Cord Cutters Thread

Anyone in Houston with a ATSC 3.0/Next Gen TV? I missed the announcement that all of the major channels here started broadcasting with it a few weeks back.
I don’t know if I will spend the money on a external tuner now but will look to ensure the next TV has it built-in. Maybe 2023.

My Sony OLED has the 3.0 tuner. I haven't even researched it. What am I supposed to notice is different?

12 minutes ago, Okie State said:

My Sony OLED has the 3.0 tuner. I haven't even researched it. What am I supposed to notice is different?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC_3.0

The standards are designed to offer support for newer technologies, including HEVC for video channels of up to 2160p 4K resolution at 120 frames per second, wide color gamut, high dynamic range, Dolby AC-4 and MPEG-H 3D Audio, datacasting capabilities, and more robust mobile television support.[1][4] The capabilities have also been foreseen as a way to enable finer public alerting and targeted advertising.

A U.S. consortium known as AWARN has advocated for the use of ATSC 3.0 features, including datacasting, and automatically waking up devices, in order to provide an emergency alert system with support for embedded rich media and finer geotargeting. These features are defined within the "Advanced Emergency Alerting" portions of the ATSC 3.0 standards.[15][16]

Consumer advocates have noted the opportunity in which ATSC 3.0 can allow advertisers to run targeted advertising. The targeted ads would allow advertisers to track more directly viewer ratings rather than indirectly by companies such as Nielsen Media Research. The FCC is expected to defer the decision on targeted ads to be in accordance with Federal Trade Commission's guidelines on privacy.[68]

Edited by Francisco 2.0

It will also allow localized info/weather crawls like cable TV, and some interactivity like online purchasing, and some limited integration with an internet connection, like viewing web cams.

It basically catches OTA TV up with some mild tech that cable has had for a long time.

Some of the cooler things I saw on a demo was what they can do with audio. It allows a ton more audio quality and feeds. So you could have several language options for OTA or a choice between home or away play calling for sports.

1 hour ago, Okie State said:
4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:
Anyone in Houston with a ATSC 3.0/Next Gen TV? I missed the announcement that all of the major channels here started broadcasting with it a few weeks back.
I don’t know if I will spend the money on a external tuner now but will look to ensure the next TV has it built-in. Maybe 2023.

Not all features will be turned on immediately. I’m sure it’s a station by station decision, and I’ve heard that it’s still being tested out by stations since they don’t expect many viewers to have access yet.  The good news is that you don’t need a different antenna than a normal one, and the signal should be even better via 3.0.

if you have an antenna, you may need rescan your channels for the tv to recognize an atsc 3.0 signal. But there are few how-to guides out there. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Feric89 said:

Who are using amazon firestick, and converted into jailbreak? I read about the Jailbreaking firestick to enjoy the entertainment on free platforms.

يرجى التفضل بإرسال رسالة خاصة إلى ديركا حول هذا الأمر المهم. إنه مثل الله في هذا الموقع.

• Haha 1

Jailbreaking a firestick means making changes on amazon firestick to allow access to install third party apps that provides free entertainment. Free is much better than investing on it.  Making changes on amazon firestick is legal. This one might be more helpful to understand, where I read about it. But haven't performed it.

https://howtofirestick.com/jailbreak-firestick/

2 hours ago, Feric89 said:

Jailbreaking a firestick means making changes on amazon firestick to allow access to install third party apps that provides free entertainment. Free is much better than investing on it.  Making changes on amazon firestick is legal. This one might be more helpful to understand, where I read about it. But haven't performed it.

https://howtofirestick.com/jailbreak-firestick/

So if there any use other real use than streaming pirated content? I mean sure jail-breaking a firestick is not illegal, but most of what you do with it after than is illegal. If you are using a VPN with it that's a sure sign.

But more importantly, just know the apps you are downloading onto your jail broken firestick almost assuredly have malware embedded in them. Its the digital thief's holy grail... free access to your home network without any recourse. 

• Hook 'Em 1

No chance in hell I click on that link

42 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Any word on when YTTV will restore custom guides?

If you're talking about the ESPN/Disney/ABC channels, you have to go to YTTV online and click the box next to each channel to add it back into your guide.  While doing this, I realized that pretty much everything that has been added to YTTV over the years hasn't been in my guide because I didn't add it.  Seems like added to the guide ought to be the default.

If you're talking about the ESPN/Disney/ABC channels, you have to go to YTTV online and click the box next to each channel to add it back into your guide.  While doing this, I realized that pretty much everything that has been added to YTTV over the years hasn't been in my guide because I didn't add it.  Seems like added to the guide ought to be the default.

Yeah, this happened to me once, too. I had a WTF moment there.
  • Hook 'Em 1

When I went in to readd Mouse channels, it goofed up the whole guide...had to redo the whole thing. But so worth it for a custom guide. All sports on top, then locals, than movie cables, then the rest. Kids channels at the bottom because my kids don't watch TV at all. It's 100% YouTube or streaming services.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
Surlies! Help a brother out. What's the cheapest streaming route to receive and record/DVR the LHN? On U-Verse now and simply can't stand to give AT&T my $$ any longer. 
FWIW, there are only two basketball games left on LHN this year, KSU and Iowa State. I know baseball is right around the corner.
  • Hook 'Em 1

YTTV Most Watched is interesting and not super accurate. Stations I've never watched are above stations I do watch. First ten or so are probably correct if DVR activity is factored in, but MTV2 and Hallmark certainly aren't in my top 15. Not aware we've ever watched anything on those channels. And Hallmark hasn't been on YTTV long enough to rank anywhere high even if we had. QVC is above all news channels. Never watched it. Mildly curious what the algorithm is up to and if channel owners can influence the order. The channels also seem to be mildly grouped by type as well. Lots of kids channels, news channels, and sports channels, are sort of lumped together. That's got nothing to do with most watched in my case.

I do not recall the last time anyone in the house watched anything on Freeform, but it's top 10 most watched. That's why I think it's looking more at your DVR activity. As as every Marvel movie in Disney movie re-records/tags the latest version on the cloud DVR. 

28 minutes ago, DCLonghorn said:

YTTV Most Watched is interesting and not super accurate. Stations I've never watched are above stations I do watch. First ten or so are probably correct if DVR activity is factored in, but MTV2 and Hallmark certainly aren't in my top 15. Not aware we've ever watched anything on those channels. And Hallmark hasn't been on YTTV long enough to rank anywhere high even if we had. QVC is above all news channels. Never watched it. Mildly curious what the algorithm is up to and if channel owners can influence the order. The channels also seem to be mildly grouped by type as well. Lots of kids channels, news channels, and sports channels, are sort of lumped together. That's got nothing to do with most watched in my case.

I do not recall the last time anyone in the house watched anything on Freeform, but it's top 10 most watched. That's why I think it's looking more at your DVR activity. As as every Marvel movie in Disney movie re-records/tags the latest version on the cloud DVR. 

The internet of things has probably become self-aware on your network and is watching shows when you're not around

I negotiated a great price for Dish last year and that finally ran out.  They've always been will to negotiate in the past but this time they're making it much tougher. So we finally decided to give YoutubeTV a try. When I called to cancel they offered me exactly what I was paying before the increase, but I'd already made up my mind.  Besides, YTTV was a few bucks cheaper.  Dish was willing to put a 3 month hold on my account in case I wanted to return so we did that.  This first week we've been mostly happy with YTTV.  There is one thing I'd like changed....for instance, I'd like to delete individual watched episodes from my Library rather than just have them marked as "watched".

But the real test came today, though - recording a football game.  I prefer to start it about 45-60 minutes after kickoff so I can skip commercials for at least the first half. However, I didn't get started on the GB-SF game until the game was already over.  I keep getting error messages when trying to play it, though.  Same thing happened to me with a basketball game a couple of days ago.  Is this a common occurrence when trying to watch sporting events? Because fucking around with watching games will drive me right back to Dish.

I negotiated a great price for Dish last year and that finally ran out.  They've always been will to negotiate in the past but this time they're making it much tougher. So we finally decided to give YoutubeTV a try. When I called to cancel they offered me exactly what I was paying before the increase, but I'd already made up my mind.  Besides, YTTV was a few bucks cheaper.  Dish was willing to put a 3 month hold on my account in case I wanted to return so we did that.  This first week we've been mostly happy with YTTV.  There is one thing I'd like changed....for instance, I'd like to delete individual watched episodes from my Library rather than just have them marked as "watched".
But the real test came today, though - recording a football game.  I prefer to start it about 45-60 minutes after kickoff so I can skip commercials for at least the first half. However, I didn't get started on the GB-SF game until the game was already over.  I keep getting error messages when trying to play it, though.  Same thing happened to me with a basketball game a couple of days ago.  Is this a common occurrence when trying to watch sporting events? Because fucking around with watching games will drive me right back to Dish.
I've never experienced that one.

Firestick. Tried it on my PC and phone, too, with the same result. 

Well, that exhausts my only suggestion. That's weird. Haven't encountered that and I watch a lot of sports minor delayed for exactly the same reason. Mostly ESPNs and NBCs. But if it's on all devices, that seems to be a YTTV DVR issue.

They are pretty responsive if you reach out to customer support.

11 hours ago, Burt said:

No. 

20 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Every now and then I have to delete and restart the app

Or just reboot the firestick/roku/whathaveyou.  YTTV got hung up loading last night.  A quick reboot and problem solved.

Edited by dcbc

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Just ditched Dish after 12 years. Went with fire sticks and YTTV.

17 year veteran here who recently ditched them.  The YT DVR has taken a little getting use to, but we've been mostly happy these past few weeks with the switch.  The only thing I'm not thrilled about is the lack of the Longhorn Network.  I can log into my mom-in-law's Dish to watch it needed, but her internet is so damn wonky that it can be a pain in the ass sometimes.  And I have the ESPN+ option, but I'm not always around to watch it live.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just canceled U verse. What’s the best streaming for your buck? I need local channels and sports. My wife (no pics) also likes watching cable news sometimes. Most everything else is covered by the various subscriptions my family has added over the years.

I know all these have probably been covered, but I really don’t want to read the whole thread. You can also just tell me to fuck off and read the thread.

4 hours ago, 1978horn said:

Just canceled U verse. What’s the best streaming for your buck? I need local channels and sports. My wife (no pics) also likes watching cable news sometimes. Most everything else is covered by the various subscriptions my family has added over the years.

I know all these have probably been covered, but I really don’t want to read the whole thread. You can also just tell me to fuck off and read the thread.

For Sling, you'll need their combined package ($50/mo) to get ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 and the NFL Network.  Then you'll still have to fork over an additional $11 to get ESPN U, ESPN News, MLB, LH Network, , SEC, ACC, Pac 12 (no Big 10 or CBS Sports).  That comes with 50 hrs of DVR time.  An additional $5 will get you 200 hrs.  And their locals are hit and miss...and even when they hit you only get Fox and NBC.

YouTube TV has everything listed above minus the LH Network for $65. They also offer unlimited DVR for free. If you've never used it before, they normally have a 30 day free offer to try it out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1