A hand for Hand

bschoolprof

Perhaps somewhat lost in all the hate for Mensa Beck is that our Oline looks much better.  Make no mistake - this is because Warehime is no longer coaching them and Hand is.  Saw this on another site: we had some nifty little fold blocks from a bygone era against Tulsa.  This is a Herb Hand special, as Scipio alluded to earlier in the year.  To wit (Watch the RT/RG combo):

[âIMG]

Cosmi with a grown ass man block on the LB.  Kerstetter is able to use angles/leverage to his advantage, though he almost/maybe/probably holds.  

If Herman would have hired Hand-caliber assistants from the get go, we might not be in this mess.  Let's see how the Oline looks against better competition, but at least we are seeing some running plays that schematically show some progress.  

• Like 5

Seems like better pass protection. Still seems like there are too many plays where the RB is stuggling to get back to the line but overall OL looks improved. If there is a reason to think we could get better on offense this is it. Also suggests that OL play won’t be such a liability if Shane Needs to play. 

Edited by Lhorn

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Speaking of which.  Is he hurt or something?  Can't fathom why he's not seen the field even once unless he's just a bigger ball of suck than potato.

Herman has been criticized for having trouble making big decisions, like who our starting qb should be last year.

It appears his response to this criticism is to make a decision and stand by it, even in the face of overwhelming evidence that he should explore other options. 

Either that, or Shane really is awful, because it's hard to explain not giving him a shot after Sam yielded zero points and a turnover vs Tulsa in the third. 

Just now, Bill Lumbergh said:

Herman has been criticized for having trouble making big decisions, like who our starting qb should be last year.

It appears his response to this criticism is to make a decision and stand by it, even in the face of overwhelming evidence that he should explore other options. 

Either that, or Shane really is awful, because it's hard to explain not giving him a shot after Sam yielded zero points and a turnover vs Tulsa in the third. 

#Mensa

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Speaking of which.  Is he hurt or something?  Can't fathom why he's not seen the field even once unless he's just a bigger ball of suck than potato.

Have no idea.  If Tulsa wasn't such a struggle that would have been a great place to give him a quarter and a half to play.  If the OL is pass protecting better and if OC doesn't want Sam running, then Shane is prob the better option or at least deserves a shot.  I think he at least has a lower chance of hitting a LB between the numbers down by 4 with the ball on their side of the field.  

I think we have had some serviceable QBs.  Just not superheroes.  Our inadequacies at OL and OC have certainly hurt the production of our QBs.    I am not saying they were all adequate, but some of them never stood a chance by being round pegs forced into square holes.  The whole team having to learn new schemes and systems every other year leads to poor blocking, poor communication and timing.  Chemistry never gels.  Add in the piss poor coaching and you have the recipe for crappy play. 

46 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

David Ash was a fine college QB.

And both Ehlinger and Buechele would be perfectly adequate if utilized properly.

agree. our real troubles were the complete disaster of OL recruiting for 10 solid years.

QB troubles in order

1. Gilbert(mainly the decision not to take another QB in the following class) - if you have to promise a kid or his dad that maybe he's not your guy

2. Ash concussions

3. Tyrone Swoopes v. probably 5 or 6 other Texas HS QB's in his class

honorable mention - complete failure to even try to develop Heard or adapt an offense around him

Hopefully Hand can really turn around the OL

Edited by dcar00

I've seen a big difference between the OL this year and the last 2-3 years.  I don't remember the last time our QB had 2-3 seconds to sit back in the pocket and throw and we've done that 2 games in a row.  Our run blocking is still avg which is better than last year.  You can clearly see how much better players are when they have a REAL coach.  Warhime is a fucking fraud and you've seen it first hand.  Now maybe if we could get a real WR coach and a real TE coach, this offense might actually be clicking.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Assuming Shane plans to grad-transfer - it is to his benefit to RS this season.  Is it possible there is a gentlemen's agreement between Herman/Shane that (now that Shane lost out on the starting job) he'll only play if there is an injury?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Assuming Shane plans to grad-transfer - it is to his benefit to RS this season.  Is it possible there is a gentlemen's agreement between Herman/Shane that (now that Shane lost out on the starting job) he'll only play if there is an injury?

That's possible not sure the reason to keep it a secret though.

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Potato is made of glass.  Zero chance he doesn't get hurt this season.  Especially considering his primary value proposition was/is that he's a runner.  Except that we don't really run him.  Limiting a shitty thrower with the primary duties of throwing the ball....so there's that....#Mensa

I get the notion of squelching a QB controversy and having consistency at the most important position on the field.  I also see how ineffective  we've seen the QB play is this year and how what we are doing isn't working.  We have neither backs nor the line to impose our will on teams.  You have to draw pressure away from the line, and so far we've been unable to do this.  

17 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

I think he might be giving Sam some adversity to grow up against.  I'm not saying this is right, but I get the idea he justifies leaving him in there by leaning on the old "pull him too soon, you burn all his self confidence" reasoning.   But isn't that exactly what he did to Malik last year? 

being coached by Beck is some serious adversity to deal with 

19 hours ago, Lhorn said:

Still seems like there are too many plays where the RB is stuggling to get back to the line but overall OL looks improved

Yah, I've noticed that, but I also notice on a lot of those runs the delay to give the ball to the back seems to take longer than it should, then the back hesitates a lot longer than it should. But I haven't gone back and looked, just the live impression I've been getting. The amount of time it takes to get a play going sometimes if frustrating as F

I haven't noticed Vahe just fucking standing there waving his dick in the wind while the QB gets slaughtered.  That's a significant improvement IMO.

True. He's at least running around with his dick in the wind when he misses.

He's still missing pass pro blocks, but not terribly.

Yah, I've noticed that, but I also notice on a lot of those runs the delay to give the ball to the back seems to take longer than it should, then the back hesitates a lot longer than it should. But I haven't gone back and looked, just the live impression I've been getting. The amount of time it takes to get a play going sometimes if frustrating as F

It’s like they don’t know what the fuck they are trying to do.

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

we still don't run block worth a fucking shit, that's just a fact

Well the safeties are in box/ on the LOS and out WRs get one on one coverage most of the game daring us to beat them and we still are able to be effective running the ball. When we can make them pay for this the running game will explode. Until then it will be a dog fight for every yard

49 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

we still don't run block worth a fucking shit, that's just a fact

8 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

this year>>>>>>>last year

And yes we should still be improving during the year.

These are both true. TCU exposed a lot of room for improvement in terms of communication and handing off assignments when picking up blitzes and stunts. That is the kind of thing that can and will get better with reps. They are also probably the best front we will see all year, only OU can match them athletically and they are obviously very well coached. Run blocking is probably going to continue to be an issue. This group just does not get push consistently and because of that really struggles with executing combo blocks in the second level. That kind of raw physicality issue is not the short of thing that improves over the course of a season. The only thing that might help is benching Vahe because he really is a liability when zone blocking, but I do not think they will bench a four year starter at this point.