Cord Cutters Thread

Yeah, as a YouTubeTV user, I also just got that email. I don’t care about watching Mavs or Rangers, so I don’t care. Others will, though.

And YouTubeTV is so much better than Hulu Live or DirecTV’s streaming service (I guess it’s called AT&T now), even if I did care, I might not change. Perhaps those who will miss FoxSpors SW can get a family member’s login who’s on traditional cable and use an app. 

On the subject of cord cutting providers, the main reason I prefer YTTV is the clean DVR use. If you watch something a few days after recording, you can play back like a traditional DVR, with no forced commercial breaks. Hulu Live would literally populate a LIVE broadcast with those fucking little yellow commercial notches, and made you watch a spot. Sometimes, I’d try to rewind, and the whole thing got screwed up. 

1 minute ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

So first PSVue goes under and now YouTube TV is telling me I need to move on before football season starts?

What regional Fox channel are you watching football on? FS1 isn’t affected, nor regular Fox.

The RSN brands acquired by Sinclair are: Fox Sports Arizona, Fox Sports Detroit, Fox Sports Florida, Fox Sports Sun, Fox Sports North, Fox Sports Wisconsin, Fox Sports Ohio, SportsTime Ohio, Fox Sports South, Fox Sports Carolina, Fox Sports Tennessee, Fox Sports Southeast, Fox Sports Southwest, Fox Sports Oklahoma, Fox Sports New Orleans, Fox Sports Midwest, Fox Sports Kansas City, Fox Sports Indiana, Fox Sports San Diego, Fox Sports West, and Prime Ticket.

Yeah, if you have YTTV and love watching Rangers/Astros or Mavs/Spurs/Rockets, etc., this sucks. Thankfully, I don’t care. 

Edited to add I have seen an Oklahoma football game offered as PPV on a Fox platform, so if you’re interested in such a product in the future, it may not be available thru YTTV.

Edited by Vito Andolini

Hulu Live’s content is great, because you can access all the old shows. I rewatched Cheers recently. Channel selection seems ok. It’s $55 a month after a recent hike. I jumped on an end of the year $2.99 a month for regular Hulu to supplement my YouTube TV ($50 a month) so I get the catalog of old shows and YTTV for live.

What makes me sure I’ll never go back to Hulu Live as long as YouTube TV exists is the user experience. Hulu is owned by the networks, and they make damned sure you watch commercials. There’s a more expensive version of regular Hulu that’s commercial free, but not Hulu Live. 

They will insert commercial breaks everywhere in a recorded show and it’s quite frustrating.

Having said that, it’s still far better to pay $55 a month and deal with some frustration rather than $200 a month for the shitshow that is DirecTV, which I did for 12 years before switching to streaming in January of 2019. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

I'm just wondering if the YTTV/Sinclair fight is going to be a quick one. I can handle missing a few NBA games. But when summer comes and baseball is the only sport on, that's when things are going to be rough.

Sinclair has presumably been pretty unreasonable with several providers correct?  Dish as well?   Does Sinclair have a relationship/shared ownership with Hulu/AT&T?  Is there any angle for Sinclair to consolidate live sports to those platforms?  I'm not in the weeds on the media wars but it seems like YTTV has to know it will take a big hit losing these live sports right as NBA season nearing playoffs and baseball season starting.  I'm sure they didn't walk away if a reasonable proposal existed.

• Like 1

ok, so i came on this thread a year ago, and since then, we've been on roku + directvnow (attnow) with no issues.  even a couple months later, when they dropped some channels (or made it more expensive to get the channels i had already agreed to get and pay for), i was able to keep the same package, with $5 or $10 more a month.  fine, whatever.  still way cheaper than cable was for us (we went from $55 to $65).

but i just realized i no longer have mlb network.  and i looked at the chart: https://cdn.directv.com/content/dam/dtv/gmott/html/dynamic_channels/compare-packages-account-dbs.html

and see that it's no longer part of the $65 package, but instead, is part of the $110 package (seems reasonable to pay $45 extra a month for mlbn).  and it's really fucking annoying, because other channels like amc that switched over - i was grandfathered in and never lost or got charged more.

has anyone else had this happen?  i assume there's no way to fight which channels you just fucking lose.  do the comparable packages on youtubetv, etc have mlbn?  i'm not sure if it's a dealbreaker that will make me switch, but it's highly annoying, and not something i would ever just stream (like i would for a game).

Man, I hate AT&T with a passion. For the third time in three years they sign us up to a one year U-verse plan at a specific price. Then, a few months into the 12 commitment, they just raise prices anyway.

Every single time we have to get on the phone and argue with agents for an hour over the fact they told us the price wouldn’t change for the 12 months. They always try to argue that their terms and conditions allow them to do this, but that response just demonstrates the incredible lack of integrity by one of the largest companies in the world. And of course they spend more money arguing with us than they get in fee increases. The company really needs to do an integrity and business sense check.

Dumped At&t Now yesterday. Was grandfathered to one of the old plans, and was just ok with the price, but the constant buffering the last 2 months was new and rage inducing. I have fiber, and an AppleTV 4k that was hardwired, so I know for a fact it wasn't a bandwidth issue. We are going to go with just antenna for a while, and I'll revisit our options come football season. 

3 hours ago, UnivTex34 said:

Dumped At&t Now yesterday. Was grandfathered to one of the old plans, and was just ok with the price, but the constant buffering the last 2 months was new and rage inducing. I have fiber, and an AppleTV 4k that was hardwired, so I know for a fact it wasn't a bandwidth issue. We are going to go with just antenna for a while, and I'll revisit our options come football season. 

I never can seem to finish reading what you posted.

5 hours ago, UnivTex34 said:

Get an Amazon recast. Works as a TiVo for your OTA programming with guide etc without the mo they substitute (TiVo). 

I also got an email from YouTubeTV confining a deal was reached with Sinclair for select areas.

Hi there,
We recently announced that FOX Regional Sports Networks would no longer be available on YouTube TV. We have since come to an agreement with Sinclair that will allow us to continue to carry FOX Regional Sports Networks in select areas.
Your access will not be impacted as previously communicated. You will be able to continue to watch live, on demand, or recorded content from your local FOX Regional Sports Network.

Thanks for your patience,
The YouTube TV team

Reading Mongoloid’s link, not all networks are still available: 

While the company hasn’t shared which Fox Sports RSNs have officially been dropped, The Streamable has learned that the service will no longer offer YES Network, Fox Sports Prime Ticket, and Fox Sports West

Edited by Vito Andolini

I also got an email from YouTubeTV confining a deal was reached with Sinclair for select areas.
Hi there,
We recently announced that FOX Regional Sports Networks would no longer be available on YouTube TV. We have since come to an agreement with Sinclair that will allow us to continue to carry FOX Regional Sports Networks in select areas.
Your access will not be impacted as previously communicated. You will be able to continue to watch live, on demand, or recorded content from your local FOX Regional Sports Network.
Thanks for your patience,
The YouTube TV team

Reading Mongoloid’s link, not all networks are still available: 
While the company hasn’t shared which Fox Sports RSNs have officially been dropped, The Streamable has learned that the service will no longer offer YES NetworkFox Sports Prime Ticket, and Fox Sports West

They cut it off in Houston. Tough being a Stars fan in H-Town.

• 3 weeks later...

YTTV here.  I'm behind and planned to start watching this season of better call saul.  I hadn't previously added to my library.  So I added and it appears I have ability to view episodes aired to date beginning at episode 3.  Any idea how I can watch episodes 1 and 2?  Thing is, when I searched before adding, I'm almost positive I had all episodes on demand.  Then when trying to watch the next day after adding to my library, first 2 are missing.

22 hours ago, Lurch said:

FWIW, I’m using the AMC app w Uverse credentials, and it no longer gives access to episodes 5/1 or 5/2 either.

Can’t tell for sure, but I’d bet upgrading to AMC premier for $4.99 gets them to you.

Well I did some googling and found this.  Apparently this is AMC licensing out a current season to make $$.  Ridiculous.

Season 5

Due to licensing restrictions, new episodes of Better Call Saul Season 5 will only be available for limited timeframes on AMC.com and AMC Apps

On 2/7/2020 at 11:38 AM, orange dream said:

So you just pay $20/ month and it is some magic key that gets any programming with no additional fee?  Sounds like I'm missing something.

On 2/7/2020 at 2:04 PM, gsoda3 said:

yeah you'll be fine until whoever runs the server (illegally) has to cut and run.  then you're stuck with a paperweight. 

Not if you know how to program it yourself and where to find new ones. There's always new ones popping up. Most of the time as soon as a provider gets a cease and desist letter they shut down and reopen with different name, URL, and virtual server locations. It's a fruitless game of whack-a-mole. 

plus you get the satisfaction of knowing you're playing your part to fuck over a souless greedy billionaire corporation that steals our tax money with corporate bailouts from the politicians they paid off while fucking us over on the front end with overpriced garbage. 

On 3/30/2020 at 11:37 AM, Skipper said:

Well I did some googling and found this.  Apparently this is AMC licensing out a current season to make $$.  Ridiculous.

Season 5

Due to licensing restrictions, new episodes of Better Call Saul Season 5 will only be available for limited timeframes on AMC.com and AMC Apps

Firestick and CatMouse

On 2/28/2020 at 8:22 PM, henrygandorf said:

ok, so i came on this thread a year ago, and since then, we've been on roku + directvnow (attnow) with no issues.  even a couple months later, when they dropped some channels (or made it more expensive to get the channels i had already agreed to get and pay for), i was able to keep the same package, with $5 or $10 more a month.  fine, whatever.  still way cheaper than cable was for us (we went from $55 to $65).

but i just realized i no longer have mlb network.  and i looked at the chart: https://cdn.directv.com/content/dam/dtv/gmott/html/dynamic_channels/compare-packages-account-dbs.html

and see that it's no longer part of the $65 package, but instead, is part of the $110 package (seems reasonable to pay $45 extra a month for mlbn).  and it's really fucking annoying, because other channels like amc that switched over - i was grandfathered in and never lost or got charged more.

has anyone else had this happen?  i assume there's no way to fight which channels you just fucking lose.  do the comparable packages on youtubetv, etc have mlbn?  i'm not sure if it's a dealbreaker that will make me switch, but it's highly annoying, and not something i would ever just stream (like i would for a game).

Going to streaming isn't cutting the cord if you're still paying the same people who were fucking you over on the cord. They're going to fleece you for content the same just in a 21st century way now. The only way to avoid it is going black hat. 

Edited by Junior Miller

7 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Going to streaming isn't cutting the cord if you're still paying the same people who were fucking you over on the cord. They're going to fleece you for content the same just in a 21st century way now. The only way to avoid it is going black hat. 

i went from $215 a month (spectrum) to $55 a month (at&t) and have ~ the same channels (except mlbn).  also switching over to roku completely streamlined my watching.

call it whatever you like.

• 2 weeks later...

SIAP:

Now, the Spectrum App works on Apple TV if you’re not subscribed to cable or don’t have Spectrum as an ISP (borrowing password). You won’t get all of the channels but at least 100 various channels including NFL network and the premium channels. May work on the Roku app too, need to verify.

PSA: Xfinity Flex streaming box is pretty janky. Some bassakwards non-intuitive shit. Content just so so to start. Autostart annoyances. Lack of clarity when something is VOD or a "live" channel of their content. All with ads. It was free and I get get Peacock Premium free. It's worth about that much. Android TV/NVIDIA Shield waaay better. Not great to have a second streaming box for one app. If Android TV gets the Peacock app later in the year, this Flex box has no purpose.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk