Cord Cutters Thread

Anyone having trouble lately streaming with Comcast 1G service in Houston? Picture gets fuzzy off and on and it buffers every few minutes.

I’ve had to tweak my WiFi setup on AT&T Gigabit Fiber to get streaming to be smooth everywhere. I hardwire what I can and position my mesh nodes as strategically as possible. I still need to do a little more tweaking: a HD PPV movie tonight on Apple TV got blurry occasionally.

In other news: I noticed this weekend that YTTV provides in-game stats and scores (at least on the Roku stick). Kinda cool.

I was reminded this weekend how cord cutting still isn’t ready for the wide audience.  A friend bought a new 4K tv and we used the fox sports app to attempt to watch the Astros in 4K. He has U-verse but U-verse was HD only.  

The Fox Sports app on the tv froze every minute.   We bounced over to U-verse to watch the game.    Now maybe it was a bad internet connection or 4K was the problem but he’s not going back to try that app again. And he definitely isn’t cutting cable tv.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I was reminded this weekend how cord cutting still isn’t ready for the wide audience.  A friend bought a new 4K tv and we used the fox sports app to attempt to watch the Astros in 4K. He has U-verse but U-verse was HD only.  

The Fox Sports app on the tv froze every minute.   We bounced over to U-verse to watch the game.    Now maybe it was a bad internet connection or 4K was the problem but he’s not going back to try that app again. And he definitely isn’t cutting cable tv.

guys, the Fox Sports app has nothing at all to do with cutting the cord.

zip

zero

nada

you get access to it through your "cable" subscription - in his case it was through Uverse - you don't pay any more or less for access to the Fox Sports app.

and 4k has had its issues before - https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/27/20886839/nfl-4k-hdr-fox-sports-failure-format-comcast-dish-4k

what he was doing was not at all "cord cutting" - it was just using an app to stream a game.

if he tried to stream it on YTTV or Vue and it did that? sure. 

but nobody is streaming sports in 4k via any "service" (satellite, "cable" or cord cutting services) AFAIK

I’ve probably mentioned this before but I really like that the Roku app let’s you stream audio through your phone while watching video on the TV. That means I can use my AirPods and watch TV early or late without making any noise, or watch shows with colorful language without the kids overhearing. It could open some interesting options for diverting your TV audio to Bluetooth systems.

• Like 2

Sony looking to sell its PlayStation Vue streaming service because it's losing money. We'll see how it pans out.

... it’s unclear whether Sony’s programming contracts would transfer to PlayStation Vue’s new owner after a sale.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/25/20932088/sony-playstation-vue-sale-streaming-war-competiton-content-cost

I’ve probably mentioned this before but I really like that the Roku app let’s you stream audio through your phone while watching video on the TV. That means I can use my AirPods and watch TV early or late without making any noise, or watch shows with colorful language without the kids overhearing. It could open some interesting options for diverting your TV audio to Bluetooth systems.

I did not know this
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, skeeter said:

Sony looking to sell its PlayStation Vue streaming service because it's losing money. We'll see how it pans out.

Came to post this as well. Wonder what, if anything, it will mean for LHN. PS Vue is one of only 2 streaming options that carries LHN (the other being AT&T/DirecTV/whatever).

I think the model of companies offering large bundles with 40+ channels is going to die. That's basically just cable and fewer and fewer people want that. I mean, I'm paying 60 fucking bucks for PS Vue so I can watch a handful of football game every weekend and that's it. It's going to trend toward slimmer options with lower prices like Netflix, Disney+, etc. What that means for live sports is anyone's guess.

Also, "Playstation" branding was probably a mistake from the beginning. That never made any sense to me.

On 10/21/2019 at 9:27 AM, NoName said:

guys, the Fox Sports app has nothing at all to do with cutting the cord.

zip

zero

nada

you get access to it through your "cable" subscription - in his case it was through Uverse - you don't pay any more or less for access to the Fox Sports app.

and 4k has had its issues before - https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/27/20886839/nfl-4k-hdr-fox-sports-failure-format-comcast-dish-4k

what he was doing was not at all "cord cutting" - it was just using an app to stream a game.

if he tried to stream it on YTTV or Vue and it did that? sure. 

but nobody is streaming sports in 4k via any "service" (satellite, "cable" or cord cutting services) AFAIK

This post is completely wrong.  Apps have everything to do with the perception of moving away from cable tv regardless how of the source of the app sign-in.  When people see that streaming services suck compared with cable, they will never get rid of cable.

but then again I have no idea what point you’re trying to make.

On 10/26/2019 at 1:09 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

This post is completely wrong.  Apps have everything to do with the perception of moving away from cable tv regardless how of the source of the app sign-in.  When people see that streaming services suck compared with cable, they will never get rid of cable.

but then again I have no idea what point you’re trying to make.

perception of it? yes

actual being cord cutting? absolutely not.

the point is that what he is complaining about and will never cut the cord as a result is totally and completely uninformed. 

On 10/26/2019 at 11:36 AM, tokamak said:

Came to post this as well. Wonder what, if anything, it will mean for LHN. PS Vue is one of only 2 streaming options that carries LHN (the other being AT&T/DirecTV/whatever).

After trying both YTTV just seems like a far superior product (and I was able to get a friends login for the handful of times I need to see LHN).  If PSVue dies, hopefully LHN will cut some deal to offer it as a stand alone one with other providers.  I think there would be plenty of Texas fans that would pay $5/month for it.   I would be really curious in the economics and negotiations generally as it relates to adding channels for streaming services.  It certainly has to be tricky to offer an affordable product to continue to gain share over traditional cable/satellite providers while still offering enough content to make people comfortable switching.

I saw that youtube tv came out on fire devices, which was the only thing holding me back.  On the free trial now, am definitely going to switch from expensive ass fiber cable.  Am probably going to end up having to buy some stupid CW shows but I'll come out ahead.  Will miss NFL red zone.  Not $100 miss or $150 miss or whatever I'm paying now.  Man using the fire tv remote is so much nicer than that stupid cable remote.

My Firestick has bit the dust for some reason, it will power up, but never gets past the black Amazon screen and then it restarts and the cycle repeats.  I'm debating if i want to get another firestick or get a Roku. Any input? I currently use PSvue for football, Hulu, and Netflix. I plan on dropping Hulu when Disney+ launches since it will be included. 

I understand very little about HBO Max.

HBO Max will include:

• The HBO service
  • An exclusive collection of new programming (Max Originals)
  • Select favorites from WarnerMedia's beloved brands and libraries: Warner Bros., New Line Cinema, DC, CNN, the Turner library, Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth, Looney Tunes and more.
  • A robust selection of acquired series and movies

Launches MAY 2020 for $14.99/month

• will be bundled with ATT TV and include approximately 10,000 hours of content
  • In 2021, ATT plans to introduce an ad-supported version of HBO Max, which also will be bundled with their live TV service, ATT TV.
  • will rely on human recommendations rather than algorithms. “We will never rely on algorithms to serve our customers the best programming.”
  • HBO will be the crown jewel. Existing Original series: Westworld, Succession, The Righteous Gemstones, Barry will be joined by new series The Outsider, Lovecraft Country, The Undoing, Run, Perry Mason, The Plot Against America, Avenue 5, I Know This Much Is True, The Nevers, Mare of Easttown, Gilded Age
  • Will be the exclusive service to stream Sesame Street
  • In the first year, HBO Max will have 1,800 film titles at launch. Global blockbuster franchises including The Matrix, The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Gremlins and the Lego movies will be available in the first year, along with every DC film from the last decade including Aquaman and Joker, and every Batman and Superman movie from the last 40 years
  • Every episode of Friends, The Big Bang Theory, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, South Park, Rick & Morty, The West Wing, Doctor Who, Pretty Little Liars, The O.C. and more.
  • 31 original series in 2020 and 50 in 2021. Will be focused on Kids and Family, Millenials/Gen Z, and Adults (primarily women)
  • Will house classic films from Warner Brothers, MGM, Criterion Collection including Casablanca, Citizen Kane, The Shining, and A Star is Born, Singin’ in the Rain, 2001: A Space Odyssey - and many more.
  • Game of Thrones prequel, House of the Dragon will be coming to HBO Max

Features and Functionality

Throughout the year after its initial launch, HBO Max will roll out a variety of new features and functionality not found on any other streaming platforms today, including:

• Recommended By Humans – HBO Max will combine Human Powered Discovery and analytics in novel ways to make it much easier for viewers to quickly find the content they are passionate about. Here, talent and influencers will make recommendations to our users about content they love, in the form of short, authentic videos to talk about how they’ve fallen in love with it and why.
  • Co-Viewing – Research shows that many viewers are aware of how viewing with others can throw off their recommendations. HBO Max is solving this co-viewing challenge by allowing viewers to create shared homepages that are completely separate from their personal homepages, but tailored to the group’s likes and needs. They can create shared watch lists and view with members of their household without impacting their personal profiles.

HBO Max will also offer standard direct-to-consumer features, such as:

• Content Hubs – Content hubs feature clusters of content from recognizable brands that attract passionate audiences.
  • Personalized Profiles & Homepages
  • Kids’ profiles and Parental PIN usage
  • Downloads for offline viewing

Pricing and Availability

• $14.99/month
  • HBO NOW subscribers who are billed directly through HBO will also get access to HBO Max, at launch for no extra cost. Offer not currently available to HBO subscribers that obtain their subscriptions through third-party providers that are authorized to distribute the HBO NOW service. AT&T is in active discussions with their distributors and look forward to offering customers seamless access to HBO Max
  • Subscribers who get HBO through ATT video services (such as ATT TV or U-Verse TV) will also get access to HBO Max at no extra charge. Also subscribers of premium ATT mobile and broadband services, will be offered bundles with HBO Max at no extra charge.
  • HBO Max will be available on many popular devices: phones, tablets, Mac and PC browsers, streaming media players and game consoles. More specifics to be provided closer to launch

AT&T Now is going to die as well. It's bleeding customers (down almost 40% from its peak) and AT&T admitted in their last investors' update that they are giving up on customer acquisition. The plan is to just keep raising prices in the hopes of offsetting the falling subscriber numbers (I'm not making that up).

That matters because with Vue gone, AT&T the only streaming service with LHN. If it dies before next football season (seems possible), and LHN doesn't sign any new deals (seems likely), the only way to watch LHN will be a traditional cable package or illegal means.

2 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Does YouTube TV have all 4 local channels in Austin?   I have liked Vue a lot once I figured out and got comfortable with the interface on AppleTV.  

Similar. Loved the interface on my Nvidia Shield. HATED it on my Roku. 

YoutubeTV is the winner for me.. from a cost/options stand point. Hulu just doesn't have all the channels I want. Heck auctually neither do, but I'm deciding how much I really want some of those scribbs networks if I'm adding Philo back.. 

But I'm staying on Vue until it does.. if LHN gets a football game and I don't have it.. the wife would not be happy. 

Edited by msudawg

44 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I understand very little about HBO Max.

I don't really either. It's the same price as HBO NOW with more content. Ok... I guess they are replacing HBO Now then effectively. 

Either way, Youtube Tv doesn't have have HBO as an addon so will have to do HBO now when I change.

15 minutes ago, msudawg said:

I don't really either. It's the same price as HBO NOW with more content. Ok... I guess they are replacing HBO Now then effectively. 

Either way, Youtube Tv doesn't have have HBO as an addon so will have to do HBO now when I change.

I *think* I automatically get HBO Max with the free HBO through AT&T cell service.  But I could also be charged $14.99 and it would somehow make sense because AT&T and HBO have been very confusing with the marketing. 

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Also curious about this for Dallas.  Anyone?

3 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Does YouTube TV have all 4 local channels in Austin?   I have liked Vue a lot once I figured out and got comfortable with the interface on AppleTV.  

a huge part of YTTV's roll out was having the local channels where they chose to roll out.

AFAIK it has all locals in Austin, Dallas and San Antonio.

1 hour ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

No mention of DirecTV HBO subscribers? I am assuming this is an oversight and that we will also get access to HBO Max?

Well, it says At&t tv customers will get HBO Max, and since Direct TV is owned by At&t, I would imagine you will get access. But its at&t, so you never know. 

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

So want to switch from Uverse to YTTV. Can ATT internet handle the streaming? I don’t want to have buffering every damn minute. I have whatever the best internet ATT offers

I have the worst internet in the world, 5 down, and I stream fine. Just try it out for a week for free and see how it goes. Cancel if it sucks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

So want to switch from Uverse to YTTV. Can ATT internet handle the streaming? I don’t want to have buffering every damn minute. I have whatever the best internet ATT offers

do the trial with YTTV and make sure it will work right - can't see any reason it wouldn't but do the trial before dumping it

6 hours ago, MoJames said:

I have the worst internet in the world, 5 down, and I stream fine. Just try it out for a week for free and see how it goes. Cancel if it sucks.

4 hours ago, NoName said:

do the trial with YTTV and make sure it will work right - can't see any reason it wouldn't but do the trial before dumping it

Good advice. Thanks

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Quagmire said:

Dtv now price going up again, signed up when they started for their forever price of 25 bucks, now it’s going up to 60. Cunts

I never got an email.  I'm in the grandfathered Go Big!.  Do they raise that $15 and then offset by giving me HBO Max for free?  If so, that's only $5 because I was paying $10/mo for HBO already.  I can handle that until the inevitable announcement that they're folding it all into DTV proper.

3 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I never got an email.  I'm in the grandfathered Go Big!.  Do they raise that $15 and then offset by giving me HBO Max for free?  If so, that's only $5 because I was paying $10/mo for HBO already.  I can handle that until the inevitable announcement that they're folding it all into DTV proper.

I never technically got my email either.

I currently pay $50 for my Live a Little plan, grandfathered, with a $25 AT&T discount.  Depending on when your billing cycle is, you may not get the new rate until December.  I talked to them and mine is going $50 to $60 ($35 with discount) and continued free HBO starting in my December bill. 

I think if you have HBO through AT&T TV Now, either paying for it or free through your mobile plan, then you are going to get HBO Max free.   I think.  I have no fucking idea. 

Edited by Js1

6 hours ago, Your Mom said:

At least PSVUE got me through another football season. After football I drop it all and just use an antenna for locals and Netflix and Prime.  No service needed again until August and hopefully LHN lands somewhere new by then. 

Yeah, looks like YoutubeTV for us starting in February.  Bummer.  I liked Vue.

I never technically got my email either.
I currently pay $50 for my Live a Little plan, grandfathered, with a $25 AT&T discount.  Depending on when your billing cycle is, you may not get the new rate until December.  I talked to them and mine is going $50 to $60 ($35 with discount) and continued free HBO starting in my December bill. 
I think if you have HBO through AT&T TV Now, either paying for it or free through your mobile plan, then you are going to get HBO Max free.   I think.  I have no fucking idea. 

All I know is I’m hammering AT&T customer support until they offset the entirety of the increase for the year.

I have YTTV, loving it so far. I am vetting it for my Father in Law. I found some answers on their Help site, but figured I would ask here for more specifics if anyone knows.

First, there is no limit on the number of devices right? Just that you can't watch more than 3 at the same time. They have their home, a place in AZ, an office, and a place on a lake in Northern MI, and he wants to use this in all locations but would never use more than 3 at the same time. 

Geographic location - I see that you can update your "home area" but can't do it more than twice a year so you can receive local broadcasts. There is also an "Update playback area" functionality. Anyone know if this is limited? https://support.google.com/youtubetv/answer/7129768

They are olds so they like the voice enablement capability they currently have on Comcast. I'm not sure what they're using but they like to say "Go to NBC" and it goes to NBC. I briefly tried this with the Alexa on my voice app but no luck. I see voice commands can work on phones, but what about a smart tv or a fire tv or roku, etc?