Cafe Blue (downtown Austin)

jimmyjazz

Any thoughts on Cafe Blue (2nd Street -- Austin)?  We have an anniversary coming up and my wife loves seafood.  I'm not a fan, but it's not a night to be picky.  I'll get a steak.

How's the food?  The atmosphere?  I checked the menu . . . prices are fine, dishes "look" tasty enough.  Is it better to just go somewhere else for seafood?  Truluck's?  Eddie V's?  Other?  Somewhere downtown is preferred, since we might head to the Paramount afterwards, but it's not an absolute requirement.

There are much better seafood restaurants closer to the Paramount that are around the same pricing levels.  Cafe Bleu is okay enough, but it's nothing special, it's usually dead and/or filled with conventioneers.  Staff/service is subpar, at best.  

I'd more strongly suggest (though they may be a hint more price-wise): Parkside, Truluck's, and Eddie V's.  Sure, their entrees probably run $5 more per person, but if it's an anniversary dinner, you can get that back by spending $10 less on a bottle of wine or champagne and have a better overall time IMO.  

5 hours ago, South Austin said:

If you absolutely don't have to be downtown, I highly recommend Guild.  If your wife loves seafood and it's your anniversary, it's worth the splurge. 

You are the undoubtedly first person I have ever heard recommend Guild.  

You and your wife must be the only two people I see in there on weekends.  

11 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

You are the undoubtedly first person I have ever heard recommend Guild.  

You and your wife must be the only two people I see in there on weekends.  

I went a couple weeks ago on a weekend night and all the tables were full but the bar had seating. So it was crowded (and a very good meal). 

Guild is a good recommendation, its sort of in the "art food" category.   Went a couple weeks ago on a weekend and really enjoyed it.  One thing I like about Guild that is different from a lot of the newer, higher end restaurants - the tables aren't right on top of each other, and it is not loud AF.  Service was also outstanding.  There wasn't any one item that we had (its a smaller shared plates sort of place) stood out as a "wow, i will be back for this and order it every time," but the meal was great overall and the waiter did say they will be rotating out items on the menu so I'll be back.

I've been to Cafe Josie a few times in the last several months, but only once for dinner.  I thought it was just fine, and its a nice date spot.  Guild is a higher end choice IMO.  

I also love Clark's for seafood.  Its one of my top 5 restaurants in Austin right now.  Get the Basque cake for dessert.  Its fucking amazing.   

Went to Cafe Blue DT for mother's day, it was a complete disaster.  Waited 45 minutes+ for our car at the valet (along with about 15 other groups). The cops eventually showed up because of it.  I mean, I've had lunch at the Cafe Blue in the Galleria a dozen times or more and its always been fine for a weekday lunch, but its not a place I would go for a a date night.

• Like 3

Cafe Blue is decent enough, but it’s one of those semi-trendy, above averages places that are popping up all over. It should probably be in the Domain.

I was there for a friend’s birthday party, it’s cool for that. I wouldn’t do a date night there.

Edited by VolenteHawk

Semi-trendy?  Literally half the times I've been in there, I was the only person in there.  And I am not a trendsetter.  If the OP could tell us whether or not they are actually going to the Paramount afterwards, we can confirm a good spot.  Great restaurant suggestions above but they are a complete pain in the ass in terms of location if they'd like to walk to their show right after dinner so as to have more time to enjoy the meal/drinks . 

Saturday September 29.  Paul Reiser at The Paramount.  We're just trying to find something different to do -- neither one of us is a major Paul Reiser fan but hell, it's something.

It's completely within reason to Uber into downtown after dinner and back out after the show.  I'm not gonna do it from Lakeway, but anything loosely within the central city is probably fine.

Lots of great recs, thanks.

• 3 months later...

I believe I read they are moving downtown though to one of the new towers set to open in early 2019.  I think they'll actually benefit tremendously from that switch.  

Every other week is a reboot of mexican food, italian, or steakhouse.  Not much original thought into the seafood space.  I welcome it (I'll find the link to the actual bldg.)

14 hours ago, Lobo said:

I believe I read they are moving downtown though to one of the new towers set to open in early 2019.  I think they'll actually benefit tremendously from that switch.  

Every other week is a reboot of mexican food, italian, or steakhouse.  Not much original thought into the seafood space.  I welcome it (I'll find the link to the actual bldg.)

yeah, that made me nervous for a minute as we have NYE reservations there.  sounds like NYE will be its last night in that space.  i read that they will likely be moving into the space where Counter III V VII is (or was).  i was not impressed at all with that place at all so i would think guild would be an upgrade, but i like having options outside of the DT/CBD because traffic and parking are such a kick in the balls