Tulsi Gabbard

bernorange

4 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

I think your analysis is 100% correct.

Is it brave or wise to vote for a process that will likely inflame the passions of Trump voters and, therefore, more likely lead to his reelection?  

She hates Trump with a passion. She is anti-war. She is very socially liberal.

It is a sure loss in the Senate - if Nancy even sends it to the Senate. I am glad it is over and we can move on to the election - the best shot at replacing Trump we have. 

But impeachment was important to Hilary wing of the Party, so that is done with only 2 voting against (1 of those becoming a Republican) and 1 abstaining because she favors impeachment through a more rigorous process. I hope it was cathartic for those who truly wanted and needed that symbolic act.

Time to stop infighting. Time to pick a candidate who can beat Trump. 

Literally none of these things are true.

• Like 3

I think your analysis is 100% correct.
Is it brave or wise to vote for a process that will likely inflame the passions of Trump voters and, therefore, more likely lead to his reelection?  
She hates Trump with a passion. She is anti-war. She is very socially liberal.
It is a sure loss in the Senate - if Nancy even sends it to the Senate. I am glad it is over and we can move on to the election - the best shot at replacing Trump we have. 
But impeachment was important to Hilary wing of the Party, so that is done with only 2 voting against (1 of those becoming a Republican) and 1 abstaining because she favors impeachment through a more rigorous process. I hope it was cathartic for those who truly wanted and needed that symbolic act.
Time to stop infighting. Time to pick a candidate who can beat Trump. 

You’re still living in the December 2016 reality.

Ya willing to loan out your time machine?
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

voting present sends no message, as you later note, except paralysis. congrats, you were present for the history making, but you took no hand in it. if she had a strong feeling one way or even the other, she should have voted one way or the other. even if she voted against, it would be courage. voting present is cowardice.

Is that what the Green New Deal vote was? Didn't they vote present?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Cites for your conclusions?  Thanks!

1. She interviewed for a job in the Trump administration

2. She's only anti-war in the sense that she doesn't want to send American soldiers to die in the middle east. She loves drone strikes and supports authoritarian violence against their own citizens.

3. She literally worked for an anti-gay group that supported a constitutional amendment prohibiting same-sex marriage and promoted conversion therapy. Before you come back with some stupid "but Obama and Hillary once opposed gay marriage" nonsense, there's a big difference between nominally opposing gay marriage out of political cowardice but not actually doing or supporting anything that actively hurts gay people, and literally working to promote conversion therapy. There's no reason to think she's actually changed her views.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

1. She interviewed for a job in the Trump administration

2. She's only anti-war in the sense that she doesn't want to send American soldiers to die in the middle east. She loves drone strikes and supports authoritarian violence against their own citizens.

3. She literally worked for an anti-gay group that supported a constitutional amendment prohibiting same-sex marriage and promoted conversion therapy. Before you come back with some stupid "but Obama and Hillary once opposed gay marriage" nonsense, there's a big difference between nominally opposing gay marriage out of political cowardice but not actually doing or supporting anything that actively hurts gay people, and literally working to promote conversion therapy. There's no reason to think she's actually changed her views.

1. Wrong - but you were fed fake news by CNN so it is understandable.

From 2016:

https://www.khon2.com/news/tulsi-gabbard-meets-with-president-elect-trump-but-not-for-administration-job/

Tulsi Gabbard meets with President-elect Trump, but not for administration job

"President-elect Trump asked me to meet with him about our current policies regarding Syria, our fight against terrorist groups like al-Qaeda and ISIS, as well as other foreign policy challenges we face. I felt it important to take the opportunity to meet with the President-elect now before the drumbeats of war that neocons have been beating drag us into an escalation of the war to overthrow the Syrian government—a war which has already cost hundreds of thousands of lives and forced millions of refugees to flee their homes in search of safety for themselves and their families.

While the rules of political expediency would say I should have refused to meet with President-elect Trump, I never have and never will play politics with American and Syrian lives.

Serving the people of Hawaiʻi and our nation is an honor and responsibility that I do not take lightly. Representing the aloha spirit and diversity of the people of Hawaiʻi, I will continue to seek common ground to deliver results that best serve all Americans, as I have tried to do during my time in Congress.

Where I disagree with President-elect Trump on issues, I will not hesitate to express that disagreement. However, I believe we can disagree, even strongly, but still come together on issues that matter to the American people and affect their daily lives. We cannot allow continued divisiveness to destroy our country.

President-elect Trump and I had a frank and positive conversation in which we discussed a variety of foreign policy issues in depth. I shared with him my grave concerns that escalating the war in Syria by implementing a so-called no fly/safe zone would be disastrous for the Syrian people, our country, and the world. It would lead to more death and suffering, exacerbate the refugee crisis, strengthen ISIS and al-Qaeda, and bring us into a direct conflict with Russia which could result in a nuclear war. We discussed my bill to end our country’s illegal war to overthrow the Syrian government, and the need to focus our precious resources on rebuilding our own country, and on defeating al-Qaeda, ISIS, and other terrorist groups who pose a threat to the American people.

For years, the issue of ending interventionist, regime change warfare has been one of my top priorities. This was the major reason I ran for Congress—I saw firsthand the cost of war, and the lives lost due to the interventionist warmongering policies our country has pursued for far too long.

Let me be clear, I will never allow partisanship to undermine our national security when the lives of countless people lay in the balance."

2. Wrong.

Tulsi Gabbard on Regime Change War 

Key Points

• Tulsi is the leading voice in Congress calling for an end America's interventionist wars of regime change that have cost our nation trillions of dollars and thousands of lives, simultaneously creating more devastation, human suffering and refugees in the countries where U.S. regime change war is waged.  

• As an Iraq war veteran and a Major in the Army National Guard, Tulsi knows the true cost of war.

• The result of interventions like Iraq and Libya only propagated more human suffering several times over, resulting in a failed state in Libya and creating a haven for terrorists seeking to establish a caliphate based on their exclusivist ideology.

• United States' history of interventions impedes our ability to form relationships with countries that are skeptical of our intentions. Countries like North Korea or Iran believe their nuclear weapons are the only thing defending them from invasion.

• Tulsi believes the United States would be far better off spending the trillions of dollars wasted in interventionist wars on more pressing domestic issues in America, like infrastructure, college debt, healthcare, etc.

• Research shows the vast majority of Americans agree with Tulsi in her opposition to regime change war: “71 percent of Americans believed Congress should pass legislation that restrained military action. The survey shows that 86.4 percent believe the military should be used only as a last resort. Additionally, 63.9 percent of those polled felt that military aid, both money and weapons, should not be provided to regimes like Saudi Arabia—the West’s top ally in the Arab world.” https://nationalinterest.org/feature/foreign-policy-populism-the-final-frontier-24248 

• Tulsi stands against torture: "I strongly oppose the use of torture and 'enhanced interrogations'. In 2015, I voted for H.R. 1735, including the amendment to the 2016 NDAA, codifying President Obama’s executive order banning enhanced interrogation/torture methods. This ban solidified our commitment to United States law and international agreements."

Legislation

• H.R. 608 Stop Arming Terrorists Act- Legislation that serves to galvanize the anti-war movement and the opposition to regime change policies that characterize our present foreign policy

• H.Amdt.636 to H.R.5515: This amendment to bill H.R.5515 removes the clause which allows the US military to go to war without Congressional approval and only provide an after-the-fact report on the operation.

• H.R. 4108 - To prohibit the use of funds for the provision of assistance to Syrian opposition groups and individuals: This bill would prohibit the US from continuing to provide support in any form to any group involved in the overthrow of the Syrian government.

• H.R. 1735 - Including the amendment, Section 1045, Limitations on Interrogation Techniques, banning torture and "enhanced interrogations" 

• H.R.1004 — To prohibit the introduction of United States Armed Forces into hostilities with respect to Venezuela, and for other purposes.

Tulsi’s Statements/Video

3rd Party Links

3. Wrong and she publicly apologized for her past views.

Tulsi Gabbard on LGBTQ+

Key Points

• Tulsi recently released a video affirming her deep commitment to fighting for equality and protecting for our LGBTQ community https://youtu.be/eLb3KVBErig
  • Tulsi is a vocal advocate of equality for our LGBTQ+ community
  • She is a member of the LGBT Equality Caucus in the House
  • Tulsi has been given a 100% for her voting record and endorsed by the Human Rights Campaign, the largest LGBT lobby organization in the country
  • "With the many challenges facing the LGBT community, we're honored to count Tulsi as an ally in standing up for issues of fairness. From her cosponsorship of the Equality Act to supporting marriage equality for same-sex couples and fighting for persons with HIV/AIDS, we applaud Tulsi's commitment to fundamental equal rights for all." - Mike Mings, Director Human Rights Campaign PAC
  • The Human Rights Campaign represents a force of more than 1.5 million members and supporters nationwide. As the largest national lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer civil rights organization, HRC envisions a world where LGBTQ people are ensured of their basic equal rights, and can be open, honest and safe at home, at work and in the community.
  • Tulsi believes that “equal treatment and opportunity are fundamental rights for all Americans. Discrimination on the basis of national origin, sexual orientation, disability, religious belief, gender, or race undermines core American principles of respect and individual freedom.”
  • Tulsi is committed to fight to ensure all individuals are treated equally under the law regardless of race, sex, religion, age, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
  • Tulsi has received a 100% rating for her voting record in favor of LGBT legislation.

Legislation

• H.R.5 Equality Act of 2019 To prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex, gender identity, and sexual orientation, and for other purposes
  • H.R.1244 To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to clarify that all provisions shall apply to legally married same-sex couples in the same manner as other married couples, and for other purposes.
  • H.R 2532 Respect for Marriage Act
  • H.R.2119 Therapeutic Fraud Prevention Act of 2017, To prohibit, as an unfair or deceptive act or practice, commercial sexual orientation conversion therapy
  • H.Res.124  Expressing opposition to banning service in the Armed Forces by openly transgender individuals.
  • H.R. 1755 Employment Non-Discrimination Act
  • H.R. 2839 Restore Honor to Service Members Act
  • H.R. 197 Repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act
  • H.R. 683 Military Spouses Equal Treatment Act
  • H.R. 1199 Safe Schools Improvement Act
  • H.R. 932 Healthy Families Act
  • H. Res. 549 Designating June 26th as LGBT Equality Day
  • H. Res. 208 Equality for All Resolution,  which prohibits discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity in areas that include credit, employment, education, federally funded programs, housing, jury service, and public accommodations
  • H.R. 3273 LGBT Data Inclusion Act
  • Signed the Marriage Equality Amicus Briefs
  • Advocated for LGBT Housing / Privacy Rights
  • Advocated to End Bullying and Harassment in Schools
  • Tulsi signs letter urging President Trump to reverse transgender military ban https://votesmart.org/public-statement/1197627/letter-to-donald-j-trump-president-of-the-united-states-representatives-urge-trump-to-reverse-transgender-military-ban#.XBfzFBNKikZ
  • H.R. 2282 Equality Act of 2017 which amends the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to include sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity among the prohibited categories of discrimination or segregation in places of public accommodation

Tulsi’s Statements/Video

3rd Party Links

34 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

I think we have a far better couple of candidates, which makes Gabbard largely irrelevant going forward to the 2020 nomination and election. 

It is time to move on. 

In the meantime, her vote will make it harder for the Dems in swing districts.  Fuck her.  I get why she did it.  She gets attention for it and that will translate to donations.  But in doing so she validates the Republican bullshit.  

Tulsi stans are my favorite kind of nutjobs. They are all over the fucking place and their beliefs are completely contradictory and they are glorious. Give me a Tulsi cult member who supports the Ukraine and Putin somehow over a dead eyed believes in nothing while doing the happy dance piece of shit Mayor Pete supporter any day. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tuco said:

In the meantime, her vote will make it harder for the Dems in swing districts.  Fuck her.  I get why she did it.  She gets attention for it and that will translate to donations.  But in doing so she validates the Republican bullshit.  

I don't know what was worse in the long run for the Democratic brand. The reaction to the impeachment vote was fury from Trump voters. If there was ever a time a Trump voter thought about not voting - those days are now over. It was a risk worth taking I suppose to mollify the white suburban voter and their angry indignations, but they aren't on the front line against Trump policies.

The disabled had horrible news this week on SSDI - and yet all we heard about is impeachment.

It's over and it is looking less likely he will be acquitted by the Senate since Pelosi apparently will not send the impeachment to the Senate any time soon. But it is time to move on to matters that count for those on the front line of Trump policies. There is real work needed to win in 2020. 

For Texas Democrats, it's time to put on your progressive-populist hat and show the country Democrats can improve the standard of living for all, not just a few fat cats. It is what Texas Democrats do best while trapped in a Republican stronghold. 

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Boy, that was a lot of words that failed to actually say "she wasn't interviewing for a job" (save the headline).

It's unfortunate it takes so many words to explain a meeting with a political foe. But anything less will be skimmed over by J-school airheads and transformed into something sinister.

Just now, Hank Scorpio said:

Tulsi stans are my favorite kind of nutjobs. They are all over the fucking place and their beliefs are completely contradictory and they are glorious. Give me a Tulsi cult member who supports the Ukraine and Putin somehow over a dead eyed believes in nothing while doing the happy dance piece of shit Mayor Pete supporter any day. 

They'll somehow start from a general position that bombing brown people is bad (which is good!), take that to opposing people who support bombing brown people (also good!), and end up taking it all the way around to actually gassing brown people is cool so long as the person doing the gassing opposes someone else's bombing of brown people (not good!).

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

They'll somehow start from a general position that bombing brown people is bad (which is good!), take that to opposing people who support bombing brown people (also good!), and end up taking it all the way around to actually gassing brown people is cool so long as the person doing the gassing opposes someone else's bombing of brown people (not good!).

Bombing bad. 

War is by definition - failure. 

7 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Why would it be okay for anyone to bomb civilian populations?

Total war (bombing of civilians) is a war crime. 

And yet your girl Tulsi defends Assad and to this day claims that at least two of the chemical attacks he's responsible for were staged, based on some very obvious bullshit.

I can't believe I actually have to explain this again:

On 8/1/2019 at 11:19 AM, wildcat09 said:

It's entirely possible to oppose our intervening in other countries without actually supporting someone like Assad. It's not an unreasonable position to argue that, as abhorrent as Assad is, our intervening would likely only make the situation for most Syrians even worse and thus we shouldn't.

That doesn't require pretending that Assad hasn't detained, tortured, and murdered over a hundred thousand people.  That doesn't require pretending that he hasn't gassed his own people.  She doesn't simply make the principled argument, she actively supports Assad and peddles lies for him, enabling his slaughter. Fuck her. She's rancid human garbage and anyone who thinks like her is too.

24 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Is this the same guy on Hornfans who pulled the 'I voted for Bill Clinton' shtick while supporting everything George W. Bush did as President?

if it is indeed the same washparkhorn, then yes, it is. he was the original gary johnson voter. 

there sure were a lot of gary johnson voters, which is weird, because i actually was one.

10 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

I don't know what was worse in the long run for the Democratic brand. The reaction to the impeachment vote was fury from Trump voters. If there was ever a time a Trump voter thought about not voting - those days are now over. It was a risk worth taking I suppose to mollify the white suburban voter and their angry indignations, but they aren't on the front line against Trump policies.

The long run?  If Trump's image improves over time then it is a sure indication that the Republic is lost.  

The Trump voters were going to vote for Trump regardless.  If it was this, it would be some other outrage.  They are Trump voters because they are easily outraged.  They are victims, looking for an affront. It would have been the "socialism" or Hunter Biden or second amendment or some other complete bullshit thing.  

Mollify the white suburban voter? Oh, fuck off man.  Trump's base of support is white people.  Don't characterize this as the Bed, Bath and Beyond of political actions. Race is the single biggest factor of correlation to supporting impeachment - more important than gender, education, age or income.  This isn't about "working class whites", it's about "whites." 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Tuco said:

The long run?  If Trump's image improves over time then it is a sure indication that the Republic is lost.  

lol you can’t be serious with this shit. Of course it will improve. Also, anyone who says something like “the republic is lost” unironically is a fucking dork. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

if it is indeed the same washparkhorn, then yes, it is. he was the original gary johnson voter. 

there sure were a lot of gary johnson voters, which is weird, because i actually was one.

The gary johnson voter meme has always been rooted in self-loathing. 

3 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

3. Wrong and she publicly apologized for her past views.

Tulsi Gabbard on LGBTQ+

Key Points

• Tulsi recently released a video affirming her deep commitment to fighting for equality and protecting for our LGBTQ community https://youtu.be/eLb3KVBErig
  • Tulsi is a vocal advocate of equality for our LGBTQ+ community
  • She is a member of the LGBT Equality Caucus in the House
  • Tulsi has been given a 100% for her voting record and endorsed by the Human Rights Campaign, the largest LGBT lobby organization in the country
  • "With the many challenges facing the LGBT community, we're honored to count Tulsi as an ally in standing up for issues of fairness. From her cosponsorship of the Equality Act to supporting marriage equality for same-sex couples and fighting for persons with HIV/AIDS, we applaud Tulsi's commitment to fundamental equal rights for all." - Mike Mings, Director Human Rights Campaign PAC
  • The Human Rights Campaign represents a force of more than 1.5 million members and supporters nationwide. As the largest national lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer civil rights organization, HRC envisions a world where LGBTQ people are ensured of their basic equal rights, and can be open, honest and safe at home, at work and in the community.
  • Tulsi believes that “equal treatment and opportunity are fundamental rights for all Americans. Discrimination on the basis of national origin, sexual orientation, disability, religious belief, gender, or race undermines core American principles of respect and individual freedom.”
  • Tulsi is committed to fight to ensure all individuals are treated equally under the law regardless of race, sex, religion, age, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
  • Tulsi has received a 100% rating for her voting record in favor of LGBT legislation.

Legislation

• H.R.5 Equality Act of 2019 To prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex, gender identity, and sexual orientation, and for other purposes
  • H.R.1244 To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to clarify that all provisions shall apply to legally married same-sex couples in the same manner as other married couples, and for other purposes.
  • H.R 2532 Respect for Marriage Act
  • H.R.2119 Therapeutic Fraud Prevention Act of 2017, To prohibit, as an unfair or deceptive act or practice, commercial sexual orientation conversion therapy
  • H.Res.124  Expressing opposition to banning service in the Armed Forces by openly transgender individuals.
  • H.R. 1755 Employment Non-Discrimination Act
  • H.R. 2839 Restore Honor to Service Members Act
  • H.R. 197 Repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act
  • H.R. 683 Military Spouses Equal Treatment Act
  • H.R. 1199 Safe Schools Improvement Act
  • H.R. 932 Healthy Families Act
  • H. Res. 549 Designating June 26th as LGBT Equality Day
  • H. Res. 208 Equality for All Resolution,  which prohibits discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity in areas that include credit, employment, education, federally funded programs, housing, jury service, and public accommodations
  • H.R. 3273 LGBT Data Inclusion Act
  • Signed the Marriage Equality Amicus Briefs
  • Advocated for LGBT Housing / Privacy Rights
  • Advocated to End Bullying and Harassment in Schools
  • Tulsi signs letter urging President Trump to reverse transgender military ban https://votesmart.org/public-statement/1197627/letter-to-donald-j-trump-president-of-the-united-states-representatives-urge-trump-to-reverse-transgender-military-ban#.XBfzFBNKikZ
  • H.R. 2282 Equality Act of 2017 which amends the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to include sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity among the prohibited categories of discrimination or segregation in places of public accommodation

Tulsi’s Statements/Video

3rd Party Links

She ain't going to fuck you.  You might have a chance with Sarah Palin, though.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...