Cord Cutters Thread

I chickened out and bought AT&T fiber 100 mbps with U-verse U300 and hbo for $110/month before taxes, and with a $50 account credit. Every cord cutting scenario left me with the same or higher price, fewer channels, concerns about data caps or throttling, and questions about stream quality and remote control button push hassle.

That’s how they get ya.

34 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Yeah the goal is to go barebones if possible.

I didn’t try ESPN app. Punted back to Uverse (I have both for the moment).

I mean, its not like those networks were included in the Matrix for the lowest tier, and they do tend to carry games often. Its been pretty standard to need at least tier two for all of the streaming options to get the sports networks. Carry the higher tier for football season, then downgrade.

I bought an Amazon Fire TV Cube on Amazon day.  Finally got around to connecting it and I am pleased / impressed.  The Alexa voice recognition is pretty good.  I'm using PS Vue and Netflix / Amazpn prime. mainly.    My 5 year old thinks it's magic.

To someone's point earlier, it does begin to add up with PS Vue,  the devices, netflix, prime, hulu, noggin, etc.  Still cheaper than what Verizon/Frontier was bending me over for and I was paying for netflix, prime, hulu anyway.

On 8/30/2018 at 8:52 PM, Dbeasy said:

I chickened out and bought AT&T fiber 100 mbps with U-verse U300 and hbo for $110/month before taxes, and with a $50 account credit. Every cord cutting scenario left me with the same or higher price, fewer channels, concerns about data caps or throttling, and questions about stream quality and remote control button push hassle.

Part of cord cutting is not needing 300 channels.  Sounds like you got a good deal.  How long is the contract?

On 8/31/2018 at 3:52 AM, Dbeasy said:

The solution is to stop watching television programming

Fuck me. Sling is fucking me right now.  I have all content via sling (blue, orange, sports) which INCLUDES FS1, and yet...for some fucked up unknown god damn reason, I’m not able to watch the Longhorns.  I’m throwing shit right now.  Fuck you, Sling!

EDIT:  First time I’ve ever seen having access to a channel, and not having the content.  I live in 78727 (Austin).  WTF!

Edited by Izhmash

12 minutes ago, Izhmash said:

Fuck me. Sling is fucking me right now.  I have all content via sling (blue, orange, sports) which INCLUDES FS1, and yet...for some fucked up unknown god damn reason, I’m not able to watch the Longhorns.  I’m throwing shit right now.  Fuck you, Sling!

EDIT:  First time I’ve ever seen having access to a channel, and not having the content.  I live in 78727 (Austin).  WTF!

You're not missing anything. 

46 minutes ago, Godzillatron said:

Using DirectTV Now DVR to catch up on Maryland game during rain delay. Controls really clunky, make it tough to quickly scan through a game and skip the dead spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously?  Was just informed by others that DirectTV Now was a better option over Sling.  FML...

48 minutes ago, Izhmash said:

Seriously?  Was just informed by others that DirectTV Now was a better option over Sling.  FML...

Then switch.  One of the best aspects of the streaming options is that there is not a commitment and takes seconds to sign up for another one.  There is usually a free trial period as well.

6 hours ago, Izhmash said:

Well Sling was blacked out for our game in Austin for some reason, but probably for the better. DTVNow is a much better interface, just not like using a dvr most are used to. 

Please teach me how to do that.  I can't fucking stand this DVR- mostly b/c I don't know how to make this shit work!
Yeah I assume because it's in the cloud it doesn't show you real time ffwding. I hit the 15 second button 7-9 times and that usually takes me through a commercial.

On that note. I'm hoping with people using their devices as cable boxes, the streaming devices will soon start adding more buttons to the remote. Stupid how they have so few. My Shield TV is terrible with two buttons and the circle. Or hopefully the TV services will support it if u have a Logitech remote? Does anyone have one hooked up? It would be nice to have like a guide button, etc.

On 9/1/2018 at 11:35 AM, Izhmash said:

Sorry I didn't see this yesterday. Same scenario for me but I just downloaded fox sports app to watch the game. Of course, I had to use my sling login to authenticate fox sports access. 

I am about done with sling

Edited by pacman
  • Like 1

Thanks guys.  I've cooled down just a bit since the game (required a couple days of dousing bourbon on the flames).  I'm good with regional blackouts on certain content...but I wish I had some way to know it was going to happen.  I just simply lost it when I couldn't get the channel to respond.  Even googling didn't really help me, as I found article after article of how I could watch the games via Sling - one even recommended downloading the WatchESPN app (which I did, and it too told me I didn't have access).  Did not consider the Fox app.  How is it possible that we can download the Fox App and watch using a sling account that we've paid for (this makes sense on the surface), but not be able to stream it directly from Sling?  It's just dumb-fuckery. 

Going to take some time to eval options forward...

10 hours ago, Rimbo said:

i did the trial for YouTube TV this weekend

after the game, cancelled the trial

I'll try again next year... maybe

Same here. Couldn't figure out the best option for the whole season so I did a free trial of whatever Fubo.TV is to watch the game and give myself another week to figure it out. Turns out it won't be an issue after all.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2018 at 9:39 AM, UnivTex34 said:

I mean, its not like those networks were included in the Matrix for the lowest tier, and they do tend to carry games often. Its been pretty standard to need at least tier two for all of the streaming options to get the sports networks. Carry the higher tier for football season, then downgrade.

I think I'm going to have to bail on DTV Now anyway. Not being able to rewind live TV feels like regressing ten years in technology.

I've read that YouTube TV lets you do that but they are missing a bunch of channels I need for WAF.

Maybe PS Vue.

3 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I think I'm going to have to bail on DTV Now anyway. Not being able to rewind live TV feels like regressing ten years in technology.

I've read that YouTube TV lets you do that but they are missing a bunch of channels I need for WAF.

Maybe PS Vue.

We liked PSVue for over a year. Got tired of them removing channels and never adding new ones. Them removing CBS with less than 3 hours notice was the last straw.

14 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Maybe PS Vue.

Yeah it's hard to find a service that's just right, there's trade-offs with each one.

18 hours ago, UnivTex34 said:

We liked PSVue for over a year. Got tired of them removing channels and never adding new ones. Them removing CBS with less than 3 hours notice was the last straw.

Looks like CBS is available for me. What else did they remove? The channel selection looks like it covers all the ones we watch at the $50 level.

Looks like no Sinclair or Viacom. Sinclair doesn't affect me, and looking at Viacom: no big loss there. 

Evaluating cord cutting lineups really makes you rethink what you watch, and makes me realize we get a ton of channels we don't care about. We really on need locals and sports networks for me, HGTV, cooking shows, and Bravo for the wife, and Disney XD for the kids. We get everything else through Netflix, PPV, HBO Now, etc.

On 9/6/2018 at 7:35 AM, Gator Dave said:

Yeah it's hard to find a service that's just right, there's trade-offs with each one.

Had a friend that told me that she wanted to be a cord cutter and save upwards of $100/month but she wanted all the same channels and technology/features that xfinity was giving her.   I had to break the news to her that cord cutting meant some sacrifices.  

Probably switching to sling for a bit. Cheapest way to add Redzone.

blows my mind that DTVnow doesn’t even offer it as an add on when Vue, Sling, Fubo all offer it streaming.

I have the same problem , looks like Verizon phones can get the plan but they block all ways to stream to tv, dammit.

29 minutes ago, Quagmire said:

I have the same problem , looks like Verizon phones can get the plan but they block all ways to stream to tv, dammit.

You can do sling for $35. Need the blue plan plus the sports pack. It’s the cheapest way to get streaming RedZone. I just activated our 7 day trial. We went blue and orange plus sports, since I’m about to turn off DTV.

No Astros on DirecTV now. You need att sports net. I ended up switching back to a uverse promo because of this

Astros watching question for those of y'all in Austin. 
Is it possible?
Prior to moving back to TX I used MLB at bat which doesn't work anymore. I'm still on DirectTV Now currently. 

On 9/8/2018 at 5:38 PM, YChang said:

Astros watching question for those of y'all in Austin. 

Is it possible?

Prior to moving back to TX I used MLB at bat which doesn't work anymore. I'm still on DirectTV Now currently. 

2 hours ago, Updawg said:

No Astros on DirecTV now. You need att sports net. I ended up switching back to a uverse promo because of this

https://www.reddit.com/r/MLBStreams/

For RedZone:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nflstreams/

You'll have to wait until there are live games for them to show up at both those links.

Edited by Gator Dave

3 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Ding ding ding. 

Other than sports, our TV never gets turned on for broadcasts. I don't miss it in the slightest.

Some of the guys above pointed out... Instead of paying 1 cable provider for a box with 100 channels they don't need, now they pay 4 different vendors each with 25 channels (sorry, "streams") they don't need.  And they have to manage their own box.

The dream of a la carte programming is alas still a dream.

We have:

-a standard tv package that we don't watch (comes as $5-10 premium on top of internet we need anyway);

-amazon prime tv sub that we don't watch (comes with the shopping sub); 

-a family-shared netflix that we don't watch.

I end up just illegally streaming sports (easy to find in HD).  And we pirate the occasional tv shows people recommend and that's already more than we have time for....

I tried Direct TV Now this past weekend to watch the Tulsa game and it was really disappointing (beyond the product on the field).

I had the game recorded and was several minutes behind live TV. When I would fast forward, it wouldn't show how close to live TV I was getting and it would show the game as it was fast forwarding. It would also take forever to buffer and restart the game when I would fast forward. Literally fast forward 15 seconds and then wait 30 seconds for it to start playing again. Also didn't seem to have an obvious way to switch over to the live game. I tried once and when I came back to the DVR, it restarted from the beginning. Better yet it screwed up and said there were -586337842 hours remaining in the recording, so trying to find my spot was impossible.

Is this just the suck you get with a cloud based DVR? I was watching on a Fire Stick, so maybe some of this is just a limitation of that interface. Regardless, it was awful and I'm cancelling before my 7 day trial is up.