Cord Cutters Thread

6 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

So, as long as my TV or streaming box is on my Wifi, it comes up with a little "xfinity" logo unless I log into AT&T TV (DTVN).  LHN is on there.  Just tried it.

On AT&T, I have to use their app to get to the "channels."

hmmmm.....thanks for looking.

I have two browsers open...one is logged into ESPN, and authorized with a buddy's DTV I use for LHN....it's working.  I did the same thing on the other browser as described above...no go. I've never heard of LHN being available via ESPN3 or streaming only.  And curious that Xfinity does it when Comcast doesn't carry LHN.  I don't doubt it...but I am confused.

I just clicked through every current live option on ESPN.com with the Xfinity Internet creds...I can't watch any of it.  All the linear ESPN channels except LHN are "not included in your current television subscription..." LNH is "not authorized"...and ESPN+ wants the usual separate login.  There is currently nothing listed as being on ESPN3 "airing" right now to test, but I understand that I do get ESPN3 content via Xfinity Internet, but that's kind of hypothetical as I haven't tried to watch anything on ESPN3 since ESPN+ launched.  And there are only a handful of ESPN3 things on later in the day.  As expected and announced, they moved almost everything over from ESPN3 to ESPN+.  I CAN watch replays of today's ESPN3 content, which consists exclusively of talk shows.

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

Is this why my Roku gets ESPN3 through either ATTTV (DTVN) or Xfinity, but the POS Apple Tv only gets it through Xfinity?   I assumed it was the general shittiness of the Apple TV device.   

On 9/13/2019 at 1:02 PM, DCLonghorn said:

hmmmm.....thanks for looking.

I have two browsers open...one is logged into ESPN, and authorized with a buddy's DTV I use for LHN....it's working.  I did the same thing on the other browser as described above...no go. I've never heard of LHN being available via ESPN3 or streaming only.  And curious that Xfinity does it when Comcast doesn't carry LHN.  I don't doubt it...but I am confused.

Is it because I am in Texas?  It comes with my sports channels on ATTTVN (DTVN) but my buddy in Portland doesn’t get it.  Maybe xfinity is doing something similar. 

Built a Grey Hoverman antenna today in about an hour using scrap crap from the garage.  Didn't put a reflector on it and just propped it up in a chair by a window.  Got 32 channels in 78748.  All 32 signals are strong.

Halfway through my Youtube TV trial.  Navigates best with a Roku.  Fucking thumbnails expanding with a mouse hoover is annoying when using a PC.  My android device didn't like it.  TV guide sucks cock by choice.  Channel choice is nice, picture is nice, DVR is awesome.  Getting the wife to play with it (pun intended) instead of grabbing the Spectrum remote has been a nightmare.

On 9/14/2019 at 3:53 PM, Liquor and Poker said:

Is it because I am in Texas?  It comes with my sports channels on ATTTVN (DTVN) but my buddy in Portland doesn’t get it.  Maybe xfinity is doing something similar. 

Yeah...that's got to be it.  I didn't realize LHN was offered on AT&T digital packages like it is on legacy DirecTV, and it makes sense they'd have it in a different tier in Texas than the rest of is just like DTV.  I thought you meant that you were logged in to your XFinity account instead of your AT&T account. Thx.

3 hours ago, DCLonghorn said:

Yeah...that's got to be it.  I didn't realize LHN was offered on AT&T digital packages like it is on legacy DirecTV, and it makes sense they'd have it in a different tier in Texas than the rest of is just like DTV.  I thought you meant that you were logged in to your XFinity account instead of your AT&T account. Thx.

No, I'm saying I get it on my Xfinity internet without logging in as long as the device at issue is on my Xfinity internet, either via ethernet cable or wifi.

Is this why my Roku gets ESPN3 through either ATTTV (DTVN) or Xfinity, but the POS Apple Tv only gets it through Xfinity?   I assumed it was the general shittiness of the Apple TV device.   

Your problem has nothing to do with your streaming hardware.

I’m in Austin with DTVnow or AttTv whatever they call it using Apple TV and get the channels you seem to be lacking.

2 hours ago, YChang said:

Your problem has nothing to do with your streaming hardware.

I’m in Austin with DTVnow or AttTv whatever they call it using Apple TV and get the channels you seem to be lacking.

It absolutely did.  We're talking about the ESPN app, not the "channels" on ATTVN.   I was getting a 00033 "Not Authorized" error on every program but the main ESPN feed, the main ESPN2 feed, and LHN for the Apple TV  when logged into ATTTVN (or whatever stupid name they gave it now), but the Roku downstairs was fine.  Same login, same access, everything the same except the device.  But when I logged out of ATTTVN pn the AppleTV and used my Xfinity wifi for access to the ESPN app, I got ESPN3 on the AppleTV just fine.  Both devices worked fine on the ATTTVN app's ESPN channels, including SECN, which didn't work on the ESPN Apple TV app, but did on the ATTTVN.  

So I bought another Roku and the problem went away .  I could swap between the devices and the new Roku would show everything on the ESPN app but the AppleTV wouldn't. 

As a bonus, I got to ditch that shitty overengineered Apple TV remote, the lack of spotify, and my general annoyance level with Apple's half-assed commitment to their overpriced device.  So I'm good.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Liquor and Poker said:

So I bought another Roku and the problem went away .  I could swap between the devices and the new Roku would show everything on the ESPN app but the AppleTV wouldn't. 

As a bonus, I got to ditch that shitty overengineered Apple TV remote, the lack of spotify, and my general annoyance level with Apple's half-assed commitment to their overpriced device.  So I'm good.

Glad you found something worked for you. But that's an interesting problem you described. Never had an issue with ESPN app on my Apple TV either. Strange.

On 9/12/2019 at 7:55 AM, Spur08 said:

PSVue seems to have gone down hill over the past year. I have it on every TV (via Fire stick or the like). My main TV and only the main has been buggy as hell with Vue. I'll start it up, go to the guide and after a few second, the guide disappears. It's a frustrating game of going back and forth to get the guide back and select programming.

I've tried removing and reinstalling vue with no improvement. Anyone else had this issue? It's only on this one TV that where it's a major problem.

This appears to have been corrected.  I'm not running into this problem within the last week.

• Like 1

Alright, someone give me the skinny on PSVue vs YouTube tv for sports and "wife" channels (Food/Travel/Hallmark)...
Which service am I going to get the least amount of grief from the wife after making the switch as far as ease of use.  Coming from DISH.

YouTube TV's interface is better by a mile. Probably the DVR too because Vue's DVR sucks ass. Google tends to do things right.

Vue has more sports channels. It has LHN which YTTV definitely doesn't have. Not sure about the rest of YTTV's line up but Vue basically has everything - CBS Sports, FS1, NFLN, etc.

3 hours ago, tokamak said:

YouTube TV's interface is better by a mile. Probably the DVR too because Vue's DVR sucks ass. Google tends to do things right.

Vue has more sports channels. It has LHN which YTTV definitely doesn't have. Not sure about the rest of YTTV's line up but Vue basically has everything - CBS Sports, FS1, NFLN, etc.

I agree with this.   I had massive problems with Vue but it started working again before my contract lapsed (today) so played with them side by side.  I think YTTV is superior in every way (particularly interface, DVR and picture quality) except for (i) no LHN,(ii) no option for NFL Redzone and (iii) less simultaneous streams (3 vs. 5).  For now at least I'm sticking with YTTV.  

Alright, someone give me the skinny on PSVue vs YouTube tv for sports and "wife" channels (Food/Travel/Hallmark)...
Which service am I going to get the least amount of grief from the wife after making the switch as far as ease of use.  Coming from DISH.

I picked YTTV for wife channels, and then she pretty much quit watching tv. She is technically inept, and only knows how to use Facebook on her phone. So hey maybe it doesn’t matter?
  • Like 1

PBS has announced they will have more and more of their content on streaming services in the future.  They are working on it now.  They are just really slow to the game, and have a trickier time as they have to negotiate with each station. I have Android TV/NVIDIA Shield and have the PBS app downloaded.  It has a good bit, but not a huge amount of VOD stuff for the kiddies...Super Why, etc.  And you can watch shows that air on Big PBS an hour or so after it airs...The wife was hitting refresh like a feind for The Crown.  We get just enough PBS content on the app to be content.
PBS will start phased roll out on YTTV starting Nov 4...will take nearly a year for all stations to make the stream available... being handled station by station.

https://thestreamable.com/news/youtube-tv-targeting-a-november-4th-launch-for-pbs-but-could-get-pushed-back?fbclid=IwAR1YArpuRtcXZX-Ca3C39-A6qkuWNyVaktKsFkef7aRwHj0yt6J3HEn_JoA

No clue how to embed a URL for mobile tapa...sorry.
  • Like 1

On 9/27/2019 at 9:00 AM, tokamak said:

Been using YTTV all weekend and it rocks. Got the app for my Fire devices and great. The phone app is really, really nice too. Will be calling Dish on Monday to cancel. 

Hello friends, my name is Jimmy and it has been 6 days since I told DirecTV to fuck off. It's nice to have a community to come and talk about my addiction to an over priced piece of shit service that I finally was able to kick the habit and get my life back on track. I am taking it one day at a time........

YoutubeTV for the win. (Saving almost $150 a month) 

My wife hated using the AppleTV 4K touch remote. I changed the setting to slow on the touch sensitivity and it made all the difference in the world.  

Here for the tips and pointers. 

Edited by JimmyHoffa

1 hour ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Hello friends, my name is Jimmy and it has been 6 days since I told DirecTV to fuck off. It's nice to have a community to come and talk about my addiction to an over priced piece of shit service that I finally was able to kick the habit and get my life back on track. I am taking it one day at a time........

YoutubeTV for the win. (Saving almost $150 a month) 

My wife hated using the AppleTV 4K touch remote. I changed the setting to slow on the touch sensitivity and it made all the difference in the world.  

Here for the tips and pointers. 

dont forget to add things to the DVR that you recorded before so YTTV can start adding them/recording them as they air!

A few thoughts on YTTV.  When new stations become available they do not automatically appear through the Roku interface.  I had to log on with my MacBook and actually check the box to make them appear in my channel line up.  Also, maybe it's an issue with the Mac or because I'm used to using a PC, but I find it's a pain in the ass to change the station line up order online.  But for what you get and the cost, it's still way better than DirectTV.

26 minutes ago, HouTex said:

I find it's a pain in the ass to change the station line up order online.

if the order is unique to the device (i THINK it is unique to the account) on iOS at least you can go to the live tab at the bottom, then click "sort" in top right above the live thumbnail, then your choices are "Default" and "Custom" with an edit button next to it. You can edit it from there I believe

I got to the edit or sort mode, but the list of stations is so long it was difficult (at least for me on my MacBook without a mouse) for me to click, hold and drag up or down several pages of stations.  It does allow you to move the station "to the top" which helps, but it's still a pain in the ass.  I might try it at work on my PC.

26 minutes ago, lubbockhorn88 said:

Currently on DTV, but just tried started my free trial with YTTV. Picture quality looks good so far and UI is great, but has anyone had any issues with YTTV? Would end up saving over $100/month making the switch, any reason I shouldn't?

You dont like money?

On 10/15/2019 at 6:40 AM, Nueces River Rat said:

Thinking about joining the cut the cord crowd.

Question.  My provider is Spectrum and in my area it's the only option for high speed internet and I will have to keep them as my internet provider.   Does getting rid of the TV package also deny you access to the ESPN app which has the LHN?

I have spectrum internet and Vue for streaming. No problems.