Cord Cutters Thread

1 hour ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Do roku express remotes work interchangeably? So any roku express remote will work with any box? That would probably solve a lot of my problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Don’t have a roku box but do have two tcl roku TVs and remotes are interchangeable, that’s all I got

That's my backup for my Apple TV bc that little fucker is so small and skinny, it gets lost in the couch real easily. 

Yea we do that but it has its own problems. Sometimes the firestick won’t connect and if anything happens to the wifi the phone is shit out of luck

On 9/19/2021 at 3:15 PM, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Do roku express remotes work interchangeably? So any roku express remote will work with any box? That would probably solve a lot of my problems

In my experience any roku remote will work with any box. Just have to pair 'em.

I need help with YoutubeTV through a Roku.  I'm watching a show, a commercial comes on so I go to the grid out of curiosity, the commercial is over, how do I kill the grid to get back to my show?
If it's the same UI as NVIDIA/Android TV, press back once, that will take you to the top of the grid, then press up to go to your show title, and press enter/center button.

If you want the grid to stay on the channel you were looking at, you can press to change to that channel for a second, press down three times and you will see the last show you were watching. Click on that. And the next time you go to the grid, it will be where you left off instead of the top. If you do the easier first option above, you will always start at the top of the grid.

If this is not the same on a Roku....uh...never mind.

On 9/16/2021 at 7:13 PM, Buzzrock said:

I did the same. The 4K sports look great but there’s just not enough games to justify an extra $10 and eventually $20 per month.

So I’ll probably end up keeping it.

Can't you get most games in 4K by using the respective app (Fox, ESPN, etc.) and signing in with your YTTV account? 

I'm not sure if YTTV is specifically to blame here, from what I'm reading it seems like NBC/Comcast wants to charge more. In any case, they need to work this shit out because this just involves too many channels that I watch, and I just subscribed to YTTV a few weeks ago and I'd hate to bail on it so soon. And I don't know of any other (low-cost) provider that has a comparable "DVR" feature and the range of channels that YTTV has.

19 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

You guys see YTTV threatening to drop the nbc platform?

I mean at that point I may as well go back to cable. I’m really saving nothing these days and I’ll get bally sports back without the stupid sports delay.

Gone are the days of vue or directtv now for 35 a month.

yeah, I'm not going to be paying the reported $23/month for a regional bally's sports either. That's just crazy seeing as I only want it for Stars games.

20 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

You guys see YTTV threatening to drop the nbc platform?

I mean at that point I may as well go back to cable. I’m really saving nothing these days and I’ll get bally sports back without the stupid sports delay.

Gone are the days of vue or directtv now for 35 a month.

Looks like they are going to drop the price $10 per month while the NBC networks are off the air.  My antenna and I can live with that for a while. 

22 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Looks like they are going to drop the price $10 per month while the NBC networks are off the air.  My antenna and I can live with that for a while. 

Have YTTV mainly for the multiple streams, DVR and local channels (I miss PS Vue!).  Watching YTTV and seeing a lot of ads for youneedchannels.com.  Anyone have any scoop?

Is the NBC thing definitely happening? I haven't gotten an email or anything yet. Does Peacock show all the live sports that are on NBC and NBCSN? If so, I'm covered. 
I don't think all sports are on Peacock. But I'm guessing/extrapolating.

The EPL games scheduled for this weekend on NBC or NBCSN don't show up on the Peacock schedule. EPL games on NBC or NBCSN will stream on NBCSports app according to a press release, but that requires a cable log in, which won't work with YTTV creds if this happens.

But the Notre Game game looks like it will be on both NBC and Peacock.

This past July, the Tour de France had a different feed with different commentators between NBCSN and Peacock.

All Sunday NFL games with be on both NBC and Peacock.

Also, NBCSN is shutting down by end of year. Not sure what that means for NHL, NASCAR, or EPL. Probably more to Peacock, and some to USA.
  • Hook 'Em 1

https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/09/28/nbcuniversal-tried-to-force-google-to-bundle-youtube-tv-and-peacock/

At the moment Google and NBCUniversal are in the middle of an old-fashioned carrier dispute, arguing over who should pay who and how much for access to NBC channels on YouTube TV. These kinds of fights are a dime a dozen with cable and satellite providers, as are the insulting "call your cable company/call the channel owners to complain" attempts to get consumers to pick a side. But according to an industry researcher, this familiar story has a new streaming twist.

Ars Technica quotes investor research firm LightShed, saying that NBCUniversal demanded that Google bundle YouTube TV with its own self-branded Peacock streaming service as a condition of carrying NBC channels. Since this is probably the first time you're hearing about Peacock for several months: the fledgling streaming service, built on the back of NBC's deep library of broadcast TV shows, launched early last year. In 2020 it lost almost a billion dollars.

Apparently NBC owner Comcast thought it could inject some life into Peacock by forcing YouTube TV subscribers to pay for its content. Peacock offers a few shows and movies for free, with the full library costing $5 a month with advertising or $10 a month on the ad-free premium tier. Peacock would then be able to count YouTube TV's subscribers — estimated at 4million — among its own.

Adding to the strangeness of the demand, a Google representative told Ars that under the proposed terms, YouTube TV subscribers wouldn't actually be able to access NBC broadcast affiliates or other premium channels on YouTube TV itself. Users would need to download the dedicated Peacock app in order to access those live channels. With YouTube TV viewers forced off the platform to watch the content that Google was already paying for, there would apparently be zero incentive for Google to take the deal.

That plan fell through, obviously. Negotiations between YouTube TV and NBCUniversal continue, with the 14-channel block set to go dark on Thursday, September 30th if they can't reach an agreement. According to the source, while both parties are still trying to hash out a deal, bundling Peacock subscriptions with YouTube TV is no longer in active consideration.

Edited by Viper

3 hours ago, HouTex said:

YoutubeTV’s email said they will drop their price by $10 per month while the content is off their platform. peacock premium is 4.99. I’d rather not have to switch channels on the Roku, but apparently I can get the same content for a little less money.

YTTV want people to know how utterly shitty Peacock is by driving them to it.  Then they'll come back.

14 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

YTTV want people to know how utterly shitty Peacock is by driving them to it.  Then they'll come back.

this x100... if even 2 people sign up for it it will likely crater their shitty service... god knows what will happen if thousands try at once.

slow is apparently their offering....  just head over to reddit to see all there complaints about stuff not working

this x100... if even 2 people sign up for it it will likely crater their shitty service... god knows what will happen if thousands try at once.
slow is apparently their offering....  just head over to reddit to see all there complaints about stuff not working
I haven't had any major issues with Peacock. I get it for free from my ISP. The annoying parts of Peacock persist on all the streaming apps that show live sports. Live sports are an afterthought on the menus, unless they put it in the banner. But that's hit or miss. If not in the banner, it's a scavenger hunt to find your event. Paramount is much much shittier than Peacock for sports. It's not uncommon for P+ to not get a live sports stream rolling until 5 minutes into the game. And it's not uncommon for sports to not hit the guide until they start. So there is always a scramble to find your game or even know if it's actually on the app, until it starts. But both P+ and Peac are a pain. ESPN+ is much better, but even with them, I prefer to watch something on YTTV with the DVR and better controls than the same event on the app. I've never watched NFL on Amazon or any Hulu live sports, so no experience there.

Reminder: Not all sports in the Comcast/NBC universe are streamed on Peacock. Most are, and it seems all football might be, but not all sports. So it's not a full replacement.

If what is being reported is true, that Comcast wanted to force YTTV to make us all buy/pay extra and use Peacock through YTTV, fuck off Comcast.

This sucks.  90% of my wife's viewing is NBC local and Bravo.   I'm not going to last long without these.  I love YTTV but if this is prolonged, what are the best options?   Based on this tread I refuse to buy Peacock if they are trying to force than on YTTV.  Fuck that.

Edited by Skipper

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

This sucks.  90% of my wife's viewing is NBC local and Bravo.   I'm not going to last long without these.  I love YTTV but if this is prolonged, what are the best options?   Based on this tread I refuse to buy Peacock if they are trying to force than on YTTV.  Fuck that.

Can you go OTA for local and then use Bravo app?  Looks like a lot of their programming is available the day after they air. 

https://www.bravotv.com/mobile/bravo-now

On 9/29/2021 at 10:11 AM, DCLonghorn said:

I haven't had any major issues with Peacock. I get it for free from my ISP. The annoying parts of Peacock persist on all the streaming apps that show live sports. Live sports are an afterthought on the menus, unless they put it in the banner. But that's hit or miss. If not in the banner, it's a scavenger hunt to find your event. Paramount is much much shittier than Peacock for sports. It's not uncommon for P+ to not get a live sports stream rolling until 5 minutes into the game. And it's not uncommon for sports to not hit the guide until they start. So there is always a scramble to find your game or even know if it's actually on the app, until it starts. But both P+ and Peac are a pain. ESPN+ is much better, but even with them, I prefer to watch something on YTTV with the DVR and better controls than the same event on the app. I've never watched NFL on Amazon or any Hulu live sports, so no experience there.

Reminder: Not all sports in the Comcast/NBC universe are streamed on Peacock. Most are, and it seems all football might be, but not all sports. So it's not a full replacement.

If what is being reported is true, that Comcast wanted to force YTTV to make us all buy/pay extra and use Peacock through YTTV, fuck off Comcast.

I added the rest of the article, but it's weirder than that. Comcast wanted you to have to watch nbc and all their channels through peacock as a separate app you'd have to download, setup, and open to use.

Can you go OTA for local and then use Bravo app?  Looks like a lot of their programming is available the day after they air. 
https://www.bravotv.com/mobile/bravo-now
For the channel specific apps, you still have to have your providers log in credentials, which right now works with YTTV. But it won't once/if this happens. You've got to pay for the channel is some way to have the credentials to login in to that app. Some of them may let you watch content for free, but most don't. No idea about bravo app specifically.

I added the rest of the article, but it's weirder than that. Comcast wanted you to have to watch nbc and all their channels through peacock as a separate app you'd have to download, setup, and open to use.
I saw that, but can't figure out how that is practical. Peacock doesn't currently show the local NBC feed. So I don't see how they could expect folks to watch that on Peacock. Paramount does show the local channel. Maybe Peacock plans to roll that out.

Peacock has 20 or so "channels" that look very much like Pluto or other free OTT streamers. But they are specific to Comcast. An EPL channel, a USA channel, NBC News Now, Fallon 24/7, Dateline 24/7, etc... But they are not the real USA channel. It's a Peacock specific USA light channel. It is currently showing a Covert Affairs binge.

Peacock is a bit of a mashup of a Netflix like interface of content plus their "channels" Pluto like interface and content.

Following up on my last about Peacock being the better app than Paramount+... Fucking P+ is "currently experiencing some technical difficulties. Please check again later." right before a soccer game I bought this fucking app for. Sports on P+ is real damn sketchy. But they do show the local channel.

YTTV is smart to push back on this.  I love their product but price creep was already a bit out of control and losing FSSW/Bally's without a decrease was already a big issue with me and I'm sure plenty of others that primarily watch sports.  A price increase for "Peacock" combined with what sounds like ridiculous functionality would have been a tipping point for many I'm sure.

So what else has good sports + locals + NBC?   Is there another option?

42 minutes ago, DCLonghorn said:

Peacock has 20 or so "channels" that look very much like Pluto or other free OTT streamers. But they are specific to Comcast. An EPL channel, a USA channel, NBC News Now, Fallon 24/7, Dateline 24/7, etc... But they are not the real USA channel. It's a Peacock specific USA light channel. It is currently showing a Covert Affairs binge.

But Why GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

27 minutes ago, Skipper said:

YTTV is smart to push back on this.  I love their product but price creep was already a bit out of control and losing FSSW/Bally's without a decrease was already a big issue with me and I'm sure plenty of others that primarily watch sports.  A price increase for "Peacock" combined with what sounds like ridiculous functionality would have been a tipping point for many I'm sure.

So what else has good sports + locals + NBC?   Is there another option?

I would seriously consider getting an antenna for the house. OTA sports looks at least 10x better than streaming sports.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Viper said:

I would seriously consider getting an antenna for the house. OTA sports looks at least 10x better than streaming sports.

This is probably a really stupid question.  But went from DTV to YTTV so have never looked into HD antenna's or know anything about them.  Do you need 1 per TV? 

Just now, tbone_ said:

How would this work if you have say 6 TVs?

either a small antenna for each tv, or one big one on top of the house and plug it into the same coax you use for cable. I used the same pole and wire my DirecTv dish used, just replaced the dish with an antenna. Splitting it 6 ways might weaken the signal though so you might need an amplifier or possibly do a mix of the two and get individual antennas for tv's that are by a window pointing in the way of the stations. Other option is to get a hdhomerun box or 4k to get ready for 4k OTA (or equivalent like a Firebox or tablo) and hook it up to your internet and stream to your tvs. Some of them like the hdhomerun will feed into the LiveChannels app on google tv.

• Like 1