Cord Cutters Thread

15 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Those idiots at AT&T are at it again.  Today they "automatically consolidated my accounts for better service."  Shorthand - my wireless and ATTTVNow are now the same account.  Why does that matter?  Because now every person in my house who wants to watch TV must use that password (ATTTVN asks for it constantly), and with that same password they can now get full access to buy a new iphone, add a wireless line, change my wireless service, whatever.

So when my 15-year old is with her friends watching Riverdale or some shit and the nag comes up for the password, she's SOL because I don't want to give all her friends the password to my wireless account.

And yes, she should get better friends.  So should we all.

Best of all, they chose to delete the wireless password and keep the ATTTVN password as the default.  Fucking amazing.

Gotta love the corporate ideas that probably make life easier for the AT&T employees but not customers.

do they allow sub-accounts like U-verse has (had?)  of course sub-accounts make sharing easy so Corp types hate that.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Comcast is awful. Had to change my Internet plan, and dealing with their app/website/chatbot/humans was comical. Avoid if you can.

Me: Why does this email say one thing and this other email say another. And why does the app says this other thing and the web page say something else all together?

Them: Let me put you on hold and I'll find out.

...hold music...

1.5 hours later...System hangs up on me.

• Rage+1 1

My hook up that let me use their direct tv login (to stream whatever I wanted through Roku) cut the cord together.

halp. 
I really only need sports (which includes tbs and tnt come March madness and MLB playoffs time).

what's the best/cheapest streaming option?

YouTube seems to be the most solid but cons are $65 and no LHN.

I’m eyeing the sling orange with sports extra add on, but only one stream blows.

(unless someone has a direct tv or some other provider login they want to pass my way for a reasonable price)

My hook up that let me use their direct tv login (to stream whatever I wanted through Roku) cut the cord together.
halp. 
I really only need sports (which includes tbs and tnt come March madness and MLB playoffs time).
what's the best/cheapest streaming option?
YouTube seems to be the most solid but cons are $65 and no LHN.
I’m eyeing the sling orange with sports extra add on, but only one stream blows.
(unless someone has a direct tv or some other provider login they want to pass my way for a reasonable price)

PM Rage

AT&T strikes again. They raised the monthly rate $9 per month TWO months after they set a new rate that raised the cost substantially. AND they slipped in a note on my latest bill that said the free HBOMax that was part of the new pricing was only good for ninety days. Unbelievable level of dishonesty with a complete lack of integrity.

Is [mention=302]rage-a-holic[/mention] the man to talk about internet/cable? XFinity wants $80 for 200 mbp, uncapped. 
How are you getting XFinity uncapped? I thought their recent announcement rolled out 1.2 GB cap across the country? $30 extra bucks plus you have to use their modem to get unlimited. You getting 200 for $50 plus $30?!

I just reupped with Comcast/Xfinity. There are the only option here. $80.95 for 200 Mbps capped at 1.2 TB. $10 for every 50 GB over. I was on $100 for 100 GB and phone line. They no longer offer phone/Internet bundles. I finally convinced the wife to let me kill the "hard line." This is a promo rate for two years. It's $80.95 for 100 after 2 years, or $95.95 for 200 after 2 years (the prices wont stay the same that far out).

32 minutes ago, DCLonghorn said:

How are you getting XFinity uncapped? I thought their recent announcement rolled out 1.2 GB cap across the country? $30 extra bucks plus you have to use their modem to get unlimited. You getting 200 for $50 plus $30?!

I just reupped with Comcast/Xfinity. There are the only option here. $80.95 for 200 Mbps capped at 1.2 TB. $10 for every 50 GB over. I was on $100 for 100 GB and phone line. They no longer offer phone/Internet bundles. I finally convinced the wife to let me kill the "hard line." This is a promo rate for two years. It's $80.95 for 100 after 2 years, or $95.95 for 200 after 2 years (the prices wont stay the same that far out).

$70 for 200 mbps, $10 for unlimited. 

I have no idea how I went over their 1.2TB data limit, but I did it in about 16 days. 

$70 for 200 mbps, $10 for unlimited. 

I have no idea how I went over their 1.2TB data limit, but I did it in about 16 days. 
Ha! I have 6 kids at home, wife and me working from home, four teenagers with phones, and two other kids streaming all the time, three with school from home zoom classes most of the day. We are 100% streaming, 3 TVs, and an XBox. We go over the cap every month, but it's always close. Our max was 1461 month...last month...and I told the fam to go for broke and put all devices on the wifi to get to a baseline to see if we needed unlimited or could manage staying under. New Google Nest router lets me see the culprits and if everyone gets cell phones off wifi, and one kid settles down with Nintendo Switch streaming, we are under.

All that is to say...wtf are you doing man?!? Ha.

As mentioned above, the NVIDIA Sheild streaming TV in the main room is the biggest stream suck...489 GB. Second place was Google Chromecast (new one) on second TV at 142 GB. Nintendo Switch (used to stream YouTube) 126 GB. XBox 84 GB...several games downloaded for Chirstmas, XBox normal usage is very little data. Everything else way less that have that. It's all about the streaming video.

Comcast is smart...as folks figure that out, the price difference between unlimited and one of their triple play crap plans smaller.

Also, it would be great if the apps or the devices would allow for data management. The closest I've found is YouTube letting you drop the resolution for each video...but you have to change every time. I'd love to be able to tell the whole network of streamers to stay at 720. Kids wouldn't even notice.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2020 at 7:53 PM, joe dirt said:

our annual uverse promo is up in a few weeks and we’re looking to switch to something else. called today to see if there was any retention type offers if i switched to att tv. here’s what i’ve learned so far

• once we cancel uverse, we can never get it back
  • their “retention” offer to migrate to att tv costs more than the new customer price by 25% 
    • seems that att tv is the contract version of contract free att tv now
    • att tv price increases to att tv now prices in 2nd yr ($80/mo yr 1, $135/mo yr 2)
  • signing up with the wife’s info nets us $400 gc to offset the yr2 price increase 

we just finished trials of yttv, att and hulu live. what i’m quickly learning is that all these streaming services are the same, and there’s not really much difference price wise to cable/uverse. i’m leaning toward canceling uverse just so i can get att back out to reinstall the fiber lines with their new equipment. my shit is 7 years old already. 

I spent like 2 fucking hours with the reps as we are moving and I wanted to transfer my service.  I also have u-verse and shitty internet at 30mbps.  I switched to 300mbps from my current plan and they waived the equipment and installation fee.  I could carry my current u-verse over but it would come out to like $150 with taxes with no hbo max.  

You are right, it is more expensive to switch from u-verse to att tv as a current customer.  It's cheaper if you get rid of u-verse and sign up under a spouse's account.  You can bundle the internet and att tv for anywhere between $105-$120 prior to taxes with the 300 mbps internet and the choice att option.  The problem with this is it jumps up in price after a year and you will have to pay fees for the tv boxes they come with if you have multiple tvs.

Here is the route I'm taking. 

Internet:  I'm switching the internet under the current account as I have a promotion from previous years where they waive the router and equipment fee.  That comes out to $45 for 300 mbps uncapped.

TV:  I'm going to sign up for either ATT now without the contract for $85.  Includes HBO Max for a year and you can have up to 3 tvs streaming at the same time.  It basically comes out to the same price as the ATT tv option in the bundles when you include the fees for the additional boxes at $10.  Plus you're not under contract which I prefer.  

It's going to end up costing the same around $150 total with tax.  I thought cutting the cord was supposed to be cheaper???  Fuck all of these companies.  I hope amazon or another company comes out with an option that undercuts all of these assholes.  Why can't we have an a la carte option?  I really just want about 10 channels.  Between ATT now, hulu, netflix... my monthly bill is like $200 a month.  

Can’t remember if I posted, but I picked up an Amazon Fire Stick on a Cyber Monday promotion and it’s MUCH faster than either my Roku sticks or my TCL 4K Roku TV. Also, when I go to another app and then go back to YTTV it picks up where I left off vs restarting the app. It’s on a guest bedroom TV now but I’m going to switch it out for the Roku on my 60” plasma in the den.

I have fire sticks on all the TVs. I have noticed a thing where sometimes (frequently enough to be annoying) I have to force quit the yttv app to get it to start playing (rather than just hanging on a black screen or pulling up an error screen). A bug, potentially if I accidentally leave it going when I walk away. I'm sure they'll fix it at some point. Otherwise I think the fire stick is great, and particularly because of how quick it is. My other complaint is that I inevitably lose a remote if I take it on a trip.

• Like 1

I've had DISH for going on 17 years now.  Two years ago I renegotiated the Top 200 package with a Hopper 3 and a two Joeys down to $92/month.  Streaming wasn't much of an option because our internet speeds weren't great, plus Hulu, Youtube and Sling weren't yet offering local channels in our area.  So I didn't have a whole lot of leverage.

Today was the last day of that two year commitment and my bill was going back up to $122/month.  We now have fiber for internet so I no longer have concerns about streaming.  I made a list of all the channels we watch on Dish and cross-referenced to what we could get in we cut the cord. Youtube was the closest we could get, but we'd still lose Longhorn and Hallmark (and those fucking Christmas movies that they show one after another for four goddamn months straight).  I have a way around the Longhorn thing, but the Hallmark is a deal-breaker...no Hallmark, no BJs. So I'd be spitting out $65/month for Youtube and $8/month for something called frndly TV to get Hallmark.

I called Dish today to tell them they had to get me down close to that or I would have to cancel.  I'd cleared a couple of hours off my evening expecting it to last awhile.  20 minutes later, I'm getting the same package I'd already had, plus 4 months of Showtime and Starz for $77/month for a year.  I give up a few extra bucks a month for the convenience of continuing to use what we already have.

19 hours ago, Burt said:

I've had DISH for going on 17 years now.  Two years ago I renegotiated the Top 200 package with a Hopper 3 and a two Joeys down to $92/month.  Streaming wasn't much of an option because our internet speeds weren't great, plus Hulu, Youtube and Sling weren't yet offering local channels in our area.  So I didn't have a whole lot of leverage.

Today was the last day of that two year commitment and my bill was going back up to $122/month.  We now have fiber for internet so I no longer have concerns about streaming.  I made a list of all the channels we watch on Dish and cross-referenced to what we could get in we cut the cord. Youtube was the closest we could get, but we'd still lose Longhorn and Hallmark (and those fucking Christmas movies that they show one after another for four goddamn months straight).  I have a way around the Longhorn thing, but the Hallmark is a deal-breaker...no Hallmark, no BJs. So I'd be spitting out $65/month for Youtube and $8/month for something called frndly TV to get Hallmark.

I called Dish today to tell them they had to get me down close to that or I would have to cancel.  I'd cleared a couple of hours off my evening expecting it to last awhile.  20 minutes later, I'm getting the same package I'd already had, plus 4 months of Showtime and Starz for $77/month for a year.  I give up a few extra bucks a month for the convenience of continuing to use what we already have.

I think Halmark has its own app.  Or they have an add on to YTTV or something.  

On 1/16/2021 at 1:22 AM, Burt said:

Yeah, I just checked.  YouTube TV offers an add-on of Hallmark Movies Now for and extra $5.99 per month.

https://www.nexttv.com/news/hallmark-movies-now-launched-on-youtube-tv

Either way, you're looking at $6 to $8 a month for BJ's?  I mean, not sure how many knob slobs a month we're talking here, but even if it's only one, that's an average of around $7 per beej.  That's a great price in any market.

But yeah, I guess if DISH got you down to $77, that's pretty tough to beat.  Plus it eliminates the possibility of wife not embracing the change in technology and BJs drying up altogether, which is very possible.

Anyway, I think you made the right call.

Edited by Landomatic
  • Hook 'Em 1

ended up going with at&t tv with the contract. the 2nd year contract price puts me in line with what we had with uverse tv. when i called to cancel, they asked why so i told them we signed up for at&t tv in my wife’s name. the rep made sure to schedule my cancel date/time to coincide with the new installation of fiber to avoid downtime.  she also gave us $10/mo discount for as long as we keep the acct. 

we paid $80/mo for internet under our uverse package, now we’re at $60/mo. they come to install tmrw, so i’m hoping we get set up with their new equipment.

On 1/16/2021 at 1:22 AM, Burt said:

frndly TV to get Hallmark is the way to go. Works great and is cheap... and if you wife is like mine will like addition of UpTV channel which it has.

The YTTV Hallmark add-on is just movies and not the channels -- she will not be happy with just that

YTTV  + Frndly is where I am at now and everyone loves it

11 hours ago, NAVY said:

Was poking around on Apple TV yesterday and found an offer I thought to share with y’all. Apple TV+ content free for a year and 5.99 each month after. 

immediately started binging Ted Lasso. Awesome show 

Where do you see that? I see an offer for 7 days free on my Apple TV screen. 

36 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Where do you see that? I see an offer for 7 days free on my Apple TV screen. 

Based on your comment I dug a little deeper. Looks like that offer is tied to the purchase of an Apple device. Since my kid got a new iPad for Christmas, that offer was presented on my screen. Honestly, it seemed too good to true so I snatched it up without much research 

Linkage and sorry   https://www.apple.com/apple-tv-plus/

1 minute ago, NAVY said:

Based on your comment I dug a little deeper. Looks like that offer is tied to the purchase of an Apple device. Since my kid got a new iPad for Christmas, that offer was presented on my screen. Honestly, it seemed too good to true so I snatched it up without much research 

No worries. I wanted to see if I was missing something.

its disappointing that Apple offers a free year if you buy a new Apple device. I bought a new iPad in November but I didn’t get an offer. 

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

No worries. I wanted to see if I was missing something.

its disappointing that Apple offers a free year if you buy a new Apple device. I bought a new iPad in November but I didn’t get an offer. 

Check your eligibility. T&C says offer good 3 mo after purchase. 

84D6290A-C938-4E70-AEB7-E70DF9A3AAB9.jpeg

• Like 1

On 1/17/2021 at 9:57 AM, Landomatic said:

Yeah, I just checked.  YouTube TV offers an add-on of Hallmark Movies Now for and extra $5.99 per month.

https://www.nexttv.com/news/hallmark-movies-now-launched-on-youtube-tv

Either way, you're looking at $6 to $8 a month for BJ's?  I mean, not sure how many knob slobs a month we're talking here, but even if it's only one, that's an average of around $7 per beej.  That's a great price in any market.

But yeah, I guess if DISH got you down to $77, that's pretty tough to beat.  Plus it eliminates the possibility of wife not embracing the change in technology and BJs drying up altogether, which is very possible.

Anyway, I think you made the right call.

May want to check frndly app... $5.99/mo

Appears to have all 3 Hallmark Channels plus 12 other channels including "The Weather Channel" and "The Outdoor Channel"

30 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Thank @NAVY I chatted with Apple support over iMessage. They never figured why I wasn’t offered the free year but they went ahead and gave me a redemption code for a free year after a 20 minute chat. Thanks for mentioning this. 

Shows Ted Lasso and For All Mankind have been great so far. Glad to see you got the promo code. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, scottsins said:

Is this the place where I ask about how to watch “The Big Game” w/o an HD antenna. Hulu Live dropped CBS local a while back and I’ve put off the antenna purchase.

Is my best option just the usual hacked streams like sportsurge, etc?

CBS All Access is offering a free trial, too.  At least if you forget to cancel that it'll only put you out $6.

On 1/23/2021 at 9:50 AM, NAVY said:

On 1/23/2021 at 10:55 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Thank @NAVY I chatted with Apple support over iMessage. They never figured why I wasn’t offered the free year but they went ahead and gave me a redemption code for a free year after a 20 minute chat. Thanks for mentioning this. 

Wait.  I bought 3 iPhones this Christmas for my wife and kids.  We are eligible for a year of Free apple tv?

1 hour ago, TexasEd said:

Wait.  I bought 3 iPhones this Christmas for my wife and kids.  We are eligible for a year of Free apple tv?

Yes but you need to move fast. It’s only available for a limited time.  I had to speak to Apple chat in order to get it. They couldn’t understand why Apple TV+ wasn’t automatically offering me a free year. I had to basically prove my purchase, which was odd, but once I sent them my receipt over chat, they gave me a promo code for a free year.  Your mileage may vary. 

to be clear, they didn’t give me a free Apple TV device. I got the service for free for a year.

• Hook 'Em 1

I've tried the Big 3 Live TV Streaming Services, Fubo TV, Hulu Live TV, and YouTube TV, and Fubo is far and way the best service. Darned every sports channel you'd ever want with the notable exception of LHN. For Houston folks, the basic package includes AT&T SportsNet Southwest which is all of the Rockets and Astros games. Very user friendly interface, good cloud DVR included, and I like selection of channels.  

That said, it's not cheap. $64.99 with an additional $5.00 in taxes. This is much cheaper than cable, but much more expensive than Reddit streams. 

You can bundle Hulu Live + Hulu (no ads) + Disney Plus + ESPN Plus for about $70 after taxes. This is probably your best bang for your buck, but the Hulu Live TV channels are pretty limited, and no local sports. 

YouTube TV flat out sucks as there is no DVR in the basic package. 

9 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I've tried the Big 3 Live TV Streaming Services, Fubo TV, Hulu Live TV, and YouTube TV, and Fubo is far and way the best service. Darned every sports channel you'd ever want with the notable exception of LHN. For Houston folks, the basic package includes AT&T SportsNet Southwest which is all of the Rockets and Astros games. Very user friendly interface, good cloud DVR included, and I like selection of channels.  

That said, it's not cheap. $64.99 with an additional $5.00 in taxes. This is much cheaper than cable, but much more expensive than Reddit streams. 

You can bundle Hulu Live + Hulu (no ads) + Disney Plus + ESPN Plus for about $70 after taxes. This is probably your best bang for your buck, but the Hulu Live TV channels are pretty limited, and no local sports. 

YTTV has unlimited cloud DVR included

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

YTTV has unlimited cloud DVR included

And it works very well, particularly for live sports.  If a game runs long (based on the scheduled start and end times), for instance, it records until the end of the game.  It also automatically keeps up with game time changes, so if you add a game to the library, it will record it even if the scheduled time changes.  It was very easy to set it to record all Texas football and basketball games.  You can do this for any team across the major sports.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

the unlimited DVR is literally one of their best features. especially when everyone else has some form of limited DVR sizes.

1 hour ago, SizzleChest said:

And it works very well, particularly for live sports.  If a game runs long (based on the scheduled start and end times), for instance, it records until the end of the game.  It also automatically keeps up with game time changes, so if you add a game to the library, it will record it even if the scheduled time changes.  It was very easy to set it to record all Texas football and basketball games.  You can do this for any team across the major sports.

this is super underrated. want to watch all of (any sports team in any major sport) - just search for it. want to only record NFL playoff games? boom - done. MLB? same.

the extended times help for almost every sporting even that has even a tiny chance of running over.