A hand for Hand

bschoolprof

I had an opportunity to attend a team meeting with a speaker who was addressing the team.  It was after Hand was hired.  I was standing on the field watching the workouts minding my own business when Coach Hand walked right up to me and introduced himself.  We spoke for ten minutes or so.  Really nice guy and I was struck with how personable he was to a total nobody.  He had no reason to approach me other than he is just a really nice guy. I have been pulling for him since then and I am glad that he was able to make such a good impact.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CTC2 said:

I had an opportunity to attend a team meeting with a speaker who was addressing the team.  It was after Hand was hired.  I was standing on the field watching the workouts minding my own business when Coach Hand walked right up to me and introduced himself.  We spoke for ten minutes or so.  Really nice guy and I was struck with how personable he was to a total nobody.  He had no reason to approach me other than he is just a really nice guy. I have been pulling for him since then and I am glad that he was able to make such a good impact.  

Have you always lacked self-esteem?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm convinced this hire might be the single most important thing to happen to Texas football in the last ten years. 

I'm pretty sure he had a lot to do with closing Anderson, and he had clearly locked down a position of dire need. 

On top of that, what was clear watching our offense yesterday:

1) on multiple critical downs, Sam had time to sit back and survey the field.  Teams are having to blitz to get consistent pressure, and that hasn't been the case for a long time.

2) we're getting a push, playing with an attitude.  We're not Studdard standard yet, but we look angry.  Aside from yesterday, especially in the fourth quarters we've been asserting our will and closing out games. 

Hats off to coach hand, and coach Herman for closing him.  Without the oline improvement I'm not sure Sam or our running game look as much improved as they do right now.  Amazing what a little space can do. 

Edited by Bill Lumbergh
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/17/2019 at 10:50 AM, Machinator said:

Good article on Herb Hand from the The Football Scoop

http://footballscoop.com/news/herb-hand-texas-offensive-line/

I liked this segment of the article:

— Hand talked a lot about identity. Texas is clear about its identity, which makes sense because the identity wasn’t clear until Hand showed up.

imgur

I love his description of balance, too. You're balanced if you:

1) Can run when you need to run.
2) Can run when you want to run.
3) Can pass when you need to pass.
4) Can pass when you want to pass.

That is such a refreshing take for a fan base used to "We'll take what the defense is giving us." Fuck that shit. Take what we want, let the defense nurse their bruises after we're done.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

The offense has to get its guys on the field first. The defense then sends out the players that they think can best deal with that offensive grouping.

What you have to avoid is a player that only does one thing. When that player or group comes on the field, you can't be telling the defensive coaches, "We're going to run THIS play.".

Just like playing poker, the defense is reading everything they can. Is the tackle's foot behind him too far? Is he tipping off a pass? Is the H-back so eager to block that he's rocked forward?

In addition to ensuring solid fundamentals like hand (!) placement, maintaining power through the ground by ALWAYS having your feet set as your base, and working as a unit to account for and pass off defenders as necessary, Hand is working to ensure power tosses look exactly like the deep strikes before the snap.

Of course, an OL coach likes nothing more than extending a hand engraved invitation to the opposing DC saying, "Dear Esteemed Colleague: We're running power over your left side. You are cordially invited to try and stop it!", and then just bashing the ball home!

• 4 weeks later...

gxATdXdS_normal.jpg   Herb Hand.   @CoachHand

I had the incredible opportunity/pleasure of working with HOF’er  @KevinMawae

during the 2010 season at Vanderbilt. He used to refer to the “Hacks” as CROWN MOLDING because it was the last addition to your house.  

Build your strong foundation first. #TechniquesOverTactics

Edited by LTtxfan

• 1 month later...

image.png 

Remember when Cosmi was around 260 on signing day just after he flipped from #Houston to #Texas. Then was around 295-300 and started 13 games at tackle last year as a RS freshman. Just another example of how evaluating HS offensive lineman is so tricky.
11:08 AM · Jul 20, 2019 · Twitter   
  • Like 1

Good talk earlier with @genedelledonne  The Butcher Burger at @saltandtime  is, quite possibly, THE best burger I’ve ever eaten - and, as shocking as it may sound, I’ve had my share of hamburgers. (Here’s a tip though, get the

🍔
AS IS on the menu, don’t add or subtract items.)

3:13 PM · Jul 29, 2019

Edited by LTtxfan

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

I know there's another o-line thread, but I like this one better. 

4 games in and our o-line looks legit.  This dude is earning every fucking cent of his paycheck.  

Hear, hear! Seems OK on the recruiting trail, as well. I think some on here were suspicious of his abilities in that area, but he seems to be  holding his own.

I know there's another o-line thread, but I like this one better. 
4 games in and our o-line looks legit.  This dude is earning every fucking cent of his paycheck.  
I rewatched the reverse flea flicker yesterday and thought "that's the kind of play Herman drew up his first season here that would drive us crazy when it got blown up immediately."

Granted, he should've known his oline sucked too much to run it back then, but it is amazing how much more you can get away with as a play caller if you're oline gives you time to operate.

16 hours ago, Sock Drawer said:

Hear, hear! Seems OK on the recruiting trail, as well. I think some on here were suspicious of his abilities in that area, but he seems to be  holding his own.

His 21' OL haul is going to be like the 18' DB haul, one of the best at a position we've ever seen.  Recruits love him.