Cord Cutters Thread

7 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

YouTube TV deserves some kind of academy award. It’s brilliant, easy to navigate, voice search is awesome, and it always knows what I want to watch at certain times/days so I don’t even have to go find the damn channel. It’s awesome.

If they could just add a way to make it easier to know what I have already watched, would be the perfect setup. Waste a lot of time on older shows wondering if I watched that episode or if its actually new

7 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

If they could just add a way to make it easier to know what I have already watched, would be the perfect setup. Waste a lot of time on older shows wondering if I watched that episode or if its actually new

so, actually they recently rolled out a function to allow you to mark shows as "watched" and not

Edited by NoName

3 hours ago, NoName said:

so, actually they recently rolled out a function to allow you to mark shows as "watched" and not

Oh nice, haven't seen it on Fire TV app, but came up on phone as new feature but for the life of me can't find it or get to work. Long pressing does nothing and not in any menu... On a pixel 3

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

I think that network is delayed per Chip and Jo....google it.

saw it got bumped, just in general was curious

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

yes, will be on YTTV they have multi-year deal for entire Discovery collection

thanks!

Apologies, I'm sure its covered in this thread.

FINALLY talked Mrs stanco to ditch dtv, she likes YTTV. So choices on LHN? I will happily pay especially during baseball season. Please quote this post if you have an answer!

Pm rage

SIAP:

Now, the Spectrum App works on Apple TV if you’re not subscribed to cable or don’t have Spectrum as an ISP (borrowing password). You won’t get all of the channels but at least 100 various channels including NFL network and the premium channels. May work on the Roku app too, need to verify.

I am not sure I understand. You are saying you can watch some channels through the Spectrum app on an AppleTV without a Spectrum account? How does this work?

I'm on board for the first time. I went with YTTV. I love the ease of use and running everything through my Firestick and Firestick remote, but goddammit I got a big complaint that there doesn't seem to be a fix for. 

They shut if off due to inactivity. I hate that. I leave my tv on all day when I'm out. I don't like coming home to a silent house. It's a weird thing, probably, but it's a thing I have. Anybody know a fix that the others online haven't shared or I haven't found? 

Other people seem to hate it too, but their reasons are more valid. Like an older person or special needs person that can't mess with the TV while they're not around. I'm just neurotic. 

I'm on board for the first time. I went with YTTV. I love the ease of use and running everything through my Firestick and Firestick remote, but goddammit I got a big complaint that there doesn't seem to be a fix for. 
They shut if off due to inactivity. I hate that. I leave my tv on all day when I'm out. I don't like coming home to a silent house. It's a weird thing, probably, but it's a thing I have. Anybody know a fix that the others online haven't shared or I haven't found? 
Other people seem to hate it too, but their reasons are more valid. Like an older person or special needs person that can't mess with the TV while they're not around. I'm just neurotic. 
I can't help with Firesticks, but I use YTTV with an NVIDIA Shield and it doesn't turn off...I don't think. It will go to a screen saver afer a period of time if you pause YTTV, but it will keep rolling if YTTV is playing.

giphy.gif

53 minutes ago, DCLonghorn said:
1 hour ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

I can't help with Firesticks, but I use YTTV with an NVIDIA Shield and it doesn't turn off...I don't think. It will go to a screen saver afer a period of time if you pause YTTV, but it will keep rolling if YTTV is playing.

Really? Everything I have read says it's a function of YTTV and can't be disabled. 

Also, why is my reply all of a sudden quoting both posts?  The corona has me flustered. 

Really? Everything I have read says it's a function of YTTV and can't be disabled. 
Also, why is my reply all of a sudden quoting both posts?  The corona has me flustered. 
Hmmm... Starting a test now. I will say I've never seen any sort of notification asking if I was still watching like some other apps. And I've definitely paused a game and headed off to church or whatnot for a couple of hours and the game was still on and paused when I got home. But I'll let this run for a few hours notwithstanding a house full of kids that could screw up the test.

Also, when I turn off the Shield, most of the time, although I don't know how long this holds, YTTV is on and paused right where I left it. Although it certainly doesn't continue playing when the Shield is "off."

I do know that on our XBox, it will stop the YYTV app after some time. That was a frustration as we used to leave that TV on when we'd go on vacation to fool the dumbest of theives.

I wonder if you can cast something to the TV from your phone if that will keep playing? Like cast YTTV instead of the using the Firestick app.

Man, I was dead wrong. At exactly the six hour mark, I got Are you still watching? with the video paused. It turned itself off, YTTV, not the Shield, 30 minutes or so later.

I read elsewhere that Pluto TV is good for this purpose and won't turn off.

8 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

Is there a method to turn YTTV on while remote? Turn it off on the way out, and then flip it on when you are going home. 

42 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

If you want TV to stay on, one option is to switch to antenna and use a local channel like ABC or CBS...

Great suggestion.  You don’t need to worry about auto offs or even a problem with an internet connection. Assuming you have electricity, the tv and a channel will be on.  

If you want TV to stay on, one option is to switch to antenna and use a local channel like ABC or CBS...

And also make sure the TV itself doesn’t have an energy saving setting on (most new TVs do, they’ll shut off at some point if enabled).

Damn if the search function isn't shit.

Is it my imagination or was there a thread in here or responses to some post where a Shagger built their own in the attic Yagi antenna?

Amazon.com: ZDA Communications 902-928 MHz Yagi antenna, 17dBi ...

Purchase this.

vs. Make this:

High Gain Yagi Wifi Antenna

Looking to pick up a signal for OTA & where we're located, I think we can possibly get some San Antonio channels in addition to Austin.

Also, are the powered versions (plugs into the wall... just add 'leck-trickity) any improvement / worth the expense?

I just hit the two year anniversary of cutting the cord and Comcast jacked my internet rate from $55/month to $85/month.  Att fiber is in my area, but I'm still getting dunned from them for an incorrect bill from when I cut them off and went to Comcast.  A intertrons search says Earthlink has fiber in my zip code, but their website doesn't give any real information.  It just says to call.  Any one have any experience with them?

I just hit the two year anniversary of cutting the cord and Comcast jacked my internet rate from $55/month to $85/month.  Att fiber is in my area, but I'm still getting dunned from them for an incorrect bill from when I cut them off and went to Comcast.  A intertrons search says Earthlink has fiber in my zip code, but their website doesn't give any real information.  It just says to call.  Any one have any experience with them?

I’d guess you could just tell Comcast you have an offer from AT&T and use that to get your discount extended

After having YTTV for a coule weeks, I like it a lot, but a couple other complaints are; no previous channel function and when you go back to the guide, it takes you to the first set of channels instead of the channel you're currently on. Is that a Firestick deal or a YTTV deal? 

... when you go back to the guide, it takes you to the first set of channels instead of the channel you're currently on. Is that a Firestick deal or a YTTV deal? 

With mine, if you are watching a show, press back once, that will take you to the current show in the guide. If you press back twice, you go to LIVE and the top of the guide. No idea is that's specific to my remote/streamer.

• 3 weeks later...
Is there anything on HBO Max that isn't on HBO Go? Is there even a difference?
Max has a lot more content...all of the Warner Bros/Turner/etc. stuff AT&T got in the various mergers beyond HBO. DC Comics, Friends, Scooby Doo, etc. For those paying for HBO Now, it's the same cost for a lot more content.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, DCLonghorn said:
3 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:
Is there anything on HBO Max that isn't on HBO Go? Is there even a difference?

Max has a lot more content...all of the Warner Bros/Turner/etc. stuff AT&T got in the various mergers beyond HBO. DC Comics, Friends, Scooby Doo, etc. For those paying for HBO Now, it's the same cost for a lot more content.

Interesting. I'll check it out.

ATTtV Now - former DirectTV Now logon works for HBO Max.

I would like to say again I feel free. $53 a month for YTTV and what 15 for wife to watch NF. So much better than DTV at 200 a month.

Question (I probably already asked but forgot): espn package in September gets me LHN yes? And I can cancel anytime? I want it football through baseball and thats it.

I would like to say again I feel free. $53 a month for YTTV and what 15 for wife to watch NF. So much better than DTV at 200 a month.

Question (I probably already asked but forgot): espn package in September gets me LHN yes? And I can cancel anytime? I want it football through baseball and thats it.

Nope. No LHN in ESPN+, or YTTV option. Sling still has it on orange package with sports plus.

Why $53? Mine is 49.99.

And amen to YTTV... I don't miss DTV at all... We'll see if I get the shakes when football season rolls around with no LHN.