What kind of business headset/mic do you use?

52-80

On 9/11/2018 at 9:47 AM, 52-80 said:

Preferred single-ear, or across-the-neck, or otherwise nothing that has a headband. 

I've been with this Plantronics Voyager Legend bluetooth for a while.  It's been decent but it's been crapping out recently and is out of warranty.

Do you work in a call center in Mumbi or something?    I had no idea anyone still used single-ear-plantronics devices.  Bluetooth or not, that's some 1980's stuff.

I work from home for a global Technology company; when I'm not on a skype call, I'm usually listening to music.  Gaming headset are the way to go.  I have 1 wireless and 1 wired.  Comfy on the ears, good sound, 

img.png

11 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Do you work in a call center in Mumbi or something?    I had no idea anyone still used single-ear-plantronics devices.  Bluetooth or not, that's some 1980's stuff.

I work from home for a global Technology company; when I'm not on a skype call, I'm usually listening to music.  Gaming headset are the way to go.  I have 1 wireless and 1 wired.  Comfy on the ears, good sound, 

At office I'm in semi-open environment.  So no public/speaker calls, and laptop mic is terrible anyway.

Want to maintain minimalist desk, hence no awkward headsets, and absolutely no wires.

Big no on on bulky full sized headsets.  I'm not always plugged in, and I like my hair.

Gonna try how a jaybird unit works.  Only prob is it's outdated micro USB (yuck!), whereas the Plantronics had a convenient magnetic charging dock. 

• 1 year later...

Gonna bump this two year old thread with some questions. For business, I suspect that I'm going to need to upgrade sometime soon to Skype/Zoom, probably thru my office laptop. Which means I'll need a budget headset and I have questions about the best way to go. I can see eventually needing this for a couple of hours per day.

My Setup: I use a voip "land line" from Spectrum for most of my business calls. I like the clarity, plus the old-fashioned headset that's plugged into it works well with my hearing aid. I keep my cell on the desk for personal calls and texts. I use LinkedIn for business texting. I can easily connect the laptop to the router three feet away via ethernet cable, which strikes me as the clearest connection.

1. So do I want a wi-fi headset that would need to be charged all the time and inevitably would run out of juice during an important call. Or do I want one that plugs into the laptop's USB port, presumably powered by that?

2. Also, one ear or two? Pros/Cons?

3. Which platform, Skype or Zoom, is the most popular for business? I haven't looked into either. I'm sure connecting is pretty simple, but seems I've heard that Zoom is free while Skype requires an annual or monthly subscription.  If a client wants to use Skype, will I need a subscription to participate?

4. Any suggestions as to an alternate configuration.

5. Finally, any suggestions as to a good headset? At $36, these MPOWs look pretty good. 2300 reviews, 4.3 stars. Stupid color, but not available in black.

61stBQHbJZL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Thanks in advance. Still no pics of aging sister.