Cord Cutters Thread

7 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I was leaning YTTV based on initial but 3 would definitely be an issue.   Is that standard?  Do others offer more?

Once you set your home device, you can have 5 simultaneous streams with PSVue.  It used to be that one of those devices had to be a Playstation, but I can't tell from the Vue website if that still is the case.

Edited by dcbc

A thread on Reddit says that TV apps don't count against your streams. I'll test that at some point but that would open up a lot of flexibility.

Also for YTTV subscribers: keep an eye on your email for an offer for a Google Nest Hub promo for $49.

https://store.google.com/us/product/google_nest_hub?hl=en-US

Hoping to get the email soon because the wife has wanted a "kitchen TV" and this would be perfect.

LHN IPTV??

Still loving YTTV...truly love it.  So great to pop on a World Cup game on my NVIDIA Shield at home, the pick it up on my phone on the way to work, then on my work PC.  I love that on the browser at work I can open multiple windows and they all stream glitchless.

But the inevitable eye twitching is starting since I don't get LHN.  Anyone running Android TV or NVIDIA Shield have a good IPTV service for LHN they recommend?

I still can't believe it took me so long to punt DirectTV. I don't care about the price jump...still a great service at a way better price.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DCLonghorn said:

LHN IPTV??

yeah, I loaded "The Players Club" IPTV on my FireBox and watched LHN through it as well as other subscriber cable channels such as all the ESPN channels, FOX sports channels, FOXnews (but I like the free ROKU FOX news format better than the live version), some PPV events, etc.  I dont watch a lot of TV - even the LHN - so that's about all I tried on the IPTV. 

I had the IPTV as a separate program than the Koddi setup (which has its own media player) so I needed to load a media player on the Firebox separately as well. Since I dont watch tv very much (listen to AM radio much more), I ended up letting the IPTV service lapse after the season even though it only cost about $5/month. I will likely decide in August if I will restart the same IPTV or try a different one. However, I will probably end up with the Player's Club again since it did everything I needed and a lot more that I didnt try.  

Edited by Soldierhorn

21 hours ago, DCLonghorn said:

LHN IPTV??

Still loving YTTV...truly love it.  So great to pop on a World Cup game on my NVIDIA Shield at home, the pick it up on my phone on the way to work, then on my work PC.  I love that on the browser at work I can open multiple windows and they all stream glitchless.

But the inevitable eye twitching is starting since I don't get LHN.  Anyone running Android TV or NVIDIA Shield have a good IPTV service for LHN they recommend?

I still can't believe it took me so long to punt DirectTV. I don't care about the price jump...still a great service at a way better price.

It is in the ESPN App, right? then just cast to TV?

Edited by NoName

7 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Projecting out, we are headed for consumers having to buy 2-3 different services in order to get the content they want, because much of the content will be exclusive. $50 x 3 = back to $150 per month.

There will always be those that will over pay for convenience reasons or to impress other people. 

6 hours ago, Okie State said:

Do you guys really watch TV that much? I just find myself not giving a shit about 99% of what is on these days.

yeah, it's impressive. People will pay $100, $150, $200 a month and then whine that they only watch 5 channels.  There is no way people can watch THAT much tv and get anything done at all.  amazing

6 hours ago, Okie State said:
7 hours ago, tbone_ said:
I think eventually the ISP cable companies are going to be the ones to jack the rates to Bolivia.

This will happen and everyone needs internet access so they'll get away with it. Surprised it hasn't already happened.

I dont think that will happen.  Once enough low orbit satellites are up and working, 5G will become ubiquitous and will change the current paradigm. If anything, internet price will likely go down in price.  

• Like 1

I dont think that will happen.  Once enough low orbit satellites are up and working, 5G will become ubiquitous and will change the current paradigm. If anything, internet price will likely go down in price.  
Hope you're right. Can't wait for 5G.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Soldierhorn said:

Guess you haven't seen the carriers plans to increase price for 5G coverage. 

1 hour ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Guess you haven't seen the carriers plans to increase price for 5G coverage. 

Sarcasm?  anyway... yes I have seen it and that will work for a while. But once a couple of thousand satellites are in low orbit, you will be able to connect to any country just as easy, if not easier,  then you can now in this country.  You can get better internet in other countries now and it's much cheaper at the same time.  Once you take away who owns what towers, and what lines and the few current high orbit digital communication satellites, then true competition should win out. At that point, carriers in the US will not or should not be able to extort high prices in the near future.

On 7/1/2019 at 5:21 PM, Dbeasy said:

Projecting out, we are headed for consumers having to buy 2-3 different services in order to get the content they want, because much of the content will be exclusive. $50 x 3 = back to $150 per month.

And that will create a demand for a viewing service that aggregates across multiple content providers and offers just one bill for the consumer.  I wonder what they'll call it.  

Here you go cable junkies... 

There I was, last night I as was awatchin' channel 36 (KXAN) out of Austin and there was a banner streaming along the bottom of the screen that said something to the effect that Direct-TV and U-Verse discontinued broadcasting KXAN.  Yeah, people paying high dollar for local channels and it gets turned off.  hahaha  And, here I be, watching Austin channels for free in HD over the air with an antenna in my attic from Killeen.  smh 

Looks like it was only DirecTv Now and only Nextar owned stations. On the other hand they added a bunch of Sinclair and Scripps owned locals. More corporate 3D chess.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/atts-directv-now-is-adding-more-sinclair-scripps-owned-abc-cbs-fox-nbc-locals/

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/atts-directv-now-drops-nexstar-owned-abc-cbs-fox-nbc-locals/

On 7/1/2019 at 6:31 PM, Okie State said:

Do you guys really watch TV that much? I just find myself not giving a shit about 99% of what is on these days.

I cut all premiums last year. I haven't really missed it much at all, being exclusively TV for the poors. Not gonna do streaming, even if my internet wasn't so shitty that it isn't even viable for me. I'm not going to pay four or five different subsriptions for the four or five mediocre shows/channels I would actually enjoy. I'll just enjoy the anticipation of those rare things that are actually worth shelling out a few bucks for a show on disc.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DougO said:

I cut all premiums last year. I haven't really missed it much at all, being exclusively TV for the poors. Not gonna do streaming, even if my internet wasn't so shitty that it isn't even viable for me. I'm not going to pay four or five different subsriptions for the four or five mediocre shows/channels I would actually enjoy. I'll just enjoy the anticipation of those rare things that are actually worth shelling out a few bucks for a show on disc.

agree 100%.... however, a couple of one time purchases such as ROKU and Firebox are well worth it for a ton of free content. some I was already watching on cable and surprised they were free on on either ROKU or Firebox. . 

So without Direct TV remotes now, what sort of universal remote are you all using?  Don't need anything fancy.  When you google all of these $100+ Logitech remotes come up which defeats the purpose of saving money cord cutting when buying for several different TV's

The remote for the Roku stick controls my LG TV, Vizio soundbar, and Roku stick just fine. My one system that has Roku, Apple TV, receiver, Xbox etc I still use the same Logitech Harmony 650 I’ve used forever. You can usually find deals on them.

3 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I also just use my Samsung TV remote (the new one which is really small and basic) to control my ATV since CEC is enabled on everything. Controls my receiver volume too.

It works well for what I’ve got.

IR-7910G.jpg

That's what I've got. Simple and works well with my other devices.

Dish just raised my bill by almost $40 a month because some promos expired.  They haven't had HBO since November and will never have AT&T sports net.  Those two aren't really their fault because AT&T is the devil, but it's made me get a Roku and find other ways to watch the Astros.  I like the channel selection on Vue a little better, but can't find any streaming services that carry PBS.  Is the PBS channel on Roku and their website the only options for that?  We watch a ton of PBS shows so it would suck losing them as a normal channel.

VPN and mlb.tv for the Astros.  There is also reddit streams or if you know someone who has uverse that will give you their login for att sportsnet.  The att player is kind of shitty from what I have seen though.  It likes to drop from HD to SD a lot for no reason.  We don't watch a lot of live tv, so not being able to record ota PBS shows won't work too well for us.  The Roku channel would be better, but all of the shows we watch aren't on it unfortunately.

Edited by kevwun

I did some googling and it if you donate $5 a month to PBS you get something called PBS passport which gives you access to more shows and more of the PBS library on the PBS channel on Roku.  I think that could work for us.

Edited by kevwun

39 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Dish just raised my bill by almost $40 a month because some promos expired.  They haven't had HBO since November and will never have AT&T sports net.  Those two aren't really their fault because AT&T is the devil, but it's made me get a Roku and find other ways to watch the Astros.  I like the channel selection on Vue a little better, but can't find any streaming services that carry PBS.  Is the PBS channel on Roku and their website the only options for that?  We watch a ton of PBS shows so it would suck losing them as a normal channel.

PBS has announced they will have more and more of their content on streaming services in the future.  They are working on it now.  They are just really slow to the game, and have a trickier time as they have to negotiate with each station. I have Android TV/NVIDIA Shield and have the PBS app downloaded.  It has a good bit, but not a huge amount of VOD stuff for the kiddies...Super Why, etc.  And you can watch shows that air on Big PBS an hour or so after it airs...The wife was hitting refresh like a feind for The Crown.  We get just enough PBS content on the app to be content.

Edited by DCLonghorn

On 7/16/2019 at 2:08 PM, Js1 said:

Tbh, I'm getting tired of DTV Now.  The volume inconsistency SUCKS at commercials. 

What device are you using to stream?  I haven’t noticed anything on any of my apple devices.