Put in the big hole and gouge on it (truck driver check in)

drifter379

Had to take a detour otw to work today. 1810 used to be a sleepy little farm road. Now its a 2 lane rock truck race track.
IMG_3208.jpg

Three commercial vehicles collided around 2:40 a.m. Thursday morning on Farm Road 1810 at County Road 1490 near Chico.

Preliminary investigation indicates a 2007 Kenworth tractor-trailer driven by Donald Langston, 52, of Whitesboro, was traveling west on FM 1810 and was slowing to make a right turn on CR 1490, according to Department of Public Safety spokesman Ricky Hunter. A 2014 Mack tractor-trailer, driven by Earl Moore, 59, of Crowley, was behind Langston and attempted to pass in a no passing zone.

As a result, Moore struck a struck a 1998 Peterbilt that was traveling eastbound head-on. The Peterbilt was driven by Michael Hartley, 64, of Chico.

The Mack and Peterbilt both caught fire. The trailer being towed by the Peterbilt struck the trailer being towed by the Kenworth, causing minor damage.

Moore was transported to Parkland Hospital in Dallas by ground ambulance. Multiple medical helicopters were requested but all were unable to fly due to weather. Langston and Hartley were not injured.

DPS troopers shut down FM 1810 in both directions as crews worked to clean up the wreckage. Traffic was diverted onto CR 1490.

Looks like a job for Jamie Davis, eh?

• 2 weeks later...

Buying through Tulsa. They are the only ones specing out the big torque with the x15

It been an adventure. I've been planing and saving for over a year to make this happen.

And there is no other color but purple for my Pete.

f23a8cebd3ffb55ca6afabc652546d8a.jpg

Unfortunately catapillar doesn't make truck motors any more or I would have a purple painted pussy powered Pete.

• Like 3

Got dang 4 wheelers!

IMG_7678-300x213.jpg

A cattle hauler carrying roughly 90 head of cattle overturned Monday night on U.S. 81/287 at County Road 2798 north of Alvord.

Department of Public Safety Troopers and the Alvord Fire Department responded to the crash just after 9 p.m. Alvord Fire Chief Sam Hahn said witnesses saw a pickup truck veer into the cattle hauler’s lane and sideswipe it.

The cattle hauler went into the shoulder to avoid the pickup and overturned. Both drivers were unharmed.

Hahn said other haulers and trailers were coming to pick up the 90 head of cattle. It was unclear if any of the cattle were harmed.

Bull hauling is a shitty job. Double deck of swinging weight, buying dead cattle, nothing but headaches. Then some asshole in a pickup can't stay in his fucking lane...

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Got dang 4 wheelers!

IMG_7678-300x213.jpg

A cattle hauler carrying roughly 90 head of cattle overturned Monday night on U.S. 81/287 at County Road 2798 north of Alvord.

Department of Public Safety Troopers and the Alvord Fire Department responded to the crash just after 9 p.m. Alvord Fire Chief Sam Hahn said witnesses saw a pickup truck veer into the cattle hauler’s lane and sideswipe it.

The cattle hauler went into the shoulder to avoid the pickup and overturned. Both drivers were unharmed.

Hahn said other haulers and trailers were coming to pick up the 90 head of cattle. It was unclear if any of the cattle were harmed.

Bull hauling is a shitty job. Double deck of swinging weight, buying dead cattle, nothing but headaches. Then some asshole in a pickup can't stay in his fucking lane...

Quite a few of those calves will be dead, or will die soon.  Been there, done that.  Sickening.  

• 1 month later...

Tomorrows the big day! Happy Birthday Drifter!

Ran across this and thought I'd share. This was the truck I cut my teeth on. Dad's 1966 Diamond T with a 671 Detroit 238 (wound so tight it was insane) and 10 speed. He did some serious work on the engine and that thing would scream. It was putting out around 300hp. Note the extra fuel tanks behind the resonators. He used to sneak across the border in El Paso and buy cheap fuel during the 70's oil crisis. You were limited to 20 gallons, but give the Mexican border guard a receipt for 20 gallons along with a $20 and you were gold. He could top off around 700 gallons. That Mexican diesel was #3 and burned a little smoky as you can tell.

Diamond-T-1973.png

• Like 4

Asked the dealer if he could get someone to take a pic on the assembly line but no luck.

Probably 7-10 days for it to get to the dealer and then another week or so to put all the extra shit on it. (Stacks, bumper, visor, lights)

So I’m thinking last week of March first week of April before I get to drive it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drifter379 said:

Asked the dealer if he could get someone to take a pic on the assembly line but no luck.

Probably 7-10 days for it to get to the dealer and then another week or so to put all the extra shit on it. (Stacks, bumper, visor, lights)

So I’m thinking last week of March first week of April before I get to drive it.

Want a photoshop with you, your rig and Big and Little Enos

My video was of the trucks blowing over and trailers goingup on 4 wheels yesterdayin Amarillo.   Now it’s showing another condo sleeper video on mine?  Shit is borked?

What are the laws on idling? is it legal to park and idle for hours on end?

Different states and cities have there own laws about idling.

http://cdllife.com/2014/idling-laws-state/

I’ve heard of them being enforced but I’ve never seen it. I can go weeks at a time where the only time I turn the truck off is to check the oil.

Stayed at a paid lot in philly a couple of years ago with a guard. No idling signs all over the place. The temps were in the teens. I told the guy I was going to idle anyway and he didn’t care.

10 hours ago, drifter379 said:

Different states and cities have there own laws about idling.

http://cdllife.com/2014/idling-laws-state/

I’ve heard of them being enforced but I’ve never seen it. I can go weeks at a time where the only time I turn the truck off is to check the oil.

Stayed at a paid lot in philly a couple of years ago with a guard. No idling signs all over the place. The temps were in the teens. I told the guy I was going to idle anyway and he didn’t care.

Thanks for the response. I would have expected clean air laws and noise ordinances would have precluded idling.

On 2/5/2019 at 4:45 AM, RPM said:

Got dang 4 wheelers!

IMG_7678-300x213.jpg

I don't know how the cattle pots are going to deal with elogs.

How are you set for radio? I have a Texas Star 667 I could part with. When you absolutely, positively have to be heard.

I run a little galaxy Dx 959 right now. The truck comes with a cobra 29 because that’s what fits in the cubby hole. I’ll have to see what I can fit and I might get back to you on that. A big truck needs a big radio.
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, drifter379 said:

I run a little galaxy Dx 959 right now. The truck comes with a cobra 29 because that’s what fits in the cubby hole. I’ll have to see what I can fit and I might get back to you on that. A big truck needs a big radio.

It's on my 939 in my F350. Really don't need it anymore and would rather see it go to a good home rather that some ebay rando. 

Is the sleeper cabin comfortable?  And how safe is it?  In other words, is it hard to break in one of those things?

It’s comfortable to me but I’ve been sleeping in trucks for 20+ years. Lol
I have a fridge a microwave a 24”flat screen and a PS4 in my sleeper so it’s basically a small apartment.
As far as safe I’ve bet had any issues. If my truck moves in an abnormal way I wake up very easily.
And let’s just say if anyone were to get in my truck while I was sleeping they would be leaving with an extra hole or two.
  • Like 2

My Dad's a retired trucker.  

Man, there's a world of difference between trucks from the 60's-70's and trucks now. 

A buddy of his drove an old Jimmy Cabover from the 60's, and the doghouse would get so hot his leg would be blistered. 

And the power.  I used to drive to Vegas and on I-15 trucks  would be backed up for miles in the truck lane crawling up the passes at 15 mph.  Now, I'm driving my mercedes, and the mofos are passing me on the hills. 

I remember when my Dad bought a new international conventional in '73.  Air Conditioning, air-assist steering, and the mighty Cummins 350 under the hood.   He thought he had the world by the balls in that luxury machine. 

• Like 1

Yeah back in the day you had no power steering, ac, air ride, air seats, walk in sleepers, etc. The old sub 300 hp engines and dual (or triple) stick transmissions would work your ass off. My Dad used to say truckers were fat because they used their belly to hold the wheel while they had both hands on the transmission. I never could do the two handed shift, screwed it up every time. I had to shift the main then the auxiliary one at a time. But I'd still rather have two sticks because it's just cooler that way.

There used to be a trucker museum at the old Shady Grove truckstop near Lordsburg, NM. Had tons of old photos of drivers, their trucks and desert trucking stories prior to I-10. Seeing how some of those guys modified their rigs to make them livable was pretty awesome.

Drivers today have no idea how cush they have it.

You get an automatic with that new truck?

I thought about it. Lol

I went with the 18 manual but I’ve had a lot of drivers say the new auto 18’s are pretty sweet if you get them set right. I may be wrong but I believe they are programmable to set the shifts where you want them.

On 3/21/2019 at 9:08 PM, Jkwellborn said:

You get an automatic with that new truck?

b699c801bafe77a4dddc5355634d48038f6f6560

Buddy of mine buys a new truck every few years, the one he drives now is an 2018 I think and makes 650 hp (although he reports 4 mpg "loaded, unloaded, 60 mph, 90 mph" so there is that, although he may have flashed his cpu or whatever for more hp. He is a younger dude). I can remember the Detroit 8-71 being considered "big" and I think that was about 320 hp. I still want a big truck w/ an 8-71 in it (drove a feed truck in HS w/ a 6-71, like a mid 70's Jimmy w/ a 2 speed axle. Topped out at about 50 mph....) /csb

On 3/21/2019 at 12:03 PM, drifter379 said:

My goal was to have

Purple painted pussy powered Pete painted on the back but cat stopped making truck motors.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't we down to just 2 engine mfg.s for otr trucks?

On 3/21/2019 at 3:40 PM, drifter379 said:

I ran a radio for a while when I was in the ohl fill a few years ago and never picked up much traffic. Although we weren't on the interstate much, I hoped to hear if the dot was open between Pecos and Midland when we did need to use I-10. And I never heard shit. Is that thing useful to you on a regular basis?