Put in the big hole and gouge on it (truck driver check in)

drifter379

8 hours ago, RPM said:

Stumbled across this. Right in my ballpark.

I like that he had a picture at the top of Monteagle.  Still don't see trucks scooting up that hill quickly. A place so notorious that two songs were written about it.

2 hours ago, GringoSalado said:

b699c801bafe77a4dddc5355634d48038f6f6560

Buddy of mine buys a new truck every few years, the one he drives now is an 2018 I think and makes 650 hp (although he reports 4 mpg "loaded, unloaded, 60 mph, 90 mph" so there is that, although he may have flashed his cpu or whatever for more hp. He is a younger dude). I can remember the Detroit 8-71 being considered "big" and I think that was about 320 hp. I still want a big truck w/ an 8-71 in it (drove a feed truck in HS w/ a 6-71, like a mid 70's Jimmy w/ a 2 speed axle. Topped out at about 50 mph....) /csb

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't we down to just 2 engine mfg.s for otr trucks?

I ran a radio for a while when I was in the ohl fill a few years ago and never picked up much traffic. Although we weren't on the interstate much, I hoped to hear if the dot was open between Pecos and Midland when we did need to use I-10. And I never heard shit. Is that thing useful to you on a regular basis? 

2 engines?  1) Cummins 2) Paccar  3) Mercedes  4) Mack  5) International/Navistar  off the top of my head

Isn't Penske making Detroit's again?  Cat is now making trucks, I assume that they have Cat engines.

Edited by Gil Bang

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Cat is now making trucks, I assume that they have Cat engines.

The initial few model years did not. I was under the impression they were out of that business, but I just checked their website and they now spec a "CT" line of engines.

(I don't really count Mack as you can't spec their motors in another truck. As far as I know.)

I shopped for a 2016 or 2017 Paccar and at that time there were two only 2 options, Cummins/Navistar, and Volvo (my understanding at the time is the Paccar engines were a Cummins short block and Valvetrain by Navistar). 

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 6:45 AM, RPM said:

Got dang 4 wheelers!

Yeah - one of those caught my son-in-law.
DWI they went through a blinking red and hit him right behind the front wheels, broke the axle and over she went.

Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor

Image may contain: outdoor

This was about 10 days ago, he was pretty bruised up and took 7 staples to close a head gash. But he's fine now, just waiting for the Dr to okay him get in the cab again.

• Like 3

Once you are on the highway, what rules are there about listening to the radio, podcasts, or talking on the phone?

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/driver-safety/distracted-driving/mobile-phone-restrictions-fact-sheet

“ Fines and Penalties – Using a hand-held mobile phone while driving a CMV can result in driver disqualification. Penalties can be up to $2,750 for drivers and up to $11,000 for employers who allow or require drivers to use a hand-held communications device while driving.”

They aren’t fucking around about hands free. But I see assholes all day every day playing on their phones. For trucks I d say 4 out of 10 that I pass are holding a phone.

4 wheelers it’s probably more like 6 out of 10.
  • Like 1

Very nice rig.
Are you going to park it way out in the lot to keep the door dings away, or just bump something with that bumper to take the pressure off keeping it new?

I’m going to stand in front of it and throat punch any mouth breather that looks at it too long.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Damn, how much is that thing gonna weigh full of fuel?

The shipping weight on the truck is 19,321#

Plus the 2,000# of fuel.

Then add a headache rack the chains and binders and straps and tarps

I’ll also have clothes, food, tv, microwave, ps4, and tools.

Once I get it all loaded up I’ll run across a scale. But it’s gonna be putting down some ground pressure.

19 hours ago, drifter379 said:

The shipping weight on the truck is 19,321#

Plus the 2,000# of fuel.

Then add a headache rack the chains and binders and straps and tarps

I’ll also have clothes, food, tv, microwave, ps4, and tools.

Once I get it all loaded up I’ll run across a scale. But it’s gonna be putting down some ground pressure.

How do you power that stuff...APU?   

And my dad got out of the business before APU's were a thing.  They provide HVAC as well as electricity, correct?  Do they also power fuel heaters/engine heaters for cold weather?  How big/powerful are they?

No APU for me. I get the idea of them but they are just extra maintenance costs because they ALWAYS break down.

Depending on the weather I don’t turn my truck off except to check the oil.
I just run a 3000w power inverter.

The fridge is built in and the microwave is only 700w.

7 hours ago, drifter379 said:

I’m down with thujone mudflaps.

Just for giggles I looked around. These guys seem pretty reasonable.

https://usaflap.com/products/hot-stamp-mud-flaps/

I'm interested on the APU specs, too. Didn't have those in my day and I sweated many a layover to get my fuel bonus. A friend of my Dad name Mike Novotny designed an early prototype that had a 2cyl diesel engine plumbed into the engine oil, coolant and a/c. Saw it mounted on his Pete around '82. Last I heard he was selling the design to Cummins, but that was in the early 80's.

Always wondered why they havent moved away from motor driven hvac and gone full electric. All you need is a generator then and it simplifies so many systems.

59 minutes ago, drifter379 said:

No APU for me. I get the idea of them but they are just extra maintenance costs because they ALWAYS break down.

Depending on the weather I don’t turn my truck off except to check the oil.
I just run a 3000w power inverter.

The fridge is built in and the microwave is only 700w.

It's interesting that you can't check the oil with the engine running. 

In college, I ran heavy equipment.   We always checked the fluids with the engine hot and running.  It was thought to be more accurate than a cold reading.   The dipsticks allowed for both. (not the radiator of course)

Edited by Gil Bang

21 hours ago, thestud said:

A gallon of diesel is roughly 7.5 pounds, so if e=mC^2 and pi= 3.14159 that means that the Purple Pussy Pleaser will carry around 2,025 pounds of fuel.

BTW, what kind of fuel mileage do you expect from a new truck?  In the 6's???

19 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

It's interesting that you can't check the oil with the engine running. 

In college, I ran heavy equipment.   We always checked the fluids with the engine hot and running.  It was thought to be more accurate than a cold reading.   The dipsticks allowed for both. (not the radiator of course)

You can, but you need a dipstick marked for running level. Cat engines usually had one marked for both idle and off, around a gallon difference. It's not as common in road engines.

I could be way off but I expect he's going to get at least 8 - 10 mpg average. Less loaded, more empty. Right foot is key. We were getting in the 6's 30 years ago with less horsepower and technology.

a-non-consecutive-non-sequitur-150757121

Edited by RPM
  • Like 1

OK, this is probably the wrong thread but I feel it belongs in here. I knew Damon from first grade. Both our fathers drove trucks so we had a lot in common. He was a big burly guy that looked like a bear even in elementary, but he was always smiling, laughing and telling jokes. He was a lot of fun to be around and a great guy to work with. He always hustled. In the mid 80's I worked for Damon's father for a couple of years, Damon owned an old purple Pete with a 1693 Cat back then. He met Sharron while we were working together. They didn't date for long before they got married. Damon knew a good thing when he saw it. That was 30 years ago. They had 4 kids and 4 grandchildren. Last week Sharron past away after losing a fight with cancer. A week to the day, Damon died from a massive heart attack. 

OK, this is probably the wrong thread but I feel it belongs in here. I knew Damon from first grade. Both our fathers drove trucks so we had a lot in common. He was a big burly guy that looked like a bear even in elementary, but he was always smiling, laughing and telling jokes. He was a lot of fun to be around and a great guy to work with. He always hustled. In the mid 80's I worked for Damon's father for a couple of years, Damon owned an old purple Pete with a 1693 Cat back then. He met Sharron while we were working together. They didn't date for long before they got married. Damon knew a good thing when he saw it. That was 30 years ago. They had 4 kids and 4 grandchildren. Last week Sharron past away after losing a fight with cancer. A week to the day, Damon died from a massive heart attack. 

Fuck cancer.

And the 1693 was a really shitty engine. 1 huge head for that inline 6 was troublesome. By comparison, the Cummins had 3 heads.

Sad story about Damon. But not entirely. Dude found his match and had what, I get from the story, a happy life with someone he loved.
It’s amazing how many stories there are out there about someone losing their spouse and then dying very shortly after.

Is there some tradition/superstition that truckers take part in before they drive a new rig?  Similar to breaking a champagne bottle on a new ship or something. 

Im thinking snorting biker crank off the dash, or jerking off in the drivers seat or something.