Cord Cutters Thread

1 hour ago, Nonbryan said:

Currently with DTVNOW using Apple 4k, thinking about trying PSVUE and maybe Roku?  Any thoughts on those?

I like Vue a lot.  Was at a friend's house who had Roku, which apparently has a guide in its Vue app now.  A little different than Firebox, but an improvement over the old Vue App on the Roku.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2018 at 9:50 PM, Nonbryan said:

Currently with DTVNOW using Apple 4k, thinking about trying PSVUE and maybe Roku?  Any thoughts on those?

I have Vue on roku in one room and fire stick in another. I actually prefer the guide and set up on the roku app, but I like the remote/voice functionality on the fire stick better. 

Just finally found an answer to an issue I've been having for the past month or so and wanted to share with anyone who might be having a similar issue, and to see if y'all have any suggestions for me. I use my parents' TWC (now Spectrum) login to authenticate on various websites and Roku apps (including ESPN, AMC, NBC, Fox, Discovery, etc). About a month ago, many of these stopped allowing me to view content. After hours on the phone with Spectrum and getting elevated to the "advanced technical team", they finally told me that some of the content providers have started only allowing their content to be watched from the home location of the account. So, no ESPN, AMC, NBC for me. For now, I can do without as I have Netflix, Prime, and an antenna, but when college football season comes around, I'm gonna be scrambling to get ESPN. Any suggestions for workarounds? Surely others have come across this issue?

10 hours ago, Updawg said:

Just saw Vue is losing all Sinclair channels

Yeah, that's CBS in Austin, a couple of stations in Beaumont, one in Amarillo, one in San Antonio.  I think that's it for Texas. 

Cancelled Vue, will likely try YT when football starts back up.  Overall, I was pretty happy with it but would like to see how other ones work.

In the meantime, I'm trying to decide on a system for streaming OTA channels around the house and out to our backyard projector.  I have a friend who uses one of the silicondust boxes and likes it, but I am leaning toward the Tivo Roamio because I like the interface.  I know Tableau is a similar product but it doesn't seem to be as popular.

5 hours ago, Chips O'Toole said:

Cancelled Vue, will likely try YT when football starts back up.  Overall, I was pretty happy with it but would like to see how other ones work.

In the meantime, I'm trying to decide on a system for streaming OTA channels around the house and out to our backyard projector.  I have a friend who uses one of the silicondust boxes and likes it, but I am leaning toward the Tivo Roamio because I like the interface.  I know Tableau is a similar product but it doesn't seem to be as popular.

I have a Tablo 2 channel box.  It works really well.  Just run the antenna to the box, add a hard drive and stream it to the Tablo app on the TVs or to a Tablo channel in Plex. 

i tried DirectTV Now and the lack of a usable DVR renders it useless for me.  Vue has been the winner when compared with Sling and DTV for my mainly sports viewing.

What does piss me off is the vast differences in apps for the same service.  Vue on the PS4 has a great guide, but no 10 second skip function and a very slow FF.  A bitch when switching to start a live program from the beginning.  PS4 Vue also has a 3 screen PIP which is great for football season.

The Vue app on Apple 4K TV has a slightly less attractive guide (too much movement and no video screen) and no PIP function.  What it does do is treat your DVR programs like a live buffer, you can jump through ten channels of shows and it will keep your place on each program.  Basically acting like 10 live buffers instead of the traditional 2 on most DVR hardware boxes.

Roku has gotten better, but for a time was terrible and hard to use.  It still has a different look and function, same as the Amazon fire (which is better than the Roku).

Sony needs to take the best features from each and make that the standard across all hardware platforms

My Fire TV’s have all the sudden become really jumpy with all kinds of issues with my harmony remotes.  Can’t tell if it’s the Fire TV’s or the remotes that have the issue.

Have one in the living room and one in the master and both started doing it about the same time.  They will start fast forwarding or rewinding like super fast even when I just tap it.  They disconnect and reconnect all the time on their own.  They’re a beating.

Anyone else having this problem?

On 4/26/2018 at 8:14 PM, Godzillatron said:

Agree.  Thought MLBtv would cover the hole but MLB's arcane and idiotic blackout rules make it fairly useless for the local team. 

yonder.tv is smart dns that gets around blackout rules.  It's not easy to configure on firetv but you can set it up on your router very easily if you have admin access to your router.

I’ve got both YouTubeTV and DTVnow. Only have DTVnow for HBO and a little better channel lineup.  IMO Youtube TV is hands down better in terms of picture quality, DVR and guide. Once they get a better channel lineup it’ll be totally awesome. What I fucking hate is using my Appletv remote. I miss my “back” button. It’s a beating having to navigate channels with it. 

On 3/31/2018 at 8:03 PM, SDG said:

Not cable cutting, but if you watch sports at bars download the Tunity app.  Take a pic of the TV and magically the sound appears...

Thanks for the pro tip....just downloaded and worked on first channel I pointed it too...look forward to trying it crowded bar/restaurant.

On 4/21/2018 at 8:25 AM, phdhorn said:

.Rageaholic type question, but some of yous guys might know:

All we get now from cable co. is of course internet.  However, still renting my modem from them, deciding that I want to can that extra $10 per month and buy one.  Sphinctrum (er, Spectrum) has a list of about 12 modems they say you can buy which will work with them.  Most of them are Arris, Netgear, or Zoom.

My question:  is it advisable to buy only one of those listed, or am I free to buy some other kind?  What's the standard? Spectrum simply lists "DOCSIS 3.0 Modems".   

I don't have a problem with buying one of them (listed here).  But I want to make sure 1) I'm getting something with more up to date standards so it doesn't go obsolete sooner, and 2) of course, reliable.

The company router they gave me (Arris) does pretty well, 1-2 quick burps, but otherwise working great.

Thanks.

bought this Docsis 3.0 modem to use with Timewarner in April of '16 and now it still works with Spectrum.  Seems to be fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AJHDZSI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BTW, I have my own router from before so this, above, is just a cable modem that then plugs into my OOMA Telo device for IP phones and then into my wireless router.

Edited by zork

On 4/4/2018 at 3:54 PM, Whitman said:

Is there a website where you can check off which channels you would want to watch/buy and it will give you the price from each service?

I ultimately used this link to decide. 

https://www.fomopop.com/guides/live-tv-streaming

It was a question, for me, of how to get LHN and the ESPN channels including ESPNU.(Sling had reg ESPN and ESPN2 but not U)

Went with VUE.  Had it about a week and like it so far.  Went to bed early last night and DVR'd the Warriors/Rockets game.  Watched it early, early this morning.  Pretty sweet.  Got the $45+ tax 'Core package'.  So far so good.

Edited by zork

1 hour ago, jofus said:

Looks like DVR is rolling out on DTV Now today. Apple devices and chromecast first:

https://help.directvnow.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005970363-An-enhanced-DIRECTV-NOW-experience

not gonna lie...the last time I even played with the beat, it resembled anything but a DVR. couldnt rewind/fast forward live tv which to me is huge. way more important than saving shows that end up on demand anyways.

I didn’t know this before today:

i have hated the DTVN DVR on the beta because the interface with the ATV remote is dumb. However, you can go into the app and select universal remote, which I hope will help with navigation. 

Just left Hulu before my first month ended and now on direct tv now, it is night and day better than Hulu. I had the top Hulu package and i couldn’t stream on 2 TVs, it was always clipping, with direct tv now everything is so crisp and clean. I also love that i am getting an Apple TV free for pre paying 3 months

16 minutes ago, lonestar3 said:

what the fuck am I missing here in this update process? I've got auto-updates on my Apple TV, but am not seeing any new guide or DVR option. Do I need to do something to prompt this? 

I'm retarded. Got it. 

8 hours ago, 1978horn said:

Looks like you still only get 20 hours of recording.  Which may not be a huge problem with all the on demand programs now, but if you want to keep things forever will start to be a problem.

Good thing it only saves for 30 days. 

22 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

not gonna lie...the last time I even played with the beat, it resembled anything but a DVR. couldnt rewind/fast forward live tv which to me is huge. way more important than saving shows that end up on demand anyways.

One thing I like about the system though is that if a recording is running, you can click on it (to stop it) and a time line appears across the bottom (a la YouTube).  You can then move a cursor over any point in the video (designated by timeline) and click to start it from there  - forward or backward.  Although it's a little broad (hard to pinpoint exact time point) it's really handy.  You almost don't need rewind/ff, etc.

Not sure if this feature works on live TV, I'll check.

Edited by phdhorn

4 minutes ago, texas08 said:

I still can’t fucking log in to directv now after this new update. WTF.

have you tried turning it off and back on again? /roy 

jk

however, it wouldn't hurt to remove and reinstall. do you have the same problem when logging into the browser version?

I still can’t fucking log in to directv now after this new update. WTF.

Had the same problem. Go login to your AT&T account and change your user ID. Worked fine after. I read some grumblings that they broke the logins if you used to have a DTV account with the same email address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:03 AM, KYHorn said:

Just finally found an answer to an issue I've been having for the past month or so and wanted to share with anyone who might be having a similar issue, and to see if y'all have any suggestions for me. I use my parents' TWC (now Spectrum) login to authenticate on various websites and Roku apps (including ESPN, AMC, NBC, Fox, Discovery, etc). About a month ago, many of these stopped allowing me to view content. After hours on the phone with Spectrum and getting elevated to the "advanced technical team", they finally told me that some of the content providers have started only allowing their content to be watched from the home location of the account. So, no ESPN, AMC, NBC for me. For now, I can do without as I have Netflix, Prime, and an antenna, but when college football season comes around, I'm gonna be scrambling to get ESPN. Any suggestions for workarounds? Surely others have come across this issue?

I use my IPAD when this happens on my Roku and haven't had any issues. 

2 minutes ago, Doc Holliday said:

I use my IPAD when this happens on my Roku and haven't had any issues. 

Good suggestion, however, they must be able to verify that you are at the home location where the service is provided (my parents' house), so I can use a private browser, incognito mode, or any other device but it won't authenticate unless I'm connected to the home wifi. TWC said it's the content providers' decision (I assume it's more like a contract negotiation) and to take it up with them.

• Fuck You 1

Had the same problem. Go login to your AT&T account and change your user ID. Worked fine after. I read some grumblings that they broke the logins if you used to have a DTV account with the same email address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy shit dude, thank you!

How can they fuck this up so bad. Tons of people bitching them out on social media.

AT&T Uverse bill going up again, just like it has every few months, despite the fact I'm on a fixed rate contract. They keep saying it's "taxes". That, combined with horribly inconsistent internet speeds has me fed up. I had a chance to use the MIL's DirectTV. Wow, what a shithole service. Half the channels you have to scroll thru are informercials. They intersperse them throughout the channel line-up. Talk about providing a terrible customer experience that guarantees your demise. They are definitely on that track.

So, when we move, I'm cutting the cord.  And I am probably one of the most heavy users of cable over the years. They've managed to even alienate people like me.

On 3/26/2018 at 3:17 PM, TxEx84 said:

Vue does have LHN, but DTVNow does not.

Is this confirmed? Google searches are conflicting. I don't see it on the list of programs.

I have UVerse U200 with HBO with a total of 4 HD boxes and 1 dvr.  Since I have AT&T for my cell, I get HBO free + $25 off Uverse.

But my total bill is $122.

I'm thinking of dropping UVerse and going PS Vue.  The GUI on UVerse sucks.  I think that's one of the biggest problems that the cable companies have; their GUIs suck.  It's so much easier to browse Amazon or Netflix. I accidentally ran across "The Town" on IFC a few weeks ago and was like "I can watch this".  I saw it was coming on later that day and I DVR'ed it.  But if I didn't go down on my channel button instead of up, I woudln't have known.

The only issue I have with Vue is my gameroom is far from my router.  I recently bought a Netgear Nighthawk router which sends a better signal than the AT&T router but the tv up there uses a cable box.  Now that would have to stream.  How will that be for an 84" projection screen...

Edited by RD3

According to their channel listings:

PS Vue (with LHN)

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/channels/?smcid=explore-channels:cover:pdc:network:vue:home

DirectTV Now shows LHN for certain markets now.  You have to go to Regional Sports Network (RSN) lookup:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/packProg/attLocalChannels.jsp?assetId=att_cms_local_channels

6 hours ago, RD3 said:

Is this confirmed? Google searches are conflicting. I don't see it on the list of programs.

I have UVerse U200 with HBO with a total of 4 HD boxes and 1 dvr.  Since I have AT&T for my cell, I get HBO free + $25 off Uverse.

But my total bill is $122.

I'm thinking of dropping UVerse and going PS Vue.  The GUI on UVerse sucks.  I think that's one of the biggest problems that the cable companies have; their GUIs suck.  It's so much easier to browse Amazon or Netflix. I accidentally ran across "The Town" on IFC a few weeks ago and was like "I can watch this".  I saw it was coming on later that day and I DVR'ed it.  But if I didn't go down on my channel button instead of up, I woudln't have known.

The only issue I have with Vue is my gameroom is far from my router.  I recently bought a Netgear Nighthawk router which sends a better signal than the AT&T router but the tv up there uses a cable box.  Now that would have to stream.  How will that be for an 84" projection screen...

122 with intergoogles, too?  Uverse apparently is dead in Dallas, everything moved to DTV.

I'm on Charter Spectrum currently, but they charge $70+ for intergoogles so cord cutting is a wash for me.

1 hour ago, Updawg said:

Looks like I have the go big package. Ha

Check that link with your zip and see if it shows up for you

For non Texas residents you can still get LHN with DTVnow but you have to use the WatchESPN app.