Put in the big hole and gouge on it (truck driver check in)

drifter379

There was a road I took through Oregon once that was just fucking spectacular with the river running alongside and fish were jumping. I think it was the Salmon River. It was killing me I couldn't pull over, whip out a rod and go to town. That prompted me to buy a cheap collapsible fishing rod, but I never had the same golden opportunity again.

2nd most awesome run was through Glenwood Canyon on Hwy 6 before they built I-70. You were right alongside the Colorado River.

Edited by RPM
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

LTL with a 40,000 min is hard to beat. I lucked into one of those back in the day. Picked up 1 pallet of turkey at Plantation in Waco and took it to Perdue in Delaware. Got there and USDA turned it down so I took it back to Waco, they swapped it out and sent me back to Delaware. It was only 400 lbs for some test. I got paid the same, but my boss was happy as hell.

• Like 1

If this wasn’t a rush load I’d try to use more of the deck. They were waiting on me to pull in the gate and the job is shut down until I get there. They are expecting it Thursday. Lol. 3 days to do 900 miles? What has this industry come too? I told them if they have more good loads like this to call me.

I should be there this evening. As long as traffic isn’t too bad in Atlanta. If it wasn’t for these e logs I could have been there by lunch today.

So this load pays good and helps build my rep with the agent.

• 1 month later...

I’ve gotta say buying my own truck has been the best decision I’ve ever made.

Everyone I talked to said it would be at least a year before we became profitable. And that may be true before I start seeing real money but we are catching up on all the start up cost and that truck account is looking better and better every week.

I’m parked in Wildwood FL tonight. It’s a real trip because I used to come through here all the time 20 years ago. Every row in wildwood was the party row but it’s dead quite here tonight. Between the guys wanting to polish your tanks and wheels to the lot lizzards wanting to polish your knob it was hard to get a full nights sleep.

The little polish shed across the street is now a legit shop. My how things change. If I don’t get a load tomorrow I might swing through the cafe risqué for old times sake.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 7:38 AM, drifter379 said:

We don’t go by weight. Our pay is based on per mile.

Right, but the weight determines the rate. At least that's how it used to work. Admittedly, I've been out of the biz since the 90's. The rate always started at 40K. 

Right, but the weight determines the rate. At least that's how it used to work. Admittedly, I've been out of the biz since the 90's. The rate always started at 40K. 

It only works like that for heavy haul now I believe. Seem to me the lighter it is the better it pays.

But when I say lighter it’s usually speciality stuff not bulk items like lumber and other building materials. I know sometime they will change the rate on a steel load if it’s light but I try to avoid that.

3 hours ago, drifter379 said:

It only works like that for heavy haul now I believe. Seem to me the lighter it is the better it pays.

Right. Under 40K was LTL and at a higher rate. Also left you the option of getting a 2nd load for some gravy if you had room.

Right. Under 40K was LTL and at a higher rate. Also left you the option of getting a 2nd load for some gravy if you had room.

I’ve never done LTL but I’ve been thinking about it for the small loads. Problem is most of them are overnight or delivery is set where I don’t have much time to do anything else.