and dryer from Lowe’s about 6 months ago. Both the wash and dry cycles take about half the time of our old LG front loaders. Clothes are also much cleaner now. Didn’t realize what a poor job the front load washer did until we switched.

We had a similar experience.  Top loaders all the way!

Best purchase I made at my old house was a refurb top loader with big ass agitator from one of those rundown warehouses. Cost $150 roughly, ran like a champ, no electronic pads/buttons, 2 month warranty included. This was after my shitbox Samsung crapped out despite being a few yrs old. Sounds even worse when I point out the prior Samsung owner/user was a young married couple without kids and then just me.

Hello fellas,

We’re researching new washers and dryers and have come upon tons of info. What’s your experience and/or recs on brands and your opinion on top load vs. front load? We’ve had front load for years and never had any issues but our W/D room will be upstairs(New house)and the wife is worried about possible leaks from the front load doors. Plus her mom highly recommends top load and she always listens to mom.

Thanks!

Ended up getting the LG middle of the range front load washer and dryer. So far, no major issues 16 months later(jinx) but it doesn’t seem to clean well on big loads. I don’t use 80% of the features though.

16 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Just replaced my 4 year old Matag washing machine. It was a lemon from day one. Still using the dryer but it will not always get everything completely dry with 1 cycle 

I don't think any brand W/D out there can compete with a 1980s model.

Just my thought 

The level of automation and electronics the new models use is crazy. I want knobs to manually control water level, temperature, spin speeds, etc. I'm still using an old top-loading Kenmore from 2002 that was under $400 new. I hope it never dies.

The level of automation and electronics the new models use is crazy. I want knobs to manually control water level, temperature, spin speeds, etc. I'm still using an old top-loading Kenmore from 2002 that was under $400 new. I hope it never dies.

I had a basic Whirlpool from 2006 that was awesome until it died last year. Using a hand me down now because I couldn't pull the trigger on any of the new pieces of shit. I'll get a SpeedQueen when the time comes, but even those aren't what they used to be.

23 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Amazing what an agitator can do.

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

Hot Point still makes plain top loaders.  I have a set and they have been going strong for 7 years and they were used when I got them.

I have a Hot Point washer dryer set I paid $500 for. They do the job and 5 years later, still going strong. 

Had a Maytag( first generation) front loader 14 years.  Loved being able to kneel down and swap clothes from washer to dryer at same level.  Didn't like water ALWAYS being in machine in the Houston area humidity and funk.  It finally died about 3 months ago.

Bought top load GE without any major bells and whistles.  I agree with many on here that the mofo just needs to work, not play the fiddle while it's washing.) I like it, but wholee fock it is hard on my back to bend over to reach all the way in to get that last sock or washcloth.  I miss the front loader for that aspect only.

In the end, I just want it to work.   It is sufficient.

Had a Maytag( first generation) front loader 14 years.  Loved being able to kneel down and swap clothes from washer to dryer at same level.  Didn't like water ALWAYS being in machine in the Houston area humidity and funk.  It finally died about 3 months ago.
Bought top load GE without any major bells and whistles.  I agree with many on here that the mofo just needs to work, not play the fiddle while it's washing.) I like it, but wholee fock it is hard on my back to bend over to reach all the way in to get that last sock or washcloth.  I miss the front loader for that aspect only.
In the end, I just want it to work.   It is sufficient.

Short people problems

8 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Short people problems

I'm 6'2" and plenty of reach   LOLz.  It's a long way to the bottom of that tub.  i didn't say I couldn't reach it.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1

On 4/5/2020 at 7:48 PM, CooterBrown said:

My Samsung dryer we had for only five years crapped out on us again, so I said to heck  with it and bought a Maytag dryer which is pretty much an old school dryer.  Wish I would have done this five years ago and not been drawn by all the special features the Samsung had which we hardly used anyway.  Jeans and towels actually get dry quicker and without  a second cycle unlike with the Samsung which took its time.   And it doesn't produce as much lint for some reason ( I hope that is good).   Will do the same when the matching washer goes out eventually.   This is the same washer which was recalled due to the lid flying off during certain  spin cycles like for bedding.  Samsung/Home Depot did the recall service and extended the warranty, but I don't dare use the heavy duty spin cycle.  

Samsung might make good TV's and Phones.  Washers and dryers... not so much.   

1 hour ago, Deej said:

I wonder, with a lot of washers being closed up in smaller laundry rooms and non-climate controlled garages, if the amount of humidity generated doesn't do damage to the circuit boards in the high-end stuff? 

It's possible.   With all the senors in the higher end models to detect when clothes are dry and how much water a load actually needs,  they might be susceptible to what you suggest.  It's a royal pain in the ass to get one fixed too.   Service comes out and looks at it and then has to order the part which takes a few days and then you have to reschedule a service call for them to fix it.  

My Samsung dryer we had for only five years crapped out on us again, so I said to heck  with it and bought a Maytag dryer which is pretty much an old school dryer.  Wish I would have done this five years ago and not been drawn by all the special features the Samsung had which we hardly used anyway.  Jeans and towels actually get dry quicker and without  a second cycle unlike with the Samsung which took its time.   And it doesn't produce as much lint for some reason ( I hope that is good).   Will do the same when the matching washer goes out eventually.   This is the same washer which was recalled due to the lid flying off during certain  spin cycles like for bedding.  Samsung/Home Depot did the recall service and extended the warranty, but I don't dare use the heavy duty spin cycle.  
Samsung might make good TV's and Phones.  Washers and dryers... not so much.   

Este on the lid busting. Eventually the whole damn tub busted loose, total pain in the ass at every level dealing with the warranty/recall too. F that pos brand