Put in the big hole and gouge on it (truck driver check in)

drifter379

• 1 month later...

Back in "the day", the best (worst) truck stop for whores was the 76 on I-10 in Ontario CA, about 40 mi east of L.A.  

This is going back 30 years or  more.  It was notorious.  IIRC, 60 minutes talked about it

It's still there.  It's just W of I-15.  There's a T-A on the other side of 10 for the last 25 years or so.  

On 5/31/2018 at 1:58 PM, drifter379 said:

59 over the San Jacinto river Just north of Houston.
78506c897a39e4c61f751789492622d4.jpg
e64ab406301619b5a1d064b89fbbc5d6.jpg
e672f4eac7cd022fdf6238cb5c28c10c.jpg

Was told the river is nearly 60' deep here and it was over the road during the Harvey floods.

The San Jac was way up over that bridge, and the water moved the cement dividers that separated the HOV from normal lanes, and took out walls in other areas. It ran out of its banks almost a mile on either side in some parts. Southbound 59 over the river got F’d and although it was open for a few months, (I haven’t been back since April), I heard when the repair project started they are forcing people off onto the frontage road at the bridge for 6 months!

2 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Back in "the day", the best (worst) truck stop for whores was the 76 on I-10 in Ontario CA, about 40 mi east of L.A.  

This is going back 30 years or  more.  It was notorious.  IIRC, 60 minutes talked about it

It's still there.  It's just W of I-15.  There's a T-A on the other side of 10 for the last 25 years or so.  

Haven't been there since the early 90's, but the 76 was a couple exits down from the T/A. T/A had a noname fuel stop across the street with a dirt lot. That's where all the stuff happened that you couldn't get away with at T/A.

I drove from Des Moines to Chicago last week and went by what is claimed to be the largest truck stop evah.
place had its own water tower.  Didn’t stop.

That's the Iowa 80.

They have
Dentist
Doctor
Movie theater
Barber
Chiropractor
Chrome shop
2-3 places to eat

And they used to have a limo to shuttle drivers to and from the trucks

4 hours ago, drifter379 said:

That's the Iowa 80.

They have
Dentist
Doctor
Movie theater
Barber
Chiropractor
Chrome shop
2-3 places to eat

And they used to have a limo to shuttle drivers to and from the trucks

Chrome Shop is code for massage parlor, right?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This could easily be thrown into the dumb question amnesty thread, but I'm choosing to drop it here.

My daughters and I play the license plate game in the car (keep a list and try to find all 50).

Trailers on 18 wheelers are a good source of out of state players, however, there is an insane number of them from both Oklahoma and Maine. Any idea why?

Cheaper to register there? Manufactured there?

Oklahoma I can kind of see, but Maine? Wtf?

46 minutes ago, PatrickMcHorn said:

This could easily be thrown into the dumb question amnesty thread, but I'm choosing to drop it here.

My daughters and I play the license plate game in the car (keep a list and try to find all 50).

Trailers on 18 wheelers are a good source of out of state players, however, there is an insane number of them from both Oklahoma and Maine. Any idea why?

Cheaper to register there? Manufactured there?

Oklahoma I can kind of see, but Maine? Wtf?

I believe it has to do with no business property taxes being charged on them in addition to registration cost

a relative that has a trucking company in Arkansas registers her trailers in OK (not sure about the tractors) and it is because of taxes

if you have 100 trailers worth $20,000 each (a lower end medium sized trucking company) that is $2 million and 5% taxes on that would be $100,000 a year you could save or more depending on the business property tax rate is where your business is

When I was a kid my Dad hauled a lot of military stuff. Bombs, torpedoes, aircraft fuselages. I got to play for a whole weekend in an F-86 he was hauling to Arizona. He was taking a couple days at the house and cracked open the cockpit for me. Hundreds of MiGs were shot down in flames that weekend. Think I won Vietnam, too.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

tl; fuck electronic logs..

we havent ran into a problem really with running out of time due to something that isnt your fault(city, detour, traffic jams, accidents) but man there needs to be some sort of grace period with this shit.

I like the idea of 600-650 miles for every 8 hour break. that way you know where you can get to and plan ahead. 

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM
  • Like 1

My little 3/4 ton flatbed is unregulated. The most I’ve done with no rest is about 17 hours. Things start feeling dangerous after that. I’ve only done it a couple of times and have sworn to never do it again. That’s probably nothing for a real OTR trucker (if he didn’t have an ELD). 

we havent ran into a problem really with running out of time due to something that isnt your fault(city, detour, traffic jams, accidents) but man there needs to be some sort of grace period with this shit.

I like the idea of 600-650 miles for every 8 hour break. that way you know where you can get to and plan ahead. 

Does your company allow drivers personal conveyance? I use it almost every day.

• 3 months later...
Those condos look cool, but I bet they are a major pita especially in the northeast. Gotta drive up that empty weight, too.

I'm about to buy my own truck and found pretty close to my dream truck. It's 300" wheel base. Where the fuck are you supposed to park that?
This is the one I want but I will end up going more conservative on my first one.

That's what I'm talkin' about! Nice rig you can maneuver with a roomy sleeper and you aren't giving up a ton of empty weight. Nearly all of those supercondo trucks I've seen were hauling household or specialized stuff like showbiz that didn't weigh a lot. 

Edited by RPM

• 4 weeks later...

Had to take a detour otw to work today. 1810 used to be a sleepy little farm road. Now its a 2 lane rock truck race track.

IMG_3208.jpg

Three commercial vehicles collided around 2:40 a.m. Thursday morning on Farm Road 1810 at County Road 1490 near Chico.

Preliminary investigation indicates a 2007 Kenworth tractor-trailer driven by Donald Langston, 52, of Whitesboro, was traveling west on FM 1810 and was slowing to make a right turn on CR 1490, according to Department of Public Safety spokesman Ricky Hunter. A 2014 Mack tractor-trailer, driven by Earl Moore, 59, of Crowley, was behind Langston and attempted to pass in a no passing zone.

As a result, Moore struck a struck a 1998 Peterbilt that was traveling eastbound head-on. The Peterbilt was driven by Michael Hartley, 64, of Chico.

The Mack and Peterbilt both caught fire. The trailer being towed by the Peterbilt struck the trailer being towed by the Kenworth, causing minor damage.

Moore was transported to Parkland Hospital in Dallas by ground ambulance. Multiple medical helicopters were requested but all were unable to fly due to weather. Langston and Hartley were not injured.

DPS troopers shut down FM 1810 in both directions as crews worked to clean up the wreckage. Traffic was diverted onto CR 1490.

I'm about to buy my own truck and found pretty close to my dream truck. It's 300" wheel base. Where the fuck are you supposed to park that?
This is the one I want but I will end up going more conservative on my first one.

I know a Peterbilt sales guy out of Denton if you need a contact.

I know a Peterbilt sales guy out of Denton if you need a contact.

In talking to peterbilt in Tulsa. They have the trucks specs that I'm looking for.

565hp ix15 Cummins

2050 torque

18 speed

They just got my credit app yesterday so I should know by next week what I'm looking at time wise to get in one.

On 9/12/2018 at 8:38 PM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I love electronic logs because I don’t have to file all my driver’s logs by day, month, year.

• Like 1