USA/Canada/Mexico World Cup 2026 Bid Thread

ATLLonghorn

The bid books have been released by FIFA and can be read here: http://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/news/y=2018/m=3/news=2026-fifa-world-cup-bid-books-now-available.html

It's long as hell so I'm not planning on reading it, but the two big things to glean from it according to a writer from the Sports Business Journal are that it would have three concurrent kickoff matches to start the tournament with the main match in Los Angeles or Mexico City and the proposed sites are Arlington and Atlanta for the Semifinals and New York/New Jersey for the Final.

It looks like it would be the African and Asian countries voting against us because of Trump (no cloakroom) and his comments and policies.  The new setup to prevent corruption gives all countries 1 vote instead of the panel of 20 or whatever.

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

I get that JerryWorld has to be the choice for DFW but I wish the Cotton Bowl would get it given its history as a World Cup 94 site. Plus, JerryWorld just plain sucks. 

The legitimate downside to the Cotton Bowl was that it was as hot as ever living fuck  during the games there in 94.  

1 hour ago, ATLLonghorn said:

There will possibly be a small number of votes for Morocco because of Trump, but if Morocco gets it it will be because of FIFA's corruption.

Which is why Blatter recently said it should go to Morocco and that its Africa's turn to host again.

3 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Which is why Blatter recently said it should go to Morocco and that its Africa's turn to host again.

1994 vs 2010??  lol.

Or is this shitbag trying to claim that Brazil hosting is the same as the US/Mex, thus the need for more time between?

53 minutes ago, Ldogg53 said:

1994 vs 2010??  lol.

Or is this shitbag trying to claim that Brazil hosting is the same as the US/Mex, thus the need for more time between?

Probably this.

What should happen is the US get this bid and for the 100th Anniversary Uruguay and Argentina should get it, but it will most likely go back to South Korea again.

FIFA is just a corrupt piece of shit organization.

I wish the Federations would break off and do their own thing again. Some folks want every 2 years, but every 4 years works. Just break off form FIFA. 

1 hour ago, Escapedgoat said:

Probably this.

What should happen is the US get this bid and for the 100th Anniversary Uruguay and Argentina should get it, but it will most likely go back to South Korea again.

I wish the Federations would break off and do their own thing again. Some folks want every 2 years, but every 4 years works. Just break off form FIFA. 

It should never be every two years, thats why we have the Copa and Euro's and the federations actually make money that way.

1 hour ago, Escapedgoat said:

Probably this.

Argentina doesn't have the stadiums to comply with FIFA requirements for the cup.  There would have to be substantial retro-fitting of current stadiums, and building some new ones, to work and the country is broke.  It's not impossible as they'd do whatever possible to raise the $$, but it's a big stretch right now.

15 hours ago, Ldogg53 said:

Argentina doesn't have the stadiums to comply with FIFA requirements for the cup.  There would have to be substantial retro-fitting of current stadiums, and building some new ones, to work and the country is broke.  It's not impossible as they'd do whatever possible to raise the $$, but it's a big stretch right now.

That sucks. Uruguay probably would not be able to handle much either, being a smaller country. Oh well. 

I'd love the 100th anniversary to be where it began and not some shit hole in China or wherever FIFA will put it.

On 3/26/2018 at 9:36 AM, mdmost said:

I get that JerryWorld has to be the choice for DFW but I wish the Cotton Bowl would get it given its history as a World Cup 94 site. Plus, JerryWorld just plain sucks. 

Only World Cup game I ever attended was at the Cotton Bowl, Argentina v Bulgaria. The color at the start of the game with all the flags and confeti was just amazing. The Cotton Bowl was just a different place. I have been to many Texas v OU Sux games but the WC game ambiance may have been the only thing to come close or surpass the intensity of a Texas v Oklahoma game right at the start.

Aside from highlight of Argentina losing we got to experience a soccer melee.  We ended up seating behind the Argentina "Porra" in the end zone and some drunk Mexican guy wearing a sombrero was flipping about 50 Argentinians off right after they lost. He took out about the first 4 but then went down and the cops had to come in to stop it. They do not do it quickly. They first surrounded the ball of humanity, lock arms and then take out their batons.  Do know what happened next because we got out of there before the additional pounding and arresting started.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/round=337/match=3084/index.html

I was just starting at UT when the World Cup was in Dallas. Not getting to attend a match here is one regret I have. I would've loved to have been at the Germany/South Korea 3-2 match.  I was hoping to get a chance to make good on that missed opportunity. Not sure I want to go to a game at shitty JerryWorld. 

5 hours ago, mdmost said:

I was just starting at UT when the World Cup was in Dallas. Not getting to attend a match here is one regret I have. I would've loved to have been at the Germany/South Korea 3-2 match.  I was hoping to get a chance to make good on that missed opportunity. Not sure I want to go to a game at shitty JerryWorld. 

Even worse.  I was home for the summer from UT.  I didn't even think to attend a game as back then I didn't really care about or know much about soccer.  I do recall watching a couple of games - literally - 2 miles away from the Cotton Bowl at a sports bar.  Today, I'd attend absolutely any World Cup local matchup.

At least there is no issue in Morocco of stadiums like Qatar.  Oh wait, looks like they will need to build infrastructure as well and there seems to be some issue with the bidding process on one of their proposed stadiums. Translated with google.

http://telquel.ma/2017/04/11/polemique-autour-construction-du-grand-stade-doujda_15419

The call for tenders launched to build the big stadium of Oujda is at the heart of a controversy. While the winner has been appointed, architects denounce an " incompetent " jury and request a review of the records.

The large stadium will be built seven kilometers from the city of Oujda. With a capacity of more than 45,000 seats, the project aims to host international matches, and could even be selected among the sites listed in Morocco's application for the World in 2026. For its realization, the cabinet The Benhammou brothers' local architects were nominated by the Oriental region after a national public tender launched in May 2016.

This decision is challenged by other architects who were in the running. " The laureate was already chosen in advance and the jury is incompetent, " denounces Mourad Benmansour, architect of the group of French and Moroccan firms Nook and Beta. " I sent a letter last week to His Majesty, " he warns.

A jury criticized

" We found that the members of the jury are civil servants of the region without any capacity of technical judgment for a project of this scale ", continues our interlocutor. A criticism shared by another candidate who preferred to remain anonymous. " The administrative architects make the correction of subdivision projects that are similar, they can not apprehend a project approved FIFA stadium ," he said. " In addition, there is no expert on FIFA standards, no fireman for fire and safety aspects, no one who understands how stadiums work in terms of vehicle flow management, and no expert on the environment.", says Mourad Benmansour.However, the presence of these experts, engineers or control offices is not mandatory and does not appear anywhere in the regulation.

" The jury has sought advice from a technical commission composed of experts and engineers, " replies Mohammed Berhili, one of the jury members, who is also an official architect representing the Oujda Urban Agency. According to another member of the jury, eleven persons delegated by the Ministry of Equipment and having judged the last stadium in Tetouan examined only five of the seventeen projects that were submitted. " The Oriental region did not allow them to review all the projects, but only a preselection, " says Mourad Benmansour.

In total, 17 groups of firms submitted their projects to the jury in July 2016. The stage to be built has a budget of 500 million dirhams, revised to 800 million dirhams according to documents provided to Telquel.ma by Mourad Benmansour . According to the specifications, the future enclosure is intended to comply with FIFA standards.

An architecture firm that does not have shoulders?

In February 2017, the group of firms of Mourad Benmansour receives a letter specifying that their project was not retained. The firm of architects Benhammou, based in Oujda, won the tender. " As a jury, we were surprised to see someone from the region having the first prize", confirms Mohamed Berhili, member of the jury. "He deserved it, and in all areas, be it functionality, architectural quality, creativity, or safety, it's a project that stands out for its design and the ideas itincorporates." he justifies himself, convinced.

The details of the project are not yet public. Contacted by Telquel.ma, the architectural firm Benhammou did not want to answer our questions without having received the official document from the Oriental region confirming his appointment.

" This small cabinet is composed of only two architects, as well as five or six designers.It is impossible to achieve such a project with such a small number, " Mourad Benmansour fumed. One of the members of the jury tells us, however, that the size of the firm has nothing to do with the quality of their performance.

" The winning project is an excellent project, it fulfills all the conditions, but I would have liked him to quote the agency with which he collaborated, " says our anonymous architect, suspecting the firm Benhammou to have taken advice from a foreign cabinet without naming it. " The problem is that they will only be architects signatories of a project, but they will not master all aspects of the project, such as design and financing," warns the Moroccan architect . According to him, many local firms use the advice of international firms in an unofficial way, a practice " unethical ""of the architectural profession according to Mourad Benmansour, whose grouping of firms is officially composed of French and Moroccan architects.It was also the case of the firm Sâd Benkirane who collaborated openly with Gregotti Associati International in the construction of stadiums. Marrakech, Agadir and Casablanca.

And of course the current crop of stadiums is rather pitiful.

https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2017/08/226720/9-stadiums-confirmed-moroccos-2026-world-cup-candidacy-amid-doubts-infrastructure-capabilities/

Doubt about Morocco’s stadiums

While nine Moroccan stadiums have been confirmed, the 2026 Cup will be the first with an expanded 48-team tournament, up from the current 32 teams, which will require the host countries to stretch their infrastructure to the maximum.

“The number of stadiums mentioned above remains insufficient for Morocco in its race to win the right to host the 2026 World Cup, compared with other countries,” Ayoub Rafik, a journalist specializing in sports, told Morocco World News.

Rafik pointed out that the powerful joint candidacy of United States, Canada and Mexico has listed a total of 49 stadiums which are currently ready and respect the FIFA’s criteria for hosting games at the 2026 World Cup.

He added that “Morocco, however, still has chance to win the race if the country elaborates and works on its image through marketing, as it enjoys a geo-strategic position as a gateway to Europe, besides other factors such as its time zone.”

“Morocco should convince the voters through marketing strategies,” stressed Rafik.

However, he speculated that, in case Morocco’s request to host the Cup is rejected, the authorities will likely neglect the construction of the previous stadiums’ projects, giving the example of stadiums planned for Morocco’s previous candidacies in 2006 and 2010, which were not executed.

Going to suck when we lose the bid again to a piece of shit country.

• 4 weeks later...

sunday july 3, 1994, saudi arabia v sweden at the cotton bowl.  90 degrees at noon kickoff getting to 94 by the end of the game.  there was no shelter from the sun.  it was unbearably hot on those bleachers.  and the game wasn't interesting despite 4 goals.

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

sunday july 3, 1994, saudi arabia v sweden at the cotton bowl.  90 degrees at noon kickoff getting to 94 by the end of the game.  there was no shelter from the sun.  it was unbearably hot on those bleachers.  and the game wasn't interesting despite 4 goals.

I was at this game as an 11-year-old. My dad spent probably $40 on a Saudi Arabia hat because he liked the color green. Pre-9/11 obviously.

1 hour ago, chainsaw said:

Oppressive heat? Advantage Saudis.  Big disadvantage Swedes.

sweden won 3-1

5 minutes ago, WashHorn said:

I was at this game as an 11-year-old. My dad spent probably $40 on a Saudi Arabia hat because he liked the color green. Pre-9/11 obviously.

i was 11 too.  

58 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

WTF?  If South America counts for North America, than Europe counts for Africa.

In some countries, "America" is taught as only one continent. 

Eurasia is also taught as one continent in others, but fewer than a single America.

That being said, Morocco should incorporate Algiers & Southern Spain in their bid. They're much closer than New York is to LA, much less Mexico City to Toronto.

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Christ. What should have been a slam dunk, we're totally going to lose. 

http://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states/story/3478721/trump-asks-african-nations-to-support-us-led-world-cup-bid

2 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Nothing is a slam dunk when fifa is involved. 

South Africa

Brazil

Russia

Qatar

follow the dirty money. 

Why would any country from Latin America or Africa support a Mex-USA-Can bid?

Why would any Muslim country?

Why would any European country? - When the exposure could finally truly awake the sleeping giant AND Morroco is Southern Spain and all of the matches would be on at normal times of the day.

Morocco should win this going away even if UEFA has to help foot the bill for the stadiums.

• 4 weeks later...

Morroco bitching.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44224182

The Moroccan Football Federation has written to Fifa to complain about US territories being allowed to vote to decide the 2026 World Cup hosts.

Morocco are bidding to host the tournament, against a joint proposal from the USA, Mexico and Canada.

Guam, American Samoa, the US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico are able to vote on 13 June, but Morocco claim that is a conflict of interests.

• 3 weeks later...