Cord Cutters Thread

11 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

122 with intergoogles, too?  Uverse apparently is dead in Dallas, everything moved to DTV.

I'm on Charter Spectrum currently, but they charge $70+ for intergoogles so cord cutting is a wash for me.

Insane. AT&T is headquartered in Dallas.

But I talked to AT&T about a year ago to change some service and they were clearly trying to move me to DTV which I don't want. And then I dawned on me that AT&T bought DTV for a reason. They want to move cable tv to the satellites to likely clear up their fiber bandwidth to internet...

11 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

122 with intergoogles, too?  Uverse apparently is dead in Dallas, everything moved to DTV.

$122 for UVerse. Another $80 or so for internet. Yeah, DTV Now or PS Vue are about to get my business.

I have AT&T for my cell and by doing that we get HBO free (even if I didn't have UVerse) and I get $25 off tv.  And if I move to DTV Now I get $25 off that.  So it seems like a no-brainer...

I'm in the process of watching what I have on my DVR before dropping.

Edited by RD3

YouTube TV still kicking ass for us. Built-in native app on our LG TV is also awesome. Glad we made the switch from Vue even with losing a few channels.

I think I’ve tried all the different streaming options and YouTube has been the best by far in terms of GUI and stream quality. Hope they get LHN

I have 5 tvs with 2 Fire Sticks, 1 of the tvs is a "Roku tv".  So I bought a Roku 4K Ultra for my living room (it was one of the tvs without a fire stick).

I installed it and then I got Directv Now yesterday. "Just Right" $50 package.  The "Live a Little" $35 package I don't think has LHN.  LHN falls in the "regional sports networks".

Just Right has LHN which is a big deal.

I have AT&T for cell phone and my package gives me HBO for free for life (even if I don't have Uverse) but it also gave me $25 off UVerse.  The question that is open (and I called them up and I couldn't tell) is if I'll get $25 off my Directv Now package.  If so, this is a steal.  I was paying $122 per month for 4 cable boxes + HD + DVR + U200 package.  This is not including the internet; $122 for cable.  Done with that now.  I'm watching the last stuff on my DVR that I won't have access to (stuff that I can't stream) and then unplugging all of my cable boxes. AT&T told me I just need to put the boxes + remotes in a bag and head to UPS store with my account # and drop it off and they do the rest.

I officially quit Uverse tv today. I called them up and cancelled (still keeping internet from them), gathered up all of my boxes/power cords/remotes and dropped them off at the UPS Store (free to mail).

DTVNow seems pretty cool so far.  No complaints other than I need to figure out the DVR.  It looks like I need the beta app.

Update... HBO Go stopped working.  This puzzled me because I have AT&T Wireless Unlimited Plus plan and you are supposed to get HBO for free for life.  I called them up and the genius told me it was an older plan and I needed Uverse to have it.  I don't think so.

I did some research and they have a new Unlimited Choice Enhanced plan that was $25 cheaper than my current plan and if I did that I would get HBO free (again) and $15 off Directv Now.  So I switched to that today.

But HBO Go is still not working...  Reading the fine lines...  Not sure if this means I won't get it for 2 months.  Dropping Uverse, adding DTVNow, changing my wireless plan... I'm going to be saving over $100 per month.

HBO® for life*

*Requires maintaining an eligible AT&T Unlimited Enhanced Plan. HBO benefit starts w/in 2 new bills, & may be billed & then credited. Must maintain Plus or Choice Enhanced plan to get HBO benefit.3

Got an email saying I’ve exceeded my data limits on ATT internet. Plan is 1024 gb/month. Called them up and asked them for a waiver because I now have DTVnow and am streaming my tv through them, so I shouldn’t get charged by the same company for using their shit. Jake from Manila submitted the waiver request and it’s pending, but something to think about going forward.

Also requested an upgrade to 1000mbps down with unlimited data (for only $10 more/month) so should be covered if request fails. 

Edited by Fat Bastard

On 5/31/2018 at 4:19 PM, RD3 said:

Update... HBO Go stopped working.  This puzzled me because I have AT&T Wireless Unlimited Plus plan and you are supposed to get HBO for free for life.  I called them up and the genius told me it was an older plan and I needed Uverse to have it.  I don't think so.

I did some research and they have a new Unlimited Choice Enhanced plan that was $25 cheaper than my current plan and if I did that I would get HBO free (again) and $15 off Directv Now.  So I switched to that today.

But HBO Go is still not working...  Reading the fine lines...  Not sure if this means I won't get it for 2 months.  Dropping Uverse, adding DTVNow, changing my wireless plan... I'm going to be saving over $100 per month.

HBO® for life*

*Requires maintaining an eligible AT&T Unlimited Enhanced Plan. HBO benefit starts w/in 2 new bills, & may be billed & then credited. Must maintain Plus or Choice Enhanced plan to get HBO benefit.3

I went to Directv Now chat support and they now have my $15 discount for having AT&T wireless.  And he updated my HBO settings.

I went to HBO Go and logged in via Directv (not Directv now) with my AT&T email and it worked.  I'm in.

20 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

Got an email saying I’ve exceeded my data limits on ATT internet. Plan is 1024 gb/month. Called them up and asked them for a waiver because I now have DTVnow and am streaming my tv through them, so I shouldn’t get charged by the same company for using their shit. Jake from Manila submitted the waiver request and it’s pending, but something to think about going forward.

Also requested an upgrade to 1000mbps down with unlimited data (for only $10 more/month) so should be covered if request fails. 

I noticed that as well. And I was wondering if my DTV Now would eat up my data.  I can't get 1000mbps down b/c of my distance to their box.  But I wonder if I can get the unlimited data plan...

1st week in with Directv Now and I'm really happy.  I'm also happy with the Roku Ultra. I actually like it more than my Fire Stick.  Still don't know why Amazon hasn't added a volume button and tv power button...

My kids have yet to even turn on DTV Now. They use the apps like Cartoon Network (which I think needs my DTV Now at&t account to fully unlock).

• Like 1

On 5/24/2018 at 6:09 AM, Okie State said:

YouTube TV still kicking ass for us. Built-in native app on our LG TV is also awesome. Glad we made the switch from Vue even with losing a few channels.

@Okie State, a couple Qs for you.  1) Are you in the Austin market? and, 2) Does YoutubeTV have ABC/NBC streaming?  Both are blocked on Vue in our market for whatever reason.

[mention=577]Okie State[/mention], a couple Qs for you.  1) Are you in the Austin market? and, 2) Does YoutubeTV have ABC/NBC streaming?  Both are blocked on Vue in our market for whatever reason.

Houston and we do have both. Pretty sure they have a free seven day trial if you want to see what's available in your area.
  • Like 1

On 5/29/2018 at 4:18 PM, RD3 said:

I officially quit Uverse tv today. I called them up and cancelled (still keeping internet from them), gathered up all of my boxes/power cords/remotes and dropped them off at the UPS Store (free to mail).

DTVNow seems pretty cool so far.  No complaints other than I need to figure out the DVR.  It looks like I need the beta app.

I officially quit AT&T today.  I did it while I was stuck on Mopac so I wouldn't rage for the long time it takes to get to the point.  My bill went from $188 for Uverse + gigapower to like $250. I was pissed.  I called yesterday and it took 10 minutes to get to a person and have that person figure out "my promotion period ended after 3 years".  I hung up because the gal was a dingbat.  

I called back when I had more time and got a guy to knock $20 off after 25 minutes of being transferred.  I told them I will be changing.  

We only have two internet providers in the hood: AT&T and Suddenlink.  Supposedly SL has upped their game and I should be able to get 1gbs for $85/mo vs $100 for Uverse.  I could save $30/mo if I go with 400mbs

I am opting for PS Vue so we'll see how this goes.  My wife demands: Local channels, college football, HGTV and ID.  With an antenna and Vue Core ($45)  I should be able to cover her requests.  If I miss HBO and want to get that and showtime back I can add later and still be $100 less than AT&T

• Like 1

I too would like to hear everyones antenna plan.  I guess FOX is the hardest for me to get and that appears to be included with Vue.  NBC is showing fine with a cheap antenna.  I'll check ABC and CBS so I may not need much.  

This is on my main downstairs TV now:

TV Antenna, Indoor HDTV Antenna 50 Mile Range Digital Signal Amplifier Booster Free to View, 16 FT Long Cable support 1080P 4k FreeView, Upgraded 2018 Version

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076DWK1XR/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got one of these and it seems cheap but it seems to work for my upstairs TV.  It supposedly has an 80 mile range so my plan is to mount it in the attic and connect via coax dropped in the wall so it isn't an eyesore.  

Monoprice Foldable Long Range HD8 Outdoor HD Antenna, 80 Mile Range

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24172

Edited by GottaB

I got this one because it can connect to my tv antenna input and basically stay attached.  I live off Bee Cave Rd and I am getting every local station in HD plus some I didn't know we had.

And the only reason I want an antenna is watching local football games I can skip out on my Directv Now which uses data and honestly over the air theoretically is your best quality.  It isn't compressed/decompressed.  When are they going to send 1080p over the air???

https://www.target.com/p/as-seen-on-tv-174-free-way-digital-tv-antenna/-/A-50087663?ref=&ref=OpsEmail_Order_609&j=18268&sfmc_sub=248301577&l=20_HTML&u=5564257&mid=7284873&jb=169894

Questions.

If an OTA signal is broadcast in 1080i, and the native resolution of the TV showing the image is 1080p, is there any difference versus a 1080p signal?  Does the deinterlacing process happening at the TV compromising the signal?

I always heard that ABC/ESPN broadcast in 720p because they believed it better suited the quick movement in live sports.  Is that a throwback to when the only two HD signals being shown were 720p or 1080i?

Or is it all nonsense and motion blur is a product of low frame rate?

11 hours ago, GottaB said:

I too would like to hear everyones antenna plan.  I guess FOX is the hardest for me to get and that appears to be included with Vue.  NBC is showing fine with a cheap antenna.  I'll check ABC and CBS so I may not need much.  

This is on my main downstairs TV now:

TV Antenna, Indoor HDTV Antenna 50 Mile Range Digital Signal Amplifier Booster Free to View, 16 FT Long Cable support 1080P 4k FreeView, Upgraded 2018 Version

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076DWK1XR/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got one of these and it seems cheap but it seems to work for my upstairs TV.  It supposedly has an 80 mile range so my plan is to mount it in the attic and connect via coax dropped in the wall so it isn't an eyesore.  

Monoprice Foldable Long Range HD8 Outdoor HD Antenna, 80 Mile Range

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24172

You'll lose a certain, not insignificant, percentage of your signal strength putting your antenna in the attic versus on the roof.  If you have lots of trees, geographically spread out towers, or any channels that are weaker than others, you need to be sure to point your antenna in the direction that splits the difference for overall best results.  On top of that, if you have weak signals, I highly recommend a preamp at the antenna, particularly if you have a long cable run from antenna to source, i.e., from the attic or roof.  My preamp is from Channel Master (the low gain one, IIRC).

If you're splitting your signal to various TVs, you also should consider an amplifier splitter.

If you're going to run the antenna to multiple TVs, I'd suggest saving yourself the headaches of lots of cable runs and getting a Tablo DVR.  This way, you can do a single cable run (or even put the tablo in the attic. with the antenna assuming you're able to power it and have good wifi reception and internet speed.  At that point, it's just a matter of putting the Tablo or Plex app on your TVs and streaming your locals from the Tablo, not to mention you'll be able to record games.  We have the two channel, and it has been solid.  You have to add a hard drive to it, but you get 24 hours worth of channel guide with no monthly fee.

Also, you can watch live TV and recordings remotely on the Tablo plugin for Plex.

Hope this helps.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, GottaB said:

I officially quit AT&T today.  I did it while I was stuck on Mopac so I wouldn't rage for the long time it takes to get to the point.  My bill went from $188 for Uverse + gigapower to like $250. I was pissed.  I called yesterday and it took 10 minutes to get to a person and have that person figure out "my promotion period ended after 3 years".  I hung up because the gal was a dingbat.  

I called back when I had more time and got a guy to knock $20 off after 25 minutes of being transferred.  I told them I will be changing.  

We only have two internet providers in the hood: AT&T and Suddenlink.  Supposedly SL has upped their game and I should be able to get 1gbs for $85/mo vs $100 for Uverse.  I could save $30/mo if I go with 400mbs

I am opting for PS Vue so we'll see how this goes.  My wife demands: Local channels, college football, HGTV and ID.  With an antenna and Vue Core ($45)  I should be able to cover her requests.  If I miss HBO and want to get that and showtime back I can add later and still be $100 less than AT&T

The fastest AT&T can get in my neighborhood is 50GB download.  I pay $70 per month after taxes for that.

How much is gigawatt for just internet and no tv? I don't have that option but I'm curious...

Did anyone see this announcement from AT&T.  I wonder for those already on an unlimited plan if they will be grandfathered in.

ATT Watch

New “Unlimited &MoreSM Premium” Customers Will Receive a Choice of Another Entertainment Service Like HBO®, Amazon Music, Pandora Premium and More

We were the first wireless provider to pair entertainment and unlimited data. That’s because unlimited is pretty limited without entertainment. So now we’re taking it even further to give you more for your thing.

Days after closing the AT&T*-Time Warner merger, we’re rolling out our newest video offering called WatchTV, available on the nation’s best network for streaming video.i  You can stream through the WatchTV app or on select browsers at no extra cost with our 2 latest unlimited wireless plans. The plans — AT&T Unlimited &MoreSM and AT&T Unlimited &MoreSM Premiumii — are scheduled to launch next week.

WatchTV features 30+ live channels. It's compatible on virtually every current smartphone, tablet or web browser, and certain streaming devices. In addition to live programming, WatchTV has over 15,000 TV shows and movies on demand.

More for Your Thing

With &More Premium, you can also add one of several premium services at no extra charge. Premium services include HBO®, Cinemax, SHOWTIME® or STARZ® as well as music streaming services like Amazon Music Unlimited and Pandora Premium. Fan of anime,tech or gaming? You can choose VRV as your option.

You’ll also get 15GB of high-speed tethering, access to high-definition video, and a $15 monthly credit toward DIRECTV, DIRECTV NOW or U-verse TV.iii 
“We were the first wireless provider to bring entertainment and unlimited data together, and, once again, we’re redefining what that means,” said David Christopher, president, AT&T Mobility and Entertainment. “This is no longer about including one channel or service with your wireless plam. This is an incredible lineup of content that delivers more of what you care about – over 30 live TV channels and more than 15,000 TV shows and movies on demand, as well as premium movie channels, music streaming with more to come!”

How to Get WatchTV

WatchTV is available with our 2 latest unlimited wireless plans:

Option to add WatchTV
Option to add one of several premium services
$15 monthly credit toward DIRECTV, DIRECTV NOW and U-verse TV
15GB of high-speed tethering
High-quality video

Option to add WatchTV
$15 monthly credit toward DIRECTV NOW
Up to 4G LTE unlimited data
At launch, full details on our wireless plans will be available on att.com/unlimited. Details on WatchTV as a $15/month standalone service are also coming soon.

First of New Offers to Come

Our merger brings together the elements to fulfill our vision for the future of media and entertainment. We’ll bring a fresh approach to how media and entertainment works for you. This means new offerings that integrate content and connectivity.

You’ll see a new level of choice, innovation and value as we deliver a more personalized and immersive entertainment experience—from experimenting with new forms of content to offering new ways to access and view premium content, especially on mobile devices.

A friend of mine mentioned how his family AT&T bill is >$600/month.  Practically fell out of my chair.  Family of 3.  All of their phones, smart watches, tablets have data plans plus the internet/cable and a handful of on-demand movies each weekend.   I almost felt like staging an intervention with them.   Being entertained/connected 100% of the time with 100% of the options is overkill.      I get that families pay more than me as being single but it shouldn't approach a car payment.

I'm down to $50 for internet, $11 for Hulu plus HBO, and some portion of my Amazon Prime is for their video.    Since I help my dad with his Uverse account, I do admit that I've used his account from time to time to catch a show I could see otherwise.  However I feel that is justifiable since its in my name.  As for my phone, I'm lucky in that my employer picks up the tab.

1 hour ago, DallasHorn26 said:

Did anyone see this announcement from AT&T.  I wonder for those already on an unlimited plan if they will be grandfathered in.

ATT Watch

New “Unlimited &MoreSM Premium” Customers Will Receive a Choice of Another Entertainment Service Like HBO®, Amazon Music, Pandora Premium and More

We were the first wireless provider to pair entertainment and unlimited data. That’s because unlimited is pretty limited without entertainment. So now we’re taking it even further to give you more for your thing.

Days after closing the AT&T*-Time Warner merger, we’re rolling out our newest video offering called WatchTV, available on the nation’s best network for streaming video.i  You can stream through the WatchTV app or on select browsers at no extra cost with our 2 latest unlimited wireless plans. The plans — AT&T Unlimited &MoreSM and AT&T Unlimited &MoreSM Premiumii — are scheduled to launch next week.

WatchTV features 30+ live channels. It's compatible on virtually every current smartphone, tablet or web browser, and certain streaming devices. In addition to live programming, WatchTV has over 15,000 TV shows and movies on demand.

More for Your Thing

With &More Premium, you can also add one of several premium services at no extra charge. Premium services include HBO®, Cinemax, SHOWTIME® or STARZ® as well as music streaming services like Amazon Music Unlimited and Pandora Premium. Fan of anime,tech or gaming? You can choose VRV as your option.

You’ll also get 15GB of high-speed tethering, access to high-definition video, and a $15 monthly credit toward DIRECTV, DIRECTV NOW or U-verse TV.iii 
“We were the first wireless provider to bring entertainment and unlimited data together, and, once again, we’re redefining what that means,” said David Christopher, president, AT&T Mobility and Entertainment. “This is no longer about including one channel or service with your wireless plam. This is an incredible lineup of content that delivers more of what you care about – over 30 live TV channels and more than 15,000 TV shows and movies on demand, as well as premium movie channels, music streaming with more to come!”

How to Get WatchTV

WatchTV is available with our 2 latest unlimited wireless plans:

Option to add WatchTV
Option to add one of several premium services
$15 monthly credit toward DIRECTV, DIRECTV NOW and U-verse TV
15GB of high-speed tethering
High-quality video

Option to add WatchTV
$15 monthly credit toward DIRECTV NOW
Up to 4G LTE unlimited data
At launch, full details on our wireless plans will be available on att.com/unlimited. Details on WatchTV as a $15/month standalone service are also coming soon.

First of New Offers to Come

Our merger brings together the elements to fulfill our vision for the future of media and entertainment. We’ll bring a fresh approach to how media and entertainment works for you. This means new offerings that integrate content and connectivity.

You’ll see a new level of choice, innovation and value as we deliver a more personalized and immersive entertainment experience—from experimenting with new forms of content to offering new ways to access and view premium content, especially on mobile devices.

Those are new additions and new cellular plans, you won't be grandfathered in. 

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

A friend of mine mentioned how his family AT&T bill is >$600/month.  Practically fell out of my chair.  Family of 3.  All of their phones, smart watches, tablets have data plans plus the internet/cable and a handful of on-demand movies each weekend.   I almost felt like staging an intervention with them.   Being entertained/connected 100% of the time with 100% of the options is overkill.      I get that families pay more than me as being single but it shouldn't approach a car payment.

I'm down to $50 for internet, $11 for Hulu plus HBO, and some portion of my Amazon Prime is for their video.    Since I help my dad with his Uverse account, I do admit that I've used his account from time to time to catch a show I could see otherwise.  However I feel that is justifiable since its in my name.  As for my phone, I'm lucky in that my employer picks up the tab.

Your friend is a moron.

You probably dont need to be over 300 when it comes to phones, internet and tv 

Data plans for a smart watch? I wonder what their dinners are like 

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Your friend is a moron.

You probably dont need to be over 300 when it comes to phones, internet and tv 

Data plans for a smart watch? I wonder what their dinners are like 

Or how fat the family is. I'm ready for the next flip phone wave.

7 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Or how fat the family is. I'm ready for the next flip phone wave.

surprisingly they're not.  I think its more that they just don't go without.  Prefer to have a data plan for your tablet as opposed to tethering it to your phone, then get a tablet data plan.   Have a subscription for every Uverse channel and Netflix but want to see the latest movie on demand, buy then movie.  I'm the opposite.  Sure there are on-demand movies I wouldnt mind seeing but as there are 100s/1000s of shows/movies that I haven't seen on my subscribed services, why worry about what I can't see.

8 hours ago, RD3 said:

The fastest AT&T can get in my neighborhood is 50GB download.  I pay $70 per month after taxes for that.

How much is gigawatt for just internet and no tv? I don't have that option but I'm curious...

$100

On 6/27/2018 at 11:00 PM, RD3 said:

I have told AT&T that I'd pay more to get more than 50 but they tell me I'm too far from the main box.

And Google Fiber isn't in our neighborhood.

AT&T can't get over 12 mb down where I am.  Here, it's cable or AT&T.  The 200 mb level is the first tier without a cap.  With streaming services and all the rest, our data usage can top 1 TB per month.

On 6/21/2018 at 1:03 PM, Quagmire said:

Anyone else dtv now recording random shit you didn’t schedule ? I can’t make it stop

Maybe once.  But not at all.  The one flaw is that I can't seem to record a program once it comes on (i.e. record the 6:00 news @ maybe 6:01) but other than that it's great.  I love it.

On 6/26/2018 at 2:47 PM, RD3 said:

I wish I could pause live tv on the DTV Now but oh well.

You can't?  In AppleTV I just click once on the clickpad if a program is on, and it stops.  A timebar appears at the bottom. Plus I can maneuver up/down by time (i.e. skip commercials).  It's kind of rough (not fine-tuned) but once you learn how to work the remote, it does a pretty good job.