Cord Cutters Thread

15 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Good job Google. Increasing the price by $15/month during these times? And to add shitty channels no one even watches anymore? Those channels would have been popular if this was a few decades ago. Definitely am going to cancel. I really only got YTTV to be able to stream live sports. Well that is fucked for the indefinite future so YTTV is completely useless to me now days.

This service was $35/month relatively not that long ago. Went up to 50 and now up to 65 in short time. I remember hearing that Google is so powerful and deep that they did not have to charge an arm and a leg for their service. Yeah, well that was a crock. Suckered people in at a low cost and jacked up the price damn near 100% shortly after.

blame CBS/Viacom for that bullshit. they force an all or nothing negotiation, take all their channels and keep what you have vs lose the basic CBS and such.

it's shitty all the way around

14 hours ago, MoJames said:

Since PSVue went goodbye, I've been rolling with Hulu ($12), Netflix ($13), Disney+($7) and ESPN+ ($13)

No complaints from the wife or 2 kids. So from a year plus ago paying almost $200 just for Dish (had netflix as well) to $45 a month.

i have some great news for you - you can bundle Hulu, D+ and ESPN+ for $13 / month

https://www.hulu.com/hulu-disney-espn-bundle-offer

https://www.disneyplus.com/welcome/disney-hulu-espn-bundle

Edited by NoName

Yeah CBS/Viacom was going to pull local CBS from like 20 large markets unless YTTV swallowed this deal.

True a la carte is never going to happen, at least not as people envisioned it. The best we're going to get is the single corporate umbrella services like Disney+, HBO, etc. Sling has been trying slimmer bundles for years and consumers have voted with their dollars that they don't want that.

Installed this small OTA antenna purchased from Walmart in the attic, pointed toward Cedar Hill (south Dallas).  Digital scan yielded seventy-something hits ... a lot of religious and Hispanic programming, but still about 20 stations with decent programming.  HD picture reception from the network stations and PBS is awesome.  Also installed an in-line signal amp to feed the four TV's in the house.

spacer.png

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, skeeter said:

Installed this small OTA antenna purchased from Walmart in the attic, pointed toward Cedar Hill (south Dallas).  Digital scan yielded seventy-something hits ... a lot of religious and Hispanic programming, but still about 20 stations with decent programming.  HD picture reception from the network stations and PBS is awesome.  Also installed an in-line signal amp to feed the four TV's in the house.

spacer.png

How far are you from the big broadcast signals? What is the limit on this thing's effectiveness

2 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

How far are you from the big broadcast signals? What is the limit on this thing's effectiveness

North Ft Worth to the major network transmission sites in Cedar Hill is about 30 miles line of sight.  Antenna is rated at about 50 miles if placed at least 10 ft above ground.

https://www.channelmaster.com/TV-Channels-a/394.htm#zip=76131&city=fort-worth&state=tx

this was the "antenna" I tried initially, just to see if I could get anything ... tv scanner picked up about 40 channels

spacer.png

Edited by skeeter
  • Like 2

The only a la carte you're going to get is per show, not per channel.  I only have Netflix and Prime (and an HBO subscription through Prime, which I rarely use).  If I want to watch a show that isn't on those, like Better Call Saul, I just buy the season on Amazon and watch Monday mornings.  That's the best we're ever gonna get.  I've cut my sports consumption by 95% and other shows just as drastically.  I just don't care anymore and I continue to be shocked by how much people watch.  

Streaming will always beat the Cable companies though.  The price for these services is the same every month and cancellation is one click.  The cable companies were absolute fucking criminals.  Promise you a price and three months later jack it up, then deny you were ever offered.  Getting through with them was a pain in the ass and cancellation was an Olympic event.  Absolute fucking criminals.  For now anyway, streaming is not that.  

• Like 1

Anyone have any experience with fubo? They market themselves as the best streaming source for sports, but for a long time they didn't carry ESPN which is a pretty damn big hole in your sports lineup. But I heard that last week they said they would finally start to carry the ESPN networks. Maybe this would be the time to switch to them.

I've had no problem with HBO Max on NVIDIA Shield/Android TV. But we don't have a serious sound set up. Just a sound bar. So not sure we'd notice the same issue.

Just fired it up and tested... I don't notice sound issues on HP 1 or 2...sound going out of both sides. Although the HP movies seem quieter than other shows on Max. And there was a popping when I fast forwarded on HP and not on other shows/movies.

• Like 1

Dang, sticking with DirecTv Now and the grandfathered pricing (now att tv) is turning out to be a good decision (for now). $60 for a grandfathered now defunct package and I can’t think of a channel I don’t have. I have like 150 legit channels, no trash channels. Literally.

Have never had an issue with it. I’m not a huge DVR person, so that never bothered me. I’m sure that as soon as post this, they’ll hike the grandfathered price to $120. Ha!

Dang, sticking with DirecTv Now and the grandfathered pricing (now att tv) is turning out to be a good decision (for now). $60 for a grandfathered now defunct package and I can’t think of a channel I don’t have. I have like 150 legit channels, no trash channels. Literally.

Have never had an issue with it. I’m not a huge DVR person, so that never bothered me. I’m sure that as soon as post this, they’ll hike the grandfathered price to $120. Ha!

What’s your total bill, including hardware, HD fees, taxes, etc?

$65. No hardware...it’s a stream . Im grandfathered for now from back when they launched as direct tv now.

I have the go big package for $65 105+ channels, more like 150 no lie.

That same package goes for $85 now, with 65+ channels I think.

• Like 1

Original price was like $45 when they first announced directv now...,then they hiked it a few times all the way to $60...and i was still winning from my previous cable price...a bunch of folks jumped ship to the cheaper services, and now those cheaper services are more....and those other services seemed to have some channels but not others.

Like I said I’m sure I’ve jinxed myself now and they’ll hike it to $300 any day now. Lol.

5 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

giphy.gif

I think I'm only a DVR person when it comes to TV, how it that possible???

I kinda quit using the DVR much too when I had cable because almost everything was on demand and I got sick of organizing shit. But YTTV's on demand sucks, so now I'll take advantage of the unlimited probably. 

Even with the YouTubeTV price hike it is still only half of what a "value cable" package on 3 televisions would be if I bundled with my current internet provider. I believe I have until the end of August before I get billed the new price so we will see.

Has anyone tried the HBOMax app on an android TV? Best I can tell, they’ve fucked up the audio signals. Kids were trying to watch Harry Potter and all of the dialog was coming out of front left channel only.

This turned out to be HP. We’ve found other content that sounds great.

$65. No hardware...it’s a stream . Im grandfathered for now from back when they launched as direct tv now.

I’ve got the same thing, with the $5 (I think) HBO add which now allows access to all HBO Max programming.

I was grandfathered into a plan and for years only played 30ish + free hbo, and also bundled our internet and cell phones. Cell phone bill was astronomical (280 for 4 lines plus the 30 bucks a line if we upgraded).

Finally decided to stop being a loyal customer when the TV price went up to 65.

Switched cell phones to Cricket (100 bucks total), got a standalone internet provider (45 for 400 mb), YouTube tv. Even with the price increase, what we have now plus all of our streaming stuff is still a lot cheaper than the Directv/att setup that we had.

On 7/3/2020 at 3:56 PM, texas08 said:

Also grandfathered on this plan and split it with a friend.  So I pay less than $35 for it. 

• Like 1

So what are my drawbacks to just tethering my phone for streaming? It's unlimited data and gets around 50 down. (this time of night at least)  Plays 4K fine from what I can tell. 

It's Verizon and a family plan, but not my account.  So I really don't know what unlimited means, but have heard the grumblings about them slowing down your data a lot if you're using an excessive amount? 

I was going to have them out Friday to give me cable internet, but could this be an option?  

9 minutes ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

So what are my drawbacks to just tethering my phone for streaming? It's unlimited data and gets around 50 down. (this time of night at least)  Plays 4K fine from what I can tell. 

It's Verizon and a family plan, but not my account.  So I really don't know what unlimited means, but have heard the grumblings about them slowing down your data a lot if you're using an excessive amount? 

I was going to have them out Friday to give me cable internet, but could this be an option?  

Unlimited doesn't really mean unlimited, you will likely get throttled. 

11 minutes ago, texas08 said:

My “unlimited” on ATT gets throttled if I were to hit 100gb and if “networks are busy” at the time I hit 100gb.

Yeah, you are on the top tier plan, most plans get throttled way before that. Streaming home tv from your phone mobile plan is not a great long term strategy. 

Edited by Lobwedgephil

Most of the unlimited plans have a level specifically for tethering beyond which you are charged or throttled.