Cord Cutters Thread

3 hours ago, KuЯdt said:

I just did the Fubo trial and it has ESPN and ESPN2.  No TNT.  I went to cancel as the trial was coming to an end, and they offered a month for $20.  Went ahead and did that so I could watch the stros for a month.

Didn’t fubo have a disagreement with cnn, tnt, tbs, etc and lose that whole family of channels.

32 minutes ago, Viper said:

what's the thought on HD antennas for multiple tv's when none of the tv's are near the side of the house the local broadcast stations are located? Get an Amazon Fire Recast? It's a <10 year old house wired with ethernet and coax.

All those tower locator websites say I should have zero problems, but I've never found a solution that can consistently get me good signals from all 4 networks + PBS here in Houston. Have tried both old-fashioned rabbit ears and those fancy flat antennas that are ubiquitous on Amazon. Even tried one with a chintzy "amplifier".

If I cared more, I'd probably try hanging one of those big ass antennas in my attic and distributing the signal through my house with coax. Haven't ever gotten around to it, but I think that's probably going to be your best bet.

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Viper said:

what's the thought on HD antennas for multiple tv's when none of the tv's are near the side of the house the local broadcast stations are located? Get an Amazon Fire Recast? It's a <10 year old house wired with ethernet and coax.

Try the locast app. Its on most devices. Somehow, I've managed to get it add free since the beginning of quarantine.

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

All those tower locator websites say I should have zero problems, but I've never found a solution that can consistently get me good signals from all 4 networks + PBS here in Houston. Have tried both old-fashioned rabbit ears and those fancy flat antennas that are ubiquitous on Amazon. Even tried one with a chintzy "amplifier".

If I cared more, I'd probably try hanging one of those big ass antennas in my attic and distributing the signal through my house with coax. Haven't ever gotten around to it, but I think that's probably going to be your best bet.

does that entail drilling and running coax cable through my attic?

I have this in a closet with ethernet and coax outputs.

IMG-20151128-070348.jpg

Edited by Viper

6 minutes ago, Viper said:

I'm not much of an expert on that. In my house, all the coax comes to a central point in the attic. The dudes that installed my cable internet did that. My house was built in 1958 and the coax just added a couple years ago though. No idea how it's done in a modern house.

I have this in a closet with ethernet and coax outputs.
IMG-20151128-070348.jpg

This is similar to mine. I have ethernet and coax basically throughout the house. You just need to find out how the incoming signal ties into the junction box in your closet. In my case, for internet, the xfinity installer just connected the incoming line at the junction box to the xfinity modem. I then connected the 8 or so ethernet cables that are connected to tvs and other devices in my home to a switch that is connected to the modem. I could do something similar with the coax cables. I could install an HD antenna and run it to the incoming signal female connection at the box. Each room in my house has a female coax connector.

28 minutes ago, HouTex said:

This is similar to mine. I have ethernet and coax basically throughout the house. You just need to find out how the incoming signal ties into the junction box in your closet. In my case, for internet, the xfinity installer just connected the incoming line at the junction box to the xfinity modem. I then connected the 8 or so ethernet cables that are connected to tvs and other devices in my home to a switch that is connected to the modem. I could do something similar with the coax cables. I could install an HD antenna and run it to the incoming signal female connection at the box. Each room in my house has a female coax connector.

yeah the problem for me is this is in a closet in the middle of my house on the first floor so I'm not sure how well an Antenna will work in there

yeah the problem for me is this is in a closet in the middle of my house on the first floor so I'm not sure how well an Antenna will work in there

Mine is in our master closet on the second floor. It wasn’t too difficult for the xfinity installer to snake the cable in from my attic into the box. I assume someone could do the same with an HD antenna coax coming in from the attic at not too great of cost. There may DIY videos that show you how. I’ve never done it.

2 hours ago, Viper said:

The coax line is coming in to that junction box from somewhere. Did you look to see where it comes in?

It's more than likely coming from the attic. If so, build the $10 antenna I've posted a bunch of times and insert it up there.

4 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

The coax line is coming in to that junction box from somewhere. Did you look to see where it comes in?

It's more than likely coming from the attic. If so, build the $10 antenna I've posted a bunch of times and insert it up there.

That's what I'm thinking. There's a mini attic above my garage I need to look in. 

My coax main line runs into my attic. I installed an antenna pointed in the direction of the towers and connected to a signal booster with 4-5 outputs. I was able to find the connections running to all three of my TV's from the attic and hooked all up to the booster. Works great.

I also have a box like yours which has coax connections for every room in the house. If I had more TV's I would probably just run the antenna output to that box and then connect everything up to the booster in there. Should be able to wire up the whole house just like it was connected to cable or satellite.

Google "Gray Hooverman".  I'm about 10 miles from all the towers in Austin.  Just testing, I quickly built this with some spare 12 gauge Romex, (without the reflector) and WOW.  Picked up everything.  I plan to build another copy with 8 gauge grounding wire and discretely attach it to my chimney. 

On 8/19/2020 at 8:49 AM, tokamak said:

I’m the heights area, and finally put an antenna in the attic. about 2-3 feet tall. 1 story house so it’s easy to drop coax down the walls. For a long time I received every channel well except Fox 26. Then I realizsd I was pointing it about 15 degrees off from the ideal direction.  Used my iPhone compass and now the reception is great.

im interested for the upcoming atsc 3.0 deployment in Houston to get 4K OTA broadcast signals. It will require a new tv tuner. OTA sports should be the best given the fully uncompressed signal. I believe Dallas already has it deployed at least for 1 channel.

• 2 weeks later...

So I signed up for AT&T TV now so I could get Lin despite the fact that it is hella expensive. Any one have experience with how the dvr works? I don’t see an extender so I’m hoping that it will auto extend live events?

I miss my psvue so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSVue , we hardly knew ye.  Have Hulu Live no ads w\ Disney+ and ESPN+ bundles.  Looking to add Sling or Vidgo for LHN.  Also, I am in Hays county (Kyle area) and I am looking for an HD antenna that can pick up the local channels.  I am on my second one in the last 6 months.  The first one I had was an old one that was pretty much guaranteed to pick up Fox 7 but really nothing else.  The one I have now, picks up everything except, of course, Fox 7.  I saw home made job from a few pages back.  I don't have the patience for that.  I currently have the antenna in my living room. 

Thinking about hanging the current antenna in the attic just to see if that solves the lost Fox 7 problem.  

1 hour ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

PSVue , we hardly knew ye.  Have Hulu Live no ads w\ Disney+ and ESPN+ bundles.  Looking to add Sling or Vidgo for LHN.  Also, I am in Hays county (Kyle area) and I am looking for an HD antenna that can pick up the local channels.  I am on my second one in the last 6 months.  The first one I had was an old one that was pretty much guaranteed to pick up Fox 7 but really nothing else.  The one I have now, picks up everything except, of course, Fox 7.  I saw home made job from a few pages back.  I don't have the patience for that.  I currently have the antenna in my living room. 

Thinking about hanging the current antenna in the attic just to see if that solves the lost Fox 7 problem.  

Some people get low-to-the-ground antennas to work but I think it's universally agreed that going higher is best.  Be certain that you're pointed in the right direction. Use antennaweb.org and a compass to help position the antenna. 

a quick interweb search tells me that Fox 7 is UHF and the other Austin majors are VHF.  I wonder if that somehow is creating the situation for you.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Some people get low-to-the-ground antennas to work but I think it's universally agreed that going higher is best.  Be certain that you're pointed in the right direction. Use antennaweb.org and a compass to help position the antenna. 

a quick interweb search tells me that Fox 7 is UHF and the other Austin majors are VHF.  I wonder if that somehow is creating the situation for you.

Well, that  makes sense on the channels.  Thanks for the tip advice on the antenna web site.

On 8/29/2020 at 7:13 AM, skilesare said:

So I signed up for AT&T TV now so I could get Lin despite the fact that it is hella expensive. Any one have experience with how the dvr works? I don’t see an extender so I’m hoping that it will auto extend live events?

No auto extend.  Watch it live or catch a replay later on LHN/ESPN app. 

2 hours ago, Viper said:

sports package coming to youtubeTV, includes NFL network and redzone channel. Probably too much to hope for LHN

https://www.droid-life.com/2020/09/01/youtube-tv-close-to-adding-sports-plus-package-nfl-network-and-redzone-channels/

I'm hoping for FSSW in Houston to be brought back.... really not as big a fan of Hulu... would love to switch back to YTTV

On 8/12/2020 at 1:02 PM, ROFL BOX said:

Looking for a referral on a HotSpot device similar to the MoFi from UbiFi (lots of "fi" in this here post).  They have been out of stock for awhile; I got an email last week that some were available but by the time I clicked through, they were out of stock again.

We're on AT&T & historically, they have the best signal for where we live in the 78620 (furthest W end of Drip).

image.png.fbb8606d784b185b68a0d58b3ef311aa.png

I'm looking for something for my fishing cabin to use my phone as a  good hotspot. I have Verizon and my signal strength number is -110 dBm to -120.

Would this be at all what I'm looking for?

Would a good signal booster do the trick?

It's also much, much worse on weekends.

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

I'll definitely buy the add-on for redzone during football season.  Great to finally have that option.   Wife was not amused when that notice came up on the screen.  She hates that channel.

Tell her you can't get the Oxygen Channel without RedZone. 

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

I'll definitely buy the add-on for redzone during football season.  Great to finally have that option.   Wife was not amused when that notice came up on the screen.  She hates that channel.

Sounds like you need to give "her zone" a little more attention... 😁

Looking for new streaming option.  I signed up for the "Go Big" package on DirecTV Now back when it first came out, it was like $35/month.  Over time they've gradually upped the price (now up to $85/month, which they want me to appreciate because it's a package with 105 channels that isn't offered anymore and includes HBO).

Compared to their $80 Max package, I am getting quite a few more channels, but I don't get LHN or NFL network.  Also don't get Boomerang, which the kids like for cartoons.

It looks like for Youtube TV I'd be paying at least $65 for something comparable (10 fewer channels but I don't even watch 80 of the 105 I get now), without HBO but WITH the NFL.  I don't think I get LHN up here, but I can stream that on ESPN app.  Bonus would be getting Redzone on a month-to-month basis during NFL season w/ Youtube.

I primarily watch sports channels, the local networks, major news networks, and kids programming (but now they mostly stream netflix, disney +, hulu, which we have).

Looking for new streaming option.  I signed up for the "Go Big" package on DirecTV Now back when it first came out, it was like $35/month.  Over time they've gradually upped the price (now up to $85/month, which they want me to appreciate because it's a package with 105 channels that isn't offered anymore and includes HBO).
Compared to their $80 Max package, I am getting quite a few more channels, but I don't get LHN or NFL network.  Also don't get Boomerang, which the kids like for cartoons.
It looks like for Youtube TV I'd be paying at least $65 for something comparable (10 fewer channels but I don't even watch 80 of the 105 I get now), without HBO but WITH the NFL.  I don't think I get LHN up here, but I can stream that on ESPN app.  Bonus would be getting Redzone on a month-to-month basis during NFL season w/ Youtube.
I primarily watch sports channels, the local networks, major news networks, and kids programming (but now they mostly stream netflix, disney +, hulu, which we have).

PM Rage

PSA - Most of ya'll probably already know this, but the NFL Network doesn't just show up in your menu.  You have to go to a computer (can't do it from the TV that I know of) and manually select it to get it in the settings to get it to show on the menu.  Went to do that and I'll be damned if there weren't about 10 new channels down there (Comedy Central, CMT, Paramount, MTV, VH1 to name a few).  None had been selected so I didn't even know I had them.  Need to remember to do that every now and again for when they add new shit.

PSA - Most of ya'll probably already know this, but the NFL Network doesn't just show up in your menu.  You have to go to a computer (can't do it from the TV that I know of) and manually select it to get it in the settings to get it to show on the menu.  Went to do that and I'll be damned if there weren't about 10 new channels down there (Comedy Central, CMT, Paramount, MTV, VH1 to name a few).  None had been selected so I didn't even know I had them.  Need to remember to do that every now and again for when they add new shit.

It only does this if you use a custom channel order/lineup. Mine was there no problem.

4 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

It only does this if you use a custom channel order/lineup. Mine was there no problem.

Ah, gotcha.  Yeah mine is in alphabetical order.  Couldn’t find a damn thing when it was in their default order.  And having no channel numbers certainly didn’t help me remember where shit was.

the end result of cord cutting is going to be cable same as before, just over the internet. Enjoy the small focused providers like Vidgo while you can

If you have one TV, maybe two, you are probably right. If you had the Direct TV and five TVs connected with the Genie I don’t see it ever getting close to the $350 per month I was paying to Direct TV.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Viper said:

the end result of cord cutting is going to be cable same as before, just over the internet. Enjoy the small focused providers like Vidgo while you can

Neah ^

15 minutes ago, HouTex said:

If you have one TV, maybe two, you are probably right. If you had the Direct TV and five TVs connected with the Genie I don’t see it ever getting close to the $350 per month I was paying to Direct TV.

This ^

Competition always drives price down and streaming allows for far more competition.  It'll keep going up for sure as everyone still wants their slice of the pie.  But never as bad as the old cable/satellite days (not counting inflation, of course).  Plus, if you were smart enough to cut the cord years ago, you get the savings accumulated over a longer period of time to subtract from your overall total.  Anyone still using cable/satellite today (unless they don't have the internet speed available to support streaming) is just throwing money away for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

Anyone still using cable/satellite today (unless they don't have the internet speed available to support streaming) is just throwing money away for the foreseeable future.

Shhhhh! The number of friends and family with legacy cable to let me borrow their pw for LHN keeps dropping precipitously. I for one am thankful for these fine folks.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Sports is the only thing holding the whole system together. Netflix has lifetimes worth of content for like $15/month or whatever.

Where we're going to get fucked in the future is on the cost of internet access, mainly through data caps.

Has there been a "cord cutting" network buy exclusive rights to a sport yet? I don't think it will start with the NFL given the NFL has national contracts and doesn't seem to be willing to cut the connection with broadcast TV.  Since MLB and NBA allow for local deals, perhaps we will see one of the teams switch away from traditional cable channels and go online exclusively.

I know that Amazon Prime has some NFL rights to a handful of games. Do they simul-cast those games on a local broadcast station as well? The NFL seems to avoid only showing a local team on pay TV.