Are We The Most Hair-Trigger Fanbase In CFB?

MaybeACoordinator

2 hours ago, SpiralOut said:

We all gave Charlie a lot of rope.  And what did we get for that?  A couple of 5 win seasons and a loss to Kansas for the first time since the horse and carriage was still a thing.

We gave Mensa rope last year.  He didn't impress, but it was his first year, blah blah blah.  And what did we get for that?  Losing, again, to an even worse Maryland team dealing with all sorts of shit.  And Mensa seems to not give a fuck.  Then we barely beat Tulsa, only because their kicker is the worst guy at the position in college football.  And we're going to be lucky to win six games this year.

So no, I don't think we're on a hair-trigger or out of line.  We have the most money, some of the best facilities, and the top talent in one of the most talent rich regions of the country.  Yet we're in Year 2 of Mensa's tenure and we're struggling with fucking Tulsa and Maryland is beyond us. 

At least CS “fired” Watson after his shitshow first game of year two. Herman better get his shit on track fast. 

• Like 1

We told Strong to fire that shithead Watson after year one and he didn't listen. We told Herman to fire that shit fuck Beck after one year and he didn't listen, nor did he listen to this board when we told him to play Ingram in the second half against Maryland (if he doesn't check this board at half, that's his problem). In light of Herman's stubbornness and idiocy, we have fulfilled our psychic obligation to him.

We're tired of wet nursing these head coaches through their first two years. We expected Herman to hit the ground running - not crash into it.  We're running short on mercy around here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I think it depends on your definition of "bad loss." Nobody wrote CS off after one year, but we sure as hell did in Game 1 of year 2, just like we are doing with Herman. 

Yeah, a lot of us did write CS off after one year.   

Remember the Texas Bowl at the end of Strong first year?   We played the Razorbacks?   You'be probably blocked the memory of it.   Anyway, we really did have only  2 yards rushing and 59 yards total offense for the game.   The CS-has-got-to-go bandwagon was packed from that day til the final end.

Not at all. Take programs like bama and ohio st. and put those programs into our shoes and see how their fans are. Those shit stains would lose their fucking minds!

Any true blue blood fan base would react the same. Some might actually react worse.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

We're like 8 years into the wilderness.  How could any negative reaction possibly be "hair trigger" at this point?  Shit's more like loading an 18th century musket. 

Mandel acknowledged that, sort of, and went back to how hard we were on Mack even before the NC. I don't think he knows what it's like to lose to your archrival by about 11 TDs on a semi-yearly basis. John Cooper always lost to Michigan, but never 84-2 or whatever. 

1 hour ago, ButtFumble said:

Auburn

end of thread

This is probably the right answer. 

23 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Yeah, a lot of us did write CS off after one year.   

Remember the Texas Bowl at the end of Strong first year?   We played the Razorbacks?   You'be probably blocked the memory of it.   Anyway, we really did have only  2 yards rushing and 59 yards total offense for the game.   The CS-has-got-to-go bandwagon was packed from that day til the final end.

I did block it out, and I was known as a CS apologist on the old board, because I seemed to have shit going on the occasions of some of our worst debacles. I was at a party for that game and another one for the Halloween disaster in Ames, and there's a difference between thinking, "Jesus, what a terrible fucking performance" when you read about it the next day and being inflicted with that terrible performance for four hours in real time. 

• Fuck You 1

We're a blue blood and royalty  in college football, so fuck yeah we deserve better, and the criticisms are justified. Tim Beck? Do they really think one of the most inept offensive minds who knows dick about calling plays makes us happy? We have the athletes to compete, so yeah, we deserve better. Fuck those who think otherwise. Several other coaches have managed to shit the bed in season 1 only to turn it around in year 2. Saban, Frost, Malzahn, Urban Meyer, Pete Carroll, and the list goes on. Herman doesn't realize he's a dumbass who thinks he can change Beck from a mediocre OC to a respectable one. Obviously that's not going to happen when you have to take over play calling due to his ineptitude. It's like Herman lauded himself Mensa, but comes across as a dipshit who's digging his own have because of his stubbornness. He's losing recruits to aggy, who we all know is basically a glorified NAIA team who never does anything with his talent. Winston? Fine. He's their Vince Young. Before and after he just flat out got gang raped by other schools with equal talent. Herman needs to understand that in order to win you can't lose out to aggy for the inbred and sister fucking college for hillbillies. /rant over 

you can also toss Tennessee and USC in there as at least equally as reactionary as Texas if not worse especially for Tennessee and you have to look at Kiffin and USC and remember he actually WON GAMES there and was on triple overt probation and was still winning until the lack of depth and ability to red shirt caught up to him and they fired him in the early part of the season.....and Helton is probably gone sooner than later (like this year)

and Miami makes a strong case with Coker alone the guy won a national championship his first year and followed it up with #2 and #5 finishes and then two 9-3 seasons (one finishing #11) and then 7-6 and was gone......I don't think there is a chance in hell that Texas would let him go with that body of work and you can talk about Mack and 2009 to 2013, but Mack fell off a cliff in 2010 and then it was clear he was not going to turn things around in a meaningful way and was no longer hungry and thought that Texas should accept a long run of 8-5 and 9-4 seasons because of 2005 to 2009

either way Coker got a WAY shorter string and Randy Shannon only stayed 4 years because he had a 9 win season in year 3 of Charlie had done that he would still be here or he would have gotten a 4th year at least and same with Al Golden he had a 9 win season in year 3 and had improved from year 1 to year 2 (if only slightly) plus they were on double secret prbation his first two years Texas does not have that issue

SM can gargle my balls.  Everyone knew Fat Mack was done.  At the end of his tenure, the only ones I knew still defending him subscribed to the sunk cost fallacy that we'd already invested so much time/money into him and we needed to see it through.

Then we rightly shit the bed trying to find the next coach.  We had Saban on the line and let him slip, settled for Charlie and suffered through a lovely cocktail of some of the worst offenses AND defenses the school has ever had.  Then we cut ties, hired a young up-and-coming legacy coach and we see the SAME SHIT.

Their first two seasons mirror each other outside of the bowl game.  Now in year two, expectations are high that for $5M/yr the coach would implement changes.  Nope.  Same shit.  So yeah, we're pissed.  MD was 2-22 vs. ranked teams going back to 2011.  Take a wild fucking guess who the 2 are?  How does a team that went 3-9 the previous year with NO coach still beat us.  JFC!  And it's not like we're going down swinging with young, scrappy talent.  No, we just lumber out there running the same shit we always have.  We have got to the be the easiest team for a DC to scheme against in the country.

I just negged the OP repeatedly because a) he has thread vomit and seems to think we all need to read every thought coming out of his tiny little head and b) this kind of whiny, myopic, “maybe it’s us?” fucking dickless bullshit makes me sick. Go fuck yourself with this kind of entitled, millennial whiny shit. I hate elements of our fan base, starting with rubes like you. 

• Like 1

If he really said he thought Mack would've been fired around 2005 if he didn't land Vince is an amazing statement of bullshit. For one, no, it's highly unlikely they would have. The donors loved Mack. Mack would've been given significantly more rope than that. Secondly it's making a statement that's not rooted in any reality that you're using to support a thesis which is really dumb. There's no way to know what would've happened if Mack hadn't gotten Vince. It's making a blanket statement and supporting it with an iffy hypothetical.

It's best just to tune out the media types. I know you guys get a rage hard on every time anyone says anything bad about Texas but the reality is the college football media traffics in Texas' misery. They love cracking jokes and taking shots at the program when it shits the bed and then wonders why fans are so unhappy. It's all intellectual laziness on their part. It's low hanging fruit to rip on Texas when they're down and then easy to rip fans because we're incredibly loud and unhappy that we can't beat the 10th best team in the Big Ten and can barely beat Tulsa.

Living in SEC! SEC! SEC! country allows me to line up a number of fan bases ahead of ours, starting with a hard fought victory for LSU over Auburn, with Tennessee coming in right behind them.  Alabama fans are insufferable win or lose (I prefer the loser version though), and maybe shockingly to some, MSU is pretty hair trigger and ridiculous too.  They seem to think that Mullen sucked because he divorced them, and that they are much better off going forward with Moorehead.

If I remember correctly, we were going against ND for second all time in win totals a few years ago.  We have fallen to 5th during this decade of piss poor football and may end up out of the top ten soon because we are incapable of winning more games than we lose.  At the same time, teams like Ohio State, Alabama, Oklahoma and Penn State (and probably Nebraska soon) are showing that it is still possible to have double digit wins year after year.

Watching our storied history get set aflame by a bunch of incapable idiot coaches is intolerable.  Up until Charlie we had a total of 5 coaches over a 50 year span of football.  Hair trigger is not in our DNA, but identifying absolute shit football is.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Stewart Mandel said we were today on the latest edition of The Audible podcast. He believes that we are the quickest to turn on our coaches after any bad loss, and implied that we should have given Mack more credit other than just saying it was all about VY and Colt. Lol, it wasn't all about them, but I believe he would have been canned some time around 2005 if je didn't land VY...And he downplayed the BlowU games. How long would Auburn or Bama tolerate a coach who consistently lost to their arch-rivals by 40 or 50 points?

He also got intoxicated by the atmosphere at Pile. He said it was unlike anything he'd seen before, and said that aggy was the most optimistic fanbase in CFB. Which we have all known for many years, as we have exulted in their annual roller coaster rise of expectations and downfalls. 

Taste my sweaty bridge, Mandel.  

2 minutes ago, Scholz said:

He also got intoxicated by the atmosphere at Pile. He said it was unlike anything he'd seen before, and said that aggy was the most optimistic fanbase in CFB. Which we have all known for many years, as we have exulted in their annual roller coaster rise of expectations and downfalls. 

Is it safe to assume then he's never been to a night game in Death Valley?  The Swamp?  The Rose Bowl?  CFB is about match ups.  The #2 team in the country and a new head coach give you this.  It was a great game.  Play that game in Austin, at night, with a young team going toe-to-toe with a top team, you get that same intensity.  I've been to so many deafening games in Austin.  I'll never forget the euphoria of the VY comeback game vs. OSU.  It was electric.  Rewind a few years and the Ag's had a partially full stadium and endless gripes about how their atmosphere has been corrupted and homogenized.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I just negged the OP repeatedly because a) he has thread vomit and seems to think we all need to read every thought coming out of his tiny little head and b) this kind of whiny, myopic, “maybe it’s us?” fucking dickless bullshit makes me sick. Go fuck yourself with this kind of entitled, millennial whiny shit. I hate elements of our fan base, starting with rubes like you. 

A) Just checked page one of the football board; this is the only one I started. Hardly thread vomit. And I wear a size 8 hat. B) You, like so many other fans, are just shooting the messenger here. In the OP I partially discredited Mandel, who I generally tend to think of as a solid journalist with little to no bias against us, unlike his partner Bruce Feldman, who was so pro-USC in 2005 there were some of us who believed he was posting smack under a sock at Hornfans. (There was some Trojan on there who went on and on about he could see deep into VY's psyche and determined that VY was gonna press and lose the game. Didn't work out that way for him.)

In closing, getting negged by you is easy because you are a magnificent bastard, ctj.  

1 hour ago, ATLLonghorn said:

If he really said he thought Mack would've been fired around 2005 if he didn't land Vince is an amazing statement of bullshit. For one, no, it's highly unlikely they would have. The donors loved Mack. Mack would've been given significantly more rope than that. Secondly it's making a statement that's not rooted in any reality that you're using to support a thesis which is really dumb. There's no way to know what would've happened if Mack hadn't gotten Vince. It's making a blanket statement and supporting it with an iffy hypothetical.

It's best just to tune out the media types. I know you guys get a rage hard on every time anyone says anything bad about Texas but the reality is the college football media traffics in Texas' misery. They love cracking jokes and taking shots at the program when it shits the bed and then wonders why fans are so unhappy. It's all intellectual laziness on their part. It's low hanging fruit to rip on Texas when they're down and then easy to rip fans because we're incredibly loud and unhappy that we can't beat the 10th best team in the Big Ten and can barely beat Tulsa.

He more implied it, but imagine what would happen if we don't get VY and Stoops continues making us Ned Beatty in Deliverance for a few more years. It was already known at the time that Mack had a track record of ending up second fiddle in his conference, and I don't think the Jamails of the world would have settled for that forever and ever. 

25 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Assuming Herman is fired after year 3, 3 different coaches in 7 years looks awful.  From the inside the firings were justified, but it certainly shows how inept in hiring we are.  From the outside we are a joke.

Meh. Hardly unusual for other programs in our current condition.

27 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Assuming Herman is fired after year 3, 3 different coaches in 7 years looks awful.  From the inside the firings were justified, but it certainly shows how inept in hiring we are.  From the outside we are a joke.

We are basically the other UT.  Fired long time successful coach after he retired on the job.  

Strong is our Derek Dooley and I guess Herman is our Butch Jones? We need a Lane Kiffin.  

1 minute ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I suppose, is it?  I have no idea but it seems excessive to me.  I know I would for sure think program X was a joke under those circumstances.

I would hardly notice program X because they would not be relevant. Maybe I might think 'hey, whatever happened to program X? They used to be good.'

Anyway there is a context here. We have had lots of turnover at the AD position for reasons that have little to do with football.

5 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Because we are.  Get a bottle of your favorite booze in a plastic bottle, lock yourself in a dark room, and think about us hiring Gary Barnett.  It took a filibuster from DKR to get us Mack.  SO pre and post we reverted back to the shitstorm we all know and love.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

You're not wrong, but 5-7 to 7-5 as a perpetual realistic range also looks awful.  Once you have conviction that's where you're at with a coach, what other alternative do you have but to keep changing until you get it right? 

Reasonable people can disagree on how much time it takes to get "conviction.". Part of our problem is that we've picked up hot young names with low sample sizes as head coaches.

If you brought Chris Petersen in here and he struggled for 2+ years, I'm inclined to give him at least four bc he's a proven commodity for many years with different players at two programs. The guys we're snagging are higher risk given the lack of data on them, and that tends to make me more trigger happy about making a change when early signs are bad. 

Edited by Bill Lumbergh
  • Like 2

Mandel is a jackass.  The only team that has any kind of winning history that has had it worse than us is Tennessee.  USC, Michigan, and certainly Ohio State didn’t fall off as hard as we did.  Shit, Ohio State wasn’t even affected at all!  Florida should’ve gotten raked over the coals for firing McElwain after two years, but they got a pass because their coach likes to buttfuck sharks.  Fucking Miles didn’t deserve to be fired at LSU either but they got a pass too.  Our fucking coach loses to Kansas and we get called racist.  Fucking joke.

37 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

So you wouldn't notice a blue blood program that's rolling around in their own shit? 

Can you tell me which other blue blood programs are bad right now? Generally I worry about my school, not everybody else.

Edited by Valmy77

2 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Part of our problem is that we've picked up hot young names with low sample sizes as head coaches.

At least with Charlie, we settled on him because we struck out on the initial candidates.  I obviously wasn't in the room, but it seemed our value proposition of "because we're Texas" didn't carry the weight we thought it did.  It's a top destination, but so are a dozen other places.  We have to get this next one right.  It may be time for an Aggy-sized check to Dabo, or something equivalent.

15 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

Or Alabama. They've just had such a good run under Saban they haven't had anything to bitch about. They crucified just about every coach after Bear Bryant for not being Bear Bryant until Saban became a NC machine. 

This is the correct answer. When Alabama starts losing, the fans will be in full meltdown mode. Hell, Bill Curry went 10-2 & finished the season in the top 10 when he got fired.

People are people.  The fans at any school where athletics matter act the same way.  Some will say that we're the most this or the most that out of familiarity and will worry about national perception, but that's a fish bowl mentality that thinks everyone is looking at you.  They're not.  Every fan base is too busy buying their own bullshit of we're special because of X and our rival sucks because of Y, and thinking that on the whole they're really different in any way.  It's why I laugh at the self loathers who lament our fans on game day while extolling the virtues of UNL or SEC fans.  I can produce articles written by the papers for both schools decrying late showing crowds, quiet fans, fans who don't show for week opponents or who leave early, student section showing marginal interest in the game and so forth for UNL Alabama and on, and on.

You're not a special snow flake.  We're not a special fan base. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic