Put in the big hole and gouge on it (truck driver check in)

drifter379

On 12/11/2020 at 10:42 PM, Gil Bang said:

Anybody have any experience with a Western Star?   Nobody in my family has driven one.  I hear they are a damm fine truck.

When I was managing some heavy haul stuff, the drivers didn’t like them all that much, fwiw.  They made up about 40% of what we had here in the states tho. 

Subscribed to drifters YouTube.

One idea for content would just be good tunes start to finish on your radio with the camera pointed out the windshield. So sort of like being John malkovich but instead of seeing the world through the eyes of an actor who starred in a jewel thief movie, we’re seeing it through those of a trucker jamming out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Back in the day (late 80's - early 90's) I had a pretty good TV set up. It was similar to this pic, but it was an Emerson. It was secured(?) with a small bungie cord sitting on the mattress in a cabover Freightliner. There used to be a movie rental network at Petro and TA where you rent at one place and return anywhere in the network. It was pretty lousy and I usually wound up doing the scan/computer work for the high school dropout minimum wage clueless clerks. But the set was damn near indestructible. It went through 100s of thousands of miles bouncing on a mattress held only only a small bungie wrapped around the carry handle.
810iztscLYL._AC_SX425_.jpg

I had a similar set back in the day.
It had an auto replay feature so when the tape ended it would rewind and start again.
The outlaw Josey wales played so many times I went through three different copies. I can quote that movie word for word.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've got a tough decision to make in the next few weeks. Just got my CDL renewal and it's $105. I haven't driven big trucks for a living since '95. Downgraded it to a Farm Use CDL in '12 so I could skirt the pita physicals. I got my Chauffeurs License (preCDL era) when I was 17 so for the last 43 years I've been able to drive just about anything I damn well pleased. Nowdays I'm pretty confident I'm not going to drive big trucks for a living ever again and there are lots of upsides to giving it up like regaining several civil rights like being able to fight a ticket. But damn if it doesn't hurt worse than pulling wisdom teeth without pain meds to give it up.

• Like 1

I've got a tough decision to make in the next few weeks. Just got my CDL renewal and it's $105. I haven't driven big trucks for a living since '95. Downgraded it to a Farm Use CDL in '12 so I could skirt the pita physicals. I got my Chauffeurs License (preCDL era) when I was 17 so for the last 43 years I've been able to drive just about anything I damn well pleased. Nowdays I'm pretty confident I'm not going to drive big trucks for a living ever again and there are lots of upsides to giving it up like regaining several civil rights like being able to fight a ticket. But damn if it doesn't hurt worse than pulling wisdom teeth without pain meds to give it up.

I look forward to the day I can burn mine and I’ll be dancing as I pour the gasoline.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2021 at 10:35 PM, drifter379 said:

I look forward to the day I can burn mine and I’ll be dancing as I pour the gasoline.

Well today was my day. I did save it from shredding by telling her I was required to have it for work. I'm not, but fuck them for making me wait an hour. Maybe I can do a ritual later.

• Like 1

If that’s you laughing in the background, you sure handled him pulling out in front of you at the end better than I would have. 

That was me laughing. He didn’t pull out in front of me, there were two lanes.

But in retrospect if he can’t go the right way on the highway I probably shouldn’t have trusted him to stay in his lane.

You can’t hear him because of the radio but as I went by he says “I kinda fucked up there”

3 hours ago, drifter379 said:

That was me laughing. He didn’t pull out in front of me, there were two lanes.

But in retrospect if he can’t go the right way on the highway I probably shouldn’t have trusted him to stay in his lane.

You can’t hear him because of the radio but as I went by he says “I kinda fucked up there”

That stretch between Big Cabin and Durant has got to be the longest 200 mile stretch in the country.  I have made that drive many times and it seems longer each time.

• Like 1

That stretch between Big Cabin and Durant has got to be the longest 200 mile stretch in the country.  I have made that drive many times and it seems longer each time.

And tougher than shit. I fucking hate everything about oklahoma and that stretch of road in particular.
  • Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 10:30 AM, RPM said:

I let mine go for the very reason you describe.  Always liked having it "just in case" and finally decided OTR was probably out of the equation for me, regardless of how dire things might become on the job front.

I felt the same way you did, as if I was losing something that was a part of me. i appreciate Drifter's perspective though too!

Edited by slorch

Got my new downgraded license, today I am a civilian. Along with the gold star (that I already had) signifying I'm me, the new photo is B&W digital. I noticed my new state professional license renewal had a B&W photo as well. WTF is going on? What computer system in 2021 can't handle basic color images?

• Like 1

Bed bugger= house hold / furniture hauler.

Big house = truck with a large sleeper cab.

A truck with a sleeper that size is usually specialized or hauls trade shows.
I bet they are just moving household goods right now to make money until the trade show circuits open back up.

Bed bugger= house hold / furniture hauler.

Big house = truck with a large sleeper cab.

A truck with a sleeper that size is usually specialized or hauls trade shows.
I bet they are just moving household goods right now to make money until the trade show circuits open back up.

He’s a former Marines logistics guy that specializes in executive relocation moves. I’m sure the wife’s new employer’s bill is going to be over $50K. Crew of 6 taking 4 days to pack and load on this end. https://showtimerelocations.net/

He having ARI build him a bigger cab presently. He’s got some pretty cool specialized moving equipment like giant roadie boxes basically made into file boxes for art, mirrors, and flat screen TVs that roll into the truck.
  • Like 1

I remember giving my Dad shit for driving a '68 Dodge coe with a 290 Cummins and a 10 speed. This is a good replica, but the colors are wrong. Should be white w/red accents.

Qr9HEfoa_cCQqsLfQQGA9NaJTnpaJXU1yQsxveR2

"It has 1 stick, 1 stack and 1 axle." But apparently he made some decent coin driving for that guy and wound up buying his own truck not long after.

Edited by RPM

In the three truck pic from left to right.

Strollin’ Nolan
Dougie Daddy
Preacher Man

Some of the same crew that did the tackle box remodel in Aggy land. I can neither confirm or deny that 27-25 was written on a majority of the pieces that were set on the aggy job.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I understand nothing about this clearinghouse other than it’s the government sticking their nose in wherever it doesn’t need to be. I understand from their FAQ shit on their site that it doesn’t officially begin until 1/6/2023 instead of 1/6/2020?

Anybody schooled on this crap that can dumb it down for me?

I don’t understand it either. I assume I’m in it because I’m leased to a company. But I’ve made zero effort on my own to sign up.

I’m probably wrong-the whole point of it was your drivers have queries with their drug and alcohol violation record so future employers can take a look at them?

It’s so dumb that the FAQ says it won’t be up and running until January 2023 and you can’t even buy queries.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

$7,500 may be "chicken feed" but the $75,000 you'll spend on a restoration is not. 

I could flip it for $30K without doing a thing to it. You're right about a full resto, but you'd be better off doing a modified version saving the sheet metal only.

Edited by RPM

Clean B Model Macks are rare. I just don't have the infrastructure (shop) to handle it.  I may have slightly overestimated the price in my excitement, but not by much.

Edited by RPM

• 2 weeks later...