Cord Cutters Thread

4 hours ago, Skipper said:

Sling doesn't have Fox Sports Southwest though right?   That's far more important to my viewing than LHN.    

That must mean no FS1? Fuck. Well at least Sling gets me Texas baseball when Vue dies. I'll worry about football in the spring. 

12 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

So I’m going to end up juggling streaming services? I just want something that will give me what I want.

If you want FSSW, FS1/2 and LHN, you can just get AT&T TV Now for $80/mo. package.

Ain't cheap, but has it all. 

I think I am going to get a Roku to get rid of ATT Uverse.

Looking at Roku LT vs Ultra any reasons to do something else? Recommendations?

I am probably going to get Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+ package.  Might want to go with Hulu Live TV unless there is a better option for live channel DVR.

Thanks

Fucking AT&T raised my gigabit fiber service from $40 to $70 a month for no apparent reason. I’ve only been in this house since April. I expected a fight after a year but not now. They suck. And of course they’ve been “experiencing high call volumes” for two days straight so I can’t talk to anyone. Assholes.

38 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Fucking AT&T raised my gigabit fiber service from $40 to $70 a month for no apparent reason. I’ve only been in this house since April. I expected a fight after a year but not now. They suck. And of course they’ve been “experiencing high call volumes” for two days straight so I can’t talk to anyone. Assholes.

Uh, you had gigabit service at 40 dollars a month? That had to have been an error. 70 is the lowest I've seen it. I am at 90 a month in houston. 

On 12/15/2019 at 9:12 AM, Buzzrock said:

You should drop your speed.  You don't need anywhere near that much bandwidth.  You could go down to 100mb and you won't notice a difference other than when you download huge files and 100 is still plenty fast for that.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 3:53 PM, B00M said:

That must mean no FS1? Fuck. Well at least Sling gets me Texas baseball when Vue dies. I'll worry about football in the spring. 

as a result of the disney merger, FS1 and the fox regionals are separate entities.  FS1 (along with Fox News, Fox Business, and the broadcast network) are owned by "New" Fox, while the regionals are owned by sinclair (et al) after being spun out of disney. 

• 2 weeks later...

At my old house I had gigabit from Grande. 

I started a couple of dozen torrents, bunch of youtube pages, and uploads to my servers at the same time. Never got it above 50Mb.

For most normal people 50Mb should be plenty. 

Lowered my Grande to 50Mb and never came close to topping it out with normal use. 

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 1:33 PM, RedDirtTexan said:

FWIW.....I tweeted at @YouTubeTV and complained about them not carrying LHN. They wrote back and sent a link asking for suggestions on which channels to work on adding to their lineup. Here's the link. Just takes a second. Maybe it'll help get them going on carrying LHN. 

https://t.co/mIp92biaK1?amp=1

Bumping to this page.  Everyone needs to do this.

• Like 3

Uh, you had gigabit service at 40 dollars a month? That had to have been an error. 70 is the lowest I've seen it. I am at 90 a month in houston. 

Intro rate of $50 and my wife’s AT&T phone knocks off another $10. I was told it would go up to $60 in a year, but that’s not until April 2020.

You should drop your speed.  You don't need anywhere near that much bandwidth.  You could go down to 100mb and you won't notice a difference other than when you download huge files and 100 is still plenty fast for that.

There is a data cap at anything below 1Gb so I’d have to make sure I’m not blowing through the cap. But not a bad idea.

12 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Intro rate of $50 and my wife’s AT&T phone knocks off another $10. I was told it would go up to $60 in a year, but that’s not until April 2020.

That's for fiber, but I don't think its for gigabit unless you're getting the best deal in the country. 

Edited by Dahobbs

Blew through our usage limit in Dec. Discovered today how to set a limiter on each device via our router. For example, left untouched, our youngest kids fire stick was often going 8-10 Mbps which is total overkill for the small TV they have. Dropped it down to 2 Mpbs max and can barely tell. My understanding is that the firestick/ruku detect that they have less bandwidth available and automatically drop to a lower resolution.

50 gb internet from Frontier for $46.75 a month. Two internet protocol services with 3 different simultaneous IP connections one at $5 the other at $14 a month. VPN at $2.50 a month. Full Kodi build out with multiple apks for free. 

That's $68.25 out the door final price for access to every single thing you could ever watch. Every sporting event. Every PPV. Every movie channel on two continents plus on demand access to nearly every movie and TV series made. 

You don't know what you're missing

6 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I feel like I’m reasonably tuned in to cord cutting, but I have never heard of Vidgo in my entire life.

looks like it's fairly new.  With Playstation and potentially ATT getting out of the business there's an opening for a start up.  The channel lineup is the best out there but if the service sucks right now I'm gonna hold out a bit longer.  

looks like it's fairly new.  With Playstation and potentially ATT getting out of the business there's an opening for a start up.  The channel lineup is the best out there but if the service sucks right now I'm gonna hold out a bit longer.  

Think I’m going to start a trial of this in the next couple of days. Looks like the right mix of sports, kids, and what wife wants. Getting Bein would be a nice addition.

So all this monopolization from the media/cable/internet cartel is making cutting the cord an unattractive financial move.

I have cable with everything for 160/month with intergoogles.  No worries about LHN or other sports nets.  I don't have NFL/MLB shit, but give zero fucks.  Less than zero.  Same about local/network channels other than PBS but its all there.

I can't really beat that.  But I guess when they're done buttfucking you cord cutters, they're gonna start in on me.

22 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

50 gb internet from Frontier for $46.75 a month. Two internet protocol services with 3 different simultaneous IP connections one at $5 the other at $14 a month. VPN at $2.50 a month. Full Kodi build out with multiple apks for free. 

That's $68.25 out the door final price for access to every single thing you could ever watch. Every sporting event. Every PPV. Every movie channel on two continents plus on demand access to nearly every movie and TV series made. 

You don't know what you're missing

Frontier is somehow worse than AT&T in quality of service and tech support.  They are the worst telcom/ISP that I have ever dealt with.

Question on internet speeds. I currently have xfinity’s 1G service and it’s around $140 per month for internet only. I have 5 TVs (three connected by ethernet cable) that stream sometimes 2 at a time but never 3 at a time. I don’t download/upload large files and there are no video gamers on my network. Cell phones don’t work in my house—probably something in the roof, so wifi calling is required. From what I’ve read, wifi calling doesn’t need much bandwidth. Nor should streaming two TVs at the same time. Would I likely see a difference if I dropped down to a slower/cheaper service?

None! Your TVs are likely streaming between 6-12 Mbps, usually towards the lower end of that. You probably never hit even 50 in total. If you do, your TVs would briefly lower resolution to make due with what they’re getting p, and you most likely wouldn’t even notice

• Like 1