Cord Cutters Thread

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

You can't?  In AppleTV I just click once on the clickpad if a program is on, and it stops.  A timebar appears at the bottom. Plus I can maneuver up/down by time (i.e. skip commercials).  It's kind of rough (not fine-tuned) but once you learn how to work the remote, it does a pretty good job.

They just recently added DVR to Roku so maybe that is getting rolled out later.

59 minutes ago, Okie State said:

They're all going to slowly raise prices once enough people have switched over.

You can’t tell me that the cable providers don’t see a day where they can switch everyone over to streaming, dump the cable boxes and quietly raise the prices back to the pre cord cutting days.  

I read that a couple of days ago (ATT).  

I am on their $35 GO Big from when they started.  It is now going to be $40, still cheaper than regular price of $60.  

I did a comparison of all the plans.  I am still getting all the channels I want for the same price or cheaper than other services.

I don't watch all these channels, and I would be happy with their base plan (which would be the same price).

I read that a couple of days ago (ATT).  
I am on their $35 GO Big from when they started.  It is now going to be $40, still cheaper than regular price of $60.  
I did a comparison of all the plans.  I am still getting all the channels I want for the same price or cheaper than other services.
I don't watch all these channels, and I would be happy with their base plan (which would be the same price).

Did you get a notice regarding a price increase? I’m also on the introductory promo rate, and recall them stating it would be for the life of your service... I’ve not received a notice regarding an increase.

Did you get a notice regarding a price increase? I’m also on the introductory promo rate, and recall them stating it would be for the life of your service... I’ve not received a notice regarding an increase.

I read somewhere that the “promo price” for those who signed up in the early days would not be changing.

On 7/5/2018 at 3:34 PM, Godzillatron said:

Huh... I got a notice.  I suppose I will see.

At DIRECTV NOW,℠ our passion is to deliver a one-of-a-kind entertainment streaming service at a great value. Recently we introduced our True Cloud DVRBETAwith 20 free hours* and an updated user experience. And since our launch, we’ve added over 200 local channels nationwide.
In order to keep enhancements like these coming, we’re adjusting our prices. Starting 07/28/2018, the cost of your Go Big package will increase by $5/mo. to $40/mo.
We know value is important, and that’s why we are determined to keep packing in as many features and benefits as possible while continuing to keep your prices low.
Included with our most recent update:
20 hours FREE True Cloud DVRBETA
‑ Fast‑forward through commercials
‑ Record and playback on your phone, tablet & TV**
Thousands of on‑demand titles
Watch local channels away from your home city***
Upgraded user experience
Always On feature keeps your content playing as you navigate the app
Expanded, real‑time show information
New add-ons:
Option to add simultaneous 3rd stream
Option to add new Spanish language & sports packages
In the works:
Option to subscribe to 100 hours True Cloud DVRBETA
Parental controls feature
More ways to stream on your favorite devices
More local channels
Thank you for choosing DIRECTV NOW. Now let’s get back to streaming!
Sincerely,
Your DIRECTV NOW Team

Yeah, I just read an article about all of these streaming companies now at a base rate of $40.

They offered a service not as good as cable, but at a cheaper rate.  Now they are working to offer the same thing at the same rate.

I used to and still do use Kodi to watch tv shows.  If they up the bill again.  I will go back to not paying.  

It is not that big of a deal to wait 30 minutes for me to watch a show.  ESPN now has a subscription.  

I just read on Troypoint.com there are a couple of services I could get for $10 a month to stream 400 channels using my android devices...

Edited by BNB

22 hours ago, Okie State said:

I think the point is that everything is going to creep back up into that $80-$100 range once we've all switched. They'll keep adding pointless channels that nobody wants to justify the price increases and we'll be right back where we were.

we'll be cord repairers here soon

I have Dish and want to get the MLB.TV package for the Astros since I can't watch their games.  I have a PS3, but I believe you need a 4 for mlb.tv.  Is an amazon fire tv the best option for me?  I wouldn't mind a better option for watching amazon stuff on since I'm not crazy about the ps3 app that i use now.  I watch netflix through Dish and really wish Amazon would do something similar because it's much better than switching devices but in the meantime I'm guessing the fire tv would be a lot faster than what I have now.

Edited by kevwun

16 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I have Dish and want to get the MLB.TV package for the Astros since I can't watch their games.  I have a PS3, but I believe you need a 4 for mlb.tv.  Is an amazon fire tv the best option for me?  I wouldn't mind a better option for watching amazon stuff on since I'm not crazy about the ps3 app that i use now.  I watch netflix through Dish and really wish Amazon would do something similar because it's much better than switching devices but in the meantime I'm guessing the fire tv would be a lot faster than what I have now.

Do you live in the state of Texas? Well then fuck you.

gotta live out of state to get astros on MLB.TV.

for Houstonians, any streaming carry local news channels (Ch 2, 11, 13)?  It looks like Vieu does?  I'm looking at cutting cable but worried about local news (weather mainly) and then local Astros broadcasts.  anyone got solutions for those?

36 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Do you live in the state of Texas? Well then fuck you.

gotta live out of state to get astros on MLB.TV.

Well that sucks, thanks.  I thought they would give you the out of town broadcast if blackout or other restrictions applied.

I've read that, but I was hoping to watch them on my tv without using a chromecast or hooking a laptop up to it.  Looks like MLB extra innings through Dish is my only option for that and it's $175.

Edited by kevwun

for Houstonians, any streaming carry local news channels (Ch 2, 11, 13)?  It looks like Vieu does?  I'm looking at cutting cable but worried about local news (weather mainly) and then local Astros broadcasts.  anyone got solutions for those?
I get locals in Houston through YouTube TV. No dice on Astros though.

1 hour ago, UnivTex34 said:

So I have yet to get the notice from DTV Now that my prices are changing. Now I am using the AT&T Wireless unlimited discount, so maybe that affects it? Anyone know?

Per my email it states the change will take place on 7/28.  I have my bill auto draft, so I'm not sure if that is my bill due date or the date of the change..

So, I suppose look at your bill after that...

Edited by BNB

2 hours ago, mapplewhite132 said:

cross posted from the astros thread:

Get MLB.TV and then use a service like unlocator to spoof your location. I’ve been doing this for the past few years with an Apple TV. 

thanks for covering my lazy ass with the info.

4 hours ago, Okie State said:
15 hours ago, bularry1 said:

I get locals in Houston through YouTube TV. No dice on Astros though.

you like YouTube TV?  what internet service do you use?  what is speed?  thx

you like YouTube TV?  what internet service do you use?  what is speed?  thx
I do. I got it at the lower $35/month price and was grandfathered in. Interface is nice (two Chromecasts and one LG TV with built in app) and picture is high quality. We have Xfinity internet in the 100-150MB range.

Ughh.  I hate those calls.

I was looking over my moms bill recently.  She is paying $250 a month for Uverse.  2 tvs, phone, and 12mb internet.

I first called, got an Indian.  I couldn't understand what he was saying, so I asked to be escalated.  Then I spoke to someone with a spanish accent, but better.

I ended up in a shouting match.  I got her $50 off(600 for the year) with more channels(she wanted the Halmark Movie channel :) ) and 100 mb internet.  I was going for $100. :) 

I tried asking why I see $90 for all of this online and whether they value new customers more than her..  My mom is too nice, and was "ok" . I gave up and let my mom speak, as I got too livid..

I got suddenlink internet installed today. Speedtest shows >900mbs down 50mbs up in Pflugerville. Overkill, I get it.

I am using a Netgear CM700 modem I bought then read reviews. Evidently it had some Intel Puma Chipset that has some design flaw according to the interwebs. Two issues: latency issue and DoS susceptibility. From what I’ve read, latency would be most evident in online gaming which I don’t do much. But I don’t what to hang on to something with known flaws. I’m not seeing any issues but I’ll probably replace it with the CM1000 (Broadcom chip) because it’ll always be in the back of my head.

9 hours ago, BNB said:

Ughh.  I hate those calls.

I was looking over my moms bill recently.  She is paying $250 a month for Uverse.  2 tvs, phone, and 12mb internet.

I first called, got an Indian.  I couldn't understand what he was saying, so I asked to be escalated.  Then I spoke to someone with a spanish accent, but better.

I ended up in a shouting match.  I got her $50 off(600 for the year) with more channels(she wanted the Halmark Movie channel :) ) and 100 mb internet.  I was going for $100. :) 

I tried asking why I see $90 for all of this online and whether they value new customers more than her..  My mom is too nice, and was "ok" . I gave up and let my mom speak, as I got too livid..

The olds love their hallmark and smithsonian channels and don’t mind paying $50 extra for the top tiers to get them.

On 7/8/2018 at 9:37 PM, bularry1 said:

Why not get an antenna and pick them up over the air? Is there a reason you want to stream local channels?

Why not get an antenna and pick them up over the air? Is there a reason you want to stream local channels?

You didn’t ask me but ill respond anyway.
This setup works as I get access to both local and streaming channels but it isn’t ideal.
I’m already irritated by switching between antenna and PS Vue streaming.
  • Like 1

I played around with Kodi on an older Amazon Fire Stick this past weekend.  Fairly disappointed in the performance.   To watch a movie, it took me up to 5 minutes to find an source and start the movie.  And if the movie had annoying foreign subtitles, I had start over.     While I'm not expecting everything to work at the touch of a button, is this normal performance?

2 hours ago, bularry1 said:

No, just trying to keep it simple.  Antenna another something I've got to fuck with

I've got a roku for streaming and a digital antenna that I got off Amazon. Trying to find a streaming service for local channels seems more complicated than an antenna. Plus with a digital antenna you get all the sub channels. 

On 7/9/2018 at 10:52 AM, UnivTex34 said:

So I have yet to get the notice from DTV Now that my prices are changing. Now I am using the AT&T Wireless unlimited discount, so maybe that affects it? Anyone know?

I have the $15 discount via AT&T Wireless unlimited choice enhanced (they need a longer name!).  When I 1st signed up, they didn't give me the discount and later refunded me $15.  I have the "Just Right" $50 plan and they charged me last week $37 with that discount...

And HBO Go free via Directv login (even though I have Directv Now).

Only knock is Cartoon Network app off Roku won't let me sign in as Directv Now. I still get the channel on live tv but my kids can't watch the locked programs on Carton Network for the time being. Maybe Carton Network adds DTV Now sooner than later though....

AT&T is raising the prices of DirecTV Now starting this month, by an additional $5 monthly for all plans — a move that the telco says brings its entry-level internet-TV bundle in line with competitors.

AT&T’s $5-per-month price increase takes effect July 26, 2018. For customers who subscribed to DirecTV Now before then using a promo offer, the price won’t change until the promotion ends.

https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/att-directv-now-price-increase-1202863399/#respond

——————————-

Some random website that says the promo price won’t increase. We’ll see.

I recently paid $10 to add the ‘Spanish’ package add-on on direct tv now....It’s a fucking steal.

I currently have like 188 channels (counted one by one quickly), for $45 ($35 go big promo plus $10 Spanish) with directtv now....none of the channels are trash. None.

Mainly added the Spanish bundle on top of my go big promo cuz it’s a hell of a deal (literally like 60-70 Spanish channels)...and I gained like 10 extra sports channels (in Spanish). Primarily BeIn, gol tv, ESPN deportes, Fox deportes, and TyC sports (plus a ton of other Latin American channels that play a ton of sports). That translates to a fuck ton of soccer 24/7.

This setup a few years ago was definitely in the $200 range just for those channels, easy. Name a channel, I’m 99% sure I have it with this set up.

On 7/10/2018 at 9:55 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I played around with Kodi on an older Amazon Fire Stick this past weekend.  Fairly disappointed in the performance.   To watch a movie, it took me up to 5 minutes to find an source and start the movie.  And if the movie had annoying foreign subtitles, I had start over.     While I'm not expecting everything to work at the touch of a button, is this normal performance?

Kodi.

So, yes.  One might have to try a few different sources. It may take you five minutes.  You may find one with built in Subs.

It is a trade off.  How much do you want to see that certain item on a click of a button for 5 dollars, or can you go through waiting for a good stream to load for free..

I've also learned it depends on your streaming device.  I just got a Shield Tv, and compared to my old Fire Tv's it is super quick pulling up a stream.  It also depends on your Kodi addon.  I've had more luck lately with Neptune Rising over Placenta...

If you are on a Fire TV and just want to stream stuff.  There are apps like Terrarium .  Kodi is a media player, etc. bigger program.  This might work better for you..

https://troypoint.com/install-terrarium-tv-on-fire-tv-or-fire-tv-stick/

Edited by BNB

Houston cord cutters - do any of the streaming services offer KPRC (Channel 2 NBC) in their package?  I notice that Hulu shows they offer the other local channels (by call letters) but only mention NBC not KPRC.  A friend wants to cut the cable cord but she's a huge fan of local KPRC news.   NBC itself won't be enough.

On 7/8/2018 at 9:37 PM, bularry1 said:

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Houston cord cutters - do any of the streaming services offer KPRC (Channel 2 NBC) in their package?  I notice that Hulu shows they offer the other local channels (by call letters) but only mention NBC not KPRC.  A friend wants to cut the cable cord but she's a huge fan of local KPRC news.   NBC itself won't be enough.

powered tv antenna for OTA.  works great. i got one for $30 on amazon.

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

DTVNow has local NBC but as most have mentioned get a OTA antenna, its as simple as selecting your bluray player via the input button. The picture over the OTA is superior to any streaming device and you'll save your data

16 minutes ago, Smax said:

DTVNow has local NBC but as most have mentioned get a OTA antenna, its as simple as selecting your bluray player via the input button. The picture over the OTA is superior to any streaming device and you'll save your data

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

powered tv antenna for OTA.  works great. i got one for $30 on amazon.

I hear ya but my friend will not want to switch between inputs and will get lost trying to do so.  I'm helping her with the most basic option to get a few streaming channels and KPRC.   Hulu Live seems to offer NBC but they are silent on whether it is national only or local broadcast. 

Personally I use a combo of antenna for OTA and a few streaming services.