Cord Cutters Thread

This past week I signed up for and canceled AT&T TV. Hated the interface and no ability to rewind live TV. Signed up for YTTV and love it so far. I’m still running parallel with U-Verse just to make sure before I cut the cord. One thing I didn’t like yesterday was the 12-15 second delay during the football games. I guess I could get used to it to save $400 a month. 

what "device" are you watching it on? TV app? Roku? Apple TV? Chromecast?

it isn't instantaneous but going from built in TV app to Roku (last generation, not the newest one) had a speed bump for me

Roku Stick, Xbox One, and Roku TV. Gig fiber connection. The experience is pretty consistent across devices. I do have a 4K Apple TV so I’ll try that.

2 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Two houses (no humblebrag. OK, maybe a little.)

Just cut mine from $550 at 2 to about $200. Internet isn’t as cheap as a stand alone. Went with the Hulu/Disney+ package and kept Netflix. We also have Prime Video with the subscription on Prime. We’ll see how not having live TV goes and add it back on Hulu if we want it. We watched maybe 6 channels.

22 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

My $0.99 rate from last year ended this past month.  Wonder if i can use the wife's email to snag this one, or are they smart enough to figure that out? 

Same for me. I was going to use another email account, not that they probably care. They must make most of their money off the ads.

How does one go about watching Fox Sports Southwest? I just realized the high school state games are on that channel yet Dish Network and Sling did away with that channel. Fucking sucks since that is what all the local teams are on like Mavs, Rangers and Stars. Is there any way to order the channel somewhere? I'd pay for it just to get the local sports teams back.

• Like 1

what "device" are you watching it on? TV app? Roku? Apple TV? Chromecast?
it isn't instantaneous but going from built in TV app to Roku (last generation, not the newest one) had a speed bump for me

Just confirmed that channel switching on YTTV on 4K Apple TV is almost instant. It takes a second for the resolution to catch up sometime but it’s much quicker. Hopefully Roku catches up.

How does one go about watching Fox Sports Southwest? I just realized the high school state games are on that channel yet Dish Network and Sling did away with that channel. Fucking sucks since that is what all the local teams are on like Mavs, Rangers and Stars. Is there any way to order the channel somewhere? I'd pay for it just to get the local sports teams back.

Pretty sure it’s on YTTV.

How likely am I to run into the 1GB data usage cap from xfinity? I’ve got two kids that will probably fall asleep streaming Disney+ every night. Does this happen to others frequently? They’re charging me $70 for 100mps speed which already seems excessive. I’d prefer to avoid data usage overages too

How likely am I to run into the 1GB data usage cap from xfinity? I’ve got two kids that will probably fall asleep streaming Disney+ every night. Does this happen to others frequently? They’re charging me $70 for 100mps speed which already seems excessive. I’d prefer to avoid data usage overages too

Just make sure that you turn streaming off (by hitting home on the Roku) before you turn your TVs off.

Just read your post again and yes you could run into issues if they always fall asleep while streaming. The first month or two of our streaming we just left streaming on when we turned the TVs off and we got very close to our 1GB limit. I wonder if Roku has a setting that shuts it down after a certain time?

Only 1 gb for 70 bucks a month? Shit, that’s crappy .

Glad mine doesn’t have data caps, I would switch if you can

14 hours ago, Lurch said:

if you have the xfinity modem (or your neighbor does), you have xfinity wifi.  xfinity wifi is not metered.  it's not a fast connection (28Mbps), but it's fast enough for 1080p streaming.  the service has to be logged in to, but fire sticks can do that.  my tcl roku tv can't (though i think the standalone rokus may be able to). definitely put the kids' tv on that instead of your own wifi. 

if you don't have the modem, well, modem rent sucks, but it's cheaper than the unlimited plan or data overages (also, if you think you're about to go over, call to add unlimited then get rid of it next month.  a friend of mine does that). 

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

Dumped DirectTVNow, or AT&TNow if that's what they want to call it, after they said they would raise my bill another $10/month. We have Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and now Disney+. Plus, my parents are old and stuck in their ways so they still pay for Time Warner cable, so I just use their login for Fox Sports SW or any other streaming app I might lose from dropping DirectTVNow.

Just read your post again and yes you could run into issues if they always fall asleep while streaming. The first month or two of our streaming we just left streaming on when we turned the TVs off and we got very close to our 1GB limit. I wonder if Roku has a setting that shuts it down after a certain time?

Both my daughter and I always fall asleep while streaming. Roku does have an auto shut off after a certain amount of in activity. I haven’t been able to find a setting to adjust the the time though, I think it’s like 4 hours. We come pretty close to the 1TB limit most months, but only exceeded it once and I’m pretty sure that was related to the son’s Xbox. Xfinity gives you two comp months to exceed the limit, I think that’s annually. So I’m just going to switch to the unlimited if I exceed it again. Everyone is trained to shut down the streaming before turning off the tv which helps immensely.

• Like 1

With data caps, the key would be to limit how many times you leave the streaming going when you're not watching. I had a friend that tried Hulu Plus, but she had a habit of just turning off the TV went she went to work, and Hulu streamed all day. You can probably get by doing that a couple of times but not every day.

Reading backwards a bit but want to check...

In the last year we have maxed at 420 gig of data for a family of four, using netflix some (twice a week) and DTV satellite. Wife and I watch about 90 minutes of tv on different TVs per night on average.

Current service is $82 with 300 meg down and a cap at 900 gig.

Should be good or under if I switch yes? The CSR dude seemed to think so with my provider.

FWIW I downgraded to the 100mbps (from 200mbps) package out of curiosity and no one in the house has noticed.

We have used 230GB through 9 days so it looks like cap isn’t at much risk either. It was a good point that the firestick is powered by tv USB so when Tv is off it won’t be streaming

7 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I don’t see it listed. Sling doesn’t have the locals though.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/sling-tv-adds-the-longhorn-network/

Today Sling TV added the Longhorn Network to their live TV streaming services. Sling TV has yet to officially announce the new network but it looks like it has been added to the Sling TV Orange plan.

With PlayStation Vue shutting down it had removed one of the few services to offer the Longhorn Network to cord cutters. Now cord cutters have one more option to access this popular RSN. For now, it seems that the Longhorn Network is only offered in the greater Texas area as a regional sports network.

“Today, we’re adding the Longhorn Network (LHN) to Sling’s lineup, bringing University of Texas (UT) fans access to the university’s official channel – and all things Texas Longhorns. Sling Orange customers can begin streaming the 24-hour network now by subscribing to Sports Extra for $10/month. Talk about a slam dunk!” Sling TV said in a statement on their website.

This does come a day after Sling TV announced they have added DVR support to ESPN channels the parent company behind the Longhorn Network. Sling TV subscribers are now able to record programming from ESPN, ESPN2, ACC Network, SEC Network, ESPN Bases Loaded, ESPN Deportes, ESPN Goal Line, ESPNEWS and ESPNU. So if they want to watch their favorite team winning an epic bowl game over and over, now they can!

Digital networks, including ESPN3, ACC Network Extra and SEC Network+ are not eligible for recording via Cloud DVR on Sling.

• Like 1

cut the attTVdirect cord this past week.  had been a go big subscriber to directTVnow from day 1.  used to pay $30/month, they wanted to increase it to $60/month before taxes so i finally killed it.   it was a long time coming.  we don't even watch anything on attTVdirect other than nba, nfl, or mlb games.  the other regular tv i watch is KXAN and KLRU create which are both free over the air.  now i need to figure out how to watch the rangers-  even with MLB.tv most rangers games in austin are blacked out.