Cord Cutters Thread

1 hour ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

I’ve got a YTTV question: is there a way to do channel return without scrolling through the guide? I’m trying to flip back and forth between volleyball game and mavs game but it’s cumbersome going through the guide.

A little late now, but in the future, hit the down arrow on your remote twice and you will get a display showing the last few channels you watched, just click on what you need.

• Like 3

On 4/24/2021 at 9:55 PM, UTCzech III said:

A little late now, but in the future, hit the down arrow on your remote twice and you will get a display showing the last few channels you watched, just click on what you need.

Damn that may be the most helpful thing I’ve ever read on surly.

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, it's a lifesaver during football season, makes it very easy to click between 3-4 games one after another.
It also does a decent-ish job of predicting what channels you may want to watch when you first turn it on and press down twice, before you've flipped around channels and built your own recall list.

Also, if you are in the live channel guide and select a channel, if you press back once, it will take you right back to that channel in the guide. If you press back twice, it goes to the top of the guide. If you get to a channel from anywhere else, home screen, dvr, etc, back once goes to top of the guide. It only remembers your last spot in the live guide if you got there from the live guide. And resets if you press back twice or do anything else.

It took a long time to not instinctively press back to get to the guide and then back to get back to the show. Select the show from the guide to get back instead if you want to save your place in the live guide.

I put all the sports channels at the top of the guide so my most likely are right there, so back twice and down twice tend to show me the same set of channels.

#YTTVremotecalculus

I got an email today from Roku saying that they were having a bruhaha with Google and YTTV may not be available on Roku soon.  It seems that Roku is objective to the way Google is selling all of our information to the Chinese Intelligence service or something

Damn. I’ve been enjoying my setup with Roku/YTTV and I haven’t thought about alternatives to YTTV. What’s the next best service for local channels and the basic cable? I suppose I could replace the Rokus with firesticks.

Well, T-Vision didn't last long.  It's closing up shop on April 29 and shifting to a Youtube TV discount model.  Current users get a couple of free months of YTTV.  T-Mobile customers are eligible for $10 off per month on YTTV beginning April 6.
Legacy Sprint customers get the YTTV discount as well.

It's a bit of a pain in the ass, but you have to cancel your YouTube TV service, then use the link on the T-Mobile website and restart your service. All your settings and everything in your DVR remains untouched as long as you do this within 21 days of your service being turned off. When you cancel, the service remains until your billing date. And the link from T-Mo only works for a week or so. So you kind of have to time when you request the link from T-Mobile against the day your service will turn off if you want to make sure you don't lose YTTV for a couple of days.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DCLonghorn said:

It's a bit of a pain in the ass, but you have to cancel your YouTube TV service, then use the link on the T-Mobile website and restart your service. All your settings and everything in your DVR remains untouched as long as you do this within 21 days of your service being turned off. When you cancel, the service remains until your billing date. And the link from T-Mo only works for a week or so. So you kind of have to time when you request the link from T-Mobile against the day your service will turn off if you want to make sure you don't lose YTTV for a couple of days.

How do you request the link?

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

Damn. I’ve been enjoying my setup with Roku/YTTV and I haven’t thought about alternatives to YTTV. What’s the next best service for local channels and the basic cable? I suppose I could replace the Rokus with firesticks.

if you make a change go with Google TV with Chromecast, not Firestick. better option.

• Like 1

Anyone else thinking of buying the Apple TV 4K? I have the old 4K version but it does lag at times but I'm unsure if that is a device or app problem. Perhaps a faster processor will improve it. I'm thinking I can buy the new one for 180 and sell the old one for $50-75.  Worse case I just future proof it somewhat with HDMI 2.1 and Wifi 6.  New remote as well.

Apple rarely upgrades the TV device so it's not like you get it for cheaper by waiting. Might as well get it ASAP.

FYI, you also get a year of Apple TV+ with a purchase.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

I got an email today from Roku saying that they were having a bruhaha with Google and YTTV may not be available on Roku soon.  It seems that Roku is objective to the way Google is selling all of our information to the Chinese Intelligence service or something

I got it as well. Anyone know the timing of when it will go to shit?

I got another email from Roku today and one from Google.  The split is a done deal.  Roku said that as long as you don't delete the YTTV app it should continue to work, but just work ever update.  However, if you delete it you won't be able to reinstall it.  This fucking sucks.  Streaming is getting to be as bad as the fucking dipshits it replaced.

• Hook 'Em 2

Over time we have collection of steaming subscriptions that we barely use now. Maybe the kiddo aged out, or the shows we subscribed for died. Anyhow, I’m culling the herd tomorrow. Kinda feel like there should be an unofficial annual holiday for streaming unsubscribe. 

The emails each say that unless you delete the app you’ll continue to get YTTV unless the other one discontinues the service. And there’s no new customers. So it sounds like you’ll continue to get YTTV over Roku. Just don’t delete the app.

The emails each say that unless you delete the app you’ll continue to get YTTV unless the other one discontinues the service. And there’s no new customers. So it sounds like you’ll continue to get YTTV over Roku. Just don’t delete the app.

This is correct.

And Roku isn’t really innocent here. YTTV wants to be able to have voice search that works just in their app only (instead of all of Roku), and they want a new codec to be used that works better, but it would require Roku to use more expensive chipsets to decode it.

Both are at fault, but it’s all about dumb shit.

I guess anything to do with TV is all about fucking the consumer every which way possible.  There should be a streaming service called NowThisTV.  Their motto could be "We tell you up front that you're getting butt fucked"

I knew it would end up like the shitshow it has become. I blame att and time Warner just because

Anyone else have trouble streaming Apple TV plus on their Roku?  Wife got a new IPhone and the resulting one year of free Apple TV Plus.  I can run it on all my devices except the television through Roku.  My Roku is listed as compatible and I have tried all the suggestions I found on the web.  I have to play it on my computer with my Windows 10 connect to my Roku, which is a bit of a pain, as the computer is in another room, which gives control issues.

11 hours ago, markstanco said:

Any word on negotiations with yttv and fox sports? Miss the rangers and stars.

I heard part of a Cuban interview about it on the Ticket.   Takeaway was that the owners/leagues are frustrated but hands are tied.  And he seems to think it will be resolved some time next spring and the likely resolution is Sinclair/Bally's offering their own streaming service for regional networks/games.  

YouTube just sent out an email that said you'll be able to access YouTube TV via the regular YouTube app on Roku until they get their shit straightened out.

An update for our Roku users: Today we’re introducing a feature that gives you a new way to access YouTube TV from within the YouTube app. This update will be available to all YouTube TV members on Roku over the next few days, and we will expand to as many devices as we can over time.

Here is how it works:

• Make sure you have the YouTube app downloaded from the Roku Channel Store
  • From the YouTube app, simply click on “Go to YouTube TV” in the left-hand menu of the app
  • If it’s your first time doing this, you’ll need to sign in to YouTube TV
  • You can learn more in our Help Center

We’re still working to come to an agreement with Roku to ensure continued access to the YouTube TV app for our mutual customers. As of right now, existing YouTube TV members still have access to the YouTube TV app on Roku devices.

As a reminder, you can still cast to your Roku device from your mobile device, tablet, or computer by following these simple steps. You can also continue to access the YouTube TV app using all of the devices listed here.

We hope this is helpful and thank you again for your patience. For further updates on this issue and our efforts to resolve it, please visit this website.

Sincerely,
The YouTube TV team

After years of overpaying for AT&T U-verse, I finally have the option to get Google Fiber.  I am planning to use YTTV as my main streaming option.  One question I have pertains to commercials.  I am seeing a lot of conflicting information regarding being able to ff through commercials with YTTV.  What is the current state?  Realistically, what will I have to be able to tolerate?

I am seeing a lot of conflicting information regarding being able to ff through commercials with YTTV.

The confusion is because when you watch a Video on Demand (VOD) program, you generally can't FF through commercials. But you can FF through all commercials if you recorded it on your DVR.

There was a brief moment in time where all CBS content on YTTV, even if you DVRed it, would only let you watch it VOD, with no FF. But that went away a while ago. And it seems YTTV has all content providers on the same page now as far as I can tell.

Every time you record something, if it is also available on VOD, both will show up in your recordings and you will be given a choice of which version to watch. If you can't seem to FF, you probably started watching a VOD without realizing it. You will be able to tell by the look of the scroll bar as it will show and highlights where the commercials are.

And if you set a show in reruns to record, your DVR may fill out some of the episodes with VOD until that episode airs again on a random cable channel. So for a couple months after I set Big Bang Theory to record, it will fill in gaps with VOD until all the episodes have shown up on TNT or whatever. But shows are in such heavy rotation, it takes no time at all to have all episodes of just about anything you want "recorded" on your cloud DVR.

The most common for me is when I start recording a first run show after a couple of episodes have aired, like Yellowstone, the episodes I missed will be VOD until they reair.

Another plus is the YTTV DVR is unlimited and will keep recordings for 9 months. But just about everything you want to record save sports shows again and again, and your DVR automatically refreshes and records it to restart the clock. And even sports reair more than you think in the wee hours of ESPNU and FS2.

The downside, which is mentioned above, is that the tab showing you the most recent recordings tend to fill up with not current stuff it rerecords automatically.
  • Hook 'Em 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/26/2021 at 1:37 PM, DCLonghorn said:

So do I have to wait until the service expires before I use the link?  Or can I cancel, then use the link to restart service before it expires.

You have to wait until your YTTV service turns off to restart it with the new discount code from Sprint/T-Mo.

You can cancel YTTV any time, and it will continue until your cancelation/billing date...you'll get the full month you paid for.

A few days/a week before your service is set to end, apply for a code at T-Mo.

As soon as the service shuts off (it was at an odd time of day for me...8p or something like that) you can reactivate with the T-Mo code. You just sign up like you would as a new customer with the code link, use the same email address, and YTTV will remember you. Make sure the code is accepted on the checkout page. I had to try it a few times for it to recognize the code. But I used a tablet and it kept getting confused between the app and the web sign up page. Might be cleaner to do so on a computer/web page. Just keep trying. No need to apply for a new code.

All of your DVRed stuff and guide preferences will be saved.

Even having to try it a few times, the whole process was fast. You'll only be without for a few minutes.

• Like 1

is the tmobile discount indefinite or just a year?
T-Mo language acts like it will be ongoing. They mention that after the first year they may move YTTV to your T-Mo bill to continue get the discount. This was in response to the customer annoyance at the prospect of having to do this process again in a year.

YTTV language reads like it's just for a year.

Reads to me that T-Mo and YTTV struck a deal for 1 year, but T-Mo intends to keep doing it...we'll see if that changes in a year.

Although depending on the promotion, various T-Mo plans currently gives away free Hulu (legacy Sprint program), Netflix, Amazon Prime (older but active promotion), and now YTTV discount to replace their short lived streaming product. I imagine some of this will get consolidated at they continue the merger process.
  • Hook 'Em 1

After years of overpaying for AT&T U-verse, I finally have the option to get Google Fiber.  I am planning to use YTTV as my main streaming option.  One question I have pertains to commercials.  I am seeing a lot of conflicting information regarding being able to ff through commercials with YTTV.  What is the current state?  Realistically, what will I have to be able to tolerate?
Suggested shows from your viewing habits you cant FF though.

T-Mo language acts like it will be ongoing. They mention that after the first year they may move YTTV to your T-Mo bill to continue get the discount. This was in response to the customer annoyance at the prospect of having to do this process again in a year.

YTTV language reads like it's just for a year.

Reads to me that T-Mo and YTTV struck a deal for 1 year, but T-Mo intends to keep doing it...we'll see if that changes in a year.

Although depending on the promotion, various T-Mo plans currently gives away free Hulu (legacy Sprint program), Netflix, Amazon Prime (older but active promotion), and now YTTV discount to replace their short lived streaming product. I imagine some of this will get consolidated at they continue the merger process.

The answer is likely buried in this thread, but is LHN available on YTTV?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So just got a new Samsung TV. Because you can’t get YTTV on a new Roku, I’m just getting YTTV through the app on the TV instead of using a Roku like on all the other TVs.

For some reason the YTTV picture isn’t very sharp. And you can see motion ghosts is fast action like sporting events. Doesn’t happen on Netflix on same tv or YTTV through Rokus on other TVs.

Anyone have any ideas on this?